The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:51 am 

A little more on the turrets, I have now assembled the 3D turrets and modified them so that they can rotate, I did this using the centre sections of the kit turret bases.

The first picture shows what I had to resort to not having a lathe to hand due to the workshop temporarily being closed. To be able to use the kit bases I first needed to remove the center section that sits into the turret barbettes, not only did I not have the lathe but also any other modeling tools except for the cheap kit I bought just to be able to do some basic tasks, alas this kit did not include a compass..lo.

My solution was to use what was to hand, in this case, the top from a water bottle which just happened to fit over the base spigot, and then a shot glass which was close to the ID of the hole in the turret and also fitted over the water bottle cap... yes I know, very Heath Robinson..:)

After using some snips and plenty of filing I arrived at a base that sat nicely into the opening in the bottom of the turret.

I then marked out the remaining turret bases and did likewise,

3 pictures to show the end result, first X and Y turrets. Note that I haven't glued the bases to the turret bodies yet.

A and B turrets

The last picture for tonight shows all 4 turrets sitting in position.

Not sure what to do next, the lack of tooling is really hampering things, I'll try to find something nontaxing to do...:)

Pete

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:13 pm 

Good afternoon all, I have done a little more work on Hood, mainly the front rangefinder and a start of the foretop, working on the rangefinder has brought up an interesting issue which I have been discussing on the call of shops page and also during private PM's with EJ. The issue regards a handrail around the rangefinder, I first noticed it on Stefan's drawings but then spotted what could be the same in a photo in AOTS, granted no other photo seems to show this, or just isn't as clear so the jury is still out although I may bow to EJ's vast experience and ignore the possibility of a handrail.

I'll begin with the photo that has stirred this up, I've enlarged it a little too far to see clearly, check the photo in AOTS page 27 where it's clearer to judge for yourselves.

here is the model where I have included a handrail, funny enough this part is included in the Trumpeter PE set although theirs goes all the way around, I have modified it to stop under the front supports as drawn by Stefan, It's an easy part to remove when the jury come in.

Putting the rangefinder aside for a while I moved on to the torpedo lookout platform, the platform comes split into two halves that need soldering together once the top and undersides have been built, I have used solder for all of these parts, picture shows the parts before cleaning up.

to ensure that the two parts joined correctly I used a couple of No.60 drills to keep things aligned while soldering. My method is to brush on some Bakers fluid to the undersides being careful not to go near the drills and then solder along the outside seam.

The platform is now attached to the front tripod pole, the instructions don't make clear where this sits (above or below the ring moulded around the pole), so I decided to go below which makes sense or the support wings would foul the ring.

There are two ladders, one front and one back, I have only fitted the back for now as the other goes up above the pole height and might get damaged.

I then made a start on the fore starfish, this picture shows the underside of the starfish ( as before this is two PE sections folded and joined together), looking at the parts I decided it better to glue the plastic top to the tripod as the PE parts all butt up against this.

This close-up picture shows where I started which is the rear section as the brass parts interlock with each other at the rear. Note the nice grooves for the next sections to fit into, this is very accurate and I chose to solder all of these parts rather than glue to give it the strength I feel it requires.

The completed underside with torpedo platform included.

topside with the fighting top just sitting there for a visual.

Next, I will probably complete the top area and then perhaps make a start on painting the main and secondary armaments, I'll feel much happier when those delicate parts are attached to the model and safely under glass.

Pete

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:20 pm 

I've looked at the pic in the AOTS and it indeed strongly suggests a handrail :smallsmile: The pic is attributed to Burt, but a quick flip though his book did not result in a better version (I don't have a high-res copy either).

However, any other picture I have of the rangefinder including a few very clear shots do not show any handrail (or remnants of one). So I cannot rule out the rail was present on Hood in the early 20s but I cannot find it on any other picture between launch and loss.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:38 pm 

Hi EJ

It is a strange one, I'm thinking like you that it was probably only there in the early years, if indeed it was there at all? IIRC the photo is dated 1924 and like you I can't see clear evidence in any other photo? Very strange, I'll be doing some painting soon and unless I find some further evidence I'll be removing the handrail ready to paint.

Thanks for your time spent EJ, very much appreciated.

Pete

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9