The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 637 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:45 pm 

Administrative paperwork was, is, and always will be a PITA for those having to do it!!

Got a bit of hull work done tonight - installed the corrosion coupons underneath adjacent to the screw shaft supports. These differ from Willie's JORGE JUAN in that there are only 3 rows per side and all in one line (per my photos of the ship in drydock in 1967):
Attachment:
Resized_20220621_195924.jpeg
Resized_20220621_195924.jpeg [ 151.75 KiB | Viewed 695 times ]

Once they've been given a touch-up of lt. gray paint and the bottom of the hull oversprayed with clear flat lacquer, the small amt. of glue seepage along the edges will disappear. I'm expecting an order of gloss clear spray lacquer and then I'll be able to prepare the hull for decals. Once that's done I can then call the bottom complete and move on to getting the display board completed as far as the keel blocks are concerned.

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:24 am 

Hi there Hank and all,

Excellent update. Once painted, a hull looks completely different. I have compared your paintwork with the picture of USS Stoddard in dry dock, and your choice of color matches the pic perfectly. It is a way darker color than the one I will be using in my own hull, that is much more red than brown, but the satin finish you have achieved is the tone I have always seen in ships in (or freshly out of) dry dock.

Very best regards from the North Atlantic,

Willie.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:41 am 

Willie wrote:
Hi there Hank and all,
Excellent update. Once painted, a hull looks completely different. I have compared your paintwork with the picture of USS Stoddard in dry dock, and your choice of color matches the pic perfectly. It is a way darker color than the one I will be using in my own hull, that is much more red than brown, but the satin finish you have achieved is the tone I have always seen in ships in (or freshly out of) dry dock. Very best regards from the North Atlantic, Willie.

Willie,
Thanks, I appreciate your comments!! Actually, the color in the photo is quite a bit darker than the ship was painted after they finished the shaft work - but it was a quick overnight spray paint over just about everything on the hull (barnacles, dirt, sand, etc.) - that red was almost "bright" red and simply didn't look correct to me. Usually, the yard sandblasts the hull over a 1–3-day period (depending on size of ship) and then primes and sprays the final red paint as a last step. This was not done at the drydock period in which I referenced. It was also not done when we sustained battle damage in March 1967 and had an emergency yard visit in Sasebo, JN where my last photo of the depth charge rack was taken. That was also a quick & dirty paint job. It doesn't take long for a ship's hull to show the effects of sea water, salt air, and all the other climatic elements to ruin a new paint job!! Harbors are notorious for being nasty, dirty places where anything and everything floats around and can get caked on the ship's sides/bottom.

With new gloss clear lacquer spray in hand, I should be able to get some decal prep done on the hull.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:49 am 

Today I've cranked up the printer once again to produce some odds/ends of small items that I had overlooked or had previously printed in a different resin and wanted to get a higher degree of detail using the Rapid Black resin. Last night I did get the hull spot sprayed with clear gloss lacquer in prep for adding the various decals. Last night I designed the foc'sle tow pads and a windless handwheel which I had somehow overlooked -
Attachment:
144 scaled DD566 Foc'sle Tow Pad wRing & Link.JPG
144 scaled DD566 Foc'sle Tow Pad wRing & Link.JPG [ 48.37 KiB | Viewed 534 times ]

Attachment:
144 scaled DD566 Windless Control Handwheel.JPG
144 scaled DD566 Windless Control Handwheel.JPG [ 32.34 KiB | Viewed 534 times ]

In addition, I redid the stern escape scuttle somewhat and have that printing, as well -
Attachment:
144 scaled DD566 Stern Excape Hatch wOpen Scuttle.JPG
144 scaled DD566 Stern Excape Hatch wOpen Scuttle.JPG [ 40.86 KiB | Viewed 534 times ]

With the DownEastCon model show coming up at the end of the week, my attention needs to focus on preparing NEW JERSEY for ship's movement, always an exciting and somewhat involved evolution..... :doh_1:

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:08 pm 

Hank:

Take a Harbour Pilot on board and throw lots of fenders over the side! Bear a keen lookout for those parking lot rocks and shoals! I am sure to the practiced professional eye your New Jersey will meet with great approval!. Stoddard is by contrast a more convenient sized model, though volume wise quite a bit bigger than my Caine, as it should be.

