The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:23 am 

Great work George! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

zs180 wrote:
The model now looks sterile and toy-like.

Yep, this always my least favorite 'phase' of a model, exactly because of that reason... ;)

zs180 wrote:
Next I will apply washes to tone down the harsh contrasts and blend the colours. Then shadows and highlights will be accentuated

I'm looking forward to that!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:10 pm 

Hello!

Do not go over with weathering. She was a well kept warship. I hope I typed that ok.

What a fantastic HMS Valiant You have made.

Measure twice, cut once. Measuring once could be quicker...

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:48 pm 

mikegr, Jim, Martocticvs, pascalemod, marijn, mifune,
thank you all for your kind remarks!
I have been to the US for two weeks now with a good friend of similar interest, that's why the work on HMW Valiant has stalled temporarily.
It has been a great journey which I guess was a once-in-a-lifetime occasion.
We have visited six (!) museum battleships (USS New Jersey, USS Wisconsin, USS North Carolina, USS Alabama, USS Texas
(only from the bank) and USS Iowa), two active harbour bases (Norfolk, San Diego), the sailing ships replicas at Jamestown, the Steven F. Udvar-Hazi center (aircraft museum) at Washington DC, the Kennedy Space Center at Orlando and the Baltimore Railroad Museum.
Packed with lifetime experiences and about 2000 photographs we have returned home three days ago.
I have already continued work on my model giving it several washes.
Mifune, I try to be restrained weathering my ship, I know that the RN battleships had a well-kept appearance even in wartime, although this was harder to maintain under wartime conditions.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:39 pm 

Here are some pictures showing the results of the work done in the last couple of days. I applied washes to the hull and superstructure parts using three shades of AK interactive range, then applied a layer of clear acrylic varnish. Decals from Five Star bearing the somewhat curious name “US Navy Shipping Water Gauge” have been used to indicate the Plimsoll marks. Next shades have been accentuated using the AK interactive shading oil paint. The same treatment has been applied to all (i.e. hundreds of) remaining parts not shown here. Highlights will be added using lighter colours as the next step then the whole ships will be sprayed over with matt varnish. This will hopefully result in a somewhat lighter overall appearance. I hope the weathering job has not been overdone!
Attachment:
mws1.JPG
mws1.JPG [ 333.66 KiB | Viewed 1129 times ]

Attachment:
mws2.JPG
mws2.JPG [ 398.75 KiB | Viewed 1129 times ]

Attachment:
mws3.JPG
mws3.JPG [ 350.95 KiB | Viewed 1129 times ]

Attachment:
mws4.JPG
mws4.JPG [ 393.83 KiB | Viewed 1129 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:19 pm 

That looks fantastic. To my eye, the weathering looks good, and isn't overdone.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:39 pm 

Thank you Martin, it is really pleasing to see that you follow my work!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:44 pm 

Painting has been finished by now and here is the result. It may not seem much different from the previous phase but it is, when viewed with the human eye. Highlights have been added with drybrushing, or, for the most part painting lighter shades of the respective colour on all the protruding edges of all parts. This has been rather tedious but seems worthwhile when I look at the details that really pop out - but in a natural way.
Attachment:
mws1.JPG
mws1.JPG [ 300.6 KiB | Viewed 1016 times ]

Attachment:
mws2.JPG
mws2.JPG [ 368.78 KiB | Viewed 1016 times ]

Attachment:
mws3.JPG
mws3.JPG [ 396.56 KiB | Viewed 1016 times ]

Attachment:
mws4.JPG
mws4.JPG [ 399.39 KiB | Viewed 1016 times ]

Attachments:
mws3.JPG
mws4.JPG
mws3.JPG
mws4.JPG
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:46 pm 

For some reason unbeknownst to me some pics are shown repeatedly - apologies for that!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:50 pm 

After having finished the paintjob, I started the last phase of the build: final assembly. The forecastle deck, quarterdeck and shelter deck have been studded with mushroom vents. Some cable reels of various sizes have also been added along with wash deck lockers, boat chocks and a pair of paravanes. Some prominent vents adorn the perimeter of barbette B and X. The ground tackle has been given special attention: the PE anchor chains have been treated with AK photoetch burnishing fluid instead of being painted giving a nice, subtly metallic finish. This is not visible in the pictures. Finer chains have been added which connect the anchor chains with the various brake and bottle screw slips. The anchors themselves are black in colour –a feature I gleaned from the original photographs.
Attachment:
mws5.JPG
mws5.JPG [ 230.65 KiB | Viewed 1015 times ]

Attachment:
mws6.JPG
mws6.JPG [ 363.71 KiB | Viewed 1015 times ]

Attachment:
mws7.JPG
mws7.JPG [ 375.87 KiB | Viewed 1015 times ]

Attachment:
mws8.JPG
mws8.JPG [ 391.04 KiB | Viewed 1015 times ]

Attachment:
mws9.JPG
mws9.JPG [ 366.85 KiB | Viewed 1015 times ]

Attachment:
mws10.JPG
mws10.JPG [ 355.53 KiB | Viewed 1015 times ]

Attachment:
mws11.JPG
mws11.JPG [ 331.06 KiB | Viewed 1015 times ]

