The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:28 pm 

This is for those interested in PT boats, coastal warfare craft, and other small craft.

Post subject: Armament
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:25 pm 

Granted that the PT boats were manufactured by different companies was there standard armament for each boat - later customized to fit the mission? I've seen everything from quad .50's to the 20mm bow-mounted (as well as stern), etc. And as noted in another thread PT-109 had 37mm gun rigged on it. Next-door neighbor's inlaw served late '44 and told me every boat ended up different - in his limited experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:25 pm 

G'day Scott,

This is way too big a topic to answer in a thread. 'Suggest you first grab Squadron's PT Boats In Action book and visit T.Garth Conneley's PT-Boat-devoted site...then go outwards from there.

However, in a pre-1st grade personal summary of the subject, the further out (read away from a lot of brass staring down squadrons' necks), the more imaginative the boats' fit seemed to be. 'Have seen more variation in SW Pacific 80' Elcos than anywhere else, especially mid-war. :surfer:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:38 pm 
Hi All,

PT Boats have long been one of my favorites, my most recent builds in this type were conversions of Revell's PT 109 kit into late war boats. As it usually works out, as soon as you get something done the kit makers will bring out the same type just as Italeri has done with their 1/35th scale offering. While I really dig the subject the ol thing that makes me shy away is the large scale price tag. Of course, living in Las Vegas, if I ever hit a good jackpot, you know it will be on the top of my shopping list.

That is part way along in the process, as you can tell by all the white styrene, I made lots of changes.

After the intial base coats they look a little different from one another.

One is equipped with four roll off racks, 37mm cannon, 20mm Oerlikon and 5 inch rocket racks on the bow with scratched up 40 MM Bofors on the fantail.

The other has similar mountings with the aft set of roll off racks replaced with depth charge racks.

I am planning on adding to the PT line up with a few other 80 footers, one with 40 MM Bofors fore and aft as well as .50 caliber mounts sprouting from several positions to replicate the heavy gun boat type that was made up for the "barge busting" role. I am also hankering to kitbash one of the 80 footers into a faux 78 footer. That one promises to be a real trip with the differences in cabin arrangements and shapes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:43 pm 

Sorry about that, my security system is overprotecting my dumb self again by clearing out cookies even though I have the "log in automatically box" checked. Gotta love McAfee! :lol_1:

Post subject: PT models
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:50 am 
Sir -

Those are exceptional models. Please email me at PTConsultingNHR@aol.com and also at TCONNELL@stpaultravelers.com and please tell me more about them. Thank you.

Garth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:00 pm 

Hi all Ive just joined this site and have recently finished the robbe kit of the PT15 I have a few photos but i am not sure how to post them could anybody help?
Andy

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:03 pm 

Just follow the instructions in this thread: http://www.shipmodels.info/mwphpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:54 pm 

Welcome aboard Woody :welcome:

Looking forward to seeing your PT 15.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:58 pm 

Hi All.

For anyone wondering how the WEM PE set works out for the Revell 1/72nd kit, I finished a build about 6 months ago. Garth has been kind enough to host some finished photos on his site. You can check out the results at: http://www.ptboatworld.com/PT109Model.htm

Enjoy

Fritz K.

Fritz K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:02 pm 

i ran across a website that had pt boats in 1/350 scale and now I can't remember what website carries them. anyone know who makes these?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:46 pm 

Iron Shipwright perhaps?

4-061 PT 565 Elco 80' late WW2 PT Boat

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:47 pm 

JAG also has some 1/350th scale PTs.

-Devin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:11 pm 

I've been working on it since Feb. It will be the 495 boat from RON33 in Leyte in late '44.

To backdate the kit I've had to cast additional 20mm and mounts, modify the 37mm and make a mount, mod the roll-off racks, rework the 50 cal mount depression rails, scratch build the SO radar dome and mast, make the added twin 50 cal cradle and mount, add 2 50 cals and thier mounts and ammo boxes to one of the 20 mm, relocate the torpedo racks, make mounts for the 2 added 30 cals and cast additional ready-ammo boxes and 20 mm mags. I also had to fix the ammo belt feeders on the 2 50 cal turrets to make them correct for the barrels pointed up.

Still a lot to do but I thought I would share some photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:40 pm 

Nice!!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:09 am 

Cool! Nice re-work, too! :thumbs_up_1:
The only thing I should recommend is to add some dry brushing and probaly a wash to better emphasise the deck detail. Of cause it is problem of ligthing in photography generally, but it would help out adding some "depth"!
Freaky camo colour scheme...

Guido

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:48 am 

Once I finish the build I plan on some washes and dry brushing just as you suggest.

I have some color photos of one of the RON33 boats from the mid to late '44 time period and they show a green and brown scheme. I sent the photos to John Snyder (Snyder and Short Enterprises) at WEM and he felt that it was probably Brown #4 and either Green #3 or 5-Navy Green. I used Brown #4 and Green #3.
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:58 am 

Is anyone here besides me planning to RC this kit? My plan is to do a scale 3 motor conversion & would love to hear what others plan to do in terms of motor & running gear setup.

I saw the following on RC Universe today that pertains to keeping down the weight for this specific kit. It's shown as #7 under Steve Collins' post:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5454426/tm.htm

Thanks.

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:06 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Im waiting for a MS61 kit to appear, and did some research for that one. I would use some of the smaller slow-turning (no-load rpm of about 5000) Buehler motors, LiPo battery, some 10-15 gramm ESCs (or one high-current ESC driving all 3 motors, if doing 3 motors, you can put a cheaper and lighter 2gramm slowflyer forward-only ESC on a middle shaft), and a receiver for my Jamara RC, which is about 18 grams. 1 mini-servo driving all the rudders over a parallelogramm gear.
I suppose such a layout can work well also for a PT-boat.

1:350 HMS Diana 1794 - nearly released
Further kits in preparation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:57 am 

Nice job! That's a lot of work, huh? I did one for Garth Connelly, but out of the box.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f79/b ... CF1112.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f79/b ... CF1111.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f79/b ... CF1110.jpg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next