The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:58 am 

Your off to a good start. This is a big project.

How close to accurate are you trying to achieve?

James

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:39 pm 

Hi James, thanks. I trying to be somewhat realistic, but with my limited skillset I'm not going crazy. I have Stillwell's book and Sumrall's book. Between those and the Navy history site I have found many things. Not sure what you call the beams with pulleys on the turrets, but have found they were on the Iowa at commissioning and had natural decks, when they became blue im not sure.

The problem I have is I could have done 1945, however, she had the enclosed bridge at that time. That said, I have been drilling some portholes and adding the Pontos brows and some with the Pontos closed along with loading brackets and firehoses with whatever else I can add. I'm considering the Eduard hull plates, not sure how big of a deal that would be. I'm doing deck blue on all the non wood areas.

Any feedback is always appreciated, I know of my mistakes, but I'm sure that's the same with everyone. I'm sure by the time I finish this, I'll be ready for new challenges and I'm sure my skills will improve. I am getting much better with the airbrush as well as PE. I'm sure everyone has had that learning curve.

Anyway, I'm going to stick with it and finish it. My wife thinks I'm crazy for the small parts and PE, but it keeps me busy and out of her hair.

Salisbury, NC
USS Iowa BB61 1943 post refit
1:200 Trumpeter w/ Pontos detail up with deck
USS Missouri BB63 1945 1:350

In planning T2-SE-A2 tanker AO-82

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:51 pm 

Here is a photo reference of the Iowa that might be of some help.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=158893

Also here is a link to Navsource if don't already know of that site
http://www.navsource.org/

As commissioning her bridge is very different than the open bridge she carried through most of the war

The reason I asked about the accuracy is that she had one director tub on the rear part of the funnel and another on the forward part at that time.

I don't want to sound critical, just want to offer you the information I have collected.
I have tons of photos that I can send you if you need them.

James

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:59 am 

James, your not critical. Thanks for your comments. I openly asked for opinions and pointers and with that have agreed to constructive criticism. I have the link for the nav website which has helped tremendously. I will bookmark your thread on pictures also for future reference.

I guess I'm at a crossroad of attempting to try some scratch building or go with what I've got. I did not set off to be 100% accurate, but wanted to experience the joy of building a quality model from a kit and expanding my skills. That said, I have to make some additional decisions on the correctness for the period in question. I have marveled at the quality of workmanship and tenacious attention to detail and correctness.

At any rate I will persiver and continue onward towards completion. Please feel free to keep the comments coming. As I stated Im new to this level of modeling but will strive to be worthy of your comradery(sp).

Salisbury, NC

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:02 am 

I don't know of anyone having built an Iowa or New Jersey as commissioned.
It would be a unique and interesting model. Yours is coming along very well.

Scratch building isn't too difficult. Its all the research that you have to do to be able to build the part.

If you need any information just ask
You can post here or on the Calling all Ships / Iowa Class board and someone will surely be able to help you.
There are a lot of people here that know about the Iowa's

James

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:39 am 

After additional research and feedback it appears this go around will not be as commissioned, while it would be a great project I don't have all the required documentation as of yet to do so. After reviewing information it seems the present kit is closer to after the post refit in July of 1943 as this is when she went from 15 to 19 Bofors, 20mm from 60 to 52. There were many other changes during her second refit as discussed in James M thread http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=158893. The only quandary I have now is when her decks were painted blue.

I'm working on masking the boot now and having marked it something does not sit well. I guess I'll leave it for a while and go back and see where I screwed up. Marking with a pencil and height guage can be tricky around the stearn area. While the boot height may be correct the width at the stearn is a lot more than midships which makes sense. I just need to verify this is correct prior to painting. Could be what Hank's post elated to the boot with in the stearn area was a tad less, while a 32nd may not seem a lot in height of boot, the width could increase an unrealistic look.

Otherwise, things are progressing still have 3 more of the gun directors to do, the antenna arrays are not too bad, but the hatches and covers are fun to connect the hinges, a few utters of obscenities did not seem to help. Wife thought and still thinks I'm nuts and will be more of a raving lunatic than I am.

Anyway till the next installment.

Salisbury, NC

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:52 pm 

Her decks were painted prior to her trip into Boston Naval Annex.
See the picture of her in Bostons drydock.
When she left Boston her deck were still painted blue
http://navsource.org/archives/01/pdf/016105j.pdf

She would get her open bridge installed at this time and this is the configuration she would spend most of the war in.
She has some modifications at New York Navy yard for her trip to Tehran but those would be removed when she returned to New York

James

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:25 pm 

Thanks James. I had felt her decks were blue. I have used the website you mentioned many times. I also read today in Sumrall's book the beams on the turrets were actually tempory for loading the 16 in shells through the deck hatches. This explains why sometimes they are shown and sometimes they are not in pictures. Since I took the time to drill the Pontos turret stainless to attached said beams will help locate the hatch covers.

