The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:59 pm 
Beautiful work! Hats off! :big_grin:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:57 pm 

Hey guys, I've got a question. The Pontos detail set for this model has a stern light assembly with 3 lights as shown here.

Attachment:
Stern Lights.jpg
Stern Lights.jpg [ 29.93 KiB | Viewed 4255 times ]

What colors should these lights be painted?

Thanks!

Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:40 pm 

Hi Larry and everyone else ofc.

First post here, I have been lurking for a few weeks as I have just got this same kit as well as the Pontos after kits and a few other bits and pieces.

Firstly I have to say WOW Larry, what an awesome job you are doing on your build. Makes me think I have bitten off far more than I can chew. However, I am going to give it my best endeavours and will be back here shamelessly using your experiences to help me along.

I'd like to thank you and all the others here that have posted invaluable information for a newbie like myself and in that vein I have a few queries if I may.

1) I would just like to confirm the links/inch of the chain you used for the paravane. I think you used 26, is this correct or did you change it to 18?

2) How did you affix the paravane chain to the bottom of the hull? I have looked at all your photos, but can't see one that chows this.

3) I have bought the stuff for doing the edge of the deck to give the lip and wanted to confirm I have the correct sizes as, to me the wire looks too big. Styrene 0.01 inches wide and the wire 0.02 inches wide, i.e. twice the width. Have I got that correct or misread it? Still not sure I have the courage to attempt this we'll see.

4) A guy called Jason Channell posted a detailed topic on the Bofur Quad Guns - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=160867&p=672725#p672725 - unfortunately none of the images are now available. You didn't save a copy by any chance?

I think that's all for now. Thanks in advance for all responses. Larry best of luck with your build.

Innes

Last edited by Timmy C on Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fixed link

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:30 pm 

Innes101

I have the file Channell posted about the 40mm guns. It's the Veteran Models guns BTW.

Send me your e-mail address and I'll forward it.

Lloyd

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:37 pm 

Howdy folks,

Time for another episode in the life of this cross-eyed, idiotic model builder who spend half his time crawling around on the floor on his hands and knees looking for minuscule brass parts that snapped off his tweezers and went sailing to God knows where. I have a wood floor up here in my loft and let me tell you, that's almost as bad as carpet when it comes to looking for parts. :heh:

I do have some more photos to show you but I'm going to wait till later in the day to post them. What I want to do right now is to try to answer some of the questions Innes posed and to make a few asinine comments of my own, which I am prone to do more often than not.

OK Innes, here goes:

#1: I looked all over creation for simulated studded chain for the paravane chain and never did find anything that I considered acceptable. What I ended up using was just regular chain that I bought from Micro-Mark. It's 20 links per inch, which is close enough for government work as far as I'm concerned, plus it's already black. Unless you get down close with a magnifying glass you can't really tell if it's studded or not. Here's the link if you're interested: https://www.micromark.com/Miniature-Cha ... rk?chain=5

#2: A couple years ago my niece bought an old console TV, wanting to make a wine cabinet out of the enclosure. I helped her gut the thing and in the process I noticed that the TV chassis had a bunch of coils (inductors) that were wound with extremely fine wire. I ripped out a couple and saved them, wondering if I could use this wire on my ship. This is what I used to attach the paravane chain to the bow. I drilled a tiny hole through the bow protrusion ( I think it was maybe .3mm), then cut a length of this wire, fed it through the end link of the chain, doubled it over and fed it down through the hole I'd drilled. I pulled it tight (gently!) and touched the underside of the bow protrusion with a drop of super glue. Once it dried, I trimmed off the excess wire from underneath and applied a drop of red hull paint to hide the wire ends. Since the wire was sort of a reddish bronze color, I used the tip of a needle to put a tiny drop of flat black on the part holding the chain. Note that I also used this wire to wind around the cable reels.

#3: If I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember Jason using .01" x 02" Evergreen strip for his deck lip. I seem to recall reading in the "Calling All Iowa Class" thread about someone mentioning that the lip was about 6" high, meaning that .01x.03 would be more realistic. That was what I used, and the method I used to apply it is mentioned some pages back in this build log. As for the top cap, I bought a spool of #22 copper wire (.025"), put one end in the vise, and pulled on it until I thought is was about the right diameter. I think I stretched it to about 125% of it's original length. If I had it to do over, I probably wouldn't do this. That damn wire was a sonofagun to glue in place and there still are places where it doesn't look good. Instead, I would use Evergreen rod. I didn't because I wanted a continuous length and didn't want any butted ends. As to size, I'm not sure where I saw it - either in the Iowa tread or from the TFD plans, but I seem to recall that the actual cap was 5" in diameter, which would be .020 in our scale. Maybe Hank can correct me on this.

#4: Yeah, Jason did a great tutorial on assembling these little bastards. I see Lloyd saved a copy and is sending it to you. Let this be a lesson: If you do start a build log, I would seriously recommend you posting photos here directly instead of linking them from an outside source. There is so much valuable and worthwhile information on the Iowa thread that has been lost due to external photo sites shutting down. I'm trying very hard to make sure what little bit of help I can offer will be maintained.

