The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:22 am 

Hi all,
i'm a new user of this forum. A few months ago I started the new project of HMS Dreadnought (from Zvezda kit with Pontos set and North Star set) with staem tug Volatile.
I was inspired by this photo:

Some pictures of Draednought:

Work still in progress.

Steam tug Volatile (exactly this from the photo) is built from selfmade photoeched parts and evergreen :

Unfortunately, I have a serious problem with color scheme of Volatile. This is my proposition:

I'll be grateful for any comments and suggestions, especially for Volatile color scheme.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:47 am 

That's an excellent tug you're building here!. The upper hull / funnel color would be buff, the wheelhouse dark brown and the ventilator inlets would probably be red.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:24 pm 

:welcome: to modelwarships.com!

Cool Dreadnought-- although she must be on her final journey to the breakers....?

certainly is leaching rust!! :wave_1:
check out this thread also

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=20803

meanwhile onto your paddler-- very very nice PE !!

this is a 1/ 1000 (!! ) scratch built model of a not entirely dissimilar RN steam tug

from this fascinating link:

http://www.modelwarships.com/features/c ... /index.htm

Hmmmnnnn I am not sure about red paddleboxes... these models looks possibly more likely :cool_2:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:35 pm 

I think Jim is correct with the picture she's shown, the civilian tugs used by the RN around Naval bases (can't remember the exact name of the the service) are buff/dark orange superstructure & black hulled. Looking at the picutre in the OP I'd say they were that colour back then as well.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:35 am 

Thanks guys for help.
I think, that best choice is black color for hull and buff for other parts including funnels. PE parts are very useful, but construction of wheelhouse is difficult.
In the meantime I'm working on equipment of Dreadnought. 12 pdr guns from Zvezda kit are are highly simplified. I tried to add a little details:

Searchlights and chain (from North Star Model):

Main guns:

Fore mast:

Dreadnought will be in the configuration from 1907. Maybe rust is so intensive, but photos shows often obvious signs of use of hull.

Sorry for my poor English.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:17 pm 

Excellent work! Very well detailed!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:03 am 

Location: Cologne / Germany, sometimes Poznan/ Poland and Chessington/ UK
Because I have her now on slipway too (together with Mikasa and USS Essex) ...

You wrote that you use Pontos and Northstar, why both? Is at one of them something missing or better / other as at the other one? I have only Pontos Set for the moment...

About rust and weathering in general ... After making thoroughly investigations around ships of all Navies and time frames and even the modern ships of all Navies, I must say that it is always the point of a snapshot. There are times where they look awfull rusty and being in bad shape, but after crew or Yard used new paint, it is away and looking clean ... until next tour through the oceans and next time sailors get the paint job to do etc. Beside this, it is always a matter of personal opinion how much weathering if any at all should be given.
I for myself see it like you have done here and love weathering on ships too. :-)

Cheers,
Christian

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:09 am 

Christian M. wrote:

You wrote that you use Pontos and Northstar, why both? Is at one of them something missing or better / other as at the other one? I have only Pontos Set for the moment...

Cheers,
Christian

Hmm... Actually, I bought two sets of this PE out of curiosity. In my opinion Pontos makes the best upgrade sets. Norths Star Model has an interesting PE, but better is Pontos. NSM set has some unique elements (insignificant). I use in 80-90% parts from Pontos. All of portholes are from NSM, main guns are enhanced by NSM parts.

The weakest element from Pontos set is flexible net for rolled antitorpedo net. It is impossible to rollover proper this net.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:42 am 

sotter wrote:

Hmm... Actually, I bought two sets of this PE out of curiosity. In my opinion Pontos makes the best upgrade sets. Norths Star Model has an interesting PE, but better is Pontos. NSM set has some unique elements (insignificant). I use in 80-90% parts from Pontos. All of portholes are from NSM, main guns are enhanced by NSM parts.

The weakest element from Pontos set is flexible net for rolled antitorpedo net. It is impossible to rollover proper this net.

Ok ... port holes I have in masses in storage :-) ... about a rolled torpedo net, I use aftert tipp from Jim Baumann only a thick round shoelace for this. If structure is not so ok, I bound and stick some gauze around.

;-)

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:13 am 

Yesterday I survived a small disaster. Ready to painting fore mast was fall from shelf (2 m high) and was completely destroyed. After 4 working hours I built a new one.

Works on steam tug is underway. Decak was painted:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:14 am 

ooops! I feel with you! Such an accident I had with my first ship ever built too, but here shelf in storage room broke together in silence when no one was at home. :-(

However, keep up and maybe you can rescue kit? :-)

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:47 pm 

HI Sotter

I am sorry for your accident of mast :shock: but I think we are many to have known such an identical accident
the stean tug is realy original and you made a great work :thumbs_up_1:
good luck for the rest
Nicolas

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:12 pm 

The works of a model master. The wood deck in which you "painted" looks like it was laid down tiny ship workers. Stunning detail.

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/users/James-Guard/user-index.html

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:34 am 

Christian M. wrote:
However, keep up and maybe you can rescue kit? :-)

Fore mast is now in right place, but in poor condition. I can't fix all damages, so fore mast doesn't fit perfectly with rest of the model. Enough my complaints for now, let's see how Dreadnought looks like:

Ship bell - "my precious" - small, beautiful, ready to use:

Structure of flying deck, navigation bridge, fore mast and funnel isn't so easy to assembly.

Windows of admiral's shelter and navigation cabin are made from cigarette box foil (very thin and transparent)

Rolled antitorpedo net... I found no satisfactory solution of this problem. Shoestring - that was a nice idea, but i think best in 1:700 scale. After almost 10 unsuccessful attempts, I did something like that:

Now I have fundamental question about rigging (especially antitorpedo net rigging). I have polyamid thread (diameter 0,1 mm and 0,03 mm). Thread 0,1 mm in this scale = 3,5 centimeter in real world. Sound's good, but looks to thick on model. Thiner thread is almost invisible on model. Hmm... What should I do?"

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:00 am 

Stretched sprue!!!! works well every time

BTW--I answered your query post on tools here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=151846

stretched sprue works really well!

on my old Koenig ( back in 1999/2000 )

Btw

here is shoestring on 1/350 Koenig

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:11 am 

Work on the rigging still continues. I found a digitally colorized photo that confirms colors of steam tug.

BTW, I plan to build Mikasa from Hasegawa in this color scheme (I hope thata Pontos will release PE set for Mikasa).

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:35 am 

Hi Sotter,
I have been following your build with interest and I'm glad you are further along than I'm, you can iron out all the rigging bugs for me :heh:

Your rolled up torpedo net looks very convincing and your steam tug is a joy.

Rob.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:30 am 

Hi Sotter
it all looks fantastic :thumbs_up_1: , I love the tug, really, where did you get the plans from ?
I have a Zvezda Dreadnought and a Hms Bellephoron ( using the Trump model as a base) on the way and would like to add the tug
Thanks for sharing :woo_hoo:

Report this post