The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:01 am 

That funnel detail makes a very convincing case for getting the full PE for the kit (as well as some Valium).

Excellent.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:35 pm 

Thanks Martin

Quote:
That funnel detail makes a very convincing case for getting the full PE for the kit (as well as some Valium).

Save some Valium for the mast...

Moving on to the main mast which Pontos just uses a few of the kit parts.

Image[/url]
On the crane, the top two pulleys out to the hook, are a single piece of PE which hard to get started. The crane boom sits on a ball pivot and allows to it to move around like the real one. The pulleys attached to the main mast also pivot, so the is some left to right movement before the PE starts get cranky. Hoping to tweak the lines a little more.

Image[/url]
Mid mast platform kind of floats on top attached to a brass rod.

Image[/url]
The second mast with the yard arms installed. I am hoping to use Model Monkey's Lantern Radar if it fits the Pontos platform. The mast will still get a second section which includes the Type 281 Radar.

Image[/url]
Rear view... I did spray some primer on the tripod portion of the mast and it showed there was still a lot of clean up to do yet.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:39 pm 

Man, that is some nice work.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:07 am 

Howdy Harpy, Dan and all,
Dan K wrote:
Man, that is some nice work.

Indeed. I am keeping all these pics as a reference for my future HMS Nelson, as this is 1st. quality construction.

Nice going from beyond the seas,

Willie.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:28 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
Outstanding work! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Jose :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:00 pm 

Thanks guys, starting to hit the wall a bit, and the encouragement really helps.

Mast painted and installed. Still needs the white stripe around tripod legs.

The main armament changes of the Boston refit were adding 3 more Pom-Pom guns. The two 20mm were removed off the X turret and replaced with a Pom Pom. Two DTCs were removed from the stern and a pom-pom platform was added on their old bases. I forgot to take a picture of the stern main gun director before paint, but it details up nicely with the Pontos parts.

Here is Model Monkey's lantern radar mounted and the Pontos replacement on the left. The Pontos Lantern always seemed big to me just causally looking at pictures. The Model Monkey one fits the Pontos platform fine and has some nice detail.

I reversed the picture so it showed the correct side of the ship. That is why Imperial War Museum is MWI in bottom left corner. You can see the sponson that was removed marked with a dark triangle from the previous refit. This is the only picture I found of the Rodney with the Lantern in 1941 after the Boston refit. I can't decide if it black or a dark grey. The tripod top is definitely black, but not sure about the Starfish or Lantern. Wonder if it might be primer like where the sponson was removed.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:01 pm 

Fairly bad week week on the Rodney front, but not a Waterloo yet.

Image[/url]
Due to a number of issues and a terrible hand painting of the white bands around the tripod, I ripped the mast off the ship. I removed all the crane parts, star fish and dumped it some lacquer thinner which the plastic didn't dig. On the repaint I sprayed Colourcoats flat white first, masked with 4mm tape, then did the flat black. The crane pulleys and lines were applied pre-painted in Tamiya Semi Gloss Black (LP). The other main issue I had was that the mast on top of the tripod didn't sit right. I added some plastic strip and reamed out the hole on the plate the mast attaches to fix it. I also used the Tamiya Black underneath the starfish and on all support beams to make the recesses seems deeper and darker. The poll mast against the white paper towels shows the difference in the blacks just above and below the starfish.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:48 pm 

Greetings all, mast 2.5.

Model Monkey's Type 271 Surface Radar which was added during the 9/41 refit. Painted in Vallejo Black with tinted clear plastic rolled up for the windows.

This is about as far as I am going with the mast till it is mounted on the hull.

I did a light wash of a dark brown trying to get a feel for what might work best. I used oil paint and odorless mineral spirts for the wash. It is not strong enough to harm the enamel once cured. The Flota Nets are Micro Master. Still much to do on this, but will start the bridge structure to get a break from it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:41 pm 

Hello everyone, a little more progression.

The blast shields around the signal light platform were trickier than I thought they might be. I found installing shield first then adding the baffles or supports, pressing them tight between both surfaces, then gluing worked best for me. The Pontos interior piece represents where a sponson was removed from the ship and Trumpeter has molded the little triangular indentation above it.

Trumpeter's quad .50 platforms were used instead of the Pontos resin replacements. The Pontos platforms are round depicting when Vickers were replaced with Pom Pom directors. Both had the Vickers pedestal drilled out for possible aftermarket replacements. Plugged the holes with scrap PE. On the real ship the sides could be lowered giving the gunners a flat planform. Was think of scribing different sections might be worthwhile. A partial deck floor was made from sheet because it looked like you fall into an abyss never to return.

