The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Zuiderzee-Botter
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:00 am 

I realise that this forum is mainly concerned with naval ships. However, while my work on SMS WESPE (http://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/maritime/models/wespe/wespeclass.html) has been interrupted for various reasons (relocation to a different country, marriage) I started this project in a sort of nostalgia of my time in the Netherlands. As building techniques etc. are still the same, I thought this project might interest the community here too.

A Botter in the Zuiderzeemuseum (Enkhuizen, The Netherlands)

History and context
Looking at old maps it is amazing to see how land and water intertwined once in the northern part of the Netherlands, Noord Holland and Friesland in particular. It is even more so, when one drives through Noord Holland and reminds oneself that this once was a patchwork of islands and shallow stretches of sea. The Dutch fought - and continue to fight - the sea and at the same time a good part of the populations lived off the sea. The Zuiderzee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuiderzee) once was a vast bay of the North Sea, reaching deep into the country, nearly down to Amsterdam. It served as throughfare for transport and as a rich fishing resource. However, pressure on the scarce land was high and the sea was a constant menace to the low-lying shores and islands. As part of their struggle against the sea, the Dutch dammed up the bay by a large dike, the Afsluitdijk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afsluitdijk), completed in 1933. This put an end to much of the fisheries. The already in its southern part brackish Zuidezee finally turned into a large freshwater lake, the Ijsselmeer.
Over the course of history there have been various types of sailing fishing vessels with numerous local variants. The best-known is probably the Botter (and its larger variant Kwak). At one stage it was estimated that there were over 1000 in operation at the end of the 19th century. The places around the Zuiderzee with the most botters were Enkhuizen, Volendam/Edam, Monickendam, Marken, Bunschoten and Urk. Spakenburg was an important building place.

Man's tools to win a lifelihood constantly change and are being adapted to changing circumstances, new needs and fashions as well. Thus methods of fishing evolved in order to increase efficiency and in response to changes to the fishing grounds and other environmental circumstances that influenced the availability of the resource 'fish'. The history of the botter is not easy to trace as no artefacts have survived and artistic renderings are not so reliable bevore say the late 18th century. As with all small boats, they were built without any drawings well into the 20th century. The botter or its somewhat larger version the Kwak as we know it today developed over the past two hundred years.

Sizes vary, but a typical botter has a keel of about 34 feet long.

Sources
There are quite a number of comprehensive printed works on the botter and its history (see below). These include also drawings. Some original drawings are preserved in various museums in the Netherlands. However, like so many traditional small boats, botters were usually built without any drawings. The museums also preserve various model built from about the early 19th century onward. There are also surviving quite a number of original botters, the oldest being from the last quarter of the 19th century.

These boats survived because they have been adapted as pleasure craft. Obviously a lot of concessions had to be made in this case to accomodate the modern leisure-boaters and therefore these boats are not useful for a reconstruction. In more recent years some of these have been reconverted into a state that is more like their original workday appearance. Also, from the end of the 19th century onward some botters had been built als pleasure craft for private owners. They usually deviate somewhat from the work boats and are often fitted with a cabin, as is found e.g. on boeiers.

The Zuiderzeemuseum (http://www.zuiderzeemuseum.nl/home/?language=en) in Enkhuizen preserves a late botter in its boat-hall. The Zuiderzeemuseum also has a large collection of ship- and boatmodels, including several botters. Some of the models appear to be contemporary, while others have been built in more recent times.

The Model
The model is based on the resin kit produced by Artitec (http://www.artitec.nl) in 1:90 (HO) scale. This company has developed a real mastery in casting complex and large resin parts. In addition to the hull, the kit contains castings for the mast and spars, for rigging blocks and, somewhat strangely perhaps, the taken-down sails. Of course, these kits are mainly meant as accessories for model railway layouts and people not knowing a lot about these craft. The kit also contains a small fret of etched parts, mainly for the ironwork of the rigging. While the etched parts are well made as such, they are for the most part not really useful for representing the forged ironwork. For instance, masthoops are, of course, flat in the horizontal direction, while they should really be short tubes. Other parts simply lack the needed plasticity. Hence most of the etched parts will not be used. Similarly, the cast rigging blocks will be replaced by home-made ones and 'real' sails will be made. I bought the kit 'second hand' and the at some stage the characteristic high stem head was broken off and a new one will have to grafted on. Various other details will be improved for better definition of the shapes. Although the casting is well made, there are certain limitations due to the casting process. A company policy of Artitec is to limit the number of parts and to cast-on as many details as possible. Thus for instance the spill is cast onto the foredeck. There are limitations to undercuts in the silicone rubber molds, hence the barrel is not completely free. I shall have to remove the material underneath the barrel using a scalpel etc.

The main cast resin item, the botter’s hull

Not only are Artitec masters in casting kits, but also in painting them as is evidenced for instance by the diorama of the Texel Roadsted (http://www.dereedevantexel.nl) and models in various other museums around the Netherlands.

