The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:25 pm 

Jon wrote:

Also, which of the kits is closest to HMCS Sackville?

Unfortunately, all of them are equally poor choices for Sackville. Sackville, pre-refit, was a short-forecastle unit. All of the Mirage kits are long forecastles. Post-refit, she received the long forecastle, but also received a new open bridge that none of the Mirage kits contain. There was also what I call a "half refit" that gave her the new bridge without giving her the long forecastle, but that's the worst of both worlds.

So your option for the Mirage kit would entail scratchbuilding a completely new bridge while keeping the long forecastle hull.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:24 am 

Not afraid to do a bit of scratch building, so thanks for the tips as to which is best. So which has the long forecastle hull?

Building:
1/48 Lancaster (HK)
1/350 Akagi
1/350 IJN Kongo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:16 am 

Tracy White wrote:
All of the Mirage kits have the same (mineweeper gear) hull.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:17 pm 

Perfect, all the hulls are the same. Thanks!

Building:
1/48 Lancaster (HK)
1/350 Akagi
1/350 IJN Kongo

Post subject: Start Drooling!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:47 pm 

Unfortunately no model or sprue shots yet. http://data4.primeportal.net/models/tho ... _of_94.jpg :wave_1:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:06 pm 

If their photograph choice is accurate, then it really isn't much of an "early" type. Wish it was a short forecastle at least, preferably with the enclosed bridge.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:59 am 

I hope Revell didn't simply scale down their 1/72 Flower, along with all the inaccuracies and ugliness! :big_grin:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:57 pm 

Probably not - when the 1/72 was made, they didn't use a CAD, so short of pantographing down the 1/72 molds the old fashioned way, they'll have to create a completely new CAD for the 1/144.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:42 pm 

Hope they use a better set of plans for the new one! :big_grin:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:02 pm 

Always something!

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:57 pm 
No news yet on the two New mirage hobby flowerpower class boats Thatcher were listen as soon in their 2015 catalog?

Kind regards,

Henk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:52 pm 

I caught HMCS Sackville underway last week albeit with the help of a couple tugs unfortunately one is visible at the quester deck. It was returning from, I believe, from a defence conference being held else where in Halifax harbour. This photography opportunity happens a few times year normally when Sackville is moved back and forth from the RCN dockyard to its summer location in a public area.

Attachments:
File comment: HMCS Sackville being repositioned last week, Halifax, Canada
Sackville K181 G.Warren    6354.jpg
Sackville K181 G.Warren 6354.jpg [ 150.43 KiB | Viewed 4160 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:46 am 

The open bridge required for hmcs Sackville is provided in the WEM PE set 1:350, suitable for the Mirage kits. It had just become available again, check out the WEM site.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:51 pm 

In the case of mine-sweeping equipped corvettes fitted with a Chapman steam winch, were the Oropesa float powered davits driven off the main winch drums, or off the gypsy heads on the ends of the winch? All I've found out is that the powered davits were definitely driven from the steam winch. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:41 pm 

Not sure specifically on the Flower Classes, but in general the mechanical sweeps using the O-floats used the main winch drums. A lot of tension on the sweep cables pulling the float, the otters, kits, and cutters. Gypsy heads appear to be used for general line handling and davits- at least on the Admirable class and YMS sweepers.

By the way, Cybermodeler's showing an update for Eduard's future releases. Railings for the new Revell kit and Weapon Details for the same kit. Not sure what will all be included with each, but maybe some of the ladders that you were looking for on the General Forum.

Good luck!
David Henning

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:18 am 

Thanks. I scratch-built the steam winch and the powered davits, but wasn't sure if the davit cable came off the gypsy or cable drum. So this confirms it. Thanks. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:16 pm 

George W wrote:
I caught HMCS Sackville underway last week albeit with the help of a couple tugs unfortunately one is visible at the quester deck. It was returning from, I believe, from a defence conference being held else where in Halifax harbour. This photography opportunity happens a few times year normally when Sackville is moved back and forth from the RCN dockyard to its summer location in a public area.

Thanks for posting the pic.

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:57 pm 

I don't know about the Corvettes, but on the US Admirable class minesweepers and the YMS minesweepers, the minesweeping davits were hand powered. The YMS used block and tackle gear on the davits for lifting the kites, otters, and floats. The Admirable class used a hand wheel to rotate the davit (might have also had a clutch type device to extend/retract the boom of the davit-but not sure about that) and a hand cranked winch for raising and lowering anything on the end of the hook.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:24 am 

I have a reference pic of the steam winch powered davits on a Corvette, but the pic is from water level off the ship and impossible to tell where the cable runs. Although some (maybe a lot) of the Corvettes had the hand-powered davits. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:00 pm 

Hi all, new member here. Wasn’t sure where to post an introduction, so, since the Revell 1/144 Flower Class with a Pontos set will be my first larger build, here I am. I am in awe of the collective knowledge and talent here and look forward to participating as I move forward on my build. I’d appreciate any tips and/or warnings anyone would like to share. I’m a pretty accomplished modeler, just haven’t done a lot of ships really. Yet.....

I actually have an Orange Hobby Knox-Class Frigate underway (as USS Capodonno for a very good friend who served on her) but am away from my build and subsequent photos. So Snowberry it is, and then a host of 1/200 builds after that.

James ‘Jimbo63’ Harr

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next