The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:10 am 

Being mostly an armor builder, I somehow burnt myself out of doing armor for the time being even while I wasn't doing much of anything. I just lost the enthusiasm. In an attempt to rekindle that, I decided to tackle something a bit out of taste for but what I've been wanting to do for a while: detail Midship Models 1/700 USS Miami.

I have the Gold Medal Models USN Cruisers and Destroyers set, Tom's Modelworks Inclined Ladders, White Ensign Models Doors and Hatches and some sets from 3D Model Parts, specifically the 40mm quad and dual Bofors mounts, 20mm Oerlikons, the 5in/38 turrets and Mk37 and Mk51 directors. I have a set of Verlinden figures as well but I'm not sure if I will use them. I also had to buy another set of doors and hatches (meant for Japanese ships) because I almost ran out of usable doors from the USN set. Now onto the work so far...

So far I've spent about 22 hours (according to what I remember from the times I was up; 2 days I was up until 4) just attaching doors, hatches and ladders along with the research involved in finding the actual location of the items. More than half of the time spent was on research. Right now I have a few subassemblies made but none of the decks are glued to the hull or each other yet. Most of the doors that I could find in the pictures (I'm using NavSource as my main research tool) I replaced or added. Ladders between decks have been added/replaced as well. I've also added Ladders to the turrets where necessary and I also cut and placed those circular extrusions on the turret sides. I plan on eventually adding some 40mm and 20mm ammo bins as well. Enough of my talking... Time for pictures (do not take these pictures as the final product of the day(s), I've added more since they were taken). Also, I apologize for the quality of the pictures, they were taken at night and I don't have a true photography set up. The 7th picture is a hawsepipe I made from a piece of sprue. I tried forming it from copper wire and then dipping it in CA but it didn't work well. I'm going to try to cast a 2nd as I'm not confident I can cut another one similar.

Any comments or questions welcome.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:10 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing more!

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:15 pm 

This was one of my favorite kits that I ever built. Glad to see it getting a fresh take with some upgrades. Did you go with the reduced scale 5inchers from 3D Modelparts or did you use the 1/700 ones?

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:02 pm 

I went with the reduced scale. It was suggested by the company and I see why. The reduced scale ones are the same size as the kit's 5 inch turrets. I'll check against my Trumpeter Essex but I think the Trumpeter's turrets are larger. Can't really tell all too well. But I have another update:

I've been working a bit on the Kingfisher. I have a few more pieces yet to do but overall it's pretty firmly there. I've also attached one of the funnel grills. That hasn't been as smooth as the rest of the build so far. But it's done. I also finally got the other hawsepipe made and attached. The good thing about having a parent who's a dentist is free molding materials. If anyone needs any 1/700 hawsepipes to replace a kits one or add to a kit I can mold them. I still have the mold. You'll just need to sand the cast down to where you need it and remove some flash.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:33 pm 

New update. You might need your magnifiers for this one. On the forecastle, I'm not sure what it's called but I got it on a few more hatches on as well and the circles/pipes (I'm sorry for all you who live and breath ship building and who know all of the terms for what these are, like I said, I'm a newbie in ships) are on and hollowed out. I'm not going to hollow the hawsepipes out right now though. I might go into them a bit to give the impression of hollowness, but not all the way.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:48 pm 

Haven't updated this in a while. Time to provide one.

I will be getting a different set of antennas from Lionroar. I'm getting it mostly for the SK antenna. I find the GMM one confusing to build. Other than that I will probably use some other GMM antennas. On top of that I bought a set of anchors and chocks, boat davits, both from Lionroar, and another set of doors and hatches. The front two on my build are wrong but those where the closest in style to the correct ones. I'll be replacing them. And I also bought a hold-and-fold finally! I also designed a set of hawsepipes on the computer and had uploaded them to Shapeways to sell. If you want more info you can message me.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:10 am 

Ok. I got some new photoetch. Lionroar Radars, Boat Davits and anchors/"cable holes". I already replaced all the chocks on the kit with the Lionroar ones and built a few anchors. I also drilled out the hawsepipes holes and scraped off the molded on anchor chain. I'll get some pictures up tomorrow after I attach the brackets for the side boat davits. I also replaced 2 hatches from a new FStar doors and hatches set. I plan on acquiring a Flyhawk portholes set. If I can I'll start adding those on as well. But first, I believe I need to replace the lip around the anchor chain openings as I kinda mashed them while drilling out those holes and cutting off the chains... Eventually I'll get this done.

Report this post