The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:43 am 

I liked the canvas dodgers - very nice!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:40 pm 

Thanks, Martin. So far I'm liking them. I think in the future it may be beneficial to paint the outer face of the rails the same color as the dodgers, but we'll see how it looks after flat coats and weathering.

I vowed to myself that with my day off due to the non-blizzard event (really, only 6 inches of snow here in Hoboken), that I'd get the mast up. Mission accomplished. I had some issues with the brass bridge wing support assemblies that required mini-strip styrene supports to make them fit, but they turned out okay.

Next up are the after searchlight tower, then the stacks, all of which are assembled and painted, just need to be detailed and attached.

Attachments:
File comment: The finished assembly of the mast, upper super structure, and railings.
IMG_6030.jpg
IMG_6030.jpg [ 107.54 KiB | Viewed 1206 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:24 pm 

Hit another milestone this evening: stacks erected! Now she's looking like a proper Tin Can. Just the aft searchlight tower to install then all the major components will be installed.

I worked on some of the brass that needs folding this evening. The ladders with handrails fold beautifully using a mini Hold-N-Fold. The life raft mounts are bent with a handy two-piece tool that gives perfect alignment 90-degree bends. The kit comes with these mounts for forward and aft, but the forward mounts are rarely seen in pre-war photos, so I'm going to leave them off.

The propeller guards also have their own folding tools. These are more difficult to work with, due to the flat nature of the brass. I got them folded and mostly right, but they're a little sloppy in appearance. If I don't like the look of them against the hull I'll either see if I can make new ones from scratch using round stock, or if not, I'll just leave them off. I'm past the point of putting a full days work into minor components on this build.

Attachments:
File comment: Stacks in place!
IMG_6032.jpg
IMG_6032.jpg [ 157.41 KiB | Viewed 1162 times ]
File comment: Rigging mounts on the stacks visible in this closer shot.
IMG_6033.jpg
IMG_6033.jpg [ 128.5 KiB | Viewed 1162 times ]
File comment: The life raft mount bending tool. A very clever idea; wish more companies would do things like this!
IMG_6031.jpg
IMG_6031.jpg [ 124.92 KiB | Viewed 1162 times ]
File comment: Prop guards, ladders, and the prop guard bending tool.
IMG_6034.jpg
IMG_6034.jpg [ 166.92 KiB | Viewed 1162 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:40 pm 

Another major milestone down: the after superstructure/searchlight tower/mast. This was a fiddly assembly to put together, and just as fiddly to affix to the ship. There are tiny, faint, raised lines on the deck where the structure is to go, but after a coat of paint and clear coat, there's not much left to aid placement. This was one of the cases where I dry fit a dozen times, and got it right every time, but the first time with glue applied it just wouldn't sit tight. I used Gator Glue to do the initial assembly to give some working time, then once that had set up a bit, I placed strategic drops of super thin superglue at points not easily visible to lock the structure into place. The next time I build something with such a placement method, I'll first glue some styrene strip to the deck inside of where the structure sits, to act as a base for attachment.

The aft mast is maybe a little taller than it should be, but it turned out fine. I was going to use the kit part, as it looks great, and there's no rigging to contend with, but the realistically thin mast was fragile and bent out of shape removing it from the sprue.

Attachments:
File comment: Still using the telescoping brass rod, I glued down a support piece of solid rod, and got that aligned properly, in rake and parallel with the forward mast. That I fixed with superglue.
IMG_6035.jpg
IMG_6035.jpg [ 106.73 KiB | Viewed 1122 times ]
File comment: The mast assembly then sleeved over the fixed brass rod. I put just a drop of Gator Glue at the bottom of the brass rod so that I had time to align the mast, then once set, I applied a small drop of super glue to the base of the whole assembly.
IMG_6036.jpg
IMG_6036.jpg [ 107.4 KiB | Viewed 1122 times ]
File comment: This is how she looks now. Have to stop building for the day to help out at an event at my wife's studio. Tomorrow I plan on getting the 01 level railing sorted, and may have to start working on the rigging.
IMG_6037.jpg
IMG_6037.jpg [ 100.66 KiB | Viewed 1108 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:34 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Superb!