OK, I think I've rambled on long enough and, hopefully, have helped you a little. If you can afford it, I would seriously recommend you visiting TFD (The Floating Drydock) and ordering a set of Tom's blueprints for this ship. You really don't need the 1:96 set, the 1:192 set will help you tremendously. It's just that at 76 years old, my eyeballs ain't what they used to be! Also, if you want to do any extra detailing, his digital book on this ship is a great help, as is Kagero/Stefan Draminski's book of 3D drawings. Take this with a grain of salt, though, because I've found a few errors.

Also, a couple other things I would recommend is to check out two build logs in particular; Kelly Quirk's (viewtopic.php?f=59&t=155426), and Wojtek's (viewtopic.php?f=59&t=165366&hilit=Wojtek&start=60). Each one has a lot of close-ups and shows a lot of detail. In fact, I copied the pictures from these logs and put them into Word documents where they are on my desktop and I can get to them easily.

Next, I would advise you to go to Pontos' site and download all 14 sheets of their instructions to your computer. They download as pdf files and once you do this, you can blow them up to 2 or 3 times normal size. Maybe you can read the tiny print on the sheets that came with the set, but I need something bigger. Here's the link to the Pontos' site: http://pontosmodel.com/html/23002f1.html Just click on the "Manual Download" and save each page.

OK, I'm gonna shut up now. If you have any other question, Innes, feel free to contact me by PM here or at my E-mail: phydeaux99 at att dot net. Good luck and have fun on your new project. It's a long haul, but it's an enjoyable hobby.

More pictures will come later. Right now, my Better Half wants my attention, and you know who takes priority!!! :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:36 pm 
Hello Larry.

As with Innes I have been following your progress with interest and awe... not always in that order. Your workmanship is incredible, and I also really enjoy the insights into your real world. Your wife must be a saint.

Your diary/log is costing me a bunch of money, because it sucked me into taking on this mega-beast. I bought my kit in January, and also picked up the two Pontos "gotta haves". I've been snacking on the various sub assemblies with the goal of having most of the main deck and superstructure done by April at which time I'll hope to set aside for the summer... if it ever shows up this year. If all goes to plan I'll have the main guns, bofors, oerlikons, secondary fire control, and the main deck railings left for rainy days and/or fall fun-n-games.

Could you please send me the file that contains the bofor pictures that tie back to the tutorial (jimelchek@aol.com). I had cut and pasted the text, but until I saw the latest post I was resigned to matching the text to the Pontos/Veterans photos with hints from the various experts such as yourself.

The colors for the stern lights? Funny thing, I had just completed that sub-assembly last week and had been researching the web for the colors. As best as I could find the top light appeared to be white, but I'm hoping that one of the experts who are also following your progress can provide a more definitive answer.

Keep up the great work. You're an inspiration to us newbies!

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:26 pm 

OK friends, I'm back! Aren't you just jumping for joy!! :woo_hoo: I promised I'd be back to post some pictures, but I didn't think I would be this late. I swear, this damn ship is going to make a wino out of me before I finish it. I took a couple more pictures and as I was moving over to my computer, my shirt-tail brushed across the stern, taking the crane and depositing it on the floor - in 4 pieces! Luckily, I was able to find all the pieces, but it took me an hour and a half - and a half a glass of wine, to repair the damage.

OK, let's see what I've been up to. I think there's a limit to how many pictures you can put in a single post, so if I run over, I'll continue with a second post after this one. These first two shots are of the stern of the ship, both from the starboard side and the port side. The third photo shows the stern a little clearer

Attachment:
01 Starboard Stern.jpg
01 Starboard Stern.jpg [ 100.86 KiB | Viewed 4032 times ]

Attachment:
02 Port Side Stern.jpg
02 Port Side Stern.jpg [ 110.19 KiB | Viewed 4032 times ]

Attachment:
03 Stern.jpg
03 Stern.jpg [ 120.86 KiB | Viewed 4032 times ]

The next four pictures show the stern deck in a little more detail. My camera has trouble with depth of field when the subject is this close so I have to focus on different items. I did find out that the top stern light is supposed to be white, but I don't know about the other two lower ones. They're so bloody tiny anyway that nobody's ever going to notice them, so I just ignored them and sprayed them gray.

Attachment:
04 Starbd 40mm Quads & Gun Director.jpg
04 Starbd 40mm Quads & Gun Director.jpg [ 109.84 KiB | Viewed 4032 times ]

Attachment:
05 Stern Deck Detail.jpg
05 Stern Deck Detail.jpg [ 129.56 KiB | Viewed 4032 times ]

Attachment:
06 Port 40mm Gun Detail.jpg
06 Port 40mm Gun Detail.jpg [ 102.85 KiB | Viewed 4032 times ]

Attachment:
07 Starbd Catapult.jpg
07 Starbd Catapult.jpg [ 111.3 KiB | Viewed 4032 times ]

The next two shots are overall pictures of the aft portion of the ship, taken at different angles.

Attachment:
08 Aft Deck Detail.jpg
08 Aft Deck Detail.jpg [ 133.62 KiB | Viewed 4032 times ]

Attachment:
09 Aft Deck Detail from Above.jpg
09 Aft Deck Detail from Above.jpg [ 165.29 KiB | Viewed 4032 times ]

And that's where she stands as of right now (8:52 PM EST March 4, 2019). I had intended to start working on the portions above the main deck (the citadel) next but my sister wants me to do the big 16" gun turrets next. So, since I'm a sucker for a begging woman, I reckon that my next projects will be the main gun batteries - at least turrets 1 and 3. I may wait on #2 - or, I may do them all at once and screw them all up at the same time! Hey, nothing like being consistent, right?

