The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:12 pm 

Five years ago I built a 1:160 (N Scale) Admirable-class minesweeper for my railroad. I used the free plans from digitalnavy.com, scaled to 1:160, and constructed it from styrene rather than cardstock.

I am now building a series of Aggressive-class minesweepers. I drew the plans on my computer from a set in the US Navy's Booklet of General Plans and then used a digital cutter to cut styrene sheets to size. These are shots of the general hull construction--the first prototypes, as I learned the idiosyncrasies of the cutter and Adobe Illustrator:

I hope to sell these to model railroaders when I have finished detailing them. The digital cutter allows me to cut even small parts with great precision. This is particularly important for parts like brackets.

These are waterline models. Anyone have any experience in casting resin hulls of up to 1 meter long by 8 cm beam and perhaps 4 cm high (max)? I.e., Fletcher hulls. The Aggressive hulls would be about 350 cm x 8 cm x 4 cm. Or can point me to a source of manufacturing information?

Pete Nolan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:02 pm 

a forgotten type of minesweeper: Auk Class.

similar to the Raven Class, Auk served in other navies post war- the Philippine Navy included; two are still in operation at this time ( yes, talk about ancient!), the BRP Rizal and BRP Quezon which will be the subject of this project im doing during the holidays:

Converted an LCP raven cast off into an Auk- experimenting still at this point how to make a decent model of either Quezon or Rizal.... :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:17 am 

Anyone know of a kit for any of the Lipwing (Bird) class in 1/350th? Or something that can be modified to it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:10 pm 

Hi,

Apart from the blueprints available from dreadnought, does anyone know if modellers plans are available for the German M35 class of minesweepers as used in WWII?

I was looking for a scale of, say, 1/48th of possible.

Thanks for any help.

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:19 am 

other than the Auk class minesweepers im building, im also making PCEs- LCP kits that came in 4 - but i ran out of a few accessories like flag bags, decent 3'50 guns, paravanes (see the white paravanes that came with the kit as compared to the colored ones i caster) and hose reels so i casted my own....a pain for folks with poor eyesight like me but heck what we do for the hobby....

all the minesweepers under construction:

:-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:44 am 

the 2 Auks and the PCE slowly getting there....

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:07 pm 

Nice work jepot, thanks for sharing. :wave_1:

"Oh Lord thy sea is so great and my boat is so small."
Breton Fisherman's Prayer

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:49 pm 

Hi:

Does anyone offers a kit of a Ton class minesweeper?
I know White Ensign made one time ago but it´s discontinued now.
Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Pat

In the yard:
USS Gudgeon 1/350
Alfa 1/350
Queue:
Guppy II 1/350
Leonardo Da Vinci 1/350
Type 212 1/350
ARA Santiago del Estero 1/144
USS Nautilus 1/350
ARA San Juan 1/350
ARA Chiriguano 1/350
Severodvinsk 1/350

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:09 am 

Quote:
Does anyone offers a kit of a Ton class minesweeper?
I know White Ensign made one time ago but it´s discontinued now.

Yes, you are right, WEM did have one about ten years ago, and they never re-issued it. Alas.

Currently I'm preparing a new 1/350 kit of the Dutch Dokkum class minesweeper/minehunter, which shares the same hull as the Ton (and the French Sirius) class, as these were all built to the same WU (Western Union) specification as it was called then. I cannot yet tell when it will be available on the market, please bear with me!

Attachments:
km18.jpg
km18.jpg [ 42.29 KiB | Viewed 12433 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:55 am 

Than you for the good news!
I want to build some of our minehunters, like ARA Chaco.(ex HMS Rennington.)
I hope you can release your kit.

Saludos

Patricio

In the yard:
USS Gudgeon 1/350
Alfa 1/350
Queue:
Guppy II 1/350
Leonardo Da Vinci 1/350
Type 212 1/350
USS Nautilus 1/350
ARA San Juan 1/350
ARA Chiriguano 1/350
Severodvinsk 1/350

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:40 pm 

I realize this isnt a WIP thread...but we are not as well represented as the BB or CVN guys.......so here is my addition.

