The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:53 pm 

Back at the IPMS USA National convention in Omaha (seems like years ago already!), I was given one of Tom's Modelworks new 3D printed USS Nautilus kits to review. You can find that review here.

Shortly after the nationals, I had rotator cuff surgery, which resulted in my being in a sling for six weeks. I'm now out of the sling and rehabing. I wanted to do a smaller project to get back into the swing of things, so I decided on the Nautilus.

First, I removed the upper and lower hulls from the print rafts. I had to be careful around the prop guards and the aft dive planes and shafts.
Attachment:
IMG_4520.JPG
IMG_4520.JPG [ 325.58 KiB | Viewed 1824 times ]

One all the print supports were removed and cleaned up, it was time for my least favorite part of the hobby - sanding:
Attachment:
IMG_4522.JPG
IMG_4522.JPG [ 300.88 KiB | Viewed 1824 times ]

I cleaned up the hulls after sanding, and didn't have a chance to get back to them right away. When I did, I noticed both halves had warped, especially the upper hull:
Attachment:
IMG_E4526.JPG
IMG_E4526.JPG [ 239.51 KiB | Viewed 1824 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_E4527.JPG
IMG_E4527.JPG [ 156.8 KiB | Viewed 1824 times ]

At first I thought, "ok, I'll just build it waterline" and I could secure it to a base. I even got as far as (roughly) test fitting the sail onto the hull:
Attachment:
IMG_E4528.JPG
IMG_E4528.JPG [ 142.37 KiB | Viewed 1824 times ]

I decided to reach out to Rich Harden at Tom's Modelworks. He responded to my e-mail right away and offered to send along a new hull, which he did. Great customer service!

The new hull was tweaked a little, per Rich, and I was very pleased with it. Not only was it easier to remove from the print raft, I thought the detail was a little sharper than the original version. After sanding the burrs from the print raft off (I decided I'd build her waterline, after all), I attached the sail and the dive planes. The dive planes are made for the full hull version. After they dried, I cut them flush with the bottom of the hull, using a nipper.
Attachment:
IMG_E4589.JPG
IMG_E4589.JPG [ 210.13 KiB | Viewed 1824 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_E4590.JPG
IMG_E4590.JPG [ 276.02 KiB | Viewed 1824 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:00 pm 

Once the sail and forward dive planes were dry (and trimmed to fit the upper hull), I laid down some paint. According to the instructions, Nautilus was painted Measure 10, Ocean Gray. From Wikipedia (too lazy to source anything else tonight: "Measure 10: For submarines operating beyond the range of enemy aircraft. Submarine Measure 10 was Ocean Gray (5-0) on entire submarine above the water line, over all parts which were visible from the air including the numbers, capstan, running light boards and bridge rails. The radio insulators were to be dark and there was no boot-topping. Dull anti-fouling black paint was to be applied below the waterline."

First coat is on, second coat hopefully tonight or tomorrow:
Attachment:
IMG_E4592.JPG
IMG_E4592.JPG [ 196.58 KiB | Viewed 1823 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_E4593.JPG
IMG_E4593.JPG [ 263.8 KiB | Viewed 1823 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_E4595.JPG
IMG_E4595.JPG [ 178.83 KiB | Viewed 1823 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_E4596.JPG
IMG_E4596.JPG [ 169.98 KiB | Viewed 1823 times ]

Overall, a nice little kit. Detail is nice. The 6in deck guns are particularly nice, as is the propeller guards. And minor ding is that, with an optivisor on, I can see print lines on the sail.

More to come...

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:13 am 

Martin,
am sorry for the bad warping of both hull halves. Have you tried correcting the warping after some dipping of the pieces in hot water? There could be some degree of correction, am not sure how much but it could suffice for the lower half to match with the newly-arrived upper half. This is just in case you haven't tried already and if you have definitely decided to use only the waterlined upper half for your project.

So good that Rich has provided a new hull. This is what i call an excellent service! :cool_1: The primed upper half looks great. I'll follow this project w great attention.

Cheers,
SG

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:30 pm 

SG1 wrote:
Martin,
am sorry for the bad warping of both hull halves. Have you tried correcting the warping after some dipping of the pieces in hot water?

Once Rich offered a replacement hull, any thought of trying to correct the warp went out the window!

Got a second coat of Ocean Gray on everything.
Attachment:
IMG_4620.JPG
IMG_4620.JPG [ 428.41 KiB | Viewed 1754 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4621.JPG
IMG_4621.JPG [ 189.65 KiB | Viewed 1754 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4622.JPG
IMG_4622.JPG [ 174.17 KiB | Viewed 1754 times ]

After that dried, I attached Nautilus to a base with acrylic gel medium.
Attachment:
IMG_4637.JPG
IMG_4637.JPG [ 238.66 KiB | Viewed 1754 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4638.JPG
IMG_4638.JPG [ 309.56 KiB | Viewed 1754 times ]

Once the gel is nice and dry, I'll start working on adding the photo-etch railings.

