The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:03 am 

True. I was severely tempted when I saw a second hand HP Gneisenau on E**y though.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:14 pm 

Small updates:

I've been building many small storage boxes and other deck fittings while I work out how to proceed with the forward section of the battlecruiser. The best plans I have show that significant portions of the fighting top resembles that found on the Bayern class, save the veeeery top. I'm planning to use those components of the Combrig kits, cast by a friend, as I do not want to ruin a perfectly buildable battleship. The rest of the bridge works are also from that kit, but aren't used on an early SMS Bayern.

Name wise, I'm leaning either SMS Ludendorff or SMS Tirpitz. The Germans honored his colleague Paul von Hindenburg with a battlecruiser, so it's not without precedent. Tirpitz would make sense, but would feel almost like a cop out of creativity searching for a German military commander who hadn't (up to this time) been honored with a capital ship. Thoughts?

Next: I'll be waiting on cast parts to complete the fighting top. Until then, I'll work on scratching the main mast and prepping the hull for paint. Dan K's selling me some DKM photoetch that will likely really help in certain areas of this build. Example? I loathe the captains I have installed for now. With the PE tops, I can easily scratch better ones.

Opinion(s):

- German capital ships of this era did have linoleum decks held down with brass strips. I have IJN 1/700 stripping, but am not sure if I'm going to place them on the relevant deck, because scale. Thoughts?

- The aft searchlight platform appears to be deleted in later plans where the funnel receives them. I'm debating using this space for hose reels. Thoughts?

As always, criticism welcome. Note: the tripod is a bit high with all the bits of the fighting top assembled. I'll adjust the length of the legs accordingly.

Pictures. Note: All the dinky fiddly supports for the forward superstructure will be added once I decide how I plan to approach painting and assembly. I'm still waffling. Expect a LOT more detail to be added.

Attachment:
Y1.jpg
Y1.jpg [ 59.82 KiB | Viewed 206 times ]

Attachment:
Y2.jpg
Y2.jpg [ 66.79 KiB | Viewed 206 times ]

Attachment:
Y3.jpg
Y3.jpg [ 76.21 KiB | Viewed 206 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:55 am 

Really liking the bridgework so far. Open windows really make it stand out. I look forward to the additional clutter and detail you plan to add in this area.

I think tie-down strips for the linoleum decks will add a nice touch of colour and detail, even if slightly overscale.

As for name, I would be inclined to go with Ludendorff, mostly to avoid the overlap with the KM Tirpitz but also for uniqueness (and because he was the bad guy in Wonder Woman :heh: )

Tired of waiting for a kit? Dare to modify, dare to kitbash! :thumbs_up_1:

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:39 am 

I agree, the bridgework is looking very nice. Great progress.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:37 am 

Given that I'm waiting on parts, I'm leaning toward doing the tie-down strips. Of course, this is assuming I have modeling time between now and when the assorted bits arrive!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:38 pm 

Looks good!

I cannot remember to have seen obvious tie-down strips on German ships. For sure, there are there, but if they are added in 1/700, they would have to be very prominent on photos of real ships.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:06 pm 

Thank you. To be honest, I'm really struggling back and forth. A lot of (newer) German ships have them, but I know it's overscale. Thankfully, I've got too much going on between now and Saturday to do something rash that I might regret! Some PE I bought from Dan K shall be arriving tomorrow! I'm planning to redo the capstans.

Report this post