The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1/200 USS Missouri
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:37 pm 

The sailor manning the 40 mm director on the port side of the tower has an interesting climb!

T

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:47 pm 

To give the model some context:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:50 pm 

Interesting how dark the grays are in the WWII paint schemes. I wonder which is a better obscuration, the WWII schemes such as the measure 32 or the lighter modern haze gray?

An imposing build!

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:23 am 

Hello Kelly

the all is very convincing :thumbs_up_1: the weathering is very well "proportioned" :thumbs_up_1:
bravo god job
cheers
Nicolas

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:54 am 

Superb paint job Kelly! :worship_1:

Just wondering about the rail on the middle of the deck behind turret #2... was it there on the real ship? I don't recall seing it before.

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:27 am 

I have seen photos of this rail at some early time in the service life of one of the ships, though I do not remember seeing it often. Some sort of OSHA device so to speak. Perhaps it was removable. Perhaps a wheelchair barrier so that Roosevelt's ride wouldn't get away in a seaway? It would be interesting to know the story on this detail,

Cheers. Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:29 am 

Channell wrote:
Superb paint job Kelly! :worship_1:

Just wondering about the rail on the middle of the deck behind turret #2... was it there on the real ship? I don't recall seing it before.

Yes the railing was there. You can see it in the surrender ceremony photos.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:35 am 

Beautiful work as always Kelly. Now all we need is an Essex class to to go with it. I'm building mine in the same scheme as you are, just after the surrender ceremony and on the way home.
Do you like the Grex with the pistol grip? I've been thinking of buying one as well.
Can't wait to see more and thanks for sharing your build.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:19 pm 

Not doubting you at all, but all the surrender photos I can find have wall to wall people. Will look at my Stillwell book as I think he has a layout drawing of the arrangements for the ceremony.

Cheers. T

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:55 pm 

Regarding the railing behind turret #2, it's hard to find evidence! In the Stillwell book, you can just make it out on pages 23 & 41. It also shows up in the data drawings on pages 397 & 399. And for what it is worth, the Kagero book on the USS Iowa 1944 show it in place, though configured slightly different.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:17 pm 

Your model does this magnificant ship full justice. You have certainly got a sizeable and lengthy task on your hands. I shall look forward to seeing the progress of the model. Good luck.
Mike

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:43 pm 

Okay, so far the aft mast has been the most difficult part of the entire build! I struggled with this the whole way through...

Here it is painted and installed:

I think at this point I may stop and do the majority of the rigging. Adding any more parts is just going to make it more difficult to do without breaking something. Did I mention I detest rigging...

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:33 pm 

Nice, clean and straight job on the aft mast.

I did reference the photos on page 23 and 41 on my Missouri book. The rail could be there, but pretty tenuous view even with a magnifier. With the original photos one might have a better view. ABC shows it in several of his drawings through 1953. It is not shown on the diagram of the surrender deck arrangement. In the surrender photos the area seems to be packed with officers. My guess a removable feature as most photos do not show it. I will look at my photos but will guess any deck sockets were planked over post war. Cliffy B might know or be able to find out something about this detail. Certainly there is enough evidence to either show it or not.

Anyway keep up the inspiring work and thanks for enlightening us on further details of this interesting ship.

Cheers. Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:33 pm 

Fliger747 wrote:
Nice, clean and straight job on the aft mast.

I did reference the photos on page 23 and 41 on my Missouri book. The rail could be there, but pretty tenuous view even with a magnifier. With the original photos one might have a better view. ABC shows it in several of his drawings through 1953. It is not shown on the diagram of the surrender deck arrangement. In the surrender photos the area seems to be packed with officers. My guess a removable feature as most photos do not show it. I will look at my photos but will guess any deck sockets were planked over post war. Cliffy B might know or be able to find out something about this detail. Certainly there is enough evidence to either show it or not.

Anyway keep up the inspiring work and thanks for enlightening us on further details of this interesting ship.

Cheers. Tom

About the rail... here's proof it's historically accurate: http://navsource.org/archives/01/063/016333e.jpg

I can't see it in pictures of the Iowas when they are docked or at anchor; I wonder if it was something that could be thrown up for crew safety when some shootin' with the big guns was anticipated and stowed away when it wasn't convenient. Or maybe it was a 'Mo thing because it clearly isn't there on the Iowa: http://navsource.org/archives/01/061/016173b.jpg

Keep up the great work, Kelly!

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:01 am 

Interesting photo, obviously a drill as there are a lot of sailors lollygagging about the upper decks as if to watch. Certainly not a wartime GQ action. Has anyone seen a similar fence on other classes of ships or around any other turrets? Definitely pipe rail, to be removable would have to be in sections, probably with sleeves and pinned together. One of the Bofors in the act of firing one barrel and another has just fired earlier in the sequence. Note how the censor airbrushed out the details of the coning tower top.

Thanks for sharing the photo Jason!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:07 am 

Other interesting details in the Iowa photo, such as the thin pipe stanchions on the 01 level rather than the I beam stanchions, and the large vents below the flag bridge, not covered. Anyone make a PE porthole with the shutters dogged in?

Great photo resources!

Cheers. Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:59 pm 

Sumrall, page 109 has a nice photo of Iowa at Ulithi, 27 Dec 1944, in dazzle camouflage. The circular fence is there if a bit sloppy as posts stuck in holes in the deck and likely wire rope rather than pipe rail. The reason may become clearer, the 01 level rails to the turn in the deck are laid flat or removed for potential main battery action, and the circular rail acts as a backup lifeline for this area, reducing the chances of being swept off the deck.

Cheers. T

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:42 am 

Regarding the rail aft of Turret 2 on the 01 Level - It's in the ABC drafts on pages 397, 399, & 403 of Stillwell's MISSOURI book - Chesley wouldn't have drawn it in if it weren't an actual part of the ship in 1945. I know I've seen pictures of it before now, but can't place where I saw them.

I believe it to be a temporary barrier, possibly for at-sea conditions. I don't think it has anything to do with actual firing of Turret 2.

Kelly - your model is quite nice - you've really done a wonderful job on the painting, etc.

I'm enjoying your build.

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:04 am 

Perhaps one of the most amazing examples of craftsmanship here is keeping the PE straight and clean! That all this adds to producing an out of the ordinarily convincing ship almost goes with out saying.

T

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:25 pm 

About the rail... here's proof it's historically accurate: http://navsource.org/archives/01/063/016333e.jpg

Hi

What I find interesting is the "photo shopped" ;-) top of the armored tower. What devices are on there normally that would be classified in the 1940ties?

thanks
Uwe

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next