The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Elsie and the MMM's
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:49 am 

Fliger747 wrote:
Hank:
Amazingly I didn't see it first time (Cloaking device turned on?) that you have the hull numbers done! Nice work!
Tom

:heh: Yes, yes!!!! The Camo on my hull (unlike the U.S. Navy camo uniforms...I CAN SEE YOU!!!! which DON'T...and are totally ridiculous!!!) seems to have hidden the numbers. But, I'm glad that you were able to overcome the cloaking device and see them. :big_grin:

This morning I printed another 16 Mk. 36 rocket launchers of which 15 came out fine (94%). De-tanked the vat as I'm idle on printing items at the moment. Will try to get the 5" gun mount assembled/painted this weekend. Had to do some putty work along the seams of the slide cover attachment.

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:47 pm 

I really like it, it's original. :thumbs_up_1:

•Battleship Bretagne 3D: https://vu.fr/FvCY
•SS Delphine 3D: https://vu.fr/NeuO
•SS Nomadic 3D: https://vu.fr/tAyL
•USS Nokomis 3D: https://vu.fr/kntC
•USS Pamanset 3D: https://vu.fr/jXGQ

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:37 pm 

Iceman 29 wrote:
I really like it, it's original. :thumbs_up_1:

Pascal,
I will assume your are commenting on the camo paint job on the LSM/R - if so, THANKS!!! Much appreciated. :thumbs_up_1:

It isn't exactly as the photos show, but then this is a 1st for me, so I took some liberties..... :whistle:

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:24 pm 

Tonight I did manage to get one Mk. 36 rocket launcher assembled and painted. So, this is a trial run - the grating over the exhaust vent is a beit misshapen - one of the problems with 3D printing - sometimes you get 10 that are correct and one or two that aren't quite right. Case here - I just took the first one in line off the support raft and it happened to be this one. May not make final cut, but it shows what these items look like. The item is sitting on the deck, not positioned in any fashion:
Attachment:
Mk. 36 Launcher_2.jpeg
Mk. 36 Launcher_2.jpeg [ 150.43 KiB | Viewed 884 times ]

I'm also not positive about the launcher paint color - I may pick another similar shade; this isn't the final color choice yet.

Also did a bit more work on the 5" mount, but had to reputty some spots so nothing to show at this point.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:20 am 

Hi there Hank and all friend modelers,
BB62vet wrote:
(...) The grating over the exhaust vent is a bit misshapen - one of the problems with 3D printing - sometimes you get 10 that are correct and one or two that aren't quite right. Case here - I just took the first one in line off the support raft and it happened to be this one. May not make final cut, but it shows what these items look like.

Problems or no problems, the level of quality you are achieving with these black machines is utterly surprising. The slightly bent grating can of course be replaced, but it adds realism if you are building an in action unit.
BB62vet wrote:
Also did a bit more work on the 5" mount, but had to reputty some spots so nothing to show at this point.

Really more than eager to see the final product.

Nice going and best regards from across the Atlantic,

Willie.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:59 am 

I expect that the capabilities will continue to improve from such "black machines". There are now available for pre order 8K machines. What needs improvement fr the SLA machines is the resin, and I expect that this will come along, or a new technology will arrive. Even on my current "2K" machine pretty small items can be printed, but the cured resin lacks sufficient strength to survive either printing to in service application. Small diameter items as railing can still be problematical. Th technology has come a long ways even in a few years. Still a bit of an art form to get good results, reminds me little of the early days computers when one had to start with partitioning the disc drive (if it had one) with a low level format and install the operating system, set dip switches for peripherals and on and on. That will all improve.

Certainly it's not traditional scratch building in many ways. New techniques and materials do arrive, each with benefits and limitations. Even Song, on his magnificent Nimitz under construction, has begun using styrene, a departure from his traditional all wood construction. A big advantage of the 3D methods is replication of small detailed items that are required in quantity. An example is the construction of the huge amount of medium and light AA on Alaska in 1:192. Perhaps one could construct a satisfactory mount in this scale, but in the quantity required? Song did this for his 1:200 Battleships, certainly a tour de force of patience most of us not capable of.

The micro surgeons amongst us capable of traditional construction at small scales will always have our great respect,

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:56 am 

Thanks, Willie! The "black boxes" as Tom mentioned are a work in progress - tech. doesn't slow down in the march to continual improvement (and sales!!! - the obvious driving force). I think Tom has hit on where we would like to see things improve - the resin currently available is limited and more universal and robust fomulas would be nice to have available.

Lately I've been working on deck gear - Tom & I share our parts designs where we can and I've modified one of his gasoline barrel/rack assemblies to fit my needs:
Attachment:
Gas Barrel Stg. Tank-Rack & Controls.JPG
Gas Barrel Stg. Tank-Rack & Controls.JPG [ 32.87 KiB | Viewed 798 times ]

In this case adding the extended control arm and lever as was applied in the LSM/R version. Here it is located on the stern of the model:
Attachment:
Stern Deck and Equipment.jpeg
Stern Deck and Equipment.jpeg [ 138.01 KiB | Viewed 798 times ]

(located on the port side of the stern deck area) I'm not sure this will be the final paint scheme for this part. I've also designed and printed the two pyro storage lockers on the starboard side, but have now turned my attention to getting the 85 Mk. 36 rocket launchers assembled, put into sets, painted and located. Slowly but surely things are coming together :yeah:

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:58 pm 

Haven't posted progress lately as I had run out of resin a couple weeks ago and while I was waiting for the "Hidem don't Sellum" supply chain to catch up with me, I did a bit of 3D parts design work on a few parts for the LSM/R and also some T2 or T3 Tanker development work leading possibly to a 1/144 scale oil tanker project.

