The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:38 pm 

WOW!!! is right Nigel!!!

You are really "upping the ante" in your build of this already good 1/200 Trumpeter Bismarck kit!

I know your hull is better than out-of-the-box, but now I'm asking myself if I should expend ALL of my obsessive energy on copying your re-build of the 1/200 Bismarck? I might need some "obsession juice" left over for a 1/200 Yamato, or (hopefully) a forthcoming 1/200 Hood.

Absolutely great work, Nigel!

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:36 pm 

Hello all,

Thanks for your great compliments guys!! I'm honoured!!

Well, it looks like all the reshaping is pretty much done now, with the exception of some filler and fine sanding...

Here's the main centre docking keel area...

Stem to Stern...

Stern to Stem....

I've just noticed, I haven't finished the correct form around the centre screw... oh well, I guess this work will never really be finished...

Thanks for stopping by...

Nigel

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:10 pm 

Really great work. It looks just fantastic. Sadly you've turned me into a waterline person for this model, lol. Just don't have the time for these mods. Should be fun to see what you do once you move above the waterline.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:04 am 

The last two shots really tell the story best in my view. Thanks for posting them. Outstanding work sir!
Now if some enterprising person could do the same as you and make a mold then cast in fiberglass, it would be worth two or more wood decks to the Bissy fans.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:47 am 

I have considered this, as I am very experienced with mould making and fibreglass laminating.

We need to consider three things... Would people want all the holes and vents marked out, would they mind drilling their own portholes, as i could only produce dimples, and would the be happy to pay the rediculous postage charges my Country now charge? I think it would cost about £50 to send this hull to the USA!!

Nigel

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:57 am 

It's just maddening that Trumpeter didn't mold the hull like that in the first place! Great work though Nigel and I can't wait to see more...

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:33 pm 

NigelR32 wrote:
I have considered this, as I am very experienced with mould making and fibreglass laminating.

We need to consider three things... Would people want all the holes and vents marked out, would they mind drilling their own portholes, as i could only produce dimples, and would the be happy to pay the rediculous postage charges my Country now charge? I think it would cost about £50 to send this hull to the USA!!

Depends on the overall cost. And yes drilling would be easy compaired to doing what you have done so far. Besides that your new hull would be good for RC users too....just a thought.....

Sorry computer glitch when posting Mod please cut the last two post.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:26 pm 

Firstly hello Nigel absolutely great work on the lower hull I understand it is very similar to another members work 109 except his is 1/100 scale....... I am contemplating this mod for my Bismarck.... I have the line and body plans for the Tirpitz from AJ Press but am unwilling to use them as there were differences in the hulls, am I correct and I also have AOTS line and drawing plans as well are these the plans you used. If so what percentage did you scale the 1/550 plans up to get them photocopied to 1/200 scale... If you didn't use these plans would you be able to send me a copy of the plans, if it is not to much drama that you used so that I can use them.... again brilliant work

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:32 pm 

pvk308 wrote:
Firstly hello Nigel absolutely great work on the lower hull I understand it is very similar to another members work 109 except his is 1/100 scale....... I am contemplating this mod for my Bismarck.... I have the line and body plans for the Tirpitz from AJ Press but am unwilling to use them as there were differences in the hulls, am I correct and I also have AOTS line and drawing plans as well are these the plans you used. If so what percentage did you scale the 1/550 plans up to get them photocopied to 1/200 scale... If you didn't use these plans would you be able to send me a copy of the plans, if it is not to much drama that you used so that I can use them.... again brilliant work

Hello, I found my original plans on the internet through a search for Bismarck Hull.

I think you'll find that if you put some work up online, people will help you with all the information they have.

Nigel

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:33 pm 

Hi Nigel....thanks for the reply I am unfortunately no where near ready to start on my Bismarck. I have looked at the AJ press ones I have and the give a rough idea on the keel but nothing concrete..... there a lot of plans on the internet which are the best ones

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:27 pm 

Here's an interesting view of the hull's bottom on the Tirpiz:

Here I added some lines to try to figure out the outlying prop shafts outlines (my added lines are unreliable, as the photo is overexposed), but at least the central shaft shape, and the surrounding hull slope, are fairly clear:

Gaston

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:10 am 

@Nigel, would you please mind reuploading the images, especially those concerning the hull mistakes and corrections?

Report this post