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:44 pm 

Great work!!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:55 pm 

That's a good looking boat!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:48 pm 

Very clean.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:52 am 

Thanks guys. Yes, Dan, I'm keeping this one fairly clean, as she's full hull. I'll do some light weathering and a wash, especially for the portholes, towards the end.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:07 pm 

I'm having to pull different photo etch into the mix as the Dragon set either doesn't fit where it's supposed to, or the runs are specifically for the 1942 Buchanan, and not the 1940 Benson that I'm building.

I have a set of the Alliance Model Works "WWII US Small Vessel" generic PE, which has two two and three bar railings, and three-line lifelines (you can make out the ball stanchions on this stuff!) It's very fine and I totally destroyed a few pieces before I figured out it needs a much more delicate touch than the stuff I'm used to. I like it though and will pick up more for future projects.

Also working on the boats. I could go nuts on these things, but the insides are relatively simple and devoid of detail, so I'm just doing a little highlight painting to give them some depth. One thing that confuses me is that the prop shafts are very well molded and delicate in styrene, but neither the dedicated ship PE that comes with the kit or the add-on Buchanan set have propellers for them. It'll maybe look a little odd, but I don't have any props in the spares box.

Attachments:
File comment: Some three-bar that go around the .50 caliber gun positions. It's hard to get this area exactly right, as on the real ships there were 4 or 5 stanchions in these positions with removable lifelines, so the "railing" here shouldn't technically be curved, but it looks damn odd if it isn't.
IMG_6038.jpg
IMG_6038.jpg [ 97.67 KiB | Viewed 1022 times ]
File comment: The railing is so fine that I don't want to risk mounting it on tape, priming and painting it. So I attach it first then go over it with a brush and really fine paint. It takes two passes to get it right.
IMG_6039.jpg
IMG_6039.jpg [ 116.87 KiB | Viewed 1022 times ]
File comment: Bits of Boats. Nice little kits, they also have PE rudders that aren't in the photo.
IMG_6040.jpg
IMG_6040.jpg [ 137.22 KiB | Viewed 1022 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:04 am 

I really like to follow this build, if I ever do a 1/350 scale model, I think it will have to be one of these.

Very beautiful and clean work, I really like how the anti-skid blends with the hull color, you can just tell they are there

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:54 pm 

Past two evenings have been spent on the small boats. I got them painted easily enough. Turns out the 1.5mm wide masking tape that I have is exactly the right width to line up with the lowest part of the gunnels, set it parallel to the keel, and presto, instant mask for spraying the lower hull black.

The PE boat cradles for the two boats that sit next to the practice loader are a nightmare. I dropped them, couldn't get them to stay on the boats (because they're simple v shapes, no where near correct for the curved lower hull). I finally came up with a solution of first mounting them to strip styrene as a base, which after another hour of cursing and dropping (I couldn't get ANYTHING to work right last night) I finally got them glued on, primed, and painted the lower part the deck gray.

Attachments:
File comment: The styrene base is way too thick, but mostly hidden by the boats once mounted. I briefly considered tearing this apart and replacing the center piece with a section of ladder, but it was so frustrating to make this simple little assembly that I decided to quit while I was ahead.
IMG_6041.jpg
IMG_6041.jpg [ 100.29 KiB | Viewed 923 times ]
File comment: The boat interior is simplified, but sufficient. Once the cradle assemblies were together, the boats sat in the V notches just fine. I just couldn't get the parts to fit any other way.
IMG_6042.jpg
IMG_6042.jpg [ 115.78 KiB | Viewed 923 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:02 pm 

Devin,
I have four props you can have for your ship's boats if you still need some. They are from GMM B/Gleaves PE sets.

"Then there was one patched-up carrier...."
Vice Admiral Thomas A. Kinkaid

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:50 pm 

Gordon,

Thanks for the offer. I'm not sure I'd be able to get hold of them on time, though. I have to have this thing done a week from tonight. I can live with them as is for now, but if once I'm done they bother me and I can still get in to add the props, I'll take you up on the offer. Thanks!

-Devin

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:12 pm 

Devin,

I still have your address, so I'll put them n the mail tomorrow morning and there's a real good chance that you will have them on Wednesday.

