The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:51 pm 

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd share something I'm currently working on, the 1/350 Italian Heavy Cruiser Pola from Hobby Boss, now the one I'm going to show you is my second build of this ship, for those of you who have built or are building this ship you might agree with me when I say this is a "horrible kit!"

But at the same time "Fantastic!" Let me explain.

First the kit is relatively cheap as 1/350 scale ships of this size go.
Now when I say she is a horrible kit, there is just so much wrong with the ship when it comes to accuracy, which is fantastic for us veteran builders who love to research and scratch build.

She is a great kit for novice builders who are just starting out in the world of 1/350 scale ships she is a simple build, for us veteran builders she pretty much needs to be rebuilt from the keel to the top of the mast with a list of corrections I am not going to get into right now.

I did notice that the current kit I purchased appears to be a reissue in part since the paint guide page shows a pretty accurate depiction of the ship as she was in 1941 so it does give you a bit of a basis to start correcting the build.

Anyway here are some pics, I just shaved off all the doors and am going to replace them with leftover PE parts from the Prinz Eugen kit.

enjoy!

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 66.37 KiB | Viewed 1798 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 74.23 KiB | Viewed 1798 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 69.46 KiB | Viewed 1798 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:48 am 

You are making me very envious with the number of models and speed of building! Please don't take a photo of all the models together, or you will kill me with that! :worship_1: :faint:

Aop

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:00 am 

Hi,

Thanks for your comment, your in luck I currently can't take a pic of my fleet of 70 ships since 90% of them are packed in moving boxes, (well custom built moving boxes) which is killing me!

As for the speed of builds my trick is, I build in sections, when I get a kit I work on the hull, cleaning, and if there aren't any major modifications I install the drive shafts, propellers and rudder. Next step is clean and test fit the deck then I build all the large parts of the superstructure in sections, once all that dries for a day I go back and clean all the joints and start doing the research on deck color and any additional detail I need to build.

To be fair, I have only started with PE detailing in the last five years so the majority of my ships I have to go back and revisit to do the PE detailing.

I included a pic of my ship yard, from left to right is the French sub Surcouf, Japanese transport no103, USS Independence LCS-2, Graf Zeppelin (85% complete but on hold since Trumpeter announced they are coming out with one), DKM Bismark, Russian battle cruiser Pyotr Velikiy, Admiral Hipper, Blucher and last but not least HMS Belfast. My carriers unfortunately I can't do anything on since they are way to hard to transport, but if you look at my previous posts I did work on the airwings for my carriers.

Well enjoy!

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 65.5 KiB | Viewed 1712 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:25 am 

The easier question would be: what are the ships that you haven't built? Haha! :heh: :lol_3:

Regards,
Aop

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:14 pm 

Here is an update on the progress of this build, I've been using leftover PE from my Prinz Eugen kit, but I have run out of railing so time to pause this and work on the Admiral Hipper and then I can use leftover railings from her to finish.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 111.72 KiB | Viewed 1436 times ]
Report this post