The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:01 pm 

:thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:03 am 

Jeff Sharp wrote:
The tough part is still ahead of me. I have to figure out how I'm going to show all the port side damage to her.

Very nice - and brave - work. In that vein, go with the old "in for a penny, in for a pound" line of thinking, and just set her on fire like the real thing. :heh:

Seriously - do you have access to another kit? Maybe cast some resin copies of those parts so you have wiggle room if things go awry.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:24 am 

No, I don't have another kit. I was really hoping that a plastic version of the big five would have been available by now. It would be much easier to create battle damage with plastic than the resin I have now. But, I have a pretty good idea how I'm going to tackle it. A saw and some styrene should do the trick.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:22 pm 

Hi Jeff:

How is this project coming along? I referred back to your Arizona build as I had to make some repairs to mine after the move. Hope all is well.

Mark

On the bench:

1/200 USS Enterprise, CV-6

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:09 am 

Hi Mark,
Sadly not coming along at all, but this time of the year I always get re-energized to do a PH subject so I'm getting the urge to start back up on it. I was praying that 3D cage masts would come available but it doesn't look like that is going to happen anytime soon so I'll just forge on with the PE masts.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:57 pm 

Hi Jeff:

It certainly is/was a robust project. Looking forward to see how you do. Repairs on the AZ are almost finished and then on to something else.
Take care

On the bench:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:54 pm 

Ok, time to get back at this project.

I am very unhappy with the look of the cone shaped cage masts that the photo etch set presents but currently this is my only option.

I keep holding out hope that a more accurate 3D printed version will someday be produced. Until that day, I decided to see if I could scratch build one. I quickly realized that even in 1/350 scale this would be a very labor intensive task and a difficult process.
Instead of building from scratch, I decided to try to manipulate the cone PE mast to the proper shape.
I found a decent pic of California's main mast. I printed it and resized it to 1/350 scale. Here is how it looks against the cone mast.

Not a huge difference but noticeable all the same.

My first step was to create a gig from the picture. This really shows the difference in shape.

Now with a little creative cutting, my initial effort looks like this.

I am very happy with the initial results. It is a very rough draft and needs quite a bit of cleaning up but I know now that it is VERY possible for an accurate photo etch cage mast set to be mass produced. Getting the PE manufacturers to listen to me is another story.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:00 am 

Hi Jeff:

This is coming along nicely. I can see what you mean about the cone shape, hopefully you can come up with a good hour glass shape and get the PE Manufacturers to give it a shot.

On the bench:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:26 pm 

Made a bit more progress on Tenn's main mast. The fighting top I will be using is a 3D printed one from Steve Larsen aka Model Monkey. It is more accurate than the top supplied with the kit.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:41 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

:big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:26 pm 

Wow - impressive work.

Jeff Sharp wrote:
I keep holding out hope that a more accurate 3D printed version will someday be produced.

I heard at last years IPMS USA National convention that a 1/350 cage mast WILL be produced. Maybe this year.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:19 pm 

:faint: Please let me know how you did that?? I can see the way you cut the base, but how did you achieve the cone at the top? It is amazing what a difference that makes. Looking forward to more.

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:53 pm 

taskforce48 wrote:
:faint: Please let me know how you did that?? I can see the way you cut the base, but how did you achieve the cone at the top? It is amazing what a difference that makes. Looking forward to more.

Matt

Hi Matt,
It's a little too difficult to try to explain in words. I have to do another one for the West Virginia so I'll post a step by step process for that one. Achieving the straight tube shape for the top 1/3 of the mast is by far the most difficult part. It requires a LOT of cutting. I used both the PE forward mast and the PE main mast to achieve this look. So needless to say, you need an extra set.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:10 pm 

Out with the old and in with the new. It's not perfect, but it's a far cry better than Mr. Cone! I have the one yardarm hanging down, just like the real one, to show damage caused by the bomb that struck it.

Last edited by Jeff Sharp on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:11 am 

Hi Jeff:

Yes indeed, an improvement over "Mr. Cone" to be sure. The yard arm hanging is a nice touch and the truck looks mighty good as well.

Looking forward to the next update.

On the bench:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:49 am 

You're doing an AMAZING job here, keep up the good work.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:42 pm 

Here is a step by step process on how I created my cage mast. First, you will need both the main mast and the forward mast for this. Also it is very important to create a gig like the one I have.

Step 1:
Cut off the bottom three sections of the mainmast.

Step 2:
Along the new bottom, count 3 of the vertical bars then make a cut straight up 3 sections. Should look like this.

Step 3:
Repeat this process across the entire bottom. When done it should look like this.

Step 4:
Shape your mast and slip it over your gig. Flare out the bottom sections until they are at the correct size for the base.

Note: You have plenty of scrap left over to fill in the voided spaces at the bottom if you wish.

Step 5:
Cut off the bottom 3 sections of the forward mast.

Step 6:
Just like the main mast, count over 3 bars then cut. This time you are going to cut all the way up leaving only the top horizontal ring intact. It is important that you cut out the entire portion of the horizontal rings in the section that is cut. Each section should look clean with no pieces of the ring sticking out.
In this picture I bent it open more for illustrative purposes.

Step 7:
You can now shape it into a rectangular shape like this. There will be a little bit of over lapping but not much.

Step 8:
Shape this section into a perfect tube shape.

Note: Before you glue the 2 pieces together scratch build and install your ladder platforms inside the mast. I put a platform at both the top and the bottom of this section for added support.

Step 9:
Slide it over the top of your gig and you are ready to detail your new cage mast.

Good Luck!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:32 pm 

Time to make some serious progress on this project now. Tennessee is nearly complete. Thanks again Steve for producing the fighting tops! I love them!

Time to start the dismantling process on West Virginia and trying to make her look like this with all the battle damage.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:11 pm 

Jeff,

Truly inspirational as usual. I think the universe is programmed to me, so just about the time I mangle a couple dozen PE cage masts they will be realized in 3D.

Looking amazing so far, look forward to seeing the WeeVee

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:28 pm 

Jeff,

Looking great! That's quite an improvement over the old masts.

3D Model Parts makes a 1/700 Cage mast for the Big 5 ships, maybe it would be possible for him to scale them up to 1/350? I know you've already got Tennessee done but if he makes them you could get one for WeeVee. Just a thought!

Keep up the good work.

1:200 U.S.S. Arizona
1:350 U.S.S. Chicago SSN-721

Future Projects:
All of them!

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next