Its Lindhbergs 1/125 "Admirable" class Sweeper. I started this two years ago for the wife's granddad who served on the AM238 "Garland" from 42 until the end of the war. The Gentleman died shortly after I brgan this build.....I sorta pushed it to the back of the display cabnit after that. I really do need to blow off the dust and get ' "er" finished up..... anyway...here is mine.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:19 am 

gott_cha wrote:
I realize this isnt a WIP thread...but we are not as well represented as the BB or CVN guys.......so here is my addition.

Its Lindhbergs 1/125 "Admirable" class Sweeper. I started this two years ago for the wife's granddad who served on the AM238 "Garland" from 42 until the end of the war. The Gentleman died shortly after I brgan this build.....I sorta pushed it to the back of the display cabnit after that. I really do need to blow off the dust and get ' "er" finished up..... anyway...here is mine.

hey gp for it! eagerly waitin for the finished product!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:30 am 

Well thanks Jepot.

Yeah,..I need to for sure. Seems I'm doing more "Builds for others" these days and this build and 3 or 4 others of mine keep getting pushed to the side. Wow...I have a WIF 1942 Arizona.....a BB55...a 1/144 Fletcher class DD..a 1/250 Clemson class DD and a 1/28 full rigged sopwith Camel project(s) started and left at various stages of completion.....all put back into the curio shelf for a "Latter Day".....LOL Seems I never get to build for me haahaaa.

But yes I really do need to get back on this for no other reason that its now a Memorial for a "passed-on" old Sea-Dog. Maybe I can get my desk clear by mid-summer and get back to MY builds for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:09 am 

Great job!
How long does the model measures at that scale?

thanks

Patricio

In the yard:
USS Gudgeon 1/350
Alfa 1/350
Queue:
Guppy II 1/350
Leonardo Da Vinci 1/350
Type 212 1/350
USS Nautilus 1/350
ARA San Juan 1/350
ARA Chiriguano 1/350
Severodvinsk 1/350

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:19 pm 

Well Pat it measures out at 17 3/4 us inches long....not real big but can be packed with detail if a person is willing to do the research.
The Lindy kit is a decent starting point.....but that is all it is...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:18 am 

Hi im a short time lurker and new member to this forum with an interest in mine sweepers,
ive just spent fourteen years in the navy on sandowns (girly pretend mine hunters) and hunts which are beautiful little ships.
Not done much in the way of modelling nearly finished the hms badger from calder craft then onto scratch building a hunt.
I have a few phots kicking around and if anybody if building a hunt ive a fair bit of knowledge on layouts of deck gear and fittings that you cant usually find on the internet.
look forward to getting to know the rest of you small ship fans.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:17 am 

Hi Paul,

Welcome and good luck with your build.

There are a couple of warships dedicated model forums in the UK (the URLS I don't have with me at the moment, but I can post them later) and there are a couple of folk on there building Hunts so they may be interested in any info you can provide. These are larger scale R/C builds.

All the best
Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:41 pm 

I am working on converting the Lindberg Minesweeper into the USS Pirate that was lost early in the Korean War. The photos in Floating Drydock's Admirable Class CD show floats stored on the splinter shield for the 40mm mounts. They are labeled as sweep floats or something similar on the drawings and photos in the CD. Were these actually dan buoys instead? Does anyone have an idea of the actual color of these floats? In one book that I have read on YMS's during WWII, the author referred to them as yellow balsa floats. I could see a dan bouy being some bright color since they would be used to mark the swept channel, but wasn't some other vessel usually used to for that purpose?

Thanks for your assistance. Have been visiting the website for years and just recently stumbled across the forum.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:18 am 
In Oslo, Norway, we have an old Adjutant Class minesweeper named KNM (Royal Norwegian Navy) ALTA. She is a fully working museum ship, and is kept and sailed by a crew of enthusiasts.

For more info on KNM Alta, please see: http://www.hnsa.org/ships/alta.htm
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH--ld87vGo

However, I'm looking for a model kit of this ship. Building a model from scratch is not an option at this time, so a plastic kit (or a more sophisticated kit) will do for now.

Can anyone help me, please?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:06 am 

Hi

I can do a 1/72nd scale Ton class hull with decks (they are almost the same, but will need some modification).

Here is a picture;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25721684@N ... 2269542118

I can also do the YMS hull which was also used by very many European navies after WWII.

Regards, Christian.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next