The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:10 am 

Matt,

How detailed are the Atlanta plans? I've thought often of building a model of her to go with my Weehawken.

Yes, those Cairo plans are nice. I'm in the planning stages of my 1/96th scale scratch-build of the Carondolet. I need to clear some projects off of the workbench and pick up sheet styrene at the plastic shops down in Chinatown, but I hope to start cutting plastic and building the hull by mid-July.

-Devin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:29 am 

I came across an interesting paper model site on Paddleducks the other day that contain some interesting subjects:

http://www.myspace.com/mmpapermodels

All files are hi-res & quite capable of being enlarged to just about any scale you want.

Chuck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:46 am 

The Lehigh and Albermarle are new. I downloaded the other models sometime last year. I've already enlarged the Perry gunboat kit to 1/96th scale, but it's waterline so I've been stalled on the lower hull. While talking with David Meagher, though, he said he'd do a quick drawing of those converted ferries that I can pull hull lines and interior spaces from.

* I just looked closer over that MySpace page and it says the man who created those models passed away earlier this year. Pity.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:27 pm 

Devin, thanks for the news about Mr. Meagher offering to do hull drawings for the ferries. Keep us advised on that one. Commodore Perry has been a project discussed in the past but I'm also interested in Coeur de Lion with its background as the tow for Professor Lowe's balloon barge. That would make for a rather interesting and fun RC project. :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:44 pm 

Will do. We've spoken about the ferries several times. One thing to keep in mind is that the paper model on that site of the Perry shows her as having an identical bow and stern; a true double-ender. In reality she was not like that, which you can tell by studying what few photos there are of her and the others.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:13 pm 

Devin wrote:
The Lehigh and Albermarle are new. I downloaded the other models sometime last year. I've already enlarged the Perry gunboat kit to 1/96th scale, but it's waterline so I've been stalled on the lower hull. While talking with David Meagher, though, he said he'd do a quick drawing of those converted ferries that I can pull hull lines and interior spaces from.

* I just looked closer over that MySpace page and it says the man who created those models passed away earlier this year. Pity.

How do you download the files? I get redirected and after downloading it's a .rar file, what he heck is that?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:25 pm 

A .rar file is a type of compressed archive, much like a .zip file, but a different format. Do a Google search for WinRar, a free program that will open the files.

If you have problems, send me a PM with your direct email address and I'll send you them as ZIP files.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:25 pm 

Its another compression format similar to .zip files that you'll need the app to open. http://www.rarlab.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:05 pm 

Devin wrote:
Matt,

How detailed are the Atlanta plans? I've thought often of building a model of her to go with my Weehawken.

Yes, those Cairo plans are nice. I'm in the planning stages of my 1/96th scale scratch-build of the Carondolet. I need to clear some projects off of the workbench and pick up sheet styrene at the plastic shops down in Chinatown, but I hope to start cutting plastic and building the hull by mid-July.

-Devin

Fairly well detailed, certainly more than sufficient to build a 1/96 model of her.

Sheet 1: Top and starboard view, well detailed inclduing the various openings at the top of the casemate
Sheet 2: Casemate interior, again well detailed with placement of the shutter tackle and such
Sheet 3: Overall lines
Sheet 4:Cross-section of the ship and top views of the other two decks, including engine and machinery details.

As is typical for David's plans, they are really nice. I hope to start working on the hull in a couple of weeks myself.

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:08 pm 

Devin wrote:
Matt,

-Devin

On that note, I really like pairing opposing ships together, so the surrendered Atlanta with the Weehawken alonside is my first pick. Then I'll go with the Arkansas right alongside the Carondolet immediately before firing her depressed guns. Minimizes the space for both to be displayed.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:55 pm 

And here I thought I was going to be the only one with a Carondolet! I want to do something different than Cairo, as everyone does her, and Carondolet was the most-engaged ship of the Civil War, and the most famous of the City Class until they haphazardly raised Cairo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:06 pm 

Devin wrote:
And here I thought I was going to be the only one with a Carondolet! I want to do something different than Cairo, as everyone does her, and Carondolet was the most-engaged ship of the Civil War, and the most famous of the City Class until they haphazardly raised Cairo.

Nope, not the only one. The thing with the City class is that the Cairo is only famous because she still exists to be seen. Besides, having her next to the Arkansas is the perfect example of capturing an important moment in history as opposed to displaying the model with scenery.

Matt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:55 am 

I returned from a trip to visit family out Indiana-way and had a big tube-o-plans from David Meagher waiting on me. One set of drawings for Onondaga, and one for the CSS Missouri (a very cool casement ironclad where the top of the paddle wheel was exposed and extended out of the top of the hull) rounded out his already available stuff.

In the tube were also three sets of brand new drawings he just completed. One was the Aleck Scott. This is a pre-war, multi-decked, side-wheeled (how many hyphenated words can I use in one post?) steam ship. This boat is of interest to me for two reasons: the first is that Mark Twain worked on her as a pilot pre-war; the second is that during the war she was converted to the ironclad USS Lafayette.

And, therefore, the second set of new drawings is of USS Lafayette. It's astounding to see the changes they made to this boat; no simple "slap on the armor plating" job by a long shot. Both Aleck Scott and Lafayette have multiple sheets, including deck views, hull lines and frames, a sheet showing differences before and after, and full length profile and overhead views, and cut-away views with detailed interior.

The final new drawing is of the very cool Commodore Perry, a New York City ferry converted to a gunboat. This is a simple plan and profile view with hull lines and frames, not much else. (it may be a single sheet, going from memory).

