The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:34 am 

As I Mention......"Over Kill", but Now it is Pri-Fly.... :Mad_6: :Mad_5: :Tirade:

The Windows DO NOT Match up on this part of Shandong!!! :mad_2: :doh_1:

As I procceded to 'dry-fit the PE', I can see right away....the PE windows do NOT match up.....

The "right of the picture" I did glue down and matched up 'okay', but those "forward-facing windows", just needed to be cut. AND Even Then...I had to cut some of the window on that side.

The windows that are cut off and off-to-the-side can be attached and wrap around nicely (meh).

But AGAIN, I had to "NOTCH" the tops of the windows on that part and there was another door I wanted to cut out.

What a pain.... :sleepy: so after taking a nap to relax and think, I did what most of us would do.....

...and sand the detail down :thinking: :nod_1:

So, I cut out the Last window and door combo and reattach.

NOW, it looks a bit better...but I need to sleep, so I'll show more later this week.

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:13 pm 

Now here are the Bridges of Shandong CV-17....

Here is the opened port side Nav Bridge, you can kinda see the door opened up and hatch-work ( I always like to have some openings of the ship ).

Similar pic, but here you can see Right Thru the door on the flight deck, it is the last door on the rt, at the bottom of the island.

The "tougher" Pri-Flight..."tougher" because the PE was NOT aligned properly = Not At ALL!! :mad_1: (MUCH Work is need on This 'BBB' PE)

The entire port side/FD side, minus (-) the smaller platforms for the ECM equipment, which I'll be showing later.

Island looking forward.

Starboard side.

As you can see on this view, it Isn't pretty, but had to deal with it ( we All have a bad side....maybe I'll be able to cover it out with "make-up" ).

Rear view of island = Pri-Fly.

To give y'all a heads up, Liaoning CV-16 is Just About finished, but I'll show both ships islands just to show a comparison of PE After I have paint in that Very Light Grey.

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:01 pm 

Just a short posting working on platforms for ECMs and 'Type 346A' planar radars, those radars are an 'Improved Type 346' radar of F/G-bands with a possible increase in range. The F-band is used for surveillance while the G-band is used for missile guidance.

I must say that 'BigBlueBoy' PE is Not bad, except for the Pri-Fly fiasco the other is here with the ECM platforms....

Here is a completed PE, with the kits plastic parts and a trimmed portion in the "three o'clock position"....

...making the platform is straight-forward, while folding it over and bending 90 degrees the platform supports.

Platforms supports folded over...

...then proceed in folding in half, those platforms, BUT while adding those PE platforms onto the Actual plastic kit, you need to fill in the placement hole...partially because the PE is quite thin. Fortunately, I have a couple of PE platforms as spares, so I added filler onto those placement holes and After waiting 30 minutes, slipped in the unused PE platform to "drill out" the hole where the Newer PE platform will be added.

As for the kits ECM platform, You REALLY need to sanddown the platform where the ECM gear is on top of that platform...

...then trim and glue onto the Newer PE platform.

{Shinny}As far as the planar radars on Shandong...it is Quite straight forward but you need to bend up 'lower bar' at the bottom for a 3D portion.

A little sanding around the 'Box' of the radar set might be needed (molding problem) and scribe a line for that upper portion PE on top of the 'Box'.

More to come later with the mast!!! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:32 pm 

Okay....its "Later".....

Here is Shandong CV-17 Type 002 with Most of the PE attached (except for railings...which will be attached After I paint the decks). I plan on priming the entire island and paint with 'Vallejo Air - USAF Lt Gray', but AGAIN....rain is expected this week in SoCal!! :faint:

But enjoy this part of the build....

NOTE: On both port side [showing] and starboard side, I placed a vert ladder along the island, since Again, I have few picts/images of CV-17, until last night! Now I found that there is a hatch on the bottom-most ECM platform and again short vertical ladders on opposing sides as you move up the different platforms. But I Did NOT add 'openings' like I did on Liaoning CV-16 island build. Long-story-short.....I will be removing those long vertical ladders.

There are ladders going up the mast to those Very small platforms.

You can see some putty on those ECM platform hole insertions along the side of the island.

'BigBlueBoy' did a Pretty Fine job on the PE for the island except for those problems I ran into in Previous posts.

Moving onto CV-17 airwing next!!!

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:22 pm 

Alright......after "surviving 'Aprils Fools'"....I thought I post some of the aircraft that were found on Type 001 = Liaoning CV-16!

Now, remember that I am building both ships at the same time, but here the Liaoning was sporting those "test article" Su-33s that the PLAN used and putting "newer" engines that seem to be under-performing in the case of not just lifting the a-c off the deck, but also, MORE Importantly, getting weapons aloft w/the a-c!! :lol_spit_1:

So, here are a few pics of those a-c...

Can Kinda see the numerals on the a-c.