I did finally get the decks on the hull, but first I added a piece of plastic between the anchor chain holes and painted black. I did not wish to be able to see light from side to side. I did add some support from the bottom of the Keck to the hull for added strength. The stern grab rungs will be installed post paint and the Iowa decal.

Thanks to all for the help and support.

Salisbury, NC

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:46 pm 

Here's where I'm at as of now. Working on painting boot now on hull. Finished tubs 7,9,11 strbd. Going to try airbrushing some deck scrap with deck blue as I'm almost ready to lay down the bridge deck. All I have left on the forward funnel is the fore yard. Worried if I mount it too soon, I'll screw that up and don't want that. Hank does not know yet, but I may need to visit for a lesson on rigging. All gun directors are finished, mk3 radar except for painting. Will be posting pictures soon. Playing with my good Nikon which does not like close ups. Will need to try my old manual 50mm Nikkor lens. Short of that still can use my nexus 7 camera which does OK.

Till the next installment.

Salisbury, NC

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:37 am 

Shot the deck with thinned deck blue I use for airbrushing. Covered well, little or no grain showing. I tried a small area of a small piece that would be hidden anyway, but I seem to lose the detail of the etched wood deck. I hate to ruin a good natural deck. I'm starting to consider masking and shooting the molded in deck with deck blue. I'm not sure how much more to thin, or brush it on and wipe off like a stain. I'm also wondering if I should use a sanding sealer first and then brush or wipe on then wipe off excess to get an even looking blue deck but maintain the details.

Hull is painted except for the haze grey above the blue in the bow and stern areas. The boot looks pretty darn good if I say so myself. I do feel a slight difference of levels and wonder if I should wetsand and then shoot flat laquer or leave it. Once it's in the display case I'm not sure if it will be noticed. My luck if I sand, I'll screw up and need to start over.

Any comments or ideas are welcome.

Salisbury, NC

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:25 pm 

Scott56

How about some pics of your deck and hull?

I originally tried the Pontos blue deck but found it too blue and the wrong shade of blue so I scrapped it and purchsed the teak deck which I darkened a bit with a light shot of Tamiya smoke and some dullcote as it's too yellow. Wonder how hard it is for Pontos to get the deck colors right?

I avoided the haze grey on the bow by painting the entire hull navy blue as she appeared on Navy Day in New York Oct 1945 and that let me use the teak deck as the crew holy stoned it on the way back from the Pacific and at that time they had painted the 5" turret tops back to haze grey so that avoided lots more masking to make them deck blue. For me the least masking the better as I can't seem to mask two things the same way twice.

Lloyd

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:57 pm 

Lloyd, your in luck, here are some pictures though not the greatest of hull and bridge deck and coloring of deck to deck blue. I tried airbrushing and felt I lost the deck details, in a moment of brilliance or in a last ditch effort I fell back to a ceramics technique, dry brushing. I used my deck blue formula of Tamiya acrylics, not sure how accurate it is, but I think its close. 5 parts XF 50 Field Blue and 2 parts XF2 Flat White and then cut with 7ML denatured alcohol.
Attachment:
deckpaint 1.jpg
deckpaint 1.jpg [ 99.65 KiB | Viewed 1143 times ]

Dries pretty quick. I used a #4 square shader brush that's around 35 years old. Anyway, I think its looking pretty good, and if I'm light in an area, after drying with a blow dryer, I can even it out.
I have a picture of the hull awaiting Haze Grey.
Attachment:
hullpaint1.jpg
hullpaint1.jpg [ 34.39 KiB | Viewed 1143 times ]

Hank, as you can see, I have a void of wooden deck outside of F25 & F26. Pontos had some PE to add there as a waterway, nut it also has a floater net basket on top, so that may work out OK. If Im not going to use the waterways, I could probably glue the rails prior to painting and putting the deck down though, it would probably be better to attach the railings after the deck. Hank are you using the Pontos stanchions in addition to the rails? Anyway here are the pictures.
Attachment:
bridgedeck1.jpg
bridgedeck1.jpg [ 59.36 KiB | Viewed 1143 times ]

Attachment:
bridgedeck2.jpg
bridgedeck2.jpg [ 46.33 KiB | Viewed 1143 times ]

As always, comments are always welcome.

Salisbury, NC

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:21 pm 

Scott

That looks more like the deck blue it should be rather than Pontos's attempt at the glaring blue they use and you can still see the outlines where the deck fittings go. I even tried lightly sanding their blue deck and wasn't impressed with the result so I replaced it with the teak decks.

