The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:56 am 

Well your going to either hate me or like where I send you, or both. On a personal note I do like that BlueishGrey, thats what I was going to go for mine
untill I looked up Don Pardue's USS Arizona. This is replacement model that has been sitting in the memorial at the start of the 60's. So please Google it
and go to it and have good look(Keep something to throw-up in) at a horrible Bluepukemeditrainian.
I'm going to just mix a color I like, similar to yours but lighter and thats it.
Getting drunk might make the mixing of the color that much more fun. And I don't drink anymore.

Willing to do Commissions, Wooden ships as well, building models for over 35 years.
Please respond to E-mail in Profile.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:28 pm 

Peter,

Thanks for stopping by. I've seen pictures of the old model in the Arizona museum, and it was a truly horrible color. I'm glad that even though there is still debate between 5D and 5S that those colors both look good and that ugly color is out of contention.

I took many pictures of the model that is currently in the museum when I was there in December, I've been using them as reference for details on my build.

Speaking of my model, I've finally gotten back to working on her. I've been on a hiatus working on my Mustang, but I can no longer bear to be outside in the garage this time of the year. For everyone's entertainment, the predicted high temperature today is 120+ *F in Yuma.

I've made a little progress on things, but did not get any pictures yet since my memory card was left at work accidentally. I was working on the main mast details like installing some of the Bob's Buckles eyelets for the rigging. I'm still reacquainting myself with what needs to be done next, so I may go back to jumping around while I get things figured out.

I'll post some pictures in the next few days once I have some worth posting. Thanks for stopping by!

1:200 U.S.S. Arizona
1:350 U.S.S. Chicago SSN-721

Future Projects:
All of them!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:07 pm 

Well, I had intended to get on today to post a few pictures of my progress, but to my surprise I've been hit with the PhotoBucket Plague I had no clue about. So instead I'm taking all of my photos off of there and finding another hosting site to post them. I'll be going through my threads to fix them so they're not completely useless.

Will have progress pictures soon.

F*** Photobucket :mad_1: :censored_2: :mad_2:

Future Projects:
All of them!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:58 pm 

Good luck Nelson. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Underway:
1) 1/350 USS Enterprise CV-6
2) 1/200 USS Arizona

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:58 am 

DeaD_Peter wrote:
Well your going to either hate me or like where I send you, or both. On a personal note I do like that BlueishGrey, thats what I was going to go for mine
untill I looked up Don Pardue's USS Arizona. This is replacement model that has been sitting in the memorial at the start of the 60's. So please Google it
and go to it and have good look(Keep something to throw-up in) at a horrible Bluepukemeditrainian.
I'm going to just mix a color I like, similar to yours but lighter and thats it.
Getting drunk might make the mixing of the color that much more fun. And I don't drink anymore.

Don Pruel's model was based on his current and valid research. Keep in mind he had six months to complete this model--for a PAYING client, so he didn't have the luxury of researching for years before coming to the final model. As far as the 5S scheme-it isn't based on his own artistic license, but research he has made which I won't delve into now. The Japanese happened to make the raid at a transitional time for the camouflage paint schemes, so obviously not all ships were compliant with the published directives due to paint on hand, time, etc. Most of the ships at Pearl were in 5D with exception those who came out of the yards, etc. Not all hade their decks painted, so each ship has to be addressed for her particular appearance on 7 December. The Arizona, if modeled from Nov-Dec 41, was most likely 5S. Prior to that was 5D..As far as the correct tone/brightness, that's a modeler's call based on color compression, etc.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:33 pm 

Yeah, ok, that does make sense, but I still don't like the color Arizona was going to be shortly after Dec 7/41, if that event didn't happen.
And I hate the color that is on the model that is displayed now in the museum, so I'm going to mix my own color similar to what Wedgie01
has painted on his ship that is a little bit lighter with a little bit of blue in it. I'm not really going for accuracy on this one this time, I haven't
even started building the ship yet. I'm about 2 months into a 3 ship commission of the 1/200 Mikasa with Pontos detail sets and have plans to
do other things after these ships are done so it's going to be quite some time before I get around to starting the Arizona, it's too bad this
commission is 3 ships, if it was 1 ship I would pull the Arizona out and work on both ships at the same time. But there is no way I'm going to work
on 4-1/200 ships at the same time, not only do I not have the space, my brain does not have the space. I'll be starting a WIP on those soon.
Thanks for your comment though. I do still wonder about the color of the decks above the boat deck. I think Jeff Sharp has the correct
color for that deck, and the top deck is a lighter grey, so that leaves 2 decks unknown, bridge deck and the one under it.

