The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:38 pm 

Attachment:
File comment: Coast Guard C-130, I have (4) of these made right now and will be making more in the future.
DSCF2154.JPG
DSCF2154.JPG [ 179.57 KiB | Viewed 1397 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Coast Guard C-130, all hand painted.
DSCF2134.JPG
DSCF2134.JPG [ 126.36 KiB | Viewed 1397 times ]

These are the only two pictures I am able to get to post, guess I got to do some more resizing to get more posted.

Anyway, I have some good news, construction of the new diorama layout (Table 1) is to begin on Feb. 1, 2017, I will be doing a video log of the construction and design work and posting to my YouTube channel, once I get them posted I will be sharing a link for you guys to go watch a video of what is going on.

Right now I have been working on finishing up a batch of 1/700 scale aircraft and I got to admit they are looking pretty nice. I have also primed aircraft for two F/A-18C Hornet Squadrons, and one F-4J Phantom Squadron. I hope to get these done over the next couple of days. Well, I will keep you guys posted on what is going on and I might have a MAJOR announcement coming in the next few weeks.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:
1/700 scale rebuild of diorama project 960 square feet.
(Table 1 underway)Feb.2017
1/350 USS ALASKA CB-1(started Aug. 2017) 70% completed

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:40 pm 

Hello everyone,
Well I have been busy working on more aircraft and another ship for the diorama project, I have also had a few packages come in from friends here on the site, THANK YOU GUYS, you know who you are. I am getting really excited about the very near future, and things that are going to be taking place in the next few weeks.

I am finally starting table 1 of the new layout and I am going to be fully documenting the construction of the table and how the layout is going to take shape. I have also got myself a YouTube channel to show case the diorama project as well. I am really excited about how everything is coming together for this project.

I know I have so many friends and followers here on the forums with this project and I get discouraged at times when posting or trying to post pictures of the progress made as things move along, I hope that as I get this new layout design started and I post pictures, videos and post that everyone who has followed along over the past few years are truly rewarded and inspired with progress that is going to be made and I hope you guys are move to post comments and suggestions on how to make things better, over the past few years I have learned so much and honestly improved on my skills from learning from others here, and I hope that I can help others with the work I do and have set out for myself to do as well.

Now, the BIG NEWS I mentioned a few post back is that: I have a MAJOR modeling products company that is considering sponsoring my diorama project, if they do sponsor this project I will be using their products for most of the work, posting product reviews and "how to" videos for their company. I also have a couple of other companies who are interested in sponsorship as well but nothing is concrete yet, we are still in earlier stages of talks. I will keep you guys poste as things develop.

Well guys I have a few emails to get to regarding the project and some inquires to be made, so I will post some more in a few days, I have also got a new photoshop program and hope to get some new pictures edited for posting, so hang in there and we'll see you all soon.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:04 am 

Construction of diorama table #1 begins Saturday

The first table is to be the first part of Norfolk Naval shipyard, I will be doing pictures and a video log of the construction process which will be posted to my YouTube channel "easternncmodelworks". I will post notices here when a new video is posted on the channel for those interested in seeing how I do what I do. Also, looks like I have a new sponsor for the diorama project, The Airbrush Company from England. I have been searching and inquiring about product sponsorship with several companies and a few have shown interest in the project but then they drop off in communication and don't respond to other emails. Sadly several are American companies, but it is what it is.

Now, I have received several donations of aircraft, and a few ships, and they are from guys here on ModelWarships who have been following my project, you guys are great and it is awesome that you guys have given what you can, I thank you from the bottom of my heart and it is humbling to know that this project inspires you to help with what you can. Ken, Nek, Carl, and the rest of the guys you all know who you are, you guys are AWESOME!!!!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Now that my baby girl is off in Navy Boot camp, I have taken her old room and it will be used for the construction of the diorama, video post and storage of my stash, my build area is in the breakfast nook area of the house for the time being, it is not as big an area I use to have but I have had smaller :heh: :heh: Well, I hope everyone is doing well and excited about the start of the new diorama as much as I am and I look forward to hearing from you guys both here and on my YouTube channel.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:28 pm 

Hi there everyone,
Well the basic framework for table 1 is done and tomorrow I will install the top, once that is completed and totally secured I will start mapping out the layout. I am starting the mapping in 1 foot squares and move forward from there. I have spent the past couple of days setting up shop in my daughters old room, and though its not as big as my old shop in the old house it will do for now.

I have a ton of work to get started and as I move along with work I will be posting as much as I can here as well as my YouTube Channel, I am excited about all the new things taking place and I hope everyone else is getting excited as well. Well guys its getting late and I'm tired so, I will catch you guys later.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:05 am 

Thanks Jim. Do you have a link for your Youtube channel?

