The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:18 pm 

This well written and informative book covers the first USS Texas, that of the Spanish American war. It starts with her design and build, her design flaws and resulting improvements, then covers her history before, during and after the Spanish American war. The book also discusses the Spanish fleet and its strengths and shorcomings. "Old Hoodoos strength is its comprehensive detailing by drawings of the designs and fittings of the Texas, but its failing is the indifferent reproduction of some of those drawings and the terrible reproduction of most of the Photos. The book is inexpensive at $19.95 but I would have loved to have pay twice that to get well produced photos.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:26 pm 

I agree completely,a great library addition for many of us. I heard the book was originally to be published by one of the big folks,was tabled,and thus a small,inexpensive edition was done.The wealth of info.,both plans and photos,deserves a better presentation. Mike

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:27 pm 

M Dunham wrote:
The wealth of info.,both plans and photos,deserves a better presentation.

I felt like there was a lot there, but it was so poorly presented that it was a bit hard to enjoy. Not only the quality of the photographs (which had the apprearance of photocopies), but I felt like the text really needed to be tightened and more ably presented. Yep, there's a lot to be mined from the book, but it was not all that enjoyable for me.

Dave

Report this post