The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:11 pm 

Warriors had a beautiful set of figures for the PT596 which are OOP and super hard to find now.

http://www.ipmssantarosa.org/uploads/ptboatfigures.pdf

Italeri also had a figure set for the PT596 which is OOP and rather hard to find.
They're coming alsoout with a figure set for the PT109 (ITA 5618) this fall. This is the only picture i was able to find for it.

Attachments:
1408118178-51736400.jpg
1408118178-51736400.jpg [ 172.33 KiB | Viewed 4994 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:41 am 

About the only place I've seen any Warrior figures recently was on the dreaded Evilbay. Someone was selling the Bofors gun crew and a couple of others. On a fun note, looking on there again just now, I found a listing for an Italeri set #5607/10 figure Schnellboot crew (new tooling) for a mere £465.27.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:22 pm 
Hi Guys,

Finally heard from Stan: He's dealing with some serious personal issues lately, but he did say this about the kit. I am not sure what he meant about the three 20mm when the kit only has one.

" Hi Tim,

The deck fits on the hull quite well. The following step was a surprise. It had me putting together 3 20 mm machine guns. I only made 1 because I couldn’t find where 3 went. After that it starts on the Structures that fit on the deck which is more understanding. I haven’t started those yet."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:19 am 

There are interesting crew options for 1/72 PT crews: there are a great many submariner figure sets, including gun crews, available from Czech Masters (and possibly others). They're intended for the Revell Gato and may need some modification, but photographic evidence suggests that, if anything, submariners were even further from being sticklers for uniform regulations than PT Crews.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:46 am 

Garth wrote:
Hi Guys,

" Hi Tim,

The deck fits on the hull quite well. The following step was a surprise. It had me putting together 3 20 mm machine guns. I only made 1 because I couldn’t find where 3 went. After that it starts on the Structures that fit on the deck which is more understanding. I haven’t started those yet."

To clear up any confusion the instructions on the Merrit kit call for 3 magazines to be made. One for the gun itself and two to sit inside the ammo locker. It does not call for 3 20mm cannons.
Dave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:44 am 
Yes, Dave. Gerry Niles over on SN told me that ... I plan on emailing Stan today and gently remind him of that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:23 pm 
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to give you an update on the status of the build.

Due to the fact that my modeler, Stan Pienkowski is facing numerous personal in his home life, our good friend, Bobby Cicconi is taking over for Stan.

There will be updates on the build with in-progress photos to boot.

Garth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:24 am 
Hi All,

Got this update on the build from Bobby Cicconi in an email overnight. He likes the kit.

"I'm up to about section 10 in the PT build. So far I like the kit a lot. It's nicely done and has a minimum of flash and seams. I read one person who said that there are injection sink marks on the 50 cal turret assemblies that are still visible even when completed, but that's not the case. I'll try and send some photos this weekend. Nothing too exciting, mostly sub-assemblies ...."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:59 pm 
Heard from Bobby last night ......

He says that there are three major sprue gates that need to be removed and sanded smooth before painting. They are the only major sprue flash that I encountered other than the usual attachment points of each part on the trees. The 40mm gun is very detailed and a mini-kit in itself.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:08 pm 
Heard from Bob Cicconi ... he likes the kit's 40mm: "I'm telling you- it's like a mini-kit. The torpedo racks are well done also. I really like the kit a lot. I'm extremely impressed with the fit. The parts fit together very well. The torpedo racks required the most dry fitting and cleanup, but even they weren't too bad. I remember doing the 1/35 Italeri kit, and the torpedo racks were a real pain in the ass."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:36 am 
Received this from Bob Cicconi overnight, regarding the building up of the Merit late-war Elco kit ... he likes it.

