The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:04 pm 

DAVIDWAPLES:

Thanks for the update. I'll wait and see if they release a figure set for the PT-109.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:17 pm 

All,

I was just informed that my new book; REVELL PT BOAT KITS IN PLASTIC, A REVIEW has been put up on Amazon today and is available for purchase.

Garth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:16 pm 

From my publisher from a few hours ago:

Book is up for order on Amazon though they do not have cover art yet:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/162165 ... hipscom-20

They should have it "in stock" in a day or two.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:35 pm 

Hi Guys,

Say Listen, ...

I'd like to ask you all a question "just for fun" ... there's no meaning to it, there's no ulterior motive to it; I'm just asking it just to start a discussion ... that is it.

Members of another board have given me answers like "the Navy did not designate them anything ..." Or, my favorite so far, "they are what they are ... just because you make up a name for them, it's not important because they were what they were.

They missed the point of my question ... I was just asking it to start a discussion; not to be shut down for asking it.

Now, before I ask the question ... let me preface it by saying I know what vessels (in WW2) the USN designated PGMs (being converted from the 110' wooden hull SCs and the 173' steel hull PCs) and I know that MGB is a Royal Navy designation and was never used on an USN vessel.......

That said, all of you know that I've coined a phrase (PTGB) for the six PTs (the 59, 60, 61, 282, 283, 284 and the 285 - but the 282 replaced the destroyed 284)to refer to those boats which were converted to all gun gunboats.

Now ...

Here's my question ...

Would you guys consider those boats as PGMs or MGBs? Both designators fit them. ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:19 pm 

Because I deal in nomenclature that has to be precise to avoid confusion, I would call them neither. I don't have to pay by the letter or word, so "modified PT Boats" works for me!

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:35 pm 

Thanks Tracy .............

Modified PT boats?

What about PT(G) - akin to like F-6F(N) to denote the night fighter version?

See where I'm going with this? I'm just trying to have "fun" ...............

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:45 pm 

I don't believe in fun. Fun and history don't mix.

:heh:

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:52 pm 

I see ...................... :woo_hoo:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:01 pm 

Has anybody seen the cartoon Black Lagoon? It's essentially a 24 episode Elco PT boat promotion. I'm thinking of using the Revell PT-109 as a basis to build the Black Lagoon. Hasegawa repoped the kit with some resin parts, but I don't think they justify the price increase!

The Black Lagoon

All of the guns are removed?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:49 pm 

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Lagoon

Quote:
The story follows a team of pirates/mercenaries known as Lagoon Company, that smuggles goods in and around the seas of Southeast Asia in the early to mid 1990s. They transport goods in the 80-foot (24 m) Elco-type PT boat Black Lagoon.

Opening sequence has no PT boats

There is, however, a video on Youtube I won't link to here (language) where they take on a Mi-24 Hind and shoot it down with torpedos.
One of the crew members uses a heavy rifle from one of the gun tubs, bit there appears to be no .50s.

-Barbara Tuchman

Last edited by Tracy White on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:57 pm 

Yes, if I recall the scene correctly, the woman uses a Barrett M82 .50 sniper rifle for some anti-vehicle work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:34 am 

No longer a component of the PT Boats Inc. site, the forum has moved to http://ptboatforum.com

Al Ross

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:54 pm 

drdoom1337 wrote:
Has anybody seen the cartoon Black Lagoon? It's essentially a 24 episode Elco PT boat promotion. I'm thinking of using the Revell PT-109 as a basis to build the Black Lagoon. Hasegawa repoped the kit with some resin parts, but I don't think they justify the price increase!

I have a PT kit and was tempted to do just that but I've gotten away from it. I'm a big fan of that show but a model would would be no good without Revy and a .50 cal sniper rifle.

I also noticed the anime verson of the boat is drawn like it's made of metal instead of wood and the interior layout would be impossible in real life.

But crooked nuns with guns go a long way to help me forget about real life...

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:33 pm 

Channell wrote:
drdoom1337 wrote:

I have a PT kit and was tempted to do just that but I've gotten away from it. I'm a big fan of that show but a model would would be no good without Revy and a .50 cal sniper rifle.