Willing to do Commissions, Wooden ships as well, building models for over 35 years.
Please respond to E-mail in Profile.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:57 pm 

Yeah Peter I've seen some too blue 5S examples. 5S was blue comparatively to 5D but still had some dark gray. I am pleased with my color choice of paints for 5S, which is the small jar of Testors Flat Sea Blue, not Model Master. On larger models I stay away from mixing my own batch since getting the colors to match between applications can be tough unless you mix a whole lot, which you won't do until you get a sample mix first. Too much hassle, and there are PLENTY of paints to choose from. I match the color I want, not the name. My model is in the 2015-2017 group build. That's the old Testor color that has been around a long time..It's interesting that in some photos it's more blue than others..
The Arizona's steel decks were expected to be all deck blue by 12/41, which really is a slate grey. All the exterior linoleum was removed by then. Eventually the interior linoleum was removed from the ships due to fire hazard. Model Master has a good color for the deck blue-I believe it's called Sea Blue, but it isn't the older style jar Flat Sea Blue. I'll get you the number when I return home..

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:33 pm 

Hello Everyone,

I have pictures to upload, once I figure out how to get Flickr to work I will have some updates to post. Progress has been made, the superstructure is going up!

Future Projects:
All of them!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:40 pm 

Everyone,

Shortly after I posted I finally got it to work!

Here are some of my most recent progress photos.

One of the antenna braces (at least that's what I call them) was broken beyond repair on the sprue, so I had to build one. Not perfect, but close enough that it won't stand out once painted.

ImageIMG_6444 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

Next item I tackled was getting all of the hatches on the deck. I opted to keep them all closed since I wasn't doing a diorama or anything.

ImageIMG_6447 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

After that I got all of the chocks and other deck fittings painted. My chocks are modified to work with the raised waterway and so that the Degaussing Cables will be able to fit under them. Fun fact, I was on USS Iowa a few weeks ago and her chocks are built the same way I modeled mine.

ImageIMG_6450 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6611 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6453 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6455 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6494 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6461 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

Next up I started fitting the main superstructure. Going up by each level fitting all railings and details as I go.

ImageIMG_6614 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6617 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

That is where I'm at currently. I'll keep working on the superstructure for now, the parts are safer on the ship than on the bench. I need to go back and add the degaussing cables, but I'll do that towards the end. Once the superstructure is done I'll probably jump on the main artillery or the ships boats and cradles.

More progress to come! I'm still going to go back and fix this thread so it will be useful again.

Cheers,

Future Projects:
All of them!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:51 pm 

Looking really sharp. Looking forward to seeing more progress!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:51 am 

Hey Nelson,

Looking very good there bud. Same primary colour as my AZ; I think it looks great. I see you are a man of extreme patience and skill and have modified the cleats. I would love to have done that, but just think I would have been successful.

I hope to finish my hull this weekend and install my main decking. If I do what I plan, I'll post some pictures up on Sunday night.

Underway:
2) 1/200 USS Arizona

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:26 am 

Brett M wrote:
Looking really sharp. Looking forward to seeing more progress!

Thanks!

Wedgie01 wrote:
Hey Nelson,

Looking very good there bud. Same primary colour as my AZ; I think it looks great. I see you are a man of extreme patience and skill and have modified the cleats. I would love to have done that, but just think I would have been successful.

The cleats actually weren't too bad to modify. Before adding the waterway I cut off the locating tabs from the bottom of the chocks and glued it into the hull to fill the opening and sanded smooth. Then I added the waterway to the hull. For the chocks I set my NWSL cutter up to make pieces of the same evergreen strip I made the waterway with and glued them to one side of the chocks. Then simply glued them onto the hull in their respective locations. All in all the longest part was adding the waterway to the hull. The rest was pretty quick work.