To be continued ....

wefalck

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Zuiderzee-Botter
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:08 pm 

Is this a build-up/WIP? If so, I'll move it to the WIP section.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:12 pm 

Can you enlighten me, please, as to what is a WIP ?

wefalck

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:13 pm 

WIP = Work-in-Progress, or build log.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:17 pm 

Yes, of course. Sometimes these TLAs confuse me :whistle:

Yes, it will be a building log. So, if you see it fit, move it to another section.

Thanks,

wefalck

Image Image Image Image

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:51 am 

I have this one in my stash. Looking forward to seeing one build by an expert.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:55 am 

I hope I can fulfill the expectations :whistle:

After some absence due to travelling a short update. Actually, I didn’t do so much with the resin apart from cutting off bits and pieces, but the resin is quite easy to work with, though a bit brittle.

The building begins with removing the casting pips. It appears that the model was cast upside-down, so that excess resin is found only at the bottom of the hull. This excess was cut off with an abrasive disk in the hand-held powerdrill. The bottom was then ground flat onto the waterline on a piece of wet-and-dry sanding paper. It is important to hold the hull securely during the various building steps. To this end two 2.5 mm holes were drilled into the solid part of the hull and tapped for M3 screws with which it can screwed down on a piece of wood for safe handling. The tapped holes will also be used to hold down the model in its final dioramic setting.

The hull casting was then inspected for any flash and this removed with a scalpell and files. Luckily, there was hardly any. As the next step the hull casting was compared with drawings from the literature, mainly BEYLEN (1985) and DORLEIJN (2001), as well as pictures taken of a Marker botter in the Zuiderzeemuseum while I was living in nearby Alkmaar from 2006 to 2009. As is discussed below, the model will represent a botter from Marken. Botters from different regions differed in some details and these should be represented as true as is reasonably possible at this small scale. When going over the casting, a number of 'problems' were noted: a) the spill lacks some definition of detail, although the general shape is well represented; also a pawl bit is modelled, while normally the pawl would be pivoted on the inside band of the bow; b) the horse for the traveller of the main sheet is foreseen as an iron bar (an etched part), while the more common arrangement is a wooden horse integrated into the slightly raised stern-platform; c) the leeboards are meant to be glued onto wedge-shaped protrusions on the main bollards; on the prototype, the leeboards are suspended on a pin that ties into a band that is laid around the bollard; d) the horizontal wooden knees left and right of the stem-head are missing, but the whole stem-head has to be rebuilt anyway. In addition, holes for thole-pins etc. have to be drilled through. There are other little bits and pieces that need to improved, but they will not all be listed here.

to be continued ...

wefalck

Image Image Image Image

Last edited by wefalck on Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:03 am 

If it floats, I'm interested. Keep us posted! :thumbs_up_1:

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:48 pm 

I look forward to seeing more of this! :wave_1:

interesting subject in ( for me!) relatively large scale!

Onwards! :thumbs_up_1:

Jim B

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:05 am 

I think the challenges are more or less the same for any scale - at a larger scale one represents smaller details, so you still work on very small pieces ...

Below the cast hull is compared with drawings from

BEYLEN, J. VAN (1985): De botter - Geschiedenis en bouwbeschrijving van een Nederlands visserschip.- 223 p., Weesp (De Boer Maritiem).

The front part of the hull as cast with some damages (I bought the kit secondhand)

Drawing on p. 58 in BEYLEN (1985)

In between, the hull-moulding was freed from cast-on belaying and other pins as well as the moulded-on collar for the leeboards. All parts were replaced in metal for better definition. The respective holes for belaying and thole pins were opened up properly. The missing stem-head was fashioned from an off-cut piece of polyurethane resin. Bands and rubbing strakes for the forestay haliard were added from styrene sheet and copper wire.

On close inspection it was found also that the stern piece was too narrow to accomodate the pintels for the rudder. It was widened with a piece of resin stuck on. The tiller from the kit didn't look quite like what I had seen in the literature and on real boats. Consequently a new one was rough millled from a piece of Plexiglas and finish-filed to shape. The tiller was completed with the band from styrene that holds it together in the prototype.

The improved stern and rudder

The horse for the traveller was also fashioned from a piece of Plexiglas that had just the right thickness. All seams were filled with putty. From putty were also sculpted the stem knees. The horse received rubbing irons from thin copper wire.

The stern of the moulded hull with mainsheet horse added

Drawing on p. 35 in BEYLEN (1985)

The stern with mainsheet horse added (sorry for the reflections that make it difficult to see)

wefalck

Image Image Image Image

Last edited by wefalck on Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:41 am 

Wonderful!

Cheers, Daniel

See also our german forum for the age of Sail and History:
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:35 am 

Very nice ship and progress so far.
Will keep checking as progress goes!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:38 pm 

Nice little botter!

They have some really lovely stuff...I picture myself making a dio using their models.

I need more time :censored_2:

-1/350 Dragon Scharnhorst, Artwox wooden decks, CyberHobby PE, Master brass barrels.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:46 am 

I am cheating a bit with the progress - what I am posting here in the space of days actually covers many months of often interrupted work.