"Then there was one patched-up carrier...."
Vice Admiral Thomas A. Kinkaid

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:48 am 

Gordon,

Thanks very much. Between those and the hull red you sent, I'll have to put your name on a special dedication plaque on the finished build!

I'll hold off on mounting the boats until the very last thing. I got the blast bags on the 5" turrets painted last night, so tonight I can finish their assembly and mount them. After that I THINK I'm ready to look at the main deck railings and glossing the hull for draft markings, hull numbers, and an initial wash.

-Devin

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:18 pm 

The weekend of the big push. Actually, I should say the Saturday of the big push. I have a social obligation tomorrow that requires me to spend the bulk of the day at brunch and then at Barcade for a friend's birthday.

I figure if I can get everything up to and including gloss coating done today, then I can start with the decals and washes tomorrow evening when I get home. This build is due for a IPMS club group build next Friday, so not a lot of time. I'm thinking the base as-is, painted black, maybe sleeve the screws with some plastic tube, hopefully get to the rigging, but if not, then I'll have her as done as I can for Friday, then I'll have another month or so once I return from Costa Rica at the end of the month to do her up on a proper base and finish the last minute things.

A photo of her as she sits now. I got the blast bags painted on the 5" turrets, I'm ready to mount the open 5" turrets, then I THINK I can do the main deck railing. The list in the photo is by no means complete, nor is it in any semblance of an order.

Attachments:
IMG_6044.jpg
IMG_6044.jpg [ 158.71 KiB | Viewed 820 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:05 pm 

Well, I didn't get her completely finished for the club meeting on Friday. Things at work have taken a turn and I've been busy with that and preparing for a trip to warm WARM Costa Rica this coming Tuesday. Also, it's just too damn cold to work on much of anything lately, all I feel like doing is kicking back with a drink and a book or a movie.

I've got the anchor chains installed, the .50 calibers built, and the life rafts painted. I installed the main deck railings with the netting. These worked really well up forward, but not so well back aft. I ended up cutting them, using the life raft mounts as a natural break. I'll fill in the gaps with extra life line later.

I may get some work done tomorrow, but I'm not sure. This may be the last update for 2 weeks.

Attachments:
File comment: .50 calibers, life rafts, and the cleaned up propellers.
IMG_6045.jpg
IMG_6045.jpg [ 142.54 KiB | Viewed 773 times ]
File comment: Close-up of the .50 caliber mounts.
IMG_6052.jpg
IMG_6052.jpg [ 63.61 KiB | Viewed 773 times ]
File comment: Anchor chain before the railings were attached. They dropped right into the hawse pipes with no problems.
IMG_6048.jpg
IMG_6048.jpg [ 82.37 KiB | Viewed 773 times ]
File comment: Forward railings. The brass tint shows that I need to do a touch-up. I haven't had much luck getting good coverage on this PE, or having it hold the paint during handling.
IMG_6049.jpg
IMG_6049.jpg [ 109.23 KiB | Viewed 773 times ]
File comment: Not in a lot of photos, but to get the railings to sit flush I needed a break, and the liferaft mounts make a natural break.
IMG_6050.jpg
IMG_6050.jpg [ 108.15 KiB | Viewed 773 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:54 pm 

Hi, Devin

What a great work-in-progress you've shared with us! Every morning I hope ther's a new post about your work.

I'm looking forward to your approach to the boat-handling equipment on the after deckhouse. Part MA31 seems inadequate and begs for some scratchbuilding.

Regards, David

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:37 pm 

David,

Ah yes, that's the main problem I'm dealing with right now. I'm honestly thinking of wimping out and just not putting them in. You're correct in that the PE supplied part just doesn't cut it; it isn't even really a part, just a PE "Spru" in my opinion. I haven't found any after market sets that have those cranes, either.

I recently returned from a nice long warm stay in Costa Rica, and got back to the workbench last night. I've mounted 4 of the 6 .50 cal mounts. I'm at the point now where I need to gloss coat and start washing and weathering, so I can then move on to rigging. Hopefully some updates to post this weekend.

-Devin

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next