Cheers: Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:24 pm 

Someday the printing will be good enough for the hatch hinge and wheel to work!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:08 pm 

Yes, the technology never ceases to advance - quite possible that these parts (in 1/144) will perhaps "work" some day!

While researching a couple other items I discovered in a foc'sle photo I had taken, I came across DD-687 that showed the windless control handwheel completely and I've redone that part and have a new print file ready for the morning. Also, reprinted a smaller deck escape scuttle as the ones I printed were a bit too large. So, this in addition to the discovery in the photo of a central steel plate (I call it a tow wire chaffing plate) that extends up from the base of the capstan to the deck edge at the prow - I will fashion this piece out of 1/64" thk. styrene sheet plastic and it will be sprayed "dirty steel" as it wasn't painted and there was rust or discoloration obvious in the photo. This chaffing plate is NOT common to the FLETCHERs as a class and I've only found it on one other ship - DD-687, although it may have been present on some other ships that I haven't verified.

Here's my new handwheel control -
Attachment:
144 scaled DD566 Windless Control Handwheel.JPG
144 scaled DD566 Windless Control Handwheel.JPG [ 15.74 KiB | Viewed 780 times ]

I've printed probably a dozen of these in various sizes prior to this version - no problem as it's all a learning experience.... :doh_1:

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:54 pm 

Nice part Hank!

Isn't it amazing that at this point you are still finding changes to make? Something that has always surprised me a great deal. The most accurate ship model will be the one that is never finished.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:07 pm 

Tom,

Thanks - I appreciate that!!! I actually got one of those (I printed 4, 2 came out complete) painted tonight before closing up the shop. I did get a couple other tow pads located and then discovered a missing sprue so I designed my own anchor capstan to fit in the base plate molded into the kit deck -
Attachment:
144 scaled DD566 Anchor Capstan.JPG
144 scaled DD566 Anchor Capstan.JPG [ 27.96 KiB | Viewed 727 times ]

I'll print a few of these and the revised small deck vents (which didn't print completely the last go round) probably Sunday after I return from the model show down east.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:58 pm 

Hank:

Good luck at the model show, NJ should be hit!

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:42 pm 

Tom,

Thanks - she was...received the People's Choice Award (will update the posting about the show in the Main Forum soon)!!

The last few evenings I've been working on designing the after stack yardarms - without any dimensioned drawings in plan view to go by, it's a total guesstimate as to how long these arms actually are. So, I "emailed a friend" :cool_2: to see what his take on this situation could be. In the meantime, I've done a fairly complete composite of the fwd. yardarm with its associated RADOMEs and other components -
Attachment:
144 scaled DD566 After Stack Fwd Yardarm & Components.JPG
144 scaled DD566 After Stack Fwd Yardarm & Components.JPG [ 30.52 KiB | Viewed 654 times ]

I'll probably use some leftover PE from another kit for the diamond plate that is the deck plating on those various platform frames as I seriously doubt that printing those at 1/144 scale will give anything more than a blob. For the picture, I turned off those plates which I have drawn up. I've gotten a bit further with the design, but this pic gives a good idea as to what's involved. The small instruments/electronics components are already printed and will only need to be added once this yardarm affair has been printed (much like I did the tripod main mast).

I've also been slowly working on adding various deck components to the foc'sle and hope to get started on the hull decals soon as I've already prepped the hull sides/stern with gloss clear lacquer.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:29 am 

Hank:

That's a fairly involved unit, I hope that you are able to get sufficient strength in the spindly supports. It might help to hollow the domes to keep the weight down. Using your Rapid Black resin, possibly you could thicken the support a fair bit as they will probably shrink down considerably. A typical on the edge construction that will take some experimentation.

Glad that NJ got a well deserved award, you certainly went to the mat, especially with regards to the needed hull modifications!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:49 am 

Fliger747 wrote:
Hank:
That's a fairly involved unit, I hope that you are able to get sufficient strength in the spindly supports. It might help to hollow the domes to keep the weight down. Using your Rapid Black resin, possibly you could thicken the support a fair bit as they will probably shrink down considerably. A typical on the edge construction that will take some experimentation.

Thanks Tom and yes! it is fairly complicated. I got the information I needed from another modeler (our own Willie in Spain!!) and now have the yardarm lengths corrected - I do trust his ability to eyeball & determine relatively good info when it comes to modeling - also, he's been aboard THE SULLIVANS so he knows what these components look like, etc.

