The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:00 am 

I just bought Tamaya's 1/700 Prinz Eugen and comparing it to a couple of other 1/700 kits it seems larger than it should be. Actually, placed next to the 1/700 USS Montana, it seems to be about the size of a Bismarck class battleship.

Now in my case this is a minor issue since I'm not that concerned about having every model be the same scale. I'll need to do some research to see how accurate the model is otherwise. The details are sharp and it looks well-made otherwise.

If it is overscale I might need to use something other than the 1/700 railing I have for it.

Anybody have information on this?

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:49 am 

Did you measure the model and obtain a scale estimate? Should be almost 1ft long. Much better than "seems to be too long".

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:30 am 

It is about an inch shorter than the 1/700 USS Montana. Since the real ship would be almost 300 feet shorter than Montana, I'm going to say that the scale is incorrect.

I set it next to the 1/700 Super Yamato and Battlecruiser Amagi hulls for comparison and looking at all of them together, Prinz Eugen is the one that doesn't fit.

I like the model otherwise, so it isn't a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. It could mean that I'll need to scratch-build add-ons though.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:16 am 

You need to measure it if your objective is to find suitably-scaled PE parts.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:32 am 

This is true, when I'm ready to build it. My purpose in posting was not so much to make a fuss about my kit, but to ask if anyone else had experienced this, and also to advise anybody with the same kit to check it out, because matching scales matter to some where it might not to others.

Eventually when I build it I will either decide to scratch-build my add-on parts or to buy them in the appropriate scale. Having its scale match that of the other models on the shelf is not of great importance to me.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:15 pm 

You really should measure it...it will take all of 10 secs. That way, anyone with Revell or Trumpeter Prinze Eugen can compare size (mine's bigger than yours! :lol_3: )
:wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:31 pm 

I messured my model, the Prinz Eugen was 212 m long, which is 303 mm in 1/700 long.
My Tamiya Prinz is 301 mm long, so it is slightly to short.
Not sure why you think it is overscale?

Greetings Christian

1/700 Aoshima IJN Yukikaze 1945
1/700 Rainbowmodel Fuyuzuki 1945

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:00 pm 

ch hoeltge wrote:
Not sure why you think it is overscale?

because it's about an inch shorter than my 1/700 USS Montana.

When I have a tape handy, and time at home later I'll measure it, but even without definitive measurements I can tell that it is well over a foot long, and yeah, it ought to be a lot shorter than the Montana.

When time allows I'm also going to go over the finer points (secondary armament, etc.) and make sure they didn't somehow pack a Bismarck class 1/700 in a box labeled Prinz Eugen.

At this point I know for sure that it is overscale for a 1/700 Prinz Eugen. When I'm home and have time I'll perhaps know a little more.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:21 pm 

Maybe the Montana and other what-if hulls are underscale or use smaller lengths than your sources.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:56 pm 

Is anyone who is measuring, measuring at the waterline, or overall? That will make a difference of a few millimeters. Trumpeter Prinz Eugen is 29 cm at the waterline, and 30.4 cm overall.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:33 pm 

Hi all,

From the deck details and the fittings, turrets, etc, included in the kit it seems that I have one of those hybrid battleship-cruisers that was among the unbuilt super weapons of the third reich! :thumbs_up_1:

The deck includes mountings for Bismarck-class armaments and the included turrets, etc match what one would expect with a Hipper-class cruiser. I have sent emails to the seller and to Tamaya itself to ask what the best course of action is.

Mystery solved- it isn't overscale, it's simply mixed parts in the box.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:44 pm 

Spot wrote:
Hi all,

I have sent emails to the seller and to Tamaya itself to ask what the best course of action is.

Let me guess, you bought your kit pre-owned from Ebay or what some here begrudgingly call "Evil Bay"? :big_grin:

Maybe it was an old Aoshima Bismarck kit that the previous owner had mistakenly re-boxed with the Tamiya Prinz Eugen box? Though how that could happen boggles the mind.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:59 am 

Bought it new on Amazon.

Seller and Tamiya both responded and Tamiya has agreed the the pictures I attached do indeed show a Bismarck-class hull/deck with Hipper-class parts, all still bagged and a Prinz Eugen box. They emailed me a shipping label to send them the error kit and they are shipping me a replacement.

The Amazon seller offered to make good, but it's not really a seller issue, so it's good that Tamiya is taking care of it.

Problem solved as far as I'm concerned. :)

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:01 am 

Spot wrote:

Seller and Tamiya both responded and Tamiya has agreed the the pictures I attached do indeed show a Bismarck-class hull/deck with Hipper-class parts, all still bagged and a Prinz Eugen box. They emailed me a shipping label to send them the error kit and they are shipping me a replacement.

But the thing is, Tamiya does not produce a Bismarck in 1/700. It only produces a Bismarck in 1/350. Aoshima is the only one of the "Big 3" Waterline consortium (Tamiya, Hasegawa, Aoshima) who produces a Bismarck.

Dan K,

If you're reading this, do the Big 3 Waterline Consortium produce all their 1/700 models in the same factory? That's the only reason I could see behind the mixup.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:41 am 

How many bags?

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:07 am 

Maybe, we the jury, should also see the evidence (pics). :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:25 pm 

Maybe sell the kit and the documentation from Tamiya on eBay?

This sounds more rare than finding a quarter struck with two heads! There must be a market for this unusual Tamiya what-if one-off. :)

Last edited by reigels on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:26 pm 

Even when the scale is unknown to me, I think I can distinguish a battleship's hull from a cruiser's hull.

I'm curious about the photos...

Happy :wave_1: ~ Olaf!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:55 pm 

So let me get this straight...

First I was given crap because I didn't feel like rushing home from work to measure the hull of a model kit because the nearest angstrom might be of crucial importance and now I'm being chided because clearly I should have been able to easily tell the difference between a 1/700 battleship hull and that of a cruiser?

Gotta love the internet.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:55 am 

Spot wrote:
So let me get this straight...

First I was given crap because I didn't feel like rushing home from work to measure the hull of a model kit because the nearest angstrom might be of crucial importance and now I'm being chided because clearly I should have been able to easily tell the difference between a 1/700 battleship hull and that of a cruiser?

Gotta love the internet.

Where's all that coming from?? I think most, if not all, of us are just curious of this strange conglomeration!

Report this post