The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:19 pm 

Which corvette had the most unusual paint scheme?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:32 pm 
Starling Models
Starling Models

Felix
My vote is for the yellow / dark blue scheme as discussed on a thread in the camouflage and coatings section.

Mike

http://www.starling-models.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:51 pm 
Hello
My name is Clifford, my uncle served in a flower class corvette called "Vervain"
I am trying to get some info photos model in fact anything about it at all. the info I have is very limited any chance of some help please

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:59 pm 

Here is some info on HMS Vervain:
http://www.uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/5490.html

Wikipedia has a picture of her gun:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Vervain_(K190)

There are a few other sites available if you google "vervain corvette" or "HMS Vervain".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:12 pm 

Harry Dente wrote:
Would like to build USS Tenacity or similar to go with my HMS Bluebell. Been to Navsource, Steelnavy, Google, and have the Shipcraft volume. Would really like some more plans and photos that show details of the pilot house, deck houses, and armament.

There are some great images of one of her sisters after conversion. USS SPRY on the naval warfare blog: http://navalwarfare.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... iscus.html

Cheers,

CB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:03 pm 

There are some pictures of Tenacity kicking around. Try the Flower Class Covette sites. You also might get ahold of Ron Smith. He might have some pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:21 pm 

Hi All!

This is my first post on this forum.

I have the Mtchbox Flower Class Corvette that I bought when I was in the Air Force in West Germany in 1982. I started it back then, but didn't get very far. It got packed up and shipped home.

Last year I re-started it. This time for the USS Saucy. The hull is painted, but needs a few touch ups before I gloss coat it to decal it. Then dull coat it and put in the port hole glass.

I have the decks painted. The aft superstructure is assembled. The parts that go on top of it are assembled and painted. The bridge is started.

I am painting it per the instructions.

I build my ship models by IPMS out-of-the-box rules. I have had some success in local competitions.

I have no plans to put R/C into the model. I have been reading other posts in this section. My 2 bits on scale speed for R/C. The answer is maximum speed for a Flower Class Corvette is at top speed, it would travel it own length in about 8 seconds.

Any comments and encouragement are most welcome.

I bit about me. I served in the US Air Force on active duty from 1971-84 and in the MI Army National Guard from 2000-09. I did serve in Iraq. I have been building models since 7th grade. I am still learning!

Just Commissioned
IJN Yamashiro 1/700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:08 pm 

Guard STG
"The Flower Class Corvette and WWII Royal Navy Forums" until a month or so ago would be a good site for you as it had a very active modelling section, especially for this model. Mark Walters used to run this site, does anyone know what happened? This link gets directed to a Yuku site now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:17 pm 

George,

Would that be this site: http://theflowerclasscorvetteforums.yuku.com/directory

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:48 pm 

Tim
Thank you very much. Very interesting, maybe my bookmark got corrupted or something and I think it was bookmarked on two different computers. Your link worked fine. Thank you
Best Wishes
George

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:54 am 

OOPs! In my above post I should have said Rick Davis. Many apologies. :bash_2:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:56 am 

hello i am new on this forum,i am french and i live in normandy near dieppe.sorry for my bad english i dont speak very well.i built this corvette last year.its a french flower corvette the k 183 detroyat.she is realy used and aged like another french corvette the k 58 aconit.
i took these photos on a beach of high normandy near dieppe.

i work on a second corvette who is a english and i built the arizona 1/200 trumpeter in the same time with a 1/144 class fletcher
have a nice day
stef

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:23 am 

another french corvette la k 58 l aconit

bye
stef

Post subject: HMCS Fennel
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:51 am 

Finished this in February. Has the full load of GLS brass.
Kevin
Attachment:
1-1687_-_Feb__1,_2011.jpg
1-1687_-_Feb__1,_2011.jpg [ 33.13 KiB | Viewed 5477 times ]
Attachment:
1-1678_-_Feb__1,_2011.jpg
1-1678_-_Feb__1,_2011.jpg [ 79.27 KiB | Viewed 5477 times ]
Attachment:
1-1679_-_Feb__1,_2011.jpg
1-1679_-_Feb__1,_2011.jpg [ 89.75 KiB | Viewed 5477 times ]
Attachment:
1-1680_-_Feb__1,_2011.jpg
1-1680_-_Feb__1,_2011.jpg [ 105.32 KiB | Viewed 5477 times ]
Attachment:
1-1681_-_Feb__1,_2011.jpg
1-1681_-_Feb__1,_2011.jpg [ 98.28 KiB | Viewed 5477 times ]
Attachment:
1-1684_-_Feb__1,_2011.jpg
1-1684_-_Feb__1,_2011.jpg [ 102.9 KiB | Viewed 5477 times ]

