The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:28 pm 

Hello:

I've also made progress on the 5" gun platforms. I (somewhat nervously) cut off the bulwarks...the front ones were very thick but the rear ones weren't too bad. At any rate, off they went, and new brass ones were made and put in their place. Once they are glued in, I'll smooth the outside so it's all nice and flush. I may yet add some details to the outside of the bulwarks once the smoothing is done.

I also removed the molded on raised detail. I think, if left in place, the guns would sit too high (the gun bases are just sitting there..not glued down or accurately located). As it is, it looks like the top of the guns get close to the flight deck.

They have you add these little low walls in the middle of the gun platform. The ones for the front platforms were not long enough by a fair amount. Maybe it's because those parts accommodate the thick plastic which I had removed. I put in a little sheet plastic to get it to the right length.

It's taken a lot of fitting and filing to get these parts to fit well. I've had an especially hard time with the rear-starboard side. There's a little plastic part that's the forward 'wall' that goes from the 5" gun platform down to the hangar deck. I think I've broken that off twice now while trying to get things to fit. But I think I've gotten it sorted now.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments:
proc_0216.jpg
proc_0216.jpg [ 87.13 KiB | Viewed 929 times ]
proc_0228.jpg
proc_0228.jpg [ 183.82 KiB | Viewed 929 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:35 pm 

And just for fun, here's what it looks like at this point with the main parts dry fit together.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments:
proc_0215.jpg
proc_0215.jpg [ 79.61 KiB | Viewed 929 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:21 pm 

what is with the gap in the flight deck in front of the island?
is this what your island will look like? https://www.model-monkey.com/product-pa ... -trumpeter

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:26 pm 

Really nice work on those shields!
DavidP wrote:
what is with the gap in the flight deck in front of the island?

That's where the wind deflector goes - that's how they designed the kit.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:55 pm 

is "hinged palisades" the same as "wind deflector" as should be 2 of them, in front of the island & in front of the forward elevator?

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:57 pm 

DavidP wrote:
is this what your island will look like?

The island will look similar to this photo. But some changes were made from the time this photo was taken to the time depicted by the kit. I think the main difference is that the long platform below the bridge, and partly behind the forward boat crane, was removed. The forward boat crane was also removed. I think some small details above the bridge might also be different. The platform on the side of the funnel with 2 searchlights was changed, and a small platform was added above that for a radar. But other than all of that, it should look similar to the picture.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments:
19-N-29696%20small.jpeg
19-N-29696%20small.jpeg [ 315.97 KiB | Viewed 882 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:46 pm 

what time period in 1942 does the kit represent?

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:06 pm 

DavidP wrote:

Hello:

I believe that the consensus is that the kit represents the Big E at the time of the Battle of Santa Cruz Islands in October 1942. However, the ship didn't get to a ship yard until May of 1943. So I think it's unlikely that the appearance of the ship changed much from the time she left Pearl Harbor in Oct '42 until she got back to Pearl Harbor in May '43.

Cheers
Mike

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:25 pm 

Very nice work. Here is some inspiration for you. I just visited the National Naval Aviation Museum and saw this work of art. Keep it going.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2foPCPHjwfs

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/users/James-Guard/user-index.html

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:53 am 

mconnelley wrote:
DavidP wrote:

Hello:

I believe that the consensus is that the kit represents the Big E at the time of the Battle of Santa Cruz Islands in October 1942. However, the ship didn't get to a ship yard until May of 1943. So I think it's unlikely that the appearance of the ship changed much from the time she left Pearl Harbor in Oct '42 until she got back to Pearl Harbor in May '43.

Cheers
Mike

Yes, she's in her Santa Cruz fit, but missing the radar (off hand I don't remember the name) mounted on the starboard side of the island.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:06 am 

Hello:

Just a brief update for today. I've moved to the underside of the aft flight deck. I deviated from the Pontos instructions a wee bit. They have you put down the cross-wise parts first, then the length-wise parts. I've had issues with getting some of the inter-locking parts to go together when I put one set down first. So, this time I inter-locked the cross-wise and length-wise parts, held them together with some tape, then glued them down. I think this approach worked very well. Now I'm glueing down all of the little length-wise ribs (for a lack of a better term). There's something like 40 of them...I'm maybe half way done.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments:
proc_0346.jpg
proc_0346.jpg [ 147.7 KiB | Viewed 644 times ]
proc_0344.jpg
proc_0344.jpg [ 141.79 KiB | Viewed 644 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:28 pm 

Very nice tedious work! I've been enjoying watching your build.