OK, 10 pictures is all I can add on one post. So, I'll continue this in a second post. Keep watching.........

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:42 pm 

OK, here's the rest of the pictures.

Now, gents, I need your opinion on a couple things. Here is what I ended up with filling the floater net baskets. I've only done 2 of them so far until I see if I like them - and getting your opinions. I used "Tole" as the netting and cut tiny pieces of 0.025" Evergreen rod painted brown that I placed on top to simulate the cork floats. What do you think? Think they will work? I do have to tell ya something - DON'T COUGH WHEN PLACING THESE LITTLE FARTS! If you do, you'll be sorry!! :big_grin:

Attachment:
10 Floater Net Basket.jpg
10 Floater Net Basket.jpg [ 120.63 KiB | Viewed 4029 times ]

Attachment:
11 Floater Net Baskets.jpg
11 Floater Net Baskets.jpg [ 117.63 KiB | Viewed 4029 times ]

Now, for the second thing I need your opinion on. According to the TFD plans, there was what was called an "Aircraft Boat" that rested on the aft deck and was used to assist in retrieving the seaplanes. Well, I couldn't find anything that resembled an aircraft boat. I went through every on-line hobby store I could think of, and even Shapeways various sellers. I didn't find anything that would work, but I did find a 1:200 Admiral's Gig from DiStefen 3Dprint at Shapeways that caught my eye. I remember reading in the Stillwell book on this battleship that at times there was an Admiral on board the Missouri. So, I figured, why not? Let's see how it looks. Hell, it's only money!

So now I need your opinion. Should I put this boat on the aft deck or leave it off? I kinda like the little boat, but I'm not sure if it looks all that good on the aft deck or not. What do you think? I haven't glued it down yet.

Attachment:
12 Aft Deck less Admiral's Gig.jpg
12 Aft Deck less Admiral's Gig.jpg [ 140.59 KiB | Viewed 4029 times ]

Attachment:
13 Aft Deck with Admiral's Gig.jpg
13 Aft Deck with Admiral's Gig.jpg [ 131.55 KiB | Viewed 4029 times ]

Attachment:
14 Admiral'sGig on Aft Deck.jpg
14 Admiral'sGig on Aft Deck.jpg [ 123.53 KiB | Viewed 4029 times ]

Attachment:
15 Admiral's Gig.jpg
15 Admiral's Gig.jpg [ 126.43 KiB | Viewed 4029 times ]

Now, before I get out of your hair for tonight, I thought I'd post a few pics of my work area. My Sweetie bought me my desk so I'd have a nice place to work with a lot of light.

Attachment:
Desk1.jpg
Desk1.jpg [ 156.11 KiB | Viewed 4029 times ]

Attachment:
Desk2.jpg
Desk2.jpg [ 154.15 KiB | Viewed 4029 times ]

Attachment:
Desk3.jpg
Desk3.jpg [ 151.25 KiB | Viewed 4029 times ]

When I don't have my ship parked on my desk, I keep it stored on top of the bookcase next to my desk. I keep a thin plastic sheet over it to keep the dust off.

Attachment:
Desk4.jpg
Desk4.jpg [ 167.48 KiB | Viewed 4029 times ]

As Bugs Bunny would say " That's All Folks!" Have a great evening! Now I'm going to go get a glass of wine!!! :smallsmile: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:05 pm 

Good job on the crane rescue Larry. Sure is annoying when crap like that happens.

The floater nets look great. I didn't bother and left my baskets empty. You've got more patience than i for sure.

The gig doesn't do anything for me, I think it's a bit much for a plane retrieving boat. Maybe if you could cut down the superstructure
and make the back half of the boat simpler??? I like the idea but think they would use something like one of the boats on the davits
near the midships.

Now that you have the little beasties, the 20s and 40s done and the not so little 5" complete you should for sure get at the big bang sticks.
It looks kinda strange without main armament.

It's coming along great and you deserve at least one glass of wine now and then, just make sure to stay away from cranes and especially
those super fragile catapults when you imbibe.

Take care,

Lloyd

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:26 am 

Hi All,

Thanks for the detailed responses to my questions. That's a lot of detail for me to absorb, so I need to go away and look at it carefully.

Lloyd, I sent you an email with me details for the pictures you have saved, thanks in advance for those. I think they are going to save me a heap of heartache and pain. I am currently awaiting the Pontas Advanced kit to be sent from Korea. Hopefully it will arrive before the end of the month. I have plenty to do in the mean time.

Larry, again thanks for your replies, looks like I have got too thick a wire so will have to get something different. I might very well try the brass rods. I have something called 'Liquid Green Stuff' from Games Workshop which I am hoping will be easier to use to fill in gaps if I try and do the do the deck lip. I have also been using your guide to make the anchors sit properly, so very much appreciated on that.

Also, thanks for the forum links, I think I had already found one, but definitely did not have the other. There are great, detailed pictures on there as well as links to other posts that will be really useful.

I managed to get an Eduard kit for the Missouri, relatively cheap, it is the part 2 with the hull plates, so I will try adding those too. It also gives me some options in choosing PE parts for bits and potentially spares when I inevitably 'fubar' at some point.

