The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:12 pm 

Well,I can't believe it's been over a month since my last report. I have been out in the wilderness a lot lately trying to get that food on the table, with little luck. I've seen them but have come up short on getting them. So I will just post all the pics I took today,that is actually all the work I've done today. Some work has been here and there, but the bulk was completed today, Thanks and enjoy.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:20 pm 

That is a fascinating wreck diorama, mate. I'm looking forward to the finished results, as well as with the "early life" Yamato you plan to build. It seems that every build of the ship I've seen was as she was fitted out in 1945. I'm given to understand that at one point Yamato had an additional triple 6" turret on each side of the superstructure but have never seen it in model form.

On the ways:
1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson
1/700 Tamiya USS Yorktown CV-5

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109
1/35 Tamiya "Pibber" Patrol Boat
1/350 Trumpeter USS Yorktown CV-10

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:39 pm 

Thank you much,Goodwood. I have been wanting to start that build as well with all the other sides of her life, but am still needing more material to do so. I know that the items aren't much, but with Christmas ,Thanksgiving, and hunting. Some cheap stuff is going to have to wait. Besides I want it to turn out right, So I don't want to rush to bad.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:05 am 

awesome work!! I really love this ^^) You should also do a ship 1:350 where you have this in its shipyard, busy being built, should also be interesting to see that if you feel up to it :D

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:50 am 

silvershadow; I' actually going to restart work on that part of this build in 1-2 weeks, I had started it, but lost interest when I couldn't get the parts I needed. Now that I have them I'm getting excited about working on it.
I finished with the funk pile under the ship, and finished with all the debris, so then it's onto finishing the sea floor. The powder that I'm using in dyed baby powder. I sprayed the floor with clear flat coat and sprinkled the powder into place,topped off with another layer of clear to seal it into place.I have 3 more colors of powder and still have to add the funk to the hull pieces,but that's what I have so far.Thanks for looking and any and all comments welcome.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:25 am 

What a mess. They'll be trying to put her back together for years!

Can't wait to see how you put together the construction diorama, that's going to be a complex build. Are you going to include things such as gantry cranes and other shipyard bric-a-brac?

On the ways:
1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson
1/700 Tamiya USS Yorktown CV-5

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109
1/35 Tamiya "Pibber" Patrol Boat
1/350 Trumpeter USS Yorktown CV-10

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:41 am 

Goodwood; Yes I'm "planning" on doing 3/4 of the drydock where she was built.Just short of the dry dock sea doors. But it's pretty overwhelming when I look at the pics of this place.I do intend of building all the cranes and superstructure that supported all of them, when I look at the pics I believe there was 8 of them. And all of them involve a tremendous amount of steel. I'm still toying around with how far a long in the build she will be displayed. I'm down to 2 options. 1 Just the keel done , with workers and steel coming in to be placed. 2 The keel and the bottom plating done. Since this part is going to be labeled Yamato's birth. I don't really want to do much more than the keel finished. In the added pic you can see all the steel work that needs to be done, The ship is Akagi, but I do believe this is where Yamato was built.

Attachments:
akagi-1.jpg
akagi-1.jpg [ 82.19 KiB | Viewed 1849 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:25 pm 

Awesome diorama really shows you the destruction Yamato went thru at her final moments. Kevin

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:28 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
It's been coming together nicely man :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Jose :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:21 am 

So, funny story. My wife was peering from behind my shoulder last night when I was browsing the forum. She saw me looking at your Yamato wreck and was absolutely awestruck with how realistic it was.

She thought this was intended for some sort of museum.

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:09 am 

wow; Tell your wife thanks , but I only wish it was good enough for a Museum.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:42 am 

Well I've just about completed Yamato's place of rest, and now it's on to her birth. I must say the the sea floor didn't turn out how I expected it to and I'm not happy at all with the result. I may do something down the road, but I have to put it up for awhile because I've put way to many coats of flat on. So much in so that the coat is actually semi gloss.I do have a few touch up details to do before it's completely done, but her birth will keep me busy for a good peroid of time to think about what I can do to fix it.
I had started the dry dock before and after looking at it again I felt it was to shallow, So I removed another inch of depth and am much happier with how it looks now.
On a side note, am I the only one that thinks Photobucket is slower than a snail?
Anyway thanks for looking, as always any and all comments are welcome, thanks for looking and have a great New Year!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:30 pm 

Well done so far, really awesome. You must make a resin underwater cast so it really look like its underwater. Well done :thumbs_up_1:

1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:23 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
silvershadow wrote:
Well done so far, really awesome. You must make a resin underwater cast so it really look like its underwater. Well done :thumbs_up_1:

That'd be real nice :thumbs_up_1: just like a scratchbuilt of the Akitsushima i saw a few days ago.

Jose :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:04 pm 

Very nice!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:39 am 

I appreciate it Gents, I don't believe that I would be able to afford that much resin. I was actually going to put the 700 destroyers on top of resin, but at 1/2" deep and 20"x32" is a ton of cash, not to mention if I would do that with the wreck at 4 1/2" deep.Now if anyone knows of a cheaper way, I would seriously think about!!!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:12 am 

Honestly?

Is the sea floor 100% color accurate? Probably not, but I love the contrast with the rusted ruin that you've built. I wouldn't change a thing, if it were my build. You've really captured the horror of her grave... blue tint makes it feel ethereal, if that makes any sense.

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:22 am 

Thanks PetrolGator; Honestly I had to look that one up,didn't have a clue on that word. :big_grin: Your right, the sea floor color isn't correct that's what I'm not happy with. I honestly think the blue is just to much out of place, even though when you look at the wreck video the floor looks blueish.But then again everything in that video looks blue!!!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:46 pm 

How about using glass, maybe a thick layer or 2x pieces to darken it up and then you just do a thin resin water layer on top?

1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:17 pm 

Hi !
I'm following this thread from beginning. Fantastic job done here. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

prowannab - How about to build just aquarium made by white glass (that's highest level of clearance glass) and fill it with water. At day might look like monument place. At night with discreet ilumination like ..... Could be interesting.

In my opinion color of deep see ground could be different than blue. Like dark browny grey maybe...

Anyway great built!

Greg

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next