Before creating a print file, I will check the RADOMEs and see how I constructed them. I may need to copy and revise & replace as needed.

Yes, all experimentation at this point!

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:50 am 

Hi there Hank and all,

BB62vet wrote:
I got the information I needed from another modeler (our own Willie in Spain!!) and now have the yardarm lengths corrected - I do trust his ability to eyeball & determine relatively good info when it comes to modeling - also, he's been aboard THE SULLIVANS so he knows what these components look like, etc.

My pleasure if I have been of some help. As long as we have good plans or good pictures, the process is fairly easy. I simply measure the element in relationship to the overall length of the ship if it is a big thing (masts, for example, or big structures) or to some other structure, increasing the size of the picture in my screen, if it is a smaller thing. Then, using calculator, I find the measures for my 1/144 scale, or any other scale, of course. I repeat the process twice or three times using different pictures, to double check, and that's it. Very easy, as I say.

Nice going in NC, and very best regards from this side,

Willie.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:21 am 

Wilie,

Once again, thanks for your assistance!! I am currently printing the 2nd edition of my Aft Stack Fwd. Yardarm & components - the 1st edition printed but with some very fragile elements so I took that as a need to beef up some areas and also added the NT 66132 antennas on either end -
Attachment:
144 scaled DD566 After Stack Fwd Yardarm & Components.JPG
144 scaled DD566 After Stack Fwd Yardarm & Components.JPG [ 40.71 KiB | Viewed 592 times ]

I've also printed the TED mast which mounts on the front of the after stack on centerline -
Attachment:
144 scaled DD566 TED Mast & Instr. Arm.JPG
144 scaled DD566 TED Mast & Instr. Arm.JPG [ 9.4 KiB | Viewed 592 times ]

This printed out well the first time including the elec. cable that I've shown - I was surprised at that!!

So, things are moving along in a straight, albeit slow, line forward!

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:24 am 

Hank:

Good progress on some of these "Dinky Dau Dinky" items. I'm glad Willie was able to assist in some dimensional matters, sometimes a matter of some speculation. Decades ago I did a lot of air photo interpretation. Photos are corrected for various distortions caused by differences in altitude, slant etc, using control points for map making. Photogrammetry... Even a small non normal (right angles) alignment causes considerable scale distortion. We Hobbits use "Frodoshop" to more or less attempt a correction. Some items that may have considerable chance of a constant dimension such as height go lifelines or deck house height can be used to allow an accurate correction. In some cases a lengthwise correction may be necessary as well.

Pretty basic math (4+4 still = 5) and we do the best we can do. Glad to see you and Willie making progress and ferreting out the individual differences on these ships.

Best regards: Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:24 am 

Thanks, Tom!! Yes, these small items are what make the model "sparkle", so to speak. I've just finished with the 2nd edition of the TED mast & antennas -
Attachment:
144 scaled DD566 After Stack TED Antenna Mast.JPG
144 scaled DD566 After Stack TED Antenna Mast.JPG [ 18.22 KiB | Viewed 579 times ]

Maybe get this printed later in the afternoon as the printer is busy right now with the 2nd edition of the yardarm affair & RADOMEs, etc.

I did print most of these items prior but have made a few minor adjustments before reprinting now in R.B. resin.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:11 pm 

Hank:

I suppose after it's constructed you could give a TED Talk on the subject? It is amazing how fine details such as this antenna CAN print, though it's often a development progress.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:24 pm 

Fliger747 wrote:
Hank:
I suppose after it's constructed you could give a TED Talk on the subject? It is amazing how fine details such as this antenna CAN print, though it's often a development progress.

Yes, a TED talk............ yeah:

As for the after stack yardarm, etc. - I've printed 6 editions, and none have come out completely correct, so I've copied the platform framework to a separate file and will print it as a separate part (hopefully!) - and use #4 of the printed yardarms for the rest of the assembly as that particular item has all the components except for the platform framework.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:54 pm 

Hank:

You might be disqualified from a TED Talk when NPR discovers your history as a passer of destructive weapons to be fired at an innocent coastline? We won't tell anyone!

Keep up the good work! Tom

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 637 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 32  Next