I am in the UK, so unlikely to get to see the USS Missouri up close any time soon, but maybe one day :smallsmile: .

Finally, a couple more questions, well for now, I am sure there will be lots more in the future.

1) I was looking at the extra detail you had added in some places and wondered how you did the 'phone boxes'. Were they scratch built, or did you find something to adapt? Either way, they look great.

2) You mentioned the wire you used to attach the paravane chain, you also used to wrap around the empty reels. Did you do this for all reels and just how thin was this wire? I think the reels will definitely look better with something on them.

Anyway, enough from me. Thanks again.

Innes

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:46 am 

Looking great Larry!

I'm sure nobody would use an Admiral's gig to recover the planes during normal operations but there might be a historical precedent for having it on board somewhere as you can see at least one floating near the 'Mo during the Tokyo bay surrender film. Might be worth looking into...

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:30 am 

Howdy Peoples,

Are ya ready for another update on my plastic toy boat? While I haven't gotten as much done as I would have liked, I wasn't sitting on my ass either - really!!! That darn thing called real life keeps rearing it's ugly head and disturbing my play time.

OK, first, I need to answer a couple questions raised by Innes after my latest post. The first thing he asked was "What did I use for guidelines when I made my phone boxes, and other misc items?" Well, Innes, I have a 1:192 set of drawings for this ship I bought from "The Floating Drydock". They show detailed drawings of just about every part of the ship, and I scaled them from these drawings. The difference from 1:192 to 1:200 is insignificant when dealing with things like this. If you're interested, get hold of Randy at TFD and tell him you want plans TFW-BB63/16, or, if you really want great detail, get the 1:96 set, TFW-BB63/8.

Attachment:
2019-03-19_0-51-09.jpg
2019-03-19_0-51-09.jpg [ 66.46 KiB | Viewed 3839 times ]

OK, now for the second question: You wanted to know what wire I used to a) attach the paravane chain to the bow, and b) what wire I used to wind around the hose reels. Actually, it's the same wire, Innes. It's copper wire from an inductor coil I tore out of an old TV set. According to my calipers, it measures 0.005" diameter, or, since you're from the UK, .127mm. For the smaller hose reels, I wound a single layer around a round toothpick, then brushed glue on it to hold it in place. After it was dry, I sprayed it flat black and cut it in small pieces to fit between the reel ends. That answer your questions?

Attachment:
Copper Wire.jpg
Copper Wire.jpg [ 210.85 KiB | Viewed 3839 times ]

Well then, I was planning on starting with the upper decks next but my sister wanted me to do the "Big Guns" next. So, in deference to my little Sis, that's what I did. Yeah, I know, my "Little Sis" is 73 years old, but she's still my little Sis.

The upper portions of the turrets went quite smoothly, actually, with very little problems. Because of the different color of the top of the turrets, I had to do a little thinking about what parts I wanted to add now and which ones I had to save for after the top was glued on.

Attachment:
16 inTurrets Ready to Prime 1.jpg
16 inTurrets Ready to Prime 1.jpg [ 351 KiB | Viewed 3839 times ]

Attachment:
16 inTurrets Ready to Prime 2.jpg
16 inTurrets Ready to Prime 2.jpg [ 305.86 KiB | Viewed 3839 times ]

I did run into one problem. If you look at the Pontos instructions, you see that you’re supposed to glue parts 218 through 225 to the sides as shown.

Attachment:
2019-03-17_17-15-04.jpg
2019-03-17_17-15-04.jpg [ 30.05 KiB | Viewed 3839 times ]

Well forget that :censored_2:! These parts are so f**king small you can hardly see them. Part 225 is about the size of the tip of a needle You can’t even pick it up with a pair of pointed tweezers, and if you do manage to get hold of it, you end up gluing it to the tip of your tweezers instead of where it goes. Besides, I don’t like the looks of them anyway. They’re way too thin. So, I said to hell with them and made my own out of .010 thin plastic stock. Even then they were so flipping tiny I’d cut one out and immediately lose it. I think I lost about 6 for every one that I managed to glue on! I took a close look at both Kelly Quirk's and Wojtek's build logs and neither of them put these asinine parts in either, so I don't feel too bad. In fact, I think they look pretty decent for an old fart like me.

Attachment:
16 in Turret Side Detail.jpg
16 in Turret Side Detail.jpg [ 312.95 KiB | Viewed 3839 times ]

So that's where I am now. In the next day or two I want to prime and spray them, along with the tops, and then I can resume building, or should I say crawling around the floor on my hands and knees looking for tiny bits of brass!

Until then - May you be the pigeon instead of the statue!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:15 am 

Beautiful work!! Really clean and well assembled. :thumbs_up_1:

1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:26 am 

Ye gads! I can't believe it's been almost 2 months since I posted an update here. At the rate I'm going I'm seriously beginning to wonder if I'll croak before I even get this stupid plastic toy boat finished! Seems like every time I think I have a little spare time to work on it, either the house or my spouse needs something done. I've got a question to all you retired gents out there: Do you ever wonder how on earth you had time to work at your job?

OK, enough jabbering. Time to get down to the serious stuff of ship building. As you know, my sister talked me into working on the 16" gun turrets next and when I left off, I had added a few brass parts and improvised on a couple things. So, let's pick up where we left off. I didn't do things in probably the order in which the Pontos instructions said, and I'll try to explain why as we go along.