My Blog: http://metusajunction.blogspot.com

My photos: https://www.flickr.com/people/52307730@N06/

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:55 pm 

Here is the link to my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqnqwc ... xRW3mI9hvQ

I think I did that right, but if not you can search it under:
EasternNCModelworks, That is the name of the channel. Also, please subscribe to the channel for any and all updates.

I just finished the mapping out of the first diorama table and YES, everything fit as I designed it too, I did make a minor alteration to the layout concerning one of the dry docks, the last dry dock on the table looked good on paper but when I mapped it out it was not what I wanted so, I changed it to a smaller dry dock and added another to the side of it. I am pleased with the way the layout was mapped and it is pretty much a dead on match to what I designed, with the exception to the last minute change I made.

I can't believe how fast the mapping went down, I guess all that planning finally paid off some. I have a ton of work to do still but it is good to finally see something made of wood and the design work in place for TABLE #1. I am going to start this week getting the land area in place and getting the mapping done on that, the first thing that is going to be mapped and installed is the 1/700 scale rail road system, and then the building placements.

I have some pictures to post of the layout I will resize them and add them shortly, see you guys soon.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:12 pm 

Attachment:
DSCF2177 (800x450) (200x113).jpg
DSCF2177 (800x450) (200x113).jpg [ 114.84 KiB | Viewed 1243 times ]

This as you recall is the layout designed for table 1
Attachment:
DSCF2176 (800x450) (200x113).jpg
DSCF2176 (800x450) (200x113).jpg [ 100.39 KiB | Viewed 1243 times ]

Attachment:
DSCF2175 (800x450) (200x113).jpg
DSCF2175 (800x450) (200x113).jpg [ 103.15 KiB | Viewed 1243 times ]

Attachment:
DSCF2174 (800x450) (200x113).jpg
DSCF2174 (800x450) (200x113).jpg [ 103.02 KiB | Viewed 1243 times ]

Attachment:
DSCF2178 (800x450).jpg
DSCF2178 (800x450).jpg [ 192.26 KiB | Viewed 1243 times ]

Attachment:
DSCF2173 (800x450) (770x386).jpg
DSCF2173 (800x450) (770x386).jpg [ 168.72 KiB | Viewed 1243 times ]

Well I hope that your able to make these out, the are dark as the lighting in the room I'm working in is not the brightest.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:39 pm 

I have posted 3 new videos of the building of the diorama and intro to this project if anyone is interested in viewing these at my youtube channel. Things are moving along and I am happy with the progress so far with the table 1 of 30, :yeah: Still lots of work to be done but at least I have started the new diorama.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:25 pm 

I am very proud to announce that this project now has a product sponsor.

AirBrushes.com from England, They are sponsoring me with products from their line of merchandise, I will be doing product review videos for them as well as product testing. I recommend you guys check out their website for products you might need, they have a lot of good things and prices are not bad at all.

Out of all the inquires I sent out they are the only one that jumped on board, but I am truly honored and grateful for their support.
Now I have a question for any of you guys who might know Mark at Starfighter Decals, is he out of business, away on vacation, or anything worse? I've emailed him a few times and I have had no response. I am just wondering because a lot of us here keep in touch with others here and I wanted to discuss some decal designs with him.
If you guys know anything please let me know, or if you know another custom decal producer let me know. Well guys I've got work to do and I must get started so I'll catch ya later!!!!!

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:40 pm 

Guys I am having one of those days............................

I was at the work bench doing some airbrushing on some of those 1/700 scale SH-60's and a few H-3 helos, got the base primer coat done and moved along over to my fine detail airbrush, everything went well as far as getting the dark gull grey down, no real issues, having completed the airbrushing session, I went to clean the airbrush, dismantling it like always to give it a good deep clean.............Then I dropped the damn thing, bent the 0.2mm nozzle into an "L" shape and noticed that the lock nut was missing off the needle housing, inspecting the housing I saw it is bent, threads stripped and in no way is ever going to be able to be used again.
:huh: :huh: :huh:
THANK GOD I have a Airbrush sponsor, I am going to be sending them pictures of the damaged brush and see if it can be rebuilt or if it is going to be a total replacement, I thing its a total replacement.

That will be two airbrushes damaged/broken in a month. But.............I did get the paint work done at least.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:00 pm 

Always go back to old school and use a brush :heh: they bounce and have less issues.