Back to the subject:
Given the problems with the spill, it was cut completely from the moulded hull in order to be rebuilt as a separate item. Square holes and recessions cannot be easily machined from the solid. Therefore the spill was built up from a number of parts that would allow machining, The 0.5 mm x 0.5 mm holes for the handle bars were cut as slots into a section of 4 mm round brass bar.

The ratchet wheel was cut on the milling machine with a dividing attachment.

All parts had a 1 mm hole drilled through to take up a 1 mm brass rod. Brass was chosen in order to be able to soft-solder all parts together for the subsequent machining operations and to provide an axle.

The cigar-shape of the spill was turned with the Lorch free-hand turning device.

The piece was then transfered back to the dividing attachment (http://www.wefalck.eu/mm/tools/dividingapparatus/dividingapparatus.html) on the mill and the eight sides of the winding drum were milled on.

Here the completed spill:

And installed on the boat:

to be continued ...

wefalck

Image Image Image Image

Last edited by wefalck on Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:15 pm 

skills (and tools) I can only dream of :worship_1:

-1/350 Dragon Scharnhorst, Artwox wooden decks, CyberHobby PE, Master brass barrels.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:41 am 

Well, I had these tool-dreams too for many years and in the late 1980s I finally had the financial means (and the opportunity) to purchase a first watchmakers lathe outfit while living in the UK. From then on it sort of developed into a hobby in itself, the collecting and restoring of such machines. :big_grin:

Back to the botter: the leeboards are cast in resin, but due to the casting process in an open mold, their back is flat and without any sculpting. In reality, they are not just flat boards, but they have a cross-section almost like a propeller blade. In fact they are hollowed out over some part to create some hydrodynamic lift that counteracts the leeway and also pushes the leeboard against the boat. Using files and diamond rotary burrs the appropriate shape was given and also the separation of the individual boards of which the leeboards are composed were marked out.

The worked-over leeboards

There are various belaying clamps distributed around the hull. The kit has photoetched parts for these, but somehow they appear rather flat. In addition some or all of them should have to be of the single-horned variety, rather than the more common double-horned one, as forseen in the kit. Replacements were milled raw from a strip of brass and sliced off on the lathe. They were finished using the hand-held power-drill using small grindstones and polishers.

Milling a profile for the single-horned clamps

The finished clamps installed in the hull

Again, the casting of the hull is nicely done, but Artitec were a bit overenthusiastic in depicting a rather worn state. If there were such big gaps between the planks in the real hull, the boat would have sunk to the bottom of the Zuiderzee like a sieve. To counteract the rather rustic appearance somewhat, fly-tying silk was glued as 'caulking' into the gaps using varnish.

Caulking the hull with fly-tying silk

With hindsight, looking at the hull after the paintjob, rather than using the silk, I better had used some putty ...

wefalck

Image Image Image Image

Last edited by wefalck on Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:10 am 

not with hemp and tar? :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:48 am 

Someday before I retire (twenty or thirty years or so) I'd like to get a decent micro lathe and milling machine.
Your work is not only amazing it's inspirational.
I'm going to keep watch on this one.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:48 pm 

My eyes hurt!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:07 am 

Oops, I didn't want to cause I problems :woo_hoo:

The cast mast was nicely done by Artitec - in principle, but was too short for a boat of this size, did not have the right chocs for a boat from Marken and above all was warped. A new mast was fashioned on the lathe from a piece of steel rod - I did not have suitable stock of boxwood or similar and brass, aluminium or plexiglas would have not been stiff enough. The mast was turned in steps on the watchmakers lathe. This also allowed to turn-on the mast bands. It was then transferred to the dividing attachment (http://www.wefalck.eu/mm/tools/dividing ... ratus.html) on the milling machine to mill on the squares. The various eyebolt and cranes were fashioned from copperwire and soldered or glued on.

The mast in the dividing apparatus, supported by steady

The mast after turning and milling

Various cranes and eyebolts soldered to the mast

As the mast, the boom was turned on the lathe from a 2 mm steel rod. The flexing of the rod was utilised to obtain the taper towards both ends.

Turning the mainsail-boom

Again the bands were turned on and the boom was tranfered to dividing apparatus for drilling the holes for eye bolts etc. The goose neck was turned from steel and the square, where it attaches to the boom, milled on using a very small end-mill.

The gaff on the respective drawing from VAN BEYLEN (1985)

The gaff has a rather odd, pear-shaped cross-section. In addition its longitudinal shape is rather crooked. It was fashioned from a piece of brass wire that was tapered off and bent to the right shape.

Boom and gaff with the 'ironwork' soldered on.

A piece of brass sheet was cut to follow the curve of gaff and hard-soldered to the brass wire. The pear-shape was filled-up with soft solder. Then the claws that were fashioned from brass were soldered on. Finally, the 0.2 mm holes for the line with which the sail is attached were drilled. The gaff was completed with various bands fashioned from partially flattened copper wire.

wefalck

Image Image Image Image

Last edited by wefalck on Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next