Used the Standard Trumpeter parts for the back structures with the Pontos support legs underneath. I used CC's Corticene paint for the interior floors. Not a stellar paint job either. The airbrush clogged then started spitting. Have been working on the some cosmetic issues I misses too. I was out of Krystal Klear and thought Elmer's Glue would work for the windows. It didn't dry clear and looked very frosty. It was White Distilled Vinegar to the rescue to get it removed. Not a great week, but I'll take it.

Last edited by Harpy on Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:50 pm 

Nice work. So tempted to buy this kit, but they'll end up just burying me in the box.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:55 pm 

that's a lovely looking model that you're building Harpy, excellent work. Can I ask if the wooden deck has had a wash and if so what did you use? It looks very nice wondered if it's as from the deck kit or you've washed it?

regards

Pete

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:21 pm 

Quote:
Nice work. So tempted to buy this kit, but they'll end up just burying me in the box.

Thanks Martin. I am measuring the box now to see if I can be crammed in it.

Quote:
that's a lovely looking model that you're building Harpy, excellent work. Can I ask if the wooden deck has had a wash and if so what did you use? It looks very nice wondered if it's as from the deck kit or you've washed it?

Many thanks Greenglade. The deck is color is Life Color Liquid Pigment LPW 19 Wooden Deck Shadower from their Hulls and Wooden Deck set. It was applied very light with the grain. My fluorescents are pretty warm and really brings out the yellow hue to the photosensor.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:43 pm 

Thanks Harpy. . I have ordered some...going by your description am I right in thinking you applied it with a brush?

Many thanks

Pete

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:20 am 

Quote:
going by your description am I right in thinking you applied it with a brush?

Yes, by brush. Just start very lightly streaking the direction of the planks. I tried to have a little variation between shades. You can always go darker, but you can’t really go lighter again. There is a pigment remover in the the set, but once on the wood it doesn’t come off. The pigment is nice to work with, very controllable.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:20 am 

Thanks...I await the kit with antification, this product is new to me although washing/staining techniques are not.
In the meantime I have a 3 year layer of dust to try to remove, wish me luck....:)

Pete

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:59 pm 

Took a bit of a break. Test fitting the bridge decks with the Pontos PE installed. Middle section is ready for paint and windows.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:34 pm 

Working up the bridge structure.

These replace the kits binoculars, but get stuffed inside the bridge so they really won't be seen.

The painted bridge deck with binocs and windows made from Kristal Klear. I think the directional antenna, blast shields, and the front Pontos mod were all done during the Sept 41 refit.

Another test with bridge arms installed.

Image[/url]
Under side of the arms shows the supports. It should be installed about .5mm forward than I did mainly for the over hanging support to line up better with the windows.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:00 pm 

Hello all.

The AA Platform is the last of the major structures if you don't count the turrets. The kit's platform and PE are used instead if the Pontos replacement because the enlarged AA platform wasn't installed until 2/42. In this configuration the Pontos fore mast will have to be lengthened about a 1/2" or so.

Test fitted to ship. Still waiting for a couple of interior parts, so nothing is glued yet.

One of two of Rodney's picket boats from Micro Master with a QF 3-pounder Hotchkiss added. Still some supports that have to be removed.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:36 pm 

Hello all.

The 8x5' Carley Floats. On the right are the painted floats which don't look too inspiring. Once painted I polished the surface with a Q-Tip soaked in rubbing alcohol to gloss up the surface and rub off the paint on the raised detail. A single black wash was applied.

Floats touched up a little. My vision was for nice hemp ropes, but I could not pull it off without it looking sloppy. Have held off putting on the ship to see if I receive any feedback.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:56 pm 

Hello Everyone.

Caught my fourth wind.

Some of the life rafts mounted.

Micro Mater Search lights installed. They really didn't fit in this loclaction. I had to use blocks to extend them up to clear the wall. Once that was done the upper deck bumped into the top of the lights and would not sit right. You can't see them that well and I do don't think they were worth the effort.

First of the Bridge Directors. On top is the Micro Master HACS III (?) and stuffed into the tubs below are the Micro Mater Pom Pom directors with the radar antennas removed. These were removed and replaced with 20mms in '42.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next