Before the hangar is added it is necessary to finish the Swordfish planes, for one of them is going to be placed inside an open hangar. I prepared them for painting, one with folded wings and both with the upper wing kept separate to facilitate painting of the camouflage scheme. I took them from FlyHawk’s WW2 RN aircraft set I. They are beautiful little flying machines, almost complete with very little detail to add. However they represent the wheeled version whereas I needed the one with floats. Consequently I modified some leftover floats and replaced the undercarriage with them. Next I plan to complete the aircraft to be able to move on with the assembly of the ship.
Attachment:
mws12.JPG
mws12.JPG [ 366.52 KiB | Viewed 1015 times ]

Attachment:
mws13.JPG
mws13.JPG [ 128.95 KiB | Viewed 1015 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:37 am 

Impressive work on display here. Looks good!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:20 am 

Hi!
The painting turned out very nice, the details are amazing. :) This is also a very inspiring work.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:48 am 

Lovely weathering! Good job with those floats! :thumbs_up_1: Looking forward to see the swordfish completed (very promising so far)

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:08 am 

Fantastic Work George! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:
All that superfine detailing is really paying off now! ;)

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:22 pm 

GewoonWouter, Szabi, SG1, Marijn,
thank you very much!
The floatplanes have seen been finished. I will post new pictures in a few days.
I wish you could see the model with your own eyes!
My poor photography does not do it justice.
In reality details seem much sharper, colours are more subdued and contrast is reduced.
I will try to take better photographs next time!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:39 am 

zs180 wrote:
I wish you could see the model with your own eyes!
My poor photography does not do it justice.
In reality details seem much sharper, colours are more subdued and contrast is reduced.

Having seen some of you models in person, I can vouch for that. They do look much better in the flesh indeed! ;)

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:46 pm 

Many thanks, Marijn!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:52 pm 

The two Swordfish aircraft have been completed. Their construction required much more time and effort than anticipated. I was delighted to find that Airfix had released a kit in 1:72 scale of an aircraft that was embarked on HMS Valiant in 1940. I took this kit as a basis for the refinement of my pair of little Swordfish. I mixed lightened shades of the camouflage pattern shown in the Airfix kit’s instructions and painted them on with a fine brush. The roundels are decals from FlyHawk and Trumpeter, the insignia on the tail fin has been painted on, identification letters have been drawn on with a fine marker. Stretched sprue was used to rig the biplanes instead of the PE rendition, which was cut out from between the struts supporting the upper wing. Before and after applying decals a coat of gloss varnish was sprayed on. The aircraft have been given a light wash with diluted flesh colour, the panel lines have been accentuated by a diluted black wash, and the biplanes - little kits in themselves - were finished by adding a coat of matte varnish.
Attachment:
mws1.JPG
mws1.JPG [ 218.18 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Attachment:
mws2.JPG
mws2.JPG [ 181.86 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Attachment:
mws3.JPG
mws3.JPG [ 227.29 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Attachment:
mws4.JPG
mws4.JPG [ 154.38 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Attachment:
mws5.JPG
mws5.JPG [ 174.8 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Attachment:
mws6.JPG
mws6.JPG [ 137.41 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Attachment:
mws7.JPG
mws7.JPG [ 171.68 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

To gain an idea of the planes' size, it might be worth noting that they are attached to a regular pin.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:56 pm 

It was my original intention to fit the one with folded wings in one of the hangars. I have not tested the fit before construction and once the aircraft had been finished it turned out that it just does not fit in the hangar! I put in the front section in and the rest remained outside. Luckily this aircraft received the same detailing as the other one, in spite of the fact that, according to my original plan, only the after end of it would have been visible.
The middle superstructure containing the hangars has been glued on and provided with various details like fifteen lockers, boat chocks for four boats, inclined ladders and railing on every platform. I hope to speed up construction now because I will have more time for my hobby for a few weeks.
Attachment:
mws8.JPG
mws8.JPG [ 386.84 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Attachment:
mws9.jpg
mws9.jpg [ 393.56 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Attachment:
mws10.JPG
mws10.JPG [ 385.71 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Attachment:
mws11.JPG
mws11.JPG [ 362.39 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Attachment:
mws12.JPG
mws12.JPG [ 387.48 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Attachment:
mws13.JPG
mws13.JPG [ 316.16 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Attachment:
mws14.JPG
mws14.JPG [ 288.24 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Attachment:
mws15.JPG
mws15.JPG [ 388.5 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:20 pm 

A word or two on the railing: I used pre-measured railing from FlyHawk's comprehensive update set this time. After much deliberation I ended up choosing it because I could not resist the temptation of using appropriate lengths thus making the job of attaching the railing easier (because bulwarks and screens were scratchbuilt, this benefit was partially lost – I had to adjust the length of railing in many instances). Besides, I was afraid that the finest of all, GMM Gold Plus - from which I do not have unlimited quantity - would not be available anymore. This concern proved to be unfounded later. The comfort of pre-measured railing does not come without a drawback, though. It is more thickness. I do hate thick railing! To find a way to avoid the additional thickness of paint layers applied I tried a new method: AK’s blackening solution was used for the longitudinals of the railing on most decks which led to an acceptable thickness. The brass should be absolutely clean and free of any grease to get a satisfying result. The stanchions were hand painted individually. Oblique support struts of stretched sprue have been added where deemed appropriate.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:00 am 

zs180 wrote:
It was my original intention to fit the one with folded wings in one of the hangars. I have not tested the fit before construction and once the aircraft had been finished it turned out that it just does not fit in the hangar!

Never mind, it's even better! I like the variation given by the different configuration of the hydroplanes fully visible out of the hangars. It's a plus. It adds a subtle touch of realism in an already beautiful composition. I was looking forward to see the planes completed and painted: they are amazing! :cool_2: Congrats.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next