Waiting for more Jim always impressive

Stennis CBG 2002:

Operational:
CG73 USS Port Royal
DDG73 USS Decatur
CG57 USS Lake Champlain
FFG33 USS Jarrett

LHD5 USS Bataan

HMAS Vendetta II D08
IJN Yamato
HMAS Vendetta I I69

Planned
DD967 USS Elliott

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:20 pm 

Hey Dave,

True about them brushes, but I can't get those faded camo patterns on the aircraft. I have been taking pictures of some more aircraft I have recently finished and I am working on another batch so I can do another photo slide video on my YouTube channel. I have been busy getting things going with the new diorama and I hope to have something to post in a week or so, I have a bit of sanding to do on the joints and get everything smooth in preparation for the first primer coat on the land mass so I can start the layout of the base, I have inventoried my photo etch buildings and stuff and I have enough to start but will need to get more in a couple of months. I am going to start with the railroad system and get that laid in then I am going to start building placements and figuring out the lighting. Well the locations anyway.

I keep you posted when I get the next video done.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:54 pm 

Hi there everyone,

Today was a good day of work on the diorama, I got the water area painted with a blue primer coat, then moved on to routing out the openings for the dry docks (Small ones). I still have to do the openings for the large dry docks. I also seated the small dry docks and glued them in place with white glue, I am totally expecting to have some filler work to do around them but it will be fine. I sanded all the seams smooth and they show no signs of being uneven. I am very happy with that.

I am going to be shooting a video later tonight or tomorrow of where things are at the moment, I would like to get more done and I might still go in the building room and do some more work. I have also done more work on all those aircraft, I got (12) CH-53's primed up today and finished up (2) MV-22's. I am trying to get all the aircraft I've built finished up with paint and decals, I have a ton to get finished up there.

I am going to start getting the PE railroad mapped out tomorrow and seeing what I am going to need to get to make it the way I need too. I also have a huge amount of PE work to start as well, buildings, cranes, and other things as well. I am kind of looking forward to all that work as I have not done any in a long time, knowing how to make them better then before is a big plus. Well guys I am going to get off here and get back to work doing something progressive on the diorama. I will let you know when I get the video posted.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:05 am 

Thanks for the update Jim! Beside the video, could you post 1 or 2 pics of your so-far diorama's?

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:58 pm 

Hey guys here is a quick update on some of the Coast Guard helo's I have finished up, I have a few variations of the Coast Guards paint schemes from over the years, I also have several more to finish up still. You guys have been so patient waiting for pictures of what is been going on and now that I have a better photo edit program I feel like I will be able to post more pictures as work progresses with everything.

Hey if any of you guys have the capability of printing decals please contact me via PM I need some custom made decals for my aircraft and helos.
I still have not got any response from Mark at Starfighter, so I reaching out to you guys and looking for help with some.

Attachment:
File comment: Detailed with Flyhawks 1/700 scale USN Modern Military Aircraft set
(FH700170) Guys these are really cool sets to have.

0207172206 (200x113).jpg
0207172206 (200x113).jpg [ 34.17 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]

Attachment:
0207172206a (200x113).jpg
0207172206a (200x113).jpg [ 40.19 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]

Attachment:
0207172206b (200x113).jpg
0207172206b (200x113).jpg [ 44.35 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]

Attachment:
0207172207 (200x113).jpg
0207172207 (200x113).jpg [ 42.18 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]

Attachment:
0207172207a (200x113).jpg
0207172207a (200x113).jpg [ 41.66 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]

Attachment:
0207172210 (200x113).jpg
0207172210 (200x113).jpg [ 46.37 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]

Attachment:
0207172210a (200x113).jpg
0207172210a (200x113).jpg [ 45.07 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]

Attachment:
0207172210b (200x113).jpg
0207172210b (200x113).jpg [ 42.14 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]

Attachment:
0207172211 (200x113).jpg
0207172211 (200x113).jpg [ 45.74 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]

Anyway guys, I hope you like the Coast Guard birds and are glad to finally see more pics of the work. I am going to post more pictures next of the diorama table and how it is starting to take shape.
Stand by guys they are next...........................

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:08 pm 

Ok guys here is the other 1/2 of my post, the diorama table and the progress made so far, it is just the basics and not much detail yet but hey I just got started with it. Hope you like the progress and please post any comments and questions you have.

