The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:15 am 

Nice. Very nice. Good work.

The brass bases, where did you get them?
Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:17 am 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
Looks nice :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:55 pm 

Keith Bender turned them from brass for me. I like your 596 version better than mine. Did you paint the air ident insignias?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:22 pm 

Thanks Bob. Yes i painted them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:15 pm 

The 493 boat I had color photos of from '44 was Green/Brown in at least New Guinea. My subject may have been Green/Brown in New quinea also but discussions with crew of that boat indicate that by Leyte it was Green/Green. So...

Here are a few more photos. I painted the numbers tonight.

More photos:
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1830736

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:37 am 

Looking great! I definitely like the look of the camo scheme (particularly the two-tone green one) and the aerial recognition markings. Must have been a tricky job to repaint, but it certainly looks good now!
Was this scheme used on earlier boats? I'd quite like to use this on my Revell 1/72 PT-117. Also, what paint did you use for the lower hull? It looks very good. I haven't had much success finding a good "hull red" colour - Tamiya and Revell Red seem far too bright and intense. I normally use Tamiya NATO Brown or Red-Brown now, plus Tamiya Hull Red for IJN ships.

I've just started work on my own 1/35 torpedo boat, a Vosper 73' Type I MTB (same type as the Airfix 1/72 kit), using a hull and deck from Astec Mouldings. I originally intended to convert it to R/C but the vacformed plastic mouldings are so flimsy that this will be very difficult given my lack of experience with RC models, so I'm just going to build it as a static model. Currently I've had to stop work on the MTB, as I need some half-round styrene strip for the rubbing strake at the hull/deck join - so it'll have to wait until I can make a trip to the nearest hobby shop which sells styrene stock. I'll post some photos in the Scratchbuilding forum once I've made some progress with the MTB - also updates on the Yamato and USS Hazard fairly soon.
I'm definitely going to buy the Italeri PT one day, and, if I can afford it, the S-100. I used to stick to 1/72 and smaller but I can really see the appeal of 1/35 scale for smaller craft now!

One final question: Does the Italeri PT boat have any provision (i.e mounting brackets, holes for prop shafts etc.) for motorisation/RC gear in the hull, or do you have to build all of this yourself? I would really like to build a R/C large scale torpedo boat (this is what I originally bought the Vosper hull for) but have no experience with the technical side of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:20 am 

Thank you for the kind words. It was a bit of a PITA to repaint but it has has 3 different paint jobs so I am experienced by now. :lol_3:

I used WEM (White Ensign Models) paint. Very good stuff.

This camo pattern was used by at least Ron18 and Ron 33 in the late '43 through late '44 time period.

I have color photos that show the Green/Brown scheme for a RON33 boat that are probably taken between July and early Oct'44. I have spoken with actual crew from the 495 boat who served on her from Oct'44 to late Dec'44 and they were certain it was a 2-tone green.

If i wanted to model the 493 or the 495 in New Guinea, Brown #4 and Green #3 would most likely be right. The 495 in Leyte was probably Green #3 and Green #2. WEM sells all these color matched paints.

No provision to RC or motors other than holes for rudders and shafys.
Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:12 am 

With the help of Al Ross, a few more changes were required to get the Italeri kit closer to the 495 in late '44. Al pointed out that the engine access trunk was the late, wide style and that my boat would have had the narrower one. While I was it, I corrected the hatch deadlight by filing it off and framing it once I made the hole in the hatch.

In looking at the photos I realized the 495 (and others in the series, had a different pedastol for the 40mm than the 596 did. Al sent me a photo of the "Army" mount and I cut down the kit's piece and made one closer to Al's photo. I also removed the railings at the rear of the 40mm platform. Photos of the 490, 491 and 493 show no railings or depression rail so they had to go.
According to Ross and his records, the wider engine passage and late-style 40mm mount base phased in around boat 565.

Lastly, I made a new 40mm ammo locker to better match size and shape of the ones in the photos.

I've started a new album because the original was getting pretty big. Here are a series of photos i took today. As you can see, I still need to paint the mufflers and add details like the bull-nose, etc.
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1857415

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:12 am 

Not finished yet but getting closer. Italeri 1/35 PT 596 back dated to 495 circa late '44 at Leyte.

Image[/img]

Post subject: PT 495 photos
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:04 am 

Almost done with the build. i have some lines to add to the deck, some clutter to add and the stand to finish but other than that it is finally finished.

I hope you enjoy them. This is my first boat model.
Ed

Post subject: >>
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:15 am 

Nice camo! I surely like the algie near the waterline (am I correct?).

:eyebrows:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:11 am 

Thanks. Algea, that is what I was trying toshow. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice fine details. Gotta love those ammo belts. :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:58 pm 

wow great job on the PT. She quiet i beauty!! one question did u build 1/35 AFV before this

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:23 am 

Hi everyone!
I am a fan of PT boats and if some of you are interested you can browse in a site in Portugal a small film of my 1st PT-109 and then the second that I am building for 1/20 scale for 3 elec motors a 3 shaft and 3 brass propellers. It should be a hard fight to build it but I am confident.
Keep it great.
Have a nice day.
The site in my country are:
http://www.ptnauticmodel.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:28 am 

Yes, and 1/48th aircraft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:26 am 

Very nice build!

Bravo :thumbs_up_1:

Dino

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:11 am 

Thanks.
A couple more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:42 am 

A very impressive-looking PT boat - great painting and detail work, and very convincing weathering!
I wasn't sure about the Italeri kit at first, but your build has certainly convinced me - now I just need to find the money! :big_grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:15 am 

Thank you. It was alot of work backdating it a little, not like a 103 series and still i missed a coule of items. The build reflects a lot of additional parts not pert of the kit or available on the AM, yet. The kit is basically very good. They got a few things wrong but it is closer than the 1/72 109/117 kits.
Ed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next