Kelley

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:39 am 

....and speaking of tedious work, I decided to spend some time on the airwing. I remembered that I had about 10 more F4Fs to put together. I had forgotten that there were 10 SBDs that hadn't had any elevators attached. After putting the elevators on, the next step was putty-ing in the panel lines for both sets of planes. Each one takes a few minutes, but a few minutes x 20 becomes two hours. With ~60 planes in the airwing, each small step adds a lot of time.

Next is sanding, then putting the wheel on. After that, would be the photo-etch details on the planes, and the props too. But I might turn back to the ship by then.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments:
proc_0389.jpg
proc_0389.jpg [ 227.07 KiB | Viewed 435 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:39 am 

Hello:

At this point, all of the planes in the airwing have been assembled, puttied, sanded, and now have their landing gear attached. This means I can play 'airboss' with them and arrange them on the flight deck in various ways. I'm not sure that the arrangement shown will be the final one. I think I have a total of 57 planes on deck: 25 F4Fs, 20 SBDs, and 12 TBFs. At the time depicted by the kit, the actual airwing only had 12 TBFs, so that's why I made 12 of them.

Next for the airwing is a lot of detailing. I need to get the landing ear doors on the planes, and make the propellers. On a previous carrier project, I combined the kit and the photo etch props. I cut off the plastic prop blades, then cut the remaining plastic prop 'shaft' in half vertically in the plane of the prop blades. I glued the PE prop onto the plastic shaft, then glued the prop dome back on. This resulted in a more realistic look than a flat PE prop stuck onto the front of the plane.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments:
proc_0417.jpg
proc_0417.jpg [ 175.13 KiB | Viewed 313 times ]
proc_0418.jpg
proc_0418.jpg [ 121.88 KiB | Viewed 313 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:27 am 

Hello:

The prop production line has gotten under way. I noticed that the Pontos set has the prop hub/shaft pass through the prop itself, which will save me a fair amount of work when it comes to the SBDs and F4Fs. However, the Pontos set has enough parts to detail 15 of each, and I've built up 25 F4Fs and 20 SBDs, so I'll need to figure that one out somehow...

So I started with the TBMs. This picture illustrates the process. I start with the kit prop (left), and cut off the blades to just have the shaft (left-middle). Then I cut the shaft in half where the blades were (right-middle), and then glue the two halves to either side of the PE prop to finish the process (right). Repeat that 12 times (without any parts going PING out of the tweezers) and you're done.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments:
proc_0422.jpg
proc_0422.jpg [ 52.1 KiB | Viewed 224 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:30 pm 

Nice job on that air group so far! Next CV I do, I need to do the Air Group first like this instead of after I finish the ship, always suffer burnout by that time around.

Keep up the great work

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:17 pm 

Yes, nice job on the air group! I'll agree with Matt that next time I will do the aircraft first.

I'm also going to try out your technique on the propellers/props. I like how they look.

Keep up the great work!

Kelley

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:38 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Nice work!

-Steve L.

Catalog of over 3000 products for scale modelers - https://www.model-monkey.com/

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:40 am 

Hello:

The guys in the propeller shop have been busy. All of the propellers have been made. The Pontos set gives you parts for 15 planes, so I made the 15 props for the F4Fs and SBDs and improvised for the rest. For example, 5 of the SBD props are actually the parts for the TBDs, but in 1/350 scale it's hard to notice the difference. The F4F props are a mix of the 15 from the Pontos set and 10 from Tom's model works with the kit plastic hub/shaft glued on. In the picture, the props are (from top to bottom) for the 12 TBFs, 25 F4Fs, and 20 SBDs.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments:
proc_0438.jpg
proc_0438.jpg [ 118.74 KiB | Viewed 38 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:44 am 

Hello:

Since my dad is an aviation ordnanceman, I had to put some ordnance on the SBDs. I looked up the dimensions for 500 and 1000 lbs bombs, and found some plastic rod that's about the right OD for a 500 lbs bomb in 1/350 scale. I cut the rod to length (just over 4 mm), and rounded off the front. I left the back as is since it's really hard to see under the plane. Here's what it looks like on an SBD with the bomb release 'cradle' attached. One down...19 to go.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments:
proc_0437.jpg
proc_0437.jpg [ 125.42 KiB | Viewed 37 times ]
Report this post