TRIED, to paint those "test warning circle things" on the a-c ( maybe I went too far ) :sorry:

But you can see the "shark" on the tails of some of these "test aircraft".

They Still have there 'Liq mask' on those canopies, until I add some coat to them to seal those T I N Y (!!!) decals!

A closer look at T-A-c 'Red-554'.

But, in closing.... Liaoning is Just about complete, and with Shandong Close behind, both ships will be done shortly.

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:17 pm 

JUST a short posting plus (+) a video of Both islands.....guess which is which, Which I'm sure you all can do......... :thinking: :jump_1:

I just painted both islands their base color. I used 'Vallejo Air - USAF Lt Grey 71.246'. I do plan on using other colors for the different ships' island and I'll post those AFTER I'm finished with both ships.

But here is the video of both, with my narration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSk_eEwdYFM

I hope you enjoy the video and comment either here or on YT. :thumbs_up_1:

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:20 am 

:thumbs_up_1: Looking superb! Hangar details are fascinating!
I m putting 055 and Fujian carrier into my project list :woo_hoo:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:41 am 

Beautiful work on those islands, Mario.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:09 pm 

'Nathan Liu'.....you mean these???!!! I bought these about a couple months ago, since I wanted to complete mostly PLAN navy. But, I heard that they have started building Type 004 A/C....so I Might have to buy that one ........... Later. :heh:

'Bronco' 1/700 Fujian & 1/700 'Meng' Hainan!!

1/700 'Bronco' kit is plastic, but Very limited in special details ( like PE ), but does have a good CVW!!

1/700 'Meng' kit is also plastic, and Very detailed, but sold separately, it does have decals so Do NOT reorder any, but Does NOT have photo-etch, need to buy separately. It does have LCACs and helos, but would prefer PE rotors!!

'Dan K', thanks again for the comments, I mentioned your name for info on IJN carriers from another person on this site, I hope you don't mind.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:29 pm 

mmaresm wrote:
'Nathan Liu'.....you mean these???!!! I bought these about a couple months ago, since I wanted to complete mostly PLAN navy. But, I heard that they have started building Type 004 A/C....so I Might have to buy that one ........... Later. :heh:

Man is that you in the photo? I envy you! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:10 am 

Nathan Liu wrote:
mmaresm wrote:

Man is that you in the photo? I envy you! :thumbs_up_1:

YEAP, that be me.... :big_grin:

With both of those kits Fujian is not bad...with the basic shape, BUT, I need to do a review, a Complete Upgraded Review. I have done Reviews of a couple of models....but they stink :frown_2:. But I purchase my 1st smart phone and I Think :thinking: :yeah: that it will work in making a better production, I'll let you know, when I PM you.

As for the Hainan kit...That is Excellent, the Only thing you need to worry about is that You HAVE to ( well you don't Have too ) purchase the PE separate, from "Evil-bay", But Do NOT get the decals from "Evil-bay", they are the same ones in the kit!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:34 pm 

Howdy, ALL......

Sorry for the late posting, WORK is Just about EveryDay, even retired and working on USS IOWA Ed-Dept./Food Serv-Dept.....

But just a short posting of the cranes for Both Liaoning and Shandong.... :thumbs_up_1:

First Liaoning, since this kit is Almost done, I still need to apply decals and self-defense weapons, but I Almost forgot the cranes!!

These guys are from 'Youfeng', I have used their products before, but....These Cranes are V E R Y Delicate & Fragile :dead: But they do look GOOD!! Take a look...

Mechanisms for cranes.

A Lot of VERY Fine PE, including wire ropes with pulleys and Individual pulleys!!! :shipcaptain:

I have enough PE cranes to do not just Liaoning CV-16, but MayBe other Russian A/C ships!!!

This pict, shows both cranes built, the one on the left is 'BBB' (BigBlueBoy), BOTH Very Delicate!!

Beautiful etching on Shandong CV-17 crane, makes it look Much more modern!

These Cranes required a LOT of Patience, I actually built two (2) CV-16 cranes, so when I build my Admiral K, it'll be all set. Even have another for my Kiev-class and Baku/Vikrant A/Cs!!

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 10:52 pm 

Nearing 'The End' of Liaoning CV-16!!! :woo_hoo:

I just need to finish with decal placement, and small self-defense weapons and Helicopters!! So I have a couple of after-market pieces, even "Chinese FD tractors"!!! Check it out....

'Youfeng' is a company from China, (go figure) that produce some pretty nice stuff....the cranes for Russian ships are quite numerous, with four (4) different types, so I had to look for the specific ones for this (former Russian ship), but the Z-9 helos look Too Sweet! Plus, they also have those tractors... :nod_1: . The only thing is having an understanding wife who would at times get home before I do....so she gets the mail..."AnOther kit???!! :argue: "But I NEED this one." and on and on... The Ka-25s might be used, but haven't found many pics with them on CV-16.