Thanks for checking in!

Future Projects:
All of them!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:27 am 

Maybe I'm not following along well.....but what's the waterway you added to the hull? :thinking:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:33 pm 

Brett M wrote:
Maybe I'm not following along well.....but what's the waterway you added to the hull? :thinking:

Brett,

Hard to see since my thread is still broken haha. If you look at the picture of the chock from Iowa I posted you can see that the outside edge of the hull is raised and there is a gap before the wood deck starts. The point of these on ships is to let the water run off the decks and into the waterways, then into scuppers (drains) to exit the ship.

There is no waterway molded onto the hull of the Arizona kit, so I added one to the top of the main deck, fore deck, and boat deck. When this is combined with the wood deck I put on it is an accurate representation of how the edges of the decks would have looked on the real ship. Once I get my thread fully repaired it will be more obvious when you see the other pictures.

Future Projects:
All of them!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:45 pm 

Hi Nelson,
Looking good! One quick note on the degaussing cables. I was able to verify that there were 2 cables per side and they were stacked one on top of the other. I got that wrong on my kit by laying them side by side on the deck. I would post a pick of the actual cables but Photobucket wants my money to do it.
Hope this helps.
Jeff

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:40 pm 

hondaman117 wrote:
Brett M wrote:

Brett,

Hard to see since my thread is still broken haha. If you look at the picture of the chock from Iowa I posted you can see that the outside edge of the hull is raised and there is a gap before the wood deck starts. The point of these on ships is to let the water run off the decks and into the waterways, then into scuppers (drains) to exit the ship.

There is no waterway molded onto the hull of the Arizona kit, so I added one to the top of the main deck, fore deck, and boat deck. When this is combined with the wood deck I put on it is an accurate representation of how the edges of the decks would have looked on the real ship. Once I get my thread fully repaired it will be more obvious when you see the other pictures.

That made perfect sense, thanks for the explanation! :)

I know the pain of broken picture links too.......

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:55 pm 

Jeff Sharp wrote:
Hi Nelson,
Looking good! One quick note on the degaussing cables. I was able to verify that there were 2 cables per side and they were stacked one on top of the other. I got that wrong on my kit by laying them side by side on the deck. I would post a pick of the actual cables but Photobucket wants my money to do it.
Hope this helps.
Jeff

Nelson, look in the upper right hand corner of this 1941 screen shot. Notice the degaussing cables stacked on top of each other.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:57 am 

Hey Nelson,

I was just going back over your posts, and noticed this photo of your painted superstructure parts.
Attachment:
AZ superstructure.jpg
AZ superstructure.jpg [ 73.59 KiB | Viewed 1921 times ]

In respect to the aft bulkhead you have squared off the two openings for the aft tripod mast. Can you expand on why you've done that for me. I seem to recall seeing something from Jeff Sharp's build which modified this area, but as you've pointed out, not all Jeff's pictures can be accessed any more.

I've painted my parts, but haven't begun assembly yet; still building/modifying all the casemate guns. So if there's some additional mods I need to make before assembly, it would be great if you could advise.

Many thanks,

Underway:
2) 1/200 USS Arizona

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:17 am 

Both sides had an opening like this.

I don't wish to hijack Nelson's build log with my pics so this will be the only one I post here. I will be more than happy to repost specific pics on MY build log. Just send me an IM or an Email of what specific pic you would like to see. I wish I could repost all of the pics now but with 23 pages of dialog and pics, it will take forever to accomplish that.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:40 am 

Jeff,

Thanks for clarifying the degaussing cables for me! I have not started to install them yet, and now can be sure I'll have them right. Wonder if there's an easy way to represent the braces I can see on the cables... hahaha

And feel free to post as many pictures as you want on my thread, I have no problem sharing if it means I or somebody else can benefit from it. I understand your pain on the pictures, It took me about 3 days to get my thread repaired and I only have 6 pages and a fraction of the pictures yours does.

I've been trying to think of an easy way to get around the PB plague without paying them. My only thought is making the album on PB public so anybody with a link can see it, and it would be up to the individual to figure out where the pictures belong in the thread. Not exactly a solution, but an option haha.

Thanks again!

Future Projects:
All of them!

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next