The Scott, Lafayette and Perry are not on any of his price lists, so email him direct if you want to purchase them. Very highly recommended drawings.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:41 am 

Does anyone have any questions for David Meagher? He's up here in 'Jersey for work and he and I will be getting together to talk Ironclads on Sunday. He's promised to bring along the new 1/48th scale City Class plans he's doing so I can see some of the process.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:17 pm 

Hi Guys,
Wow!!!!!! This thread is amazing. I am thrilled to learn just how many Civil War (War of Northern Aggression to us Southerners) ironclad fans there are out in the world. I have built several ironclad models over the years. I build to a scale of 1:240, 1"=20'. My models are half-hull and mounted in a shadowbox. Hanging them on the wall takes up less space in my hobby room.

I am a civil/structural designer by trade so I create a lot of my own drawings. Attached is a drawing (in progress) of the USS Spuyten Duyvil. Does anyone know how the bow doors worked to expose the spar?

I am currently working on a model of the USS Passaic. After viewing this thread I have a question. How many of the monitors were painted blue/gray? I always thought they were all black.

Thanks,

Fishjay

Attachments:
File comment: drawing of Spuyten Duyvil
sptndvl-sml.jpg
sptndvl-sml.jpg [ 54.38 KiB | Viewed 3760 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:05 am 

Fishjay,

There were specific directives to give the Passaic and Canonicus class monitors "unique" color schemes so that they would be easily distinguishable to commanders. Very few monitors were overall black; I can think of the original Monitor, the Tecumseh, and the Nahant off of the top of my head, most were various shades of black and gray with bright colors of red, green or blue in bands around the stack and/or turret.

In this thread somewhere Chuck gives a link to a PDF book about ironclads. The color plates at the end of that book are accurate to written descriptions; I remember questioning a few items in those drawings, but nothing major and I can't even recall what they were.

**edit: here's the link for the above-mentioned PDF

http://walternelson.com/ironclads.pdf

I have little knowledge of USS Spuyten Duyvil, but I know there are a lot of period researchers that are interested in that little boat. Are the doors you speak a clam shell type affair at the bow?

-Devin

p.s. Your "war of northern aggression" quote reminded me of a tour at Gettysburg. An older gentleman used the name Civil War to refer to the conflict and someone "corrected" him by calling it the war of northern aggression. Without missing a beat he said "you don't call it the war of northern aggression and I won't call it the war of southern arrogance". That still makes me laugh.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:20 pm 

I found your forum while googling Civil War Ironclads. I've been a modeller all my life including 54mm miniatures. Most of my plastic experience has been WWII aircraft but my real passion is the American Civil War especially naval subjects. I built the old Monitor-Merrimack duo when it first came out, the original Lindberg/Pyro/??? Harriet Lane that I think is now marketed as a blockade runner. I'm slowly working on the 1/96th Revell CSS Alabama but that is almost a scratch build since it is actually the USS Kearsarge and a 1/32 David which I believe is by Cottage Industry.

I prefer 1/96th scale and would like to do a number of ironclads starting with the Albermarle and Tennessee but need a source for plans (as accurate as know resources will allow) I build strictly static and no cutaways. I know there are some resin kits out there but for the price I have been disappointed sometimes with the amount of correction and/or additional detailing needed (I guilty of the AMS) Ironclads should lend themselves to scratch building relatively well in my opinion.

Now for my quuestion: Can you recommend a good source for accurate 1/96 static scale model plans?

Thanks and Best Regards

Rick in Virginia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:32 pm 

fishjay wrote:
Hi Guys,
Wow!!!!!! This thread is amazing. I am thrilled to learn just how many Civil War (War of Northern Aggression to us Southerners) ironclad fans there are out in the world. I have built several ironclad models over the years. I build to a scale of 1:240, 1"=20'. My models are half-hull and mounted in a shadowbox. Hanging them on the wall takes up less space in my hobby room.

I am a civil/structural designer by trade so I create a lot of my own drawings. Attached is a drawing (in progress) of the USS Spuyten Duyvil. Does anyone know how the bow doors worked to expose the spar?

I am currently working on a model of the USS Passaic. After viewing this thread I have a question. How many of the monitors were painted blue/gray? I always thought they were all black.

Thanks,

Fishjay

Thanks for posting that drawing of Spuytin Duyvil, never had heard of her before. I am thinking I will design her as a paper model, found some more drawings and information on that-russian-site-which-shall-not-be-named very interesting ship and design. She reminds me of a small, fatter cousin to the Casco class monitors, at least the ones built without a turret and armed with torpedoes.

http://nssavannah.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Avery Boyer on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:54 pm 

RFindley wrote:

I prefer 1/96th scale and would like to do a number of ironclads starting with the Albermarle and Tennessee but need a source for plans (as accurate as know resources will allow) I build strictly static and no cutaways. I know there are some resin kits out there but for the price I have been disappointed sometimes with the amount of correction and/or additional detailing needed (I guilty of the AMS) Ironclads should lend themselves to scratch building relatively well in my opinion.

Now for my quuestion: Can you recommend a good source for accurate 1/96 static scale model plans?

Thanks and Best Regards

Rick in Virginia

David Meagher's plans, hands down. They come in 1/96 at $15-20 each and are exceptionally well done and researched. Buy them direct from him at the info in the thread and you can't go wrong. he does travel, so it's a good idea to send an e-mail before ordering to avoid delays if he's away for an extended period.

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:57 pm 

I just heard from David Meagher this past weekend. He's back home for at least the next few weeks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next