The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:44 pm 

Here is CHILLIWACK as she stands at this point.

I started to shrink the depth charge racks on the stern. I did this by cutting through the cross pieces and then after sanding them down glued the two halves back together. Here they are without any post join work after the cut. (Reason for the reduction in width is both due to space of the sweep deck and the fact the depth charges that come with the kit are too long, so after cutting off the ends they tend to drop out of the depth charge rails)
Next step is to get them to fit and angle inwards while still leaving room to get between them for pulling the release pins at the end. After doing some more research on CHILLIWACK, based on the drawings from Burrard Dry Dock the rails aft did have a downward angle at the end. Many RCN corvettes built back east were straight as described by Ted, but the West Coast ones had an angle, so I won't need to redo them completley.

Started adding the deck fittings, such as the wooden planking on the focsle and on the sweep deck. Here is the sweep deck, you can also see a depth charge stand against the engine room casing as well as the tops of two vents just above the edge of the lower bulwark.

Then as a break I went back to the 4-Inch and added elevation and training wheels as well as sights.

More to follow, since I really need to get on the forward bandstand and the shells stored there for ready use.

Cheers,

CB

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:39 pm 

Great work as usual, really loving your build!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:10 pm 

Great work, Keep us updated!!

Paul

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:32 pm 

Thank you silvershadow and Paul O'Reilly,

I have been working on smaller deck fittings, mainly in an attempt to get the deck ready for paint.

Built a beef and vegetable screen to sit besides the forward companion way, due to the location and time I used a couple of deck boxes/lockers from the kit that won't find a place on the short focsle corvette (galley chimney box and starboard side hedgehog locker cut in half if anyone is interested). You can also see another vent against the superstructure. The photo did not work out, so I will take one again in another update.

I needed to sand down the mount and have added some round tubing to start to fill in the hole for the original kit swivel.

Now the really fiddly work, the forward bandstand has had stanchions added, ladders, ammunition davit and a raft of ready-use shells. The original drawings I have from Burrard Dry Dock have two small ammo lockers shown, but from the photographs I have found these were dropped as soon as the ready use brackets were fitted. I made those by cutting off the bottom half of the shell holders and added 0.010 by 0.020 strips of styrene to represent the top of the bracket and some 0.015 by 0.060 to make the forward support. Now they look more like the metal brackets that held the 4 inch shells.

Some minor work on the boat deck to place the mounts for the two 14 foot lifeboats.

And finally a look at the model so far:

Next I need to finish the windlass and some hand rails.

Cheers,

CB

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:34 pm 

Nice job! Great scratch building.

Can't wait to see more. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:56 pm 

I have one of these kits.

Great appreciation for what you have achieved here.

Just imagine what it was like to be stuck in one of these for the crossing??

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:35 pm 

Thanks for the comments JohnS and Strategos Augustus,

Here is a slightly better picture of the beef and vegetable screen boxes, you can also see the davit for the ammunition hoist and some of the gun detail. There is also one of the small vents that sat outside the splinter plates, West Coast built RCN corvettes had three on each side, something I don't think I have seen on East Coast builds so it would help in photo identification when there is no ship's number. The vent was made from one of the kit stanchions...for a useless part I seem to be using them everywhere.

Railings for my extra stairs proved a bit problematic, at first I figured I would use some plastic railing from the kit and bend them...but I found this to be fairly weak and since this is a display model and may get bumped I needed something stronger...so piano wire was used to make railings. They are a little thinner than the kit ones, but so are the post-production stanchions I intend to use and since those will have canvas dodgers added to most I think the difference will not be as noticeable.

I started to add some Maroon coloured primer to simulate 'red lead' over the grey car primer...you can see a little in this picture at the bottom.

You can see my hand railings made from the plastic kit railings, I added them on the superstructure based on John McKay & John Harland's Anatomy of the Ship - The Flower Class Corvette AGASSIZ.

I also figured out what to use for the last two lockers on the Engine Room Casing (a narrow locker and one of the large Hedgehog or 4-Inch lockers cut in half from the focsle of the original kit). As well as adding ladders down to the breezeway (you can just see the top in the bottom corner).

The green is some painters tape because that is what’s coming...priming the superstructure.

Cheers,

CB

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:42 pm 

Suddenly it dawned on me I was missing the Carly Float racks/deck. It sat over the top of the galley doors on the RCN corvettes. So since nothing in the kit fit, I scratch built two using etched polystyrene for the planking, L brackets for the frame and U brackets for the legs, adjusting for the slope of the bulwarks and the boat deck.

Carley Float Rack/Deck: (Upside down view…it was the best shot of the conversion)

A picture of the racks/deck after primer has been added…and the wood patterned polystyrene has a lick of paint.
Look from a slightly different angle:
A further look from abeam…these were the photos that turned out.

A slightly blurry picture of the focsle, but you get the idea of the wood planking. The windlass is still a concept and needs to be built.

A look overall…now with the black bottom and grey primer she looks a little like the RCN corvettes before the Western Approaches colours.

Cheers,

CB

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:53 am 
Gorgeous! There is nothing like large-scale models of small vessels.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:34 am 

Thank you sunfish,

RCN corvettes did not get the 27 foot whaler until much later (the 10 RCN Corvettes built to the British pattern and named for flowers never got whalers), so for this 1942 build I started previously by detailing the two provided in the kit in an earlier post, now I am back at them.

First thing I did was remove the 0.010 by 0.020 strip seated on the ribs and replaced it with a lowered 0.020 by 0.020 strip. Next I used some 0.020 by 0.080 styrene for the thwarts and some 0.010 by 0.060 for the knees.
Here you can see the rudder detail:
The rudder was actually made from bits of the original kits thwarts and stern (instead of cutting some from styrene I have tried to use as much of the kit as possible). The brackets are 0.010 by 0.020 styrene and the tiller bar was made from some styrene tubing.

Perhaps I will do some oars and oarlocks and perhaps a water keg and some provision boxes and these are done. In reality these would have had canvas covers at sea.

Cheers,

CB

Report this post