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:14 pm 

Looking good!! :thumbs_up_1:
Glad to hear your getting back to the bench

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:07 pm 

I have this same kit and it's coming along nicely. I corrected the warping with warm water. It worked perfectly. After using epoxy to secure the upper hull to the lower hull I masked the seam to minimize spread of filler and used auto body spot filler (no mixing) to fill the seam. It sanded out nicely and I'm looking forward to getting back to it as soon as I get out of my current rabbit hole.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:06 am 

It's been over a month since my last post. In between my job, a work trip to Seattle and PT, I haven't had much time at the workbench. Also, while adding the photo-etch rails around the 20mm guns on the fore and aft parts of the sail, I found they came up short. An e-mail exchange with Rich Harden revealed that, yes, they actually were too short. A small supplemental sheet of PE, with corrected rails, was sent a few weeks later, which precluded me from any further work, until they arrived.

The second set fit better, but the forward rails still came up a little short. Further investigation with Rich showed that the curved forward rail around this platform was specific to Narhwal, not Nautilus. I'll have to remove it and use some of the other rails on the PE set to correct, before moving forward.

Right now, here is where she is at: all the rails are on, as are the 6in guns and the PE braces for the barrel. I realized after the fact that those braces are a little too far back, but I'm going to leave them as is. The rails on the gun deck were a pain to attach. I ended up splicing them into three sections and adding them one at a time.
Attachment:
IMG_5078.JPG
IMG_5078.JPG [ 265.52 KiB | Viewed 1444 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5077.JPG
IMG_5077.JPG [ 388.25 KiB | Viewed 1444 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5076.JPG
IMG_5076.JPG [ 229.84 KiB | Viewed 1444 times ]

Next up - once I fix the rail around the forward 20mm gun - is to give a final coat of Ocean Gray to the model. Once that is dry, I'll start weathering (lightly).

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:17 am 

Well done! Pity for those curved rails to change. Wise idea to leave the braces as they are. "The best is the enemy of the good", they say. Looking forward to the weathering phase.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:03 pm 

Haven't gotten nearly as much time at the bench as I would have liked, between work kicking my butt and a sudden bought of vertigo. Last weekend I got the final coat of ocean gray on her. This weekend I finally managed to feel motivated enough, and well enough, to do some work. Got the 20mm painted and installed on the boat. I've also been looking at as many pictures of Nautilus as I can find - I feel like there is some additional details missing that should be there, and I am considering adding some of those with brass rod and spare PE. Which, of course, will extend this "quick" and "easy" build even further.... :roll:

Here she is after last weekend's paint session:
Attachment:
IMG_E5128.JPG
IMG_E5128.JPG [ 109.64 KiB | Viewed 1264 times ]

And today, after adding the 20mm guns.
Attachment:
IMG_5160.JPG
IMG_5160.JPG [ 259.46 KiB | Viewed 1264 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5161.JPG
IMG_5161.JPG [ 310.4 KiB | Viewed 1264 times ]

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:11 pm 

Added some additional detail. She's now ready for final touch up, then gloss coat.
Attachment:
IMG_E5163.JPG
IMG_E5163.JPG [ 129.89 KiB | Viewed 1206 times ]

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:26 am 

Looks like you are indeed back in the swing of things!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Best wishes

JIM B :wave_1:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:30 pm 

Looking good! :thumbs_up_1:

Matt

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:05 am 

Two+ month's later.... :whistle:

Between my high stress job sucking up all my energy, doing product reviews, the holiday season and "life", time at the bench has been limited. But, in the intervening two months, touch up was done, gloss coat was applied and finally, an oil wash was applied last night.

I'll let that dry for a few days, spray an initial coat of flat, add a little rigging, then give her a final flat coat.
Attachment:
IMG_5762.JPG
IMG_5762.JPG [ 289.96 KiB | Viewed 837 times ]

While I had the oil mix out, I put down a wash on a few other projects (yes, I am a "modeling squirrel", easily distracted by other things)...
Attachment:
IMG_5766.JPG
IMG_5766.JPG [ 270.66 KiB | Viewed 837 times ]

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:53 pm 

Model has been rigged and dull coated.
Attachment:
IMG_5941.JPG
IMG_5941.JPG [ 4.27 MiB | Viewed 717 times ]

Started working on painting the "water". Almost there....
Attachment:
IMG_5945.JPG
IMG_5945.JPG [ 4.14 MiB | Viewed 717 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5943.JPG
IMG_5943.JPG [ 4.37 MiB | Viewed 717 times ]

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:42 pm 

She's looking very sharp, M. Nice to see one of these actually completed.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:33 pm 

Finished painting the "water"...
Attachment:
IMG_E5956.JPG
IMG_E5956.JPG [ 2.22 MiB | Viewed 664 times ]

Gloss coated said water, then removed the protective tape on the base...
Attachment:
IMG_5957a.JPG
IMG_5957a.JPG [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 664 times ]

And that's a wrap! Thanks for looking in.

PS: finished a 1/350 AFV club U-boat at the same time (Nautilus in 700 is just about the same size as the type VII C in 350!)
Attachment:
IMG_5957.JPG
IMG_5957.JPG [ 1.98 MiB | Viewed 664 times ]

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:39 pm 

Martin,

She sure does look good! :thumbs_up_1:

I was wondering about that U-boat, crazy at the size of these boats.

Matt

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:25 am 

Very nice Martin! :thumbs_up_1:

I'm guessing you left some space for a name-plate?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:37 am 

Thanks for the kind words, gents!
marijn van gils wrote:
Very nice Martin! :thumbs_up_1:
I'm guessing you left some space for a name-plate?

Yep! That's what the cut out if for. Those are on order.

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post