The next step I did was to prime and paint the turrets and the brass tops as they were now. I knew the ladders had to line up with the grab irons on the top and I needed to glue the top on before I went any further. Again, I primed the parts with gloss black primer and then sprayed the turrets and the tops separately.

Attachment:
01 16 inTurrets Ready to Prime 1.jpg
01 16 inTurrets Ready to Prime 1.jpg [ 118.2 KiB | Viewed 3672 times ]

Attachment:
02 16 inTurrets Ready to Prime 2.jpg
02 16 inTurrets Ready to Prime 2.jpg [ 124 KiB | Viewed 3672 times ]

Attachment:
03 Both colors Sprayed.jpg
03 Both colors Sprayed.jpg [ 119.84 KiB | Viewed 3672 times ]

Attachment:
04 Ready to glue.jpg
04 Ready to glue.jpg [ 100.87 KiB | Viewed 3672 times ]

After they dried a day or two, it was time to glue the tops on. Here was my first dilemma. What kind of glue should I use? Because of the fairly large surface, my thin, fast-setting CA glue wouldn't be a good idea, and I didn't trust myself to spread an even layer of regular CA and have it look right without smearing it over something else. Believe it or not, I found my answer while wandering around Michael's craft store waiting for my wife. Elmers now makes a transparent glue and I wondered if this would work. So, I bought a bottle and experimented with it on a few scrap pieces. It's not waterproof, but I don't intend on ever putting this ship in the water. It seemed to work fine, so I smeared some on one of the tops and weighted it down until the glue set. Bingo! Worked like a champ. So I did the same to the other two turrets.

Attachment:
05 Tops Glued On.jpg
05 Tops Glued On.jpg [ 116.4 KiB | Viewed 3672 times ]

The next thing I did was to spray the brass pieces I would need while they were still on the fret. No way would I recommend trying to spray them after you cut them out. They're way too tiny.

Attachment:
07 Ready to begin adding detail.jpg
07 Ready to begin adding detail.jpg [ 152.01 KiB | Viewed 3672 times ]

Incidentally, here's a shot of my "paint booth". We have a small 2 person hot tub in the lower level of our home located on one end of my wife's craft room. That's where I do my spraying.

Attachment:
06 Paint Booth.jpg
06 Paint Booth.jpg [ 122.39 KiB | Viewed 3672 times ]

Alright, now I'm ready to tackle the grab irons, and boy, are those little bastards ever tiny!

Attachment:
08 Dang, those thimngs are tiny!.jpg
08 Dang, those thimngs are tiny!.jpg [ 165.02 KiB | Viewed 3672 times ]

It's a good think Pontos gave me plenty of spares because I can't count how many snapped off of my tweezers and went to meet the Carpet Monster. But I finally got them all on, along with the hold-downs for the life rafts. Be careful when you cut these out! They bend really easy!

Attachment:
10 Bloomer mounting rings added.jpg
10 Bloomer mounting rings added.jpg [ 73.03 KiB | Viewed 3672 times ]

Attachment:
09 Grab irons and raft tie-downs added.jpg
09 Grab irons and raft tie-downs added.jpg [ 68.92 KiB | Viewed 3672 times ]

Since the maximum number of photos you can have in a post is 10, I'm going to have to break this narrative off at this point and continue it on a new post.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:21 pm 

Hi, it's me again! Are we ready to continue with part 2 of today's yarn? I actually have several more posts beyond this, but I'm only going to post two or three today. Katie has me painting the downstairs bedroom and I have to go work on that after I'm done "playing" here. Always something - right?

Now that the top grab-irons are in place, I can locate the ladders, since they have to line up with the grab irons. Of course the ladder sides have to be bent up at a 90 degree angle. I don't know about the rest of you, but to do this I use 2 razor blades, 1 to hold the ladder and the other to slip under the side and bend it up. I personally found that this works best if you have a smooth, hard surface. I went to Home Depot and bought a couple 6" square white ceramic tiles (50 cents each) to work on and these worked out just fine.

Attachment:
11Bending ladder side rails up..jpg
11Bending ladder side rails up..jpg [ 104.54 KiB | Viewed 3662 times ]

I only bent up enough for 1 turret at a time and then glued them on the front.

Attachment:
12 Front ladders installed.jpg
12 Front ladders installed.jpg [ 86.11 KiB | Viewed 3662 times ]

Next, I did the same things to the side ladders, making sure they fit snugly against the bottom. NOTE: Make sure you notice which way the ladders are bent so you don't glue them on backwards! This comes from experience!!! Later on I'll show you a picture where I did just that, and never noticed it until I looked at the picture!!

Attachment:
13 Side ladders added.jpg
13 Side ladders added.jpg [ 90.01 KiB | Viewed 3662 times ]

Attachment:
14 Other side.jpg
14 Other side.jpg [ 85.96 KiB | Viewed 3662 times ]

OK, now I'm going to set these aside for a bit. I'm not going to glue the floater baskets on yet because they are very fragile and I don't want to bend or break them. So, I'm going to work on the 40mm quad gun tubs that go on top of turrets 2 and 3. The first thing to do is to prime them, then spray the blue, mask it off, and spray the grey. Make sure you don't forget to paint the underside as well!

