The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:19 am 

As far as modern ship goes, the San Antonio class ain't looking too ugly like the rest. I had to grab one as soon as this was released, and I don't usually buy or build modern tin cans.

Engineering wise, Dragon did well, with the deck in top/bottom 2 pieces plus the lower full hull. With such large pieces with complex shape, some warping is unavoidable unless the company's Tamiya. So there's still some adjustments that's needed here and there, nothing a bunch of plastic ribs wouldn't solve.

There's not a whole lot of pieces and very quickly it's left to the small fittings. Some of the vertical pieces have slight fitting issues, not that they don't fit, but that they don't quite fit flush but instead at somewhere around 95%. If you are experienced with Trumpeter/Dragon kits, you get the drill. Trimming/test fitting/filling, all basics.

Instructions is standard Dragon again, a couple parts 'missing in action' but if you squirt carefully at the drawings, they are all there, just not called out. For example A25 which to be glued to the lower left of the main bridge window (there's a positioning mark there), and A37 which goes at the starboard of the fore tower base structure (in the diagrams but never called out). The colour call outs are half-arsed, most horizontal surfaces should be painted dark grey just like the flight deck.

The included amphibious sprues are all old as previous releases, of 90's vintage. Decal is printed by Cartograph, good quality though accuracy/alignment wise is so-so.

Sorely missing are a couple rigid hull inflatable boats. There are no inner dock details nor is the hanger door openable. The model itself is very 'hobby boss' like, where it provides a good base and essential details but with areas looking a bit bare to make it a great model out of the box.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:45 am 

Most of the parts - the body, and the small fittings are ready for painting.

Notice vessel markings are included in the decal - Markings for 4 sea knights, 2 sea stallions, 2 ospreys, 2 sea cobras and 1 LCAC are included, plus the giant flight deck decal. Given it's Cartograph I'm expecting no problems.

Included PE consists of 2 slide doors on the starboard side, safety netting around the flight deck and the yard arms on the mast which is a bit half baked and with some leftover railings I made it complete. Also added some 4 bar railings on required areas as none are included.

Also note, resin RHIBs can be obtained from Orangehobby.

Further update: The big deck decal provided is about 1mm too big both length and width-wise. To retain the white edges, you have to either - install the piece of the hanger door after you've applied decal (also trim the width), so that the decal actually runs 'underneath' the piece, or cut the decal in the middle in a way that you can shift/overlap a section without distorting the lines.

Last edited by potchip on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:44 pm 

The CH 47's and LCAC that come with this kit are aweful. Looks like your's is coming along pretty nice.

1/350 Shimakaze
1/350 Sharnhorst Dragon
1/350 Belfast

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:42 am 

I ran out of masking tape for a while so couldn't quite paint the bottom. The perils of unfinished build is that I displaced a few decals...

Started this weekend and it's just about done. Heard Hobby Boss is releasing a new one, hopefully it's better! The cyberhobby kit isn't bad, but is really lacking details and small fittings.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:43 pm 

Looks very nice potchip. It is a nice crisp build. Love the flag. Also it's about time the added decal windows for the aircraft. It dresses them up real nice.

1/350 Shimakaze
1/350 Sharnhorst Dragon
1/350 Belfast

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:33 pm 

And this model is now listed for sale on Ebay, I believe. Neat, competent build. Congrats. Just got to see the San Antonio of Rockland, ME last week. Big ship from the water!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:57 am 

hi,

I resuming building model warships and I choose LPD-21 New York from Cyberbobby since I like these type of ships.
What references from Vallejo colors would you recommend to paint with brush the vertical surfaces (light grey) and the decks (medium/dark grey) of this LPD?

Thanks in advance
Regards,
Ayala Botto

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:20 pm 

Hi Ayala, Sorry can't really give exact reference as I'm not a colour code person. For the hull I used tamiya's royal light grey added with a hint of blue, and for the horizontal surfaces I used a dark grey from lifecolor range (somewhatlighter than the sasebo grey) and the bottle has long since lost its painted number (as it often happens on lifecolor bottles!) Sorry can't really help much. As you can see nothing scientific about my method - just check the photos and find the closest match.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:10 pm 

potchip wrote:
Instructions is standard Dragon again, a couple parts 'missing in action' but if you squirt carefully at the drawings, they are all there, just not called out. For example A25 which to be glued to the lower left of the main bridge window (there's a positioning mark there), and A37 which goes at the starboard of the fore tower base structure (in the diagrams but never called out). The colour call outs are half-arsed, most horizontal surfaces should be painted dark grey just like the flight deck.

Hi,
I'm currently building Cyber-bobby USS New York LPD-21, and I can't see where A37 should be placed.
Could you post a picture with the right location of part A37, please?
Regarding part A25 I had no problem since is clearly visible in the pictures you posted

BTW, I replaced the original RIM-116 with the ones produced by Orange Hobby, and made all the difference!

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Ayala Botto

Last edited by AyalaBotto on Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:55 am 

A37 goes to starboard side of the fore radar array - on the side of the radar base structure. You can see it in the top view of step 4, behind A52. Having said that, the real ship does not appear to have this bit at all - though I used it to cover up the raised locating mark for A37.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:15 am 

HI,

thanks for the info.
I thought this part represents a "box" to store flags and for that reason it should be placed each side of the radar base structure, instead of just a single one in the stb side.
Correct if I'm wrong.

Check this photo form a LPD produced by Motion Models:
Source: http://www.motionmodels.com/ships/amphib/lpd21.html

Also noticed that the Cyber-hobby LPD-21 does not include SBROC neither Nulka launchers, that can be cleary seen in some photos at the link: http://www.motionmodels.com/ships/amphib/lpd21.html

thanks
regards,
Ayala Botto

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:30 am 

Hi,

I’m currently building Cyber-hobby USS New York LPD-21 (1/700) and I choose to use part B9, because I wanted to represent this model with the closed door, without access to the internal dock.
However I changed my mind and now I want to represent this model with the rear doors completely open providing access to the internal dock in order to use the LCAC provided in this kit.
Unfortunately I might have put the necessaries parts to build this configuration in the bin, and that’s the reason I’m posting this message.

The parts I’m looking for are:
B7
B10
B14
B15
B8
B11 (2x)

Here’s a photo of the instructions sheet of this model which might help you to understand the parts I’m looking for:

If by any change anybody has built this model with the “closed” version (using only part B9) and does not need the mentioned parts used to build the “open” version, could you please contact me?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Ayala Botto

Report this post