The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:00 pm 

One of my favorite class of small combatants and a shame that this type of vessel is no longer active.
The USS Asheville Class consisted of hull numbers 84-90 and 92-101.

USS Asheville Class PG/PGM Links:

Roger Harper's USS Crockett (PG-88) RC scale model (Model Marina)
USS Asheville Class PG/PGM (Wikipedia)
Gunboat Riders (Patrol Gunboat Reunion Association)
PG 84 Asheville (Global Security)
Asheville Class PG/PGM Patrol Combatant List (Naval Vessel Register)
Tom Donaldson's USS Green Bay PG-101 Page
Motor Gunboat Index from NavSource.org

The RC model of the USS Crockett (PG-88) built by Roger Harper is really nice.

A new class of patrol vessel built to this plan and updated with modern equipment and electronics might be a better and much more affordable platform than the LCS or maybe something to compliment the LCS. Arming the Asheville class with the 76mm or 57mm gun and the RAM might be something to consider.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:12 pm 

Love this class, as a high school student in NJROTC we were invited out for a day of local ops off of San Diego on Gallop and Cannon..... I remember standing on the fantail looking out at the rooster tail we throwing up at full speed...... impressive, it was over my head.

This is a ship calling for Revell to do in 1/72nd or Italeri in 1/35th!
I know.... dream on....

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:22 pm 

Last Iheard, Cannon was at Philadelphia looking for a museum group to rescue her.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:28 pm 

A few shots of ASHVILLE (PG-84) taken years ago when she was part of Battleship Cove.

Al Ross

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:58 pm 

I have often thought about a modernized or new production vessel based on the hull lines of the Asheville Class PG.

Not sure if there is space enough in the hull to just drop in the 76mm Mk 75 Oto-Melara turret and subsystems but it would certainly be an interesting upgrade for this size vessel. Maybe emulate the German Navy Gepard class patrol craft armed with the Mk 75 at the bow and the RAM mounted aft.

Maybe the SeaRAM instead of the original RAM?

How about a pair of Mk 38 Bushmaster 25mm guns mounted amidships where the two twin mount .50 Browning machine guns were previously mounted?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:49 pm 

Hi
I'm new here and just in the construction of the old Revell kit of the USS Defiance. However, I would like to build the USS Marathon and want to know how the camouflage of the ship was said during the Vietnam War. Here is a photo

http://brownwater-navy.com/vietnam/photos2/PG89-6.jpg

One more thing, put out at navsource.org :)

http://www.abload.de/img/1211089027mp9j.jpg

I seek any type of information, because I also prefer to build the boat in scale 1/24 into consideration.

Ah yes, sorry for my English :) .... window seat in school

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:02 pm 

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

It's me again. Above is the link to a page on which a model of Michael Taylor is seen. I tried to contact him by e-mail, is not. Does anyone know him personally? He still builds models? Am grateful for any info.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:41 pm 

Model of Defiance fm Revell brings a terrible anchor chain and I'd like to cut it off and use some aftermarket. And at this scale, this chains would be with stud links......

But I have no photo reference for the real anchor chain and its arrangement over the main deck of the vessel.

Does anybody can help?

Attachments:
revell_defiance8.jpg
revell_defiance8.jpg [ 43.91 KiB | Viewed 5047 times ]

"Oh Lord thy sea is so great and my boat is so small."
Breton Fisherman's Prayer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:51 pm 

Some of the vessels had anchor pendant by starboard in hawsepipe ( arrow in red ) and others had it stored over the main deck ( arrow in green shows anchor chain through a bow chock ).............

Attachments:
a.jpg
a.jpg [ 159.58 KiB | Viewed 5042 times ]
b.JPG
b.JPG [ 114.5 KiB | Viewed 5042 times ]

"Oh Lord thy sea is so great and my boat is so small."
Breton Fisherman's Prayer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:15 pm 

DanCinSD wrote:
Love this class, as a high school student in NJROTC we were invited out for a day of local ops off of San Diego on Gallop and Cannon..... I remember standing on the fantail looking out at the rooster tail we throwing up at full speed...... impressive, it was over my head.

This is a ship calling for Revell to do in 1/72nd or Italeri in 1/35th!
I know.... dream on....

There are a couple of companies that offer an Asheville class hull in several scales which gives you the option of building your PG as a replica or a work of fiction. Would certainly be nice to see an actual Asheville Class PG/PGM kit in plastic.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:22 pm 

Jimmy Conway wrote:
Some of the vessels had anchor pendant by starboard in hawsepipe ( arrow in red ) and others had it stored over the main deck ( arrow in green shows anchor chain through a bow chock ).............

It seems that there were some changes in the design or it was the shipyard where it was built that opted to have move the anchor gear from the deck to a space below deck You are showing a picture of PG-84 the lead ship in the class and a picture of PG-95 which was built in the second batch of this ship type.

Jimmy Conway wrote:
Model of Defiance fm Revell brings a terrible anchor chain and I'd like to cut it off and use some aftermarket. And at this scale, this chains would be with stud links......

But I have no photo reference for the real anchor chain and its arrangement over the main deck of the vessel.

Does anybody can help?

All I can suggest is finding a similar size vessel and compare anchor chains.