Attachment:
File comment: This is table 1 design layout
DSCF2177 (800x450) (200x113).jpg
DSCF2177 (800x450) (200x113).jpg [ 114.84 KiB | Viewed 970 times ]

Here is what it is looking like..............
Attachment:
0216171527 (200x113).jpg
0216171527 (200x113).jpg [ 45.2 KiB | Viewed 970 times ]

Attachment:
0216171527a (200x113).jpg
0216171527a (200x113).jpg [ 48.12 KiB | Viewed 970 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: My jigsaw as a weight for the large dry dock till it dries in place
0216171527b (200x113).jpg
0216171527b (200x113).jpg [ 48.42 KiB | Viewed 970 times ]

Attachment:
0216171528 (200x113).jpg
0216171528 (200x113).jpg [ 46.59 KiB | Viewed 970 times ]

Attachment:
0216171528a (200x113).jpg
0216171528a (200x113).jpg [ 49.68 KiB | Viewed 970 times ]

I will have a few videos on my YouTube channel of this work and what is taking place....so, go check those out as well, also if you want to subscribe to my channel you'll be notified of new videos as they are posted. Hope you guys like the work so far, just the basics so far but I am getting something done.....................FINALLY :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo:

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:58 pm 

New videos are now up at my YouTube channel

link> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqnqwc ... xRW3mI9hvQ
EasternNCModelworks
Hope you guys like the videos, also I did a tutorial video on my water painting method. I am new at this video stuff, I am trying to learn better ways to make videos and edit them, I know they are kind of rough but I am trying. Again if you guys have any questions about how I do things with the diorama just let me know. I will do my best to answer them and hopefully help you guys out with something.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:22 am 

Hi Jim, great video's, just watched them. Your method of water-making is the same we (my wife and I) used on a 0N30 modeltrain exhibition layout we build together in 2011/12. Last summer I used the method again with my latest H0 exhibition layout I've build:

Image20161124_152543 by Ronald-45, on Flickr

Its very easy and forgiven. The only thing that matters is that the paint has to be thick, that way the water turns out much better.

Will follow your project, it looks even better on video! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:55 pm 

Ronald47 wrote:
Hi Jim, great video's, just watched them. Your method of water-making is the same we (my wife and I) used on a 0N30 modeltrain exhibition layout we build together in 2011/12. Last summer I used the method again with my latest H0 exhibition layout I've build:

Image20161124_152543 by Ronald-45, on Flickr

Its very easy and forgiven. The only thing that matters is that the paint has to be thick, that way the water turns out much better.

Will follow your project, it looks even better on video! :thumbs_up_1:

Hey Ronald,
Thanks for the comments and for following along with this project, I am getting ready to get more work done and see where I end the day at, I have several mini projects going on all at once and some I need to get finished so I can get to bigger things that need to be done as well. I like the picture of your "water works" and it is pretty cool that your wife helps you with them, my wife is kind of my unofficial camera person, she shoots the videos when I am working on things, so she is doing what she can do there.

Last night I finished the water area on 1/2 the table and I am looking to get the rest done sometime today along with getting the large dry dock back filled and sanded smooth. I was just looking at it to see if it cured properly and it has set up nicely, so it is ready to have more work done to it. Once I get that finished off I will get started on the priming of the land mass area so I can start mapping out the locations for everything.

Again thank you for following along and I also like your work as well, Very Impressive. Check back in with you later.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:53 pm 

Hey everyone, good evening.

Well I am still plugging away at the diorama, I have been getting more of the basic stuff done at the moment, I finished the water area yesterday and started trimming out the land area with some preweathered strips of 1/8" x 3/16" x 24", I spent the biggest part of the day working on the weathering of those and waiting for them to dry so I could install them. They have given that clean transition I was aiming to get, then I went back and backfilled the gaps with wood glue and filler. Then I went ahead and attached some edging strips along the left side of the table and across the back, nearly 2- 1/2 feet long. I am going to take some creative liberties in this area and add some terrain, although I know there are no mountains around the shipyard, I am adding some there just for appearance and give something to look at other then a flat slab of grey.

I have finished working on a few photo etch buildings and they are ready for primer and paint, once I get these done I will be adding some translucent green plastic inside to give the look of glass in the window areas, the other purpose is added strength as well. On Friday I received a shipment from my sponsor "The Airbrush Company" of several Life Color paint sets, and I will be doing product reviews for these in the next few weeks, as well as testing with them also. I will be doing several videos of these and posting them to my YouTube channel, so, if you guys feel like checking those out I will post notices here when the videos are up for review.

Currently I am in the middle of scratch building the last two large dry docks for the diorama and so far I am pleased with the results, one is of course a modified Pitroad dry dock kit and the other will be a bit more scratch built as I am out of dry docks at the moment. Once I get these last two finished up and installed I will be moving forward with the layout work I need to do. I really can't wait to get that phase started so I can start showing some real progress and give you guys something to comment on.

I have been reviewing all my design ideas and things I want to incorporate into this diorama and figuring out the priority of each thing need to be done, I don't want to do like I did before and be all over the place with the building of things and forget some important aspect needed to set off the diorama. Well guys I am getting tired and it is getting late so I will be posting more pictures in a day or two to show the progress of the diorama, so as always you questions and comments are always welcomed and I will get back at it so we have something to show and talk about. Take care.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next