The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1/96 Constitution Take 2
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:47 am 

This is going to be my build page of the old Revell 1/96 Constitution.
I tried to build this years ago, but when my apartment flooded it got ruined.
I found this on Ebay and fortunately I won it for $10.00. The box was in horrid shape, but the kit was still in plastic and everything is still there, so it's all good.
I have it all laid out on the pool table to air out while I finish my 2 dios that I have going right now.
Even the sails are in good shape, so I'm hoping to run her under full sails.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:46 pm 

This was my first ever sailing ship model back in 1976. If I may, a couple suggestions? Get the plans at http://www.marylandsilver.com/ They are only about 20 bucks. Also, make cloth sails if you are ambitious. Will look WAY better.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:00 pm 

:thumbs_up_1:

Looking forward to this Mark, good luck.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:
1/700 scale rebuild of diorama project 960 square feet.
(Table 1 underway)Feb.2017
1/350 USS ALASKA CB-1(started Aug. 2017) 70% completed

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:11 am 

I've had the kid for about a week now, and the only thing I've done with her is lay all the plans out on my pool table and one by one Fabreze them. This must have been in an old musty garage or basement, because the box was disintegrating and all the directions smelled very musty.

I wanted to build this for a long time now, and just like everything else I've decided to build, it was fresh out of circulation. I found one on Amazon for $223,78, but it has free shipping!!! Most everything else was SOLD OUT waiting for restock, I found this one on Ebay for $10.00. It had a steep shipping price of $30.00, but it still worked out to a decent price for a fun winter project. I then got an email from the seller that Ebay over judged the shipping, and he reimbursed me $17.00.

Now I'm in the process of doing research in how to paint her. I think I'm going with the traditional white stripe, with a green on the spar deck bulwarks, and an ornate fantail. I'm going to detail the aft cabin and gun deck with 3mm LEDs hidden to look like sconces and lanterns. Another thing I've been thinking about, if it's an easy fix, is to omit the gun covers. I've read where most of the time they were stored below.

I'm not sure how accurate Revell's rigging directions are, but it seems like I can follow along, so I'm going to stick with them.

I'm going to try and stiffen the split masts with brass rod or pieces of coat hanger.

Now I just have to work on my work area's lighting. I'm tired of working in the dark.
Thanks for reading the ramblings of an old man, I'll try to do more ship and less rambling from now on. :rolf_3:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:05 pm 

I opened the bags last night and decided to start with the cannons. The cannon bases are going to take a while. The molds are old and don't line up that well. No big deal, a little time sanding, filing, and scraping and they will be fine.
I have about three hours into it so far, and only have ten cannon bases presentable. It looks as if the main deck cannon bases are molded a little cleaner than the gun deck bases. Once they are cleaned I'm going to have to mix that terracotta color.

This plastic feels different than what I'm use to working with. It's kind of gummy.
I'll post a few pictures once I have something to show.

Thanks for watching.

4 hours.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:25 pm 

Got a little painting done tonight.
I've been working on the tedium of the cannons to get them out of the way.
The cannon bases are painted a terracotta color. It took two tries, but I think once they get clear coated the'll be dead on.

Along with this I primed the hull and got the copper painted.

Next I have to clean the cannon barrels. Once again tedium.

12 hours.

Report this post