I was going to say I don't think there was any haze grey on the hull sides at the stern but I just found a picture of Iowa from directly astern on Navsource where the haze grey even extends about halfway up on the two 40mm gun tubs at the stern. Funny I never noticed that before but still glad I chose to model Missouri just after war's end so the hull was all Navy Blue as it's lots less masking.

Lloyd

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:54 pm 

Lloyd, yes the Iowa had haze grey everywhere above as measured from the funnels amidships. Thanks on the deck blue, that's what I used on my Missouri 1945 early. I found the stearn area where they held the surrender ceremonies was the only area hollystoned.

I may work on a light airbrush setting to paint the big areas of the decks. My second attempt at the port side came out better yet. Based on what you said, I'm glad I did not get the blue deck from Pontos. I'm not sure whose directions are worse, Pontos or Trumpeter. Guess I'll have to refer back to navsource. It seems midships at the bridge level is a pain putting it nicely.

!maybe over the weekend I'll have part of the fore funnel assy finished. Have a ton of finished items tucked away, ready for a home.

Salisbury, NC

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:26 pm 

Here is a sneak peak of the fore bridge and funnel assy. More to follow after the weekend.
Attachment:
frontfunnelassy1.jpg
frontfunnelassy1.jpg [ 60.75 KiB | Viewed 1130 times ]

Attachment:
frontfunnelassy2.jpg
frontfunnelassy2.jpg [ 42.42 KiB | Viewed 1130 times ]

Its about time for bed. I'm beat, manned a public affairs booth for Coast Guard Auxiliary most of the day at Lake Norman.

Salisbury, NC

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:49 pm 

Nice going Scott!! And thanks for the mix of paint for the deck. I hope you don't mind is I copy it. I like how yours turned out. I haven't had much of a chance to work on mine lately, but I'm hoping that will change in the near future.

BTW, Hank said the waterways were below the deck surface. I'm going to lay down the waterways first and then put the deck on top. That way the waterways will be below the deck surface by the thickness of the wooden deck material.

Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:58 pm 

steinerman wrote:
BTW, Hank said the waterways were below the deck surface. I'm going to lay down the waterways first and then put the deck on top. That way the waterways will be below the deck surface by the thickness of the wooden deck material.

I agree, it makes sense. Guess I may as well paint the whole fret. BTW did you see my review on the acid etch primer? It's kick ass if I say so myself. Hope I don't get in trouble for that. LOL.

Salisbury, NC

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:27 pm 

Boy, the last few days have been brutal working on the Iowa. Not sure what deck I on, but I have finished everything from the bridge deck up and forward of the fore funnel. Gun directors are on only things missing are 2 search lights 4 20mm and 2 Bofors.

I currently am working on 8 Bofors now, and since these aren't the Veteran's they take a while longer. I have Bofors tubs 7,8,9,10,11,12 built and painting now. Larry has not had the fun yet of the tubs. They are a bear! Ive been working on 3 since around noon and am almost done with the other side's ladders which is 9. You almost need to be a contortionist to get the racks in the tubs. Then ya have the fun of painting the blue deck with a brush.

The good news is I do have all the grab rungs finished except the rear of the hull, which is being painted and the 5 inchers. They were not as bad as I expected. Using the variable dremal worked great and only broke 2.

I'm actually looking forward to working on the Bofors and 20s. I have been doing them around four or five at a time. Anyway, that's it for now. I'll post some pictures next time.

Salisbury, NC

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:35 pm 

Been a busy couple of days. Had some kind of 24hr bug yesterday so did not get much done. Finished up a few loose ends, still have some additional to finish up before I can call the super structure finished. Here are a couple of pictures of the superstructure.
Attachment:
superstructure1.jpg
superstructure1.jpg [ 72.46 KiB | Viewed 1011 times ]

Attachment:
superstructure2.jpg
superstructure2.jpg [ 98.84 KiB | Viewed 1011 times ]

I set the rear funnel on temporarily for pictures, that will go on last as will the foreyard as I know I will bump or hit them. Then I will be, well we wont go there.
Attachment:
hullpainted1.jpg
hullpainted1.jpg [ 42.97 KiB | Viewed 1011 times ]

Attachment:
hullpainted2.jpg
hullpainted2.jpg [ 57.43 KiB | Viewed 1011 times ]

Finished painting the hull, have a few minor touch ups here and there. I was especially happy with my taping job at the rear Bofors tubs. I feel pretty good about the boot, in the rear picture it looks wide. It is a tad wider, but that is because I was taking the picture a lower angle. I did scratch build the shaft couplings out of round sprue, though they are very easy parts.
That's about it for now, I may take the weekend off and work in the yard or on the car.

Salisbury, NC

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:22 pm 

Looking really good.

What paints / colors did you use on the hull?

James

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next