"Virtually all the parts have the initial green # 2 color sprayed on them. I sprayed the prop shafts, rudders, and anchor Alclad steel. I sprayed the natural wood parts with Testors wood color. The torpedoes have the warhead painted green # 2 and the body and props are Alclad burnt metal to replicate the natural metal of the torpedo body with cosmolene or oil spread on it to prevent oxidation. The canvas parts were sprayed with Testors khaki drab. I used the Merit prop color for the 3 main boat props. I started to put some of the secondary colors on some of the sub-assemblies, like the radar mast and strut and will start to mask off and spray the camou colors on the sub-assemblies and the hull. It's coming along nicely."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:17 pm 
I received this in an email from Bob earlier today: "I need to spray one or two spots on the hull to touch up a couple places that I want to make better. Almost all the sub-assemblies are done. I just need to paint the mufflers, small weapons, put the decals on, do a few pin washes to bring some detail out, assemble all the parts onto the deck, put the prop shafts, supports, and props on the hull, flat clear everything, attach the deck to the hull and it's done. It sounds like a lot of work, but I should have it done by the end of next week. I'll take a bunch of photos and post the build, but I'll send it to you first, so you can see what I say about the kit and paints. Next time I hope Garth picks out something without 18 colors in the scheme."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:07 pm 

Greetings,

The Model Building arena of my life has been "stuck in the mud" for a little too long, now. So, I thought I might post my latest build to see if I could nudge my way back into Building rather than Stashing! :heh:

This is an old 1/350 JAG 78' Higgins (PT-200) resin kit which tested my scratch-building (and sanity). There were 2 boats in the kit, but I could only salvage a few usable parts. It took a few weeks to complete her.

Attachments:
rsz_img_0021.jpg
rsz_img_0021.jpg [ 190.45 KiB | Viewed 4543 times ]
rsz_1045_-_copy.jpg
rsz_1045_-_copy.jpg [ 187.45 KiB | Viewed 4543 times ]
rsz_1053_-_copy.jpg
rsz_1053_-_copy.jpg [ 186.19 KiB | Viewed 4543 times ]

Last edited by Daniel Chavez on Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:39 pm 

2 more pics for now. If anyone is interested, I can add my build pics to the Works in Progress / Completed Models section.

Thanks!

Attachments:
rsz_048_-_copy.jpg
rsz_048_-_copy.jpg [ 85.5 KiB | Viewed 4540 times ]
rsz_1049_-_copy.jpg
rsz_1049_-_copy.jpg [ 191.97 KiB | Viewed 4540 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:27 pm 

Nice work! I have a couple of those myself for a small diorama I plan to do. Your detail is very nice.
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:32 am 
That's very nice. I can't believe that's 1:350. That's amazing work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:50 pm 
Hello,

A FYI ...

I have Bob Cicconi's build review of the Merit PT kit. I will have it posted on www.ptboatworld.com.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:16 pm 
Hello All,

As a surprise Christmas gift (that I didn't even ask for or hinted at, Tony Chin of Merit sent me this new kit, it arrived today.

I just received the Merit 1:48 early Elco 80-footer, I just did a cursory in box look at it. I was impressed with what I saw. It seems to be a very well engineered kit, I didn't see any flash, sink marks or anything like that. I liked the 20mm gun and the 50s too.

My only gripe(s) about the kit are as follows:

The color instructions. Like with their late war Elco, the color call-outs are Gold, Cocoa Brown, Steel, Olive Drab (2) and Tire Black.

The fins on the torpedoes look to be a little stubby, but I think if they were/are intended to be fitted inside the tubes, will that matter, inasmuch they won't be seen.

That said, I am blown away that they included the torpedoes for the tubes ... I'm sorry - but things like that impress me.

I didn't see the decals, but I'm sure they're great!

Just my two cents...

What I plan to do is have the kit done as the 190 "Jack'O'Diamonds" as she looked when she and the 191 were attacked by 30 to 40 Japanese aircraft. At that time, the late Alex Johnson and Wayne Traxel told me she had a 37mm M4 fitted where the original 20mm was located.

Those of you who have this kit or will buy this kit, by the looks of what in the box, should be happy with it.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:13 pm 

PT BOAT NAVAL WAR GAME - I am new to naval war gaming (avid land war gamer) looking to put together a naval war game highlighting the WWII PT Boat. The focus of this game will be to support the educational mission of Battleship Cove in Massachusetts. they have two PT Boats there on display. I need suggestions on scale and supply as well as history. I was thinking of a Mosquito Fleet raid on a Tokyo Express run. How many boats would participate and what kind of Japanese "targets" do I need.

Any advice/direction is appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:02 pm 
For those of you guys who build PT boat models - you might be interested in this product, from a man in Spain:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/M7S7K ... areProduct

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next