Attachment:
15 40mm Gun tub painted.jpg
15 40mm Gun tub painted.jpg [ 73.57 KiB | Viewed 3662 times ]

Next, we cut out and install the ammunition racks. I only cut out one row at a time, starting with the bottom row. Be careful when you bend the tabs, because they break off REAL easy!

Attachment:
16 Ammo Racks.jpg
16 Ammo Racks.jpg [ 132.74 KiB | Viewed 3662 times ]

Attachment:
17 Tabs bent - ready to install.jpg
17 Tabs bent - ready to install.jpg [ 163.78 KiB | Viewed 3662 times ]

Since the two rear corner racks have only a single positioning tab at the corner, it's a bit of a pain to get the ends lined up correctly with the front piece. Mine isn't perfect by any means, but listen, once you get the gun platform mounted, nobody is going to be looking at the alignment of the ammo racks!

Attachment:
18 2 Layers of ammo racks mounted.jpg
18 2 Layers of ammo racks mounted.jpg [ 95.19 KiB | Viewed 3662 times ]

Once all three rows are glued in place, the inside ladders come next. According to Pontos, I should drill .3mm holes and install grab irons one at a time for these ladders. Nuts to that! I can't get my pin vice in there to drill straight holes! So, I went through the frets of PE that came with the Trumpeter kit and found several ladders I could cut pieces from to use instead. Believe me, this was a heck of a lot easier than trying to do it the other way!

Attachment:
19 Side ladders.jpg
19 Side ladders.jpg [ 100.82 KiB | Viewed 3662 times ]

All done, this is what the insides of the 40mm gun tubs looked like.

Attachment:
20 Inside ladders added.jpg
20 Inside ladders added.jpg [ 82.11 KiB | Viewed 3662 times ]

Yeah, you can see where the glue was, but I'll paint that over again and with a gloss clear coat of Krylon and then a matte final coat over that, I think it will look just fine.

OK, this is 10 more pictures and I have to terminate this post. I also have to go into PaintShop Pro and crop and reduce some more pictures so I can post them here. And, I have to go get something to eat - I'm starving!!

I'll try to post another 10 pictures yet today, but if not, well, there's always tomorrow, right?

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:18 pm 

Greetings, friends,

It's been quite a while since I posted last - about 6 weeks, actually, and while I haven't totally ignored my ship, I did manage to get in a few hours here and there in between all the real life crap that comes with owning a home - and a wife that loves to create "Honey-Do" lists!

I finally, repeat FINALLY finished the three big 16 inch gun turrets. They took forever, and at this rate my wife will be auctioning off my partially finished ship after I'm pushing up daises. But I took quite a few pictures of the process that I can share with you showing how these went together.

When I left off, we were working on the tops of the turrets. Here are the pieces that go to make up the little housing around the MK51 gun directors on turrets #2 and 3

Attachment:
01 Parts for the MK51 Gun Director enclosure.jpg
01 Parts for the MK51 Gun Director enclosure.jpg [ 98.09 KiB | Viewed 3441 times ]

And here is turret #2 with the 40mm gun tub and the MK51 in place. Once these parts are added to turret #3, we are ready for the next step.

Attachment:
02 Gun tub & MK51 enclosure added.jpg
02 Gun tub & MK51 enclosure added.jpg [ 114.08 KiB | Viewed 3441 times ]

Attachment:
03 Ready for next step.jpg
03 Ready for next step.jpg [ 77.77 KiB | Viewed 3441 times ]

The next thing I did was to add the crew helmets to the sides of the 40mm gun tubs.

Attachment:
04 Helmets added to gun tubs.jpg
04 Helmets added to gun tubs.jpg [ 112.01 KiB | Viewed 3441 times ]

If you remember, I mentioned some time ago how I made these. I bought a few sets of 1:200 scale compressed gas bottles from Steve at Model Monkey and broke off the tiny teats at the top.

Attachment:
05 Gas Cylinders from Model Monkey.jpg
05 Gas Cylinders from Model Monkey.jpg [ 80.01 KiB | Viewed 3441 times ]

Then I painted the tips dark gray and then cut off the top 3/32 or so with a razor blade. They're not exactly helmets but at that size they doan excellent job of approximating them.

Attachment:
06 Tips cut & tops painted dark gray.jpg
06 Tips cut & tops painted dark gray.jpg [ 97.16 KiB | Viewed 3441 times ]

Attachment:
07 Half circular tops cut off to use as helmets.jpg
07 Half circular tops cut off to use as helmets.jpg [ 82.84 KiB | Viewed 3441 times ]

Now, I set the tops aside and started on the bottoms. The first thing I did was to spray black primer, then mask off where the side air vents were and spray grey.

Attachment:
08 Bottoms Sprayed gray .jpg
08 Bottoms Sprayed gray .jpg [ 75.46 KiB | Viewed 3441 times ]

Next came the bottom hatches. Guess what! They're fragile and break when you bend them. But I managed to get them on without too much swearing. I chose to have one of them open and the other part way open.