I also noticed the anime verson of the boat is drawn like it's made of metal instead of wood and the interior layout would be impossible in real life.

But crooked nuns with guns go a long way to help me forget about real life...

Die laughing when the nun whipped out the Desert Eagle!

Revy is actually my background on my PC

The interior of the Black Lagoon is definitely impossible, it's HUGE. Elco PT boats were only 80ft. The Lagoon has the interior the size of a minesweeper. It is definitely made to look like a metal hull instead of wood in the show, not necessarily a bad thing though because the old Revell kit doesn't need as much additional detail due to this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:12 pm 

I still would like to see it done well!

I recently bought a 1/24 "Sasha the Welder" from Industria Mechanica... They also do a 1/35 version and she could possibly be made into a Revy without too much work:

Dutch would be easy to do with all the military 1/35 kits out there and I'm sure you could find a Rock-like character in a shirt and tie somewhere too!

The 1/35 Italeri PT109 is a great kit and the 109 was certainly the "source material" for the Lagoon. It could work... somebody should try it!

I'm sure the PT rivet counters are all down on the floor clutching their chests with looks of horror on their faces by now but let's give credit where credit is due... Anime has done a lot to boost the hobby and many a young Gundam or other anime themed builder has moved up to historic model subjects. Anything that gets people building is good!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:40 pm 

Channell wrote:
I'm sure the PT rivet counters are all down on the floor clutching their chests with looks of horror

I'm a dedicated Arizona rivet counter and I was STILL thankful for the Pearl Harbor movie. Even though I couldn't watch it.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:18 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
Channell wrote:
I'm sure the PT rivet counters are all down on the floor clutching their chests with looks of horror

I'm a dedicated Arizona rivet counter and I was STILL thankful for the Pearl Harbor movie. Even though I couldn't watch it.

Famous stupid movie quotes: "I think World War Two just started!"

Thank god for "Tora Tora Tora". :big_grin:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:50 am 

Greetings, for those of you interested in the Italeri update set, I learned today that they are finishing the molding and it will be in stores in April/May depending on where you are in the world. Check in at Italeri's web site for updates and information.
Dave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:32 am 

DAVIDWAPLES:

Any news on crew figures for PT-109?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:20 am 

No news on figures. I would highly suggest that you send Italeri a message from their web site and let them know that you're interested in a 109 crew set. Their marketing department calls the shots and they listen to us. Also let them know what you would like to see. For example I suggested to them that the crews be mostly undressed and skinny like most south pacific PT crews were generally dressed... or not dressed.

Italeri did release details on their update set and you can see it at their web site. They should be showing up in stores in the next 30 days or so I would imagine. No idea about price yet. Here is what is included in the kit.

1. SO Radar. The set includes two types of mast and dome which is a very nice touch. Also included is the mast rest.
2. 40mm Bofors Gun. A complete 40mm Bofors to replace the 20mm on the stern if you choose.
3. 20mm backdate. Included are a replacement mount, gun, ammo cans, and armor shield if you wish to backdate a 103 class boat to how she came out of the Elco plant.
4. Life floats. 2 are included in the set.
5. Anchor. A correct anchor is included which will work on either boat.
6. Life Raft/Float. A correctly shaped earlier style life boat.
7. Extra depth charges. 4 are included in the set.
8. Mk VIII and Mk. XIII torpedoes. 1 each.
9. Photoetch set including day cabin joining plates.

If you wish to model a 103 class boat with roll off torpedoes this will not get you there. The set does not include roll off racks. So you're going to have to invest in an aftermarket set such as Lion Roar or Royal Model, or heaven forbid... rob your 596 kit of parts. Probably the nicest touch was the addition of the day cabin joining plates on the photoetch fret. This is an obscure detail that would otherwise go missed by most modelers. However Italeri listened to us and included them in the kit. I'll let the following photos speak for themselves. The instruction pages will show you exactly what you're getting. You can also view these on the Italeri web site included with their most recent release.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 26  Next