Attachments:
1-1683_-_Feb__1,_2011.jpg
1-1683_-_Feb__1,_2011.jpg [ 90.55 KiB | Viewed 5477 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:13 pm 

hello she is very very nice good job!!!
i like rust and weathering.very nice model
bye
stef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:38 pm 
CLIFF wrote:
Hello
My name is Clifford, my uncle served in a flower class corvette called "Vervain"
I am trying to get some info photos model in fact anything about it at all. the info I have is very limited any chance of some help please

Clifford, I was over at my neighbor's house this morning and spotted an old photo of a Flower Class Corvette
on her wall with the hull number K190. She told me her grandfather served on the ship. I believe it is the HMS
Vervain. You may find me on facebook or email me at the below address.

Dave Runkle
Sacramento California, USA
dave.runkle@comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:28 am 

I was given the ISW 1/350 kit of HMCS Sackville "1939" to build for one of my professors and am wondering what sources exist on the vessel as portrayed in the kit. From what there is available on her, she wasn't even laid down until 1940, and not commissioned until 1941, so does the kit actually represent the vessel in 1941 as-built? And if so, what pictures are available of her at that early period?

Thanks!

PS: Also of interest is what other vessels can be built from the kit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:56 pm 

Timmy
I have done the Sackville model twice, first as HMCS Amherst and as HMCS Louisburg. It provides the basics for a batch 1 short forecastle corvette and of interest is the provision of two bridges, narrow and wide. It depends on how early you are going to do it, I did Amherst as built with mine sweeping gear (anything beyond a basic winch was scratch built), mainmast, and narrow bridge. I did Louisburg as lost, wide bridge and no mine sweeping gear. Reference material includes Canada's Flowers by T Lynch (1981) and more recently HMCS Sackille by Milner 1998 although still available as I bought it last summer. Canada's Flowers offers a detailed line profile (pg.54/55) and implies that is 1942. The Sackville web site should also have some archival photos of it in its short forecastle days. Pearson's site should be useful too. I could followup with more details including a photo of Amherst. Also Amherst, Sackville and geographically logical Moncton were all built in St John. So looking at photos of all three as built would be useful.
Best wishes
George

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:03 pm 

Thank you very much George. I picked up a copy of Lynch's book at a second-hand store today - looks like an excellent resource.

Is it the case that only those built within the same yard can be easily portrayed with the kit? Or are all vessels in the 1939-1940 program similar enough that major modifications won't be necessary if building them in the 1940-1941 timeframe, regardless of yard? Taking a brief look at the Lynch drawing for Edmundson at the back of the book and comparing it to the Sackville drawing, they seem fairly similar.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:39 pm 

Timmy

You can build any batch 1 short forecastle corvette built in Canada for the RCN. The batch 1 corvettes originally built for the RN by Canada but loaned back to Canada are somewhat different, length of after deck house and position of the later added 2 lb (Pompom gun) tub. The variable is the degree of detail that you may wish to go, eg my comment about other corvettes being built in the same batch may provide additional opportunities for detailing.
Some of my suggestions based on research or quality improvement.
1) You may want to forgo the life boats as they are well overscale for a 16 Ft dingy (at least as they came with my kit in 2006) and the same may be true about getting the right number and sizes of vents, liferafts.
2) I noticed some variations for corvettes as built. The wooden deck (forecastle) was not included on the first corvettes built. This is evident in the AOTS Agassy book. In the case of Amherst, the forecastle wood decking was added and the main mast removed during the first refit so I modelled it incorrectly since I included both. The removal of the main mast was based on the radio equipment used in the first corvettes and the antenna length required I believe. Also the pompom gun was greatly delayed for RCN (nice to be able to properly use that term for the present as well as the past!) corvettes.
3) The AOTS book is a good source of mine sweeping details, otters, paravanes, etc.

Yes, those two corvettes are very similar and neither one has the main mast and the Edmunston may not have had the wooden decked forecastle or at least not shown on the drawing.

I hope I have provided more clarity than confusion but the ISW is a good starting point to make your own way as far as detailing is concerned.

George

I resized a photo of Amherst (model) but I think it got saved as a PSD.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next