Attachment:
09 Hatch Detail.jpg
09 Hatch Detail.jpg [ 81.27 KiB | Viewed 3441 times ]

Attachment:
10 Hatches Installed.JPG
10 Hatches Installed.JPG [ 80.11 KiB | Viewed 3441 times ]

Now, since we can only have 10 photos per post, I'll have to continue this in the next post.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:05 pm 

OK, continuing where we left off -

Because of it's location, mounted one deck above turret #1, turret 2 had catwalks under the hatches, apparently for safety reasons. I bent them to shape using a couple razor blades and glued them into place.

Attachment:
11 #2 turret platforms.JPG
11 #2 turret platforms.JPG [ 102.04 KiB | Viewed 3437 times ]

Attachment:
12 Platforms under hatches on Turret #2.jpg
12 Platforms under hatches on Turret #2.jpg [ 62.07 KiB | Viewed 3437 times ]

At the same time, I painted the rear air vents flat black on all 3 turret bottoms. Then I set them aside for the time being.

Attachment:
13 Hatches installed on bottom - Vents painted flat black.jpg
13 Hatches installed on bottom - Vents painted flat black.jpg [ 59.33 KiB | Viewed 3437 times ]

Next I turned my attention to the gun barrels. The plastic barrels that came with the ship kit are nice but since the Pontos detail set has 9 brass barrels, there's no sense not to use them. Which means we have to cut off the plastic barrels per the Pontos instructions.

Attachment:
14 Plastic 16 inch gun barrels.jpg
14 Plastic 16 inch gun barrels.jpg [ 122.78 KiB | Viewed 3437 times ]

Attachment:
15 Cutting off the Barrels.jpg
15 Cutting off the Barrels.jpg [ 92.48 KiB | Viewed 3437 times ]

Now we gather the plastic ends and the brass barrels and head downstairs to the basement and my drill press.

Attachment:
16 Replacement brass barrels.jpg
16 Replacement brass barrels.jpg [ 102.14 KiB | Viewed 3437 times ]

To mount the brass barrels you have to drill a 2mm hole in the plastic ends, and, it has to be centered and straight. The best way to do this is to make a simple fixture. Clamp it down and drill all 9 holes in a jiffy.

Attachment:
17 Drilling 2mm hole in base.jpg
17 Drilling 2mm hole in base.jpg [ 108.65 KiB | Viewed 3437 times ]

Attachment:
18 2mm Holes drilled.jpg
18 2mm Holes drilled.jpg [ 69.4 KiB | Viewed 3437 times ]

The fixture worked like a charm and the brass barrels fit perfectly. We almost don't need to glue them, but better not take chances.

Attachment:
19 Gluing brass barrels to bases.jpg
19 Gluing brass barrels to bases.jpg [ 114.33 KiB | Viewed 3437 times ]

Ready to paint. Fire up the sprayer and airbrush the primer.

Attachment:
20 Guns primed - ready to paint.jpg
20 Guns primed - ready to paint.jpg [ 120.72 KiB | Viewed 3437 times ]

And that's 10 pictures for this post. Let's finish these turrets with post #3.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:50 pm 

OK, this is the 3rd post today and the last one that deals with the big 16" gun turrets. I've been working on these three turrets for over 2 months and have been taking photos as the work progressed.

I probably have to be some kind of an idiot to spend money for brass gun barrels and then paint them so you can't tell they're brass. But you have to admit, they look pretty nice! I always liked the look of the guns on Kelly Quirk's model so I asked him what color paint he used. It's Model Masters Jet Exhaust with a light wash of Tamaya Smoke over it.

Attachment:
21 Guns painted - ready to install.jpg
21 Guns painted - ready to install.jpg [ 84.68 KiB | Viewed 3432 times ]

Installing the gun barrels onto the turret bottoms is a no brainer, however you have to measure carefully to get them the right distance apart so they fit when you mate the turret top to the bottoms.

Attachment:
22 Gun Barrels mounted to turret bottoms.jpg
22 Gun Barrels mounted to turret bottoms.jpg [ 94.55 KiB | Viewed 3432 times ]

The next thing I did was to glue magnets to the insides of the gun turrets. When I glued the deck to the hull, I glued large fender washers to the underside of the deck where the turrets mounted. I did this so that magnets would cling to the washers and would hold the turrets in place while allowing them to rotate. If you don't do this, the brass barrels are heavy enough that the turrets don't stay in.

Attachment:
23 Magnets glued to turret bottoms.jpg
23 Magnets glued to turret bottoms.jpg [ 96.32 KiB | Viewed 3432 times ]
tips

Now we're ready to glue the turrets together. If you're careful it's an easy step but be careful and take your time. Cut the bloomers according to the instructions and slide them over the barrels. I had to open the hole in the bloomers with a rat tale file to get them to fit onto the gun barrels. Be careful not to open the hole too much. You don't want it to fit sloppy. I suggest painting the bloomers in flat black before you fit the ring to the tips of the bloomers.

Attachment:
24 Turret tops & bottoms joined, Bloomers & rings installed..jpg
24 Turret tops & bottoms joined, Bloomers & rings installed..jpg [ 103.07 KiB | Viewed 3432 times ]

Finally! The three 16"gun turrets are finished!!