Here is tonight's progress on adding the deck equipment on LSM/R-194 -
Attachment:
Progress 10-18-21.jpeg
Progress 10-18-21.jpeg [ 233.59 KiB | Viewed 734 times ]

I've added the anchor windlass & chain, all anchors, a couple items up forward, as well the gasoline drum & control. I've also printed a round of new 12" closed chocks (just below the ship's hull) which will be installed and then painted to match the camo where a chock is located. All the while removing and cleaning up the Mk. 36 rocket launchers (85 of them :doh_1: ) and getting them ready to paint. That's taking time as it's not a real fun task. :dead:

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:05 pm 

Well, I HAVE been working off/on on "ole 194" and here's tonight's photo -
Attachment:
Progress 10-26-21.jpeg
Progress 10-26-21.jpeg [ 182.18 KiB | Viewed 684 times ]

With the lifeline stanchions in place I can now try to rig the lifelines (using E-Z Line) - they will require 2 lines for the main deck. The framework for the raised single 40mm gun tub is sitting about where it will reside, but has not yet been welded into place...soon!!!

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:05 am 

Hank:

Brass stanchions are a nice luxury! I can 3D print stanchions and use stretched sprue which looks quite good, but I could not use the EZ Line as they won't take the stretching forces, I don't think the mast (printed) would allow this either. Having kit parts is sometimes an advantage!

Looking forward to seeing the launchers in place!

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:23 pm 

Nice job Hank! :thumbs_up_1: :cool_2:

•Battleship Bretagne 3D: https://vu.fr/FvCY
•SS Delphine 3D: https://vu.fr/NeuO
•SS Nomadic 3D: https://vu.fr/tAyL
•USS Nokomis 3D: https://vu.fr/kntC
•USS Pamanset 3D: https://vu.fr/jXGQ

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:39 am 

Looking good Hank! Mine is currently sitting on a pile of books and I need to get to it. Mostly detailing the Tank Deck tie downs, perhaps some retro work on the bow anchor wildcat etc , replacing the mast, and of course affixing the military vehicles to the tank deck.

Cheers: Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:13 pm 

Attachment:
LSM Mast.jpg
LSM Mast.jpg [ 270.12 KiB | Viewed 567 times ]
Have been distracted for a bit with other projects! The 3D printed mast unfortunately bent a little under light forces of rigging so I just attempted to reduce a new mast, hollowed for insertion of reinforcing wires. This worked well for the ARL Main mast. For small diameter tubes such as yard arms and gaffs keeping the tubes open can be problematic. Sometimes I can blow them out but this time they didn't remain clear so I am going back to reprint modified arms. If not I can make the wire arms work. Here is the new mast unit with the bare wire arms.

Postscript: The replacement arms are affixed and worked well, the gaff printed with a jog so is being reprinted. A trick that worked well was to run a fine wire through the hollow while they are rinsing to ensure a clean bore.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:30 pm 

So far happy with the new mast! It's affixed in place and halyards (sprue) attached but just hanging and not in the flag bag as yet. Letting everything to set overnight.

Cheers! Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:04 am 

Attachment:
LSM Hagushi Beach.jpg
LSM Hagushi Beach.jpg [ 226.24 KiB | Viewed 530 times ]

LSM beached on the "White Sands" of Hagushi Beach, near Naha. Sporting the new mast!.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:11 am 

Tom,

The LSM is looking good! I'm impressed with the overall effect and minute details - all blends well together. I hope to spend the next week working on my LSM/R as you've really moved way ahead of me on your construction.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:41 pm 

What amazed me is that the aluminum hull, built 60 years ago, was right! Lucky beats good, any day!

Cheers: T

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:15 pm 

Bright shiny object distract us, so Elsie has been on the shelf for a bit. I placed a deck load of vehicles on board and added figures for crew. All 3D printed.

Attachment:
LSM W Vehicles.jpg
LSM W Vehicles.jpg [ 136.26 KiB | Viewed 423 times ]

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:37 pm 

Attachment:
LSM above 2.jpg
LSM above 2.jpg [ 148 KiB | Viewed 354 times ]
Attachment:
LSM above 1.jpg
LSM above 1.jpg [ 148.83 KiB | Viewed 354 times ]
It's getting closer to where I can't find anything to add? I think I am allergic to actually finishing a ship.

Hull is aluminum, rescued from my parents attic when they moved, made maybe 1964? Totally gutted and mostly rebuilt over a plexiglass tank deck with 3D parts. All weapons and vehicles self 3D designed and printed. Figures are reduced fro printing from a PT boat crew offered as .STL files in 1:35.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:47 pm 

Attachment:
LSM window.jpg
LSM window.jpg [ 386.18 KiB | Viewed 275 times ]

Elsie the Emmm sitting on the window sill, crewed and combat loaded for coming ashore Hagushi Beach, Okinawa, 1945

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7