The tractors are cool and have "sailors" and also LADDERS for the a-c :nod_2:

The Z-9 ( Dalphins ) come in two (2) types ... SAR and ASW, I think I'll go with SAR.

Again, I have to look to see if PLAN had these for MayBe AEW?? The good thing I have PLENTY decals for PLAN a-c w/Chinese flags!

Here is what those tractors have!! Two (2) sets of tractors with Plenty of PE...but the pieces are Microscopic!!! :shipcaptain: :big_eyes:

And as far as the helos, Nicely detailed....they even come with torpedoes ( or is it 'torpedos, like 'Doritos' :huh: )

So, that's it for now....got some days off so she should be Totally completed soon!!

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 3:43 pm 

Here is the final ( minus the sailors ---- still working on that one ) Liaoning CV-16. These pictures were taken on my New smart phone, with "Magic Erase"!! :surfer:

Shandong, will be worked on Next.....Its the airwing and ( :mad_1: ) Missing decals for the hanger deck that will be worked on next! She might be about 65% done, still need to paint the FD mask off the landing area and a bit of the edge to match the upper hull. THEN, add the rest of the PE for around the ship, to finish off Shandong.

But, I'll try to show the rest of the "Finished Liaoning" on the 'Gallery'......in the meantime, enjoy the YT link for the "Completed Liaoning" ( although it is missing the helos, crews, and A/C 'whiskers' (radio antennae).... https://youtu.be/dEFxL4ge_G8

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 1:31 am 

Gorgeous result Moe,
I noticed a great and steady improvement in the quality of your builds from the first ones you've shown here up to this one and that certainly isn't just the kit quality :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:27 pm 

Oh Wow, 'Neptune'!! :big_grin:

That is Such a Great Complement! :thumbs_up_1: Like Many, (if not all of us) we try to improve on "our Trade".... either it is a "Profession" or a "Hobby". For me, seeing such great modellers, ( like when " I " was growing up....John Leyland ), I Always try to emulate him....and MayBe other might do the same for me, but it is Only because, "...I stood on the shoulder of Giants!"

But, Thanks for the complement, I try to do my best and get better in "my Trade" and improve on something I do well on, light lighting my ships, for example.

Still Not Finished with this 'thread' since I still have Shandong to complete, was hoping to show differences in the two (2) builds but mostly is just a difference in the use of PE. But CV-17 is 90% complete, I just need to complete the FD and CVW.

Mario

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:04 am 

Howdy, ALL!!!

It has been Awhile, since I posted after Liaoning was finished, I have been Quite busy.....on the Professional end, USS IOWA BB-61, and personal, with our daughter's family pet passing, 'Blu'. We had 'Blu' for 12 of her 15 years with us, she was a wonderful beagle and it was Quite Difficult for my daughter ( and For Our Family as a whole )....

The week of my daughters' B-day 12 Apr 11...

...and the week before we put 'Blu' in the hospital, she passed away here, at her home, and here she stays...."Good Nite, 'B-girl'" 8 May 23.

As for the IOWA, we Just completed 'Fleet Week' in San Pedro, CA working six of seven days (6 of 7 days), and actually being involved in four (4) of those days....working in the 'Education Dept.' & 'Food Services Dept'. I needed a break, but forgot to post some images of Shandong CV-17 work, so here we are...

I was working on some "newer" products for the deck....from 'Youfeng' and from 'YG Models' that I have shown previously, but some elevator work from 'BBB' and a newer paint job on the FD have Just been completed, so here are a few pictures of that work....

The 'BigBlueBoy' PE didn't line up Too well, but I was able to manage.

Here is Shandong CV-17 with most of CVW ( the other part will be partially in the hanger { When I Find a SET of Decals I purchased } )...

Most of the CVW on the FD are the clear type a-c ( yeah, the ones Everybody hates ), but I find them a little useful for those clear canopies.

I will try to show the placement of decals in the Next Posting.

Thanks for looking.

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:29 pm 

Good Mornin', but here are some picts of the decal placement, these are the Major decals, others will be placed later. So there will be another update, trying to catch-up!! :thumbs_up_1:

Shandong CV-17 decal placement.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:15 pm 

Last of the picts for today.....had some 'family obligations' that needed to be done, so Not Quite finished with all decal work!

Take a look at the perimeter of the FD, with a LOT of orange striping!

Here, I made some cut-aways where ladders lead down to the catwalks....BUT on this pict I had already placed guard rails around LSO area, ( good thing I waited to add these decals down BEFORE I attached any more PE!

With a Few of the a-c, not finished around the island, (except for the area behind the island).

Some of the 'dotted lines' where other a-c would be "chained & chocked", IF they were not being launched.

I hope to finish Shandong soon, but then where have we heard that before??!! :cool_1:

Stay Thirsty, my Friends.

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:47 pm 

So Here is the NEARLY completed decal settings on Shandong CV-17....

I'll try to show some more pics with a-c later, today......

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next