Attachment:
25 All 3 turrets completed.jpg
25 All 3 turrets completed.jpg [ 173.54 KiB | Viewed 3432 times ]

Attachment:
26 Completed turrets front view.jpg
26 Completed turrets front view.jpg [ 187.76 KiB | Viewed 3432 times ]

Attachment:
27 Completed turrets - back view.jpg
27 Completed turrets - back view.jpg [ 172.2 KiB | Viewed 3432 times ]

Here's some close up shots to show the detail

Attachment:
28 Bloomer Detail.jpg
28 Bloomer Detail.jpg [ 244.12 KiB | Viewed 3432 times ]

Attachment:
29 #2 turret - Starboard Side.jpg
29 #2 turret - Starboard Side.jpg [ 251.83 KiB | Viewed 3432 times ]

Attachment:
30 #2 turret - Rear.jpg
30 #2 turret - Rear.jpg [ 244.28 KiB | Viewed 3432 times ]

I just noticed that I have to straighten up the right hand catwalk hangers. It's wonkey and needs to be straightened.

OK, that's all for now. Take care, y'all

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:15 am 

Larry, thats AWESOME work there! Really neat and tidy.

Keep it up.

Cheers Jabb

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:58 pm 

Good grief, Guys and Gals!

Can you believe that it’s been almost 7 weeks since I posted anything here about my “Monster Mo”! That’s what happens when you are a homeowner and have a wife who is an expert at creating Honey-Do lists. Actually, one of my other hobbies is working in the yard and messing around at landscaping. One of these days I’ll post some shots of our place so you can see that I don’t spend ALL of my time holed up building models!

Actually, I do have a confession to make. There for a while I got a little burned out, if that’s the right word, working on my ship. I decided a break was in order so, what did I do? I started working on an airplane! Yeah, I know – SACRILEGE!!! But I needed something that wasn’t as demanding as this ship so I dug out an old Monogram model of a B-17G bomber that I bought back in the late 70’s and started playing with that. Now, I’m close to a point where I can go back to working on my ship again. And oh yeah, I just bought 2 more bottles of my favorite wine to help me along!!

So, where am I on the USS Missouri? Well, I’ve finished the main deck and all 3 16” rifle turrets so right now I’m working on the next deck up. I’m not sure what the official name of it is – my TFD plans just calls it the “1st Superstructure deck”, so that’s what I’ll refer to it as. I have the waterways on and the Pontos decking laid down (using artist gel medium) and have started adding the details to the sides. I don’t have anything to show yet, so I won’t post any photos of this part just yet. I have removed the cast-in life rings, fire hoses, and vent pipes and in the first two cases, I an using the ones from the Pontos detail kit. As for the vents, I’m making my own, following the instructions from Willie in page 4 of his SS Jorge Juan build thread: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=163082 It’s turning out to be more of an effort than I anticipated, but hey, we’re having fun – right! [Pours another glass of wine!]

Just so you folks won’t get the idea that all I’m going to do in this post is run off at the mouth, I will post some pictures of where I am up to this date. I have several friends on Facebook who keep ragging me on my about my playing with my “Plastic toy boat” so I decided to practice my photography skills and show them what I’ve been up to. Can you believe it – some of them were actually impressed. Fancy that!!

Anyway, I decided to post them here as well, sort of bring you all up to date as to where I’m at now. Some of this may be old hat to a lot of you, and if so, you can go back to looking at your Playboy magazine and ignore the rest of this post. There are actually 26 photos here, so I’m going to have to break this up into 3 separate posts of 10, 10, and 6. Here goes:

Attachment:
Ship32.jpg
Ship32.jpg [ 212.03 KiB | Viewed 3208 times ]

After seeing Hank's (BB62vet) final pictures of his New Jersey in the case. I decided that I wanted a base similar to his. He was gracious enough to give me the dimensions of his wooden base and I'm having someone make it for me. So, what you see hare is just a "working" base and does not depict the final base.

Attachment:
Ship33.jpg
Ship33.jpg [ 176.16 KiB | Viewed 3208 times ]

Attachment:
Ship34.jpg
Ship34.jpg [ 213.13 KiB | Viewed 3208 times ]

Attachment:
Ship35.jpg
Ship35.jpg [ 181.71 KiB | Viewed 3208 times ]

Attachment:
Ship36.jpg
Ship36.jpg [ 187.2 KiB | Viewed 3208 times ]

This next picture shows the one major goof I made (so far) on the ship. I put the stern grab-irons on too early and kept knocking them off. After re-gluing them on for the 4th or 5th time, I saw that all I was doing was making a bad situation worse, so I stopped trying to repair it until later. I'll sand this whole area down, smooth it out, put new grab-irons in, and repaint, but not until I'm done fussing to the point where I won't be knocking them off any more. I also want to replace the name decal on the stern with one in white. Black doesn't stand out very good. So, yes, the stern right now looks crappy!

Attachment:
Ship37.jpg
Ship37.jpg [ 186.15 KiB | Viewed 3208 times ]

Attachment:
Ship38.jpg
Ship38.jpg [ 204.04 KiB | Viewed 3208 times ]

Attachment:
Ship39.jpg
Ship39.jpg [ 235.48 KiB | Viewed 3208 times ]

Attachment:
Ship40.jpg
Ship40.jpg [ 168.77 KiB | Viewed 3208 times ]

Attachment:
Ship41.jpg
Ship41.jpg [ 176.88 KiB | Viewed 3208 times ]

OK, that's 10 photos. Tune in again in a few minutes for Part 2 and 10 more of my amazing photography skills (BARF!!)

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next