The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:25 am 

Very dear friends,

I am opening a new thread in this forum to introduce my new project to you all: the destroyer D25 Jorge Juan, that served with distinction in our Spanish Navy for many years, first as a member of the Desron 21, and then as a high seas patrol ship, assigned to the Ferrol Division.

She served with so high distintion in WW2 that I cannot resist to write some brief notes about her.

Jorge Juan was one of the units of the second series of the prolific Fletcher class, one of those that received the squared bridge. Of course she was not born as Jorge Juan, but as USS McGowan DD678, having the name of counter admiral Samuel McGowan, a brilliant logistics administrator.

As it was the case in WW2, her construction was meteoric, and lasted six mothns sharp: keel on June 30th. 1943 in the Federal Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, Kearny, New Jersey; she was launched on Nov. 14th. with the assistance of Mrs. Rose McGowan-Cantey, sister of the late Cadm. McGowan, and commisioned on Dec. 20th.1943. She fought with distintion in the war, with a climax in the torpedo attack against the Japanese fleet in the famous action off Surigao Straits, in the battle of Leyte Gulf, in which Fuso was sunk.

This is her profile at the time:
Attachment:
(00).jpg
(00).jpg [ 92.81 KiB | Viewed 5641 times ]

She was decommisioned in 1946, to be comissioned again in 1951 to take part in the Korean War. She was deployed afterwards with the 6th. Fleet in the Meditarranean, where she took part in the Suez Crisis in 1956 and the actions off the Lebanese coast in 1958, before being transferred to the Spanish Navy on Dec. 1st. 1960 in Barcelona.

This was McGowan in the mid 50´s, with the post war modifications: tripod mast, main armament already reduced to four and upgraded AA baterry with the common 75 mm. guns. Her crew can truly say that they were serving in a place where many other people usually go only to their honeymoon.
Attachment:
(01).jpg
(01).jpg [ 92.84 KiB | Viewed 5641 times ]

Upon her arrival to Spain she was named D25 Jorge Juan, after Captain Jorge Juan y Santacilia, eminet navigator, mathematician, astronomer and naval constructor. A fully illustrated 18th. century gentleman.

The ship was already a veteran when she arrived in our Navy, and was one of the members of the spearhead unit of our Navy, the Desron 21, that had an extremely intense service until its units were replaced by the Descubierta-class corvettes in the mid.80´s. This was her atractive outline in the mid.60´s, at the peak of her service in the Desron 21:
Attachment:
(02).jpg
(02).jpg [ 82.35 KiB | Viewed 5641 times ]

Desron 21 had a very useful active life, that marked a before and an after in our Navy. Active, although aliquando non incruenta, as Almirante Valdés can testify, after finding a pier that perhaps was not there before:
Attachment:
(03).jpg
(03).jpg [ 95.84 KiB | Viewed 5641 times ]

I have not found details of this incident, but I have no doubt whatsoever that somebody had to give long, careful and painful explanations to somebody else.

Anyhow, everybody knows that to make an omelette you have to break the eggs before, and that only those who never do anything make no mistakes.

To say nothing of the mere fact that not only these incidents were scarce, but also that they were not exclusive of our Navy. USS Hatfield, a flushdecker, that once found the pier as well:
Attachment:
(05).jpg
(05).jpg [ 52.74 KiB | Viewed 5641 times ]

And even USS Wisconsin herself…
Attachment:
(06).jpg
(06).jpg [ 34.66 KiB | Viewed 5641 times ]

… who starred an incident in the "interesting" chapter when she boarded USS Eaton with this brilliant outcome, that certainly could have been much worse:
Attachment:
(07).jpg
(07).jpg [ 126.54 KiB | Viewed 5641 times ]

Special merit to USS Belknap, that got under the structures of USS J.F. Kennedy, to discover at her own expense that alu structures burn way easier than steel ones:
Attachment:
(08).jpg
(08).jpg [ 51.53 KiB | Viewed 5641 times ]

And when at work, Europeans can do it as well and with spectacular success, as minehunter Grömitz not too long ago:
Attachment:
(09).jpg
(09).jpg [ 46.99 KiB | Viewed 5641 times ]

And not to mention the stranding of USS Missouri at Hampton Roads, or the exclusive way in which USS Eisenhower mended Urduliz´s bow also in Norfolk en 1988, or how HMS Camperdown finished HMS Victoria´s carreer in an incident that has got its own honour place in the anthology of naval absurd. So, whatever Navy is clean of fault, cast the first stone.

With all the normal incidents proper of very active units, Desron 21 rendered very useful services and made History in our Navy. The beautiful lines of Jorge Juan were familiar to many ports, first as destroyer and then as a patrol ship, before being decomissioned and scrapped in Ferrol in 1988.
Attachment:
(11).jpg
(11).jpg [ 49.68 KiB | Viewed 5641 times ]

I hope this construction will be of your interest.

Willie.

Last edited by Willie on Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:32 am 

Hi all again.

When building this ship, the best commercial kit is the Revell 1/144, that offers one of the Fletcher´s transferred to Germany more or less at the same time. You can see the contents of the box in:

http://www.u-modelismo.com/foromodelism ... rdseen#new

The round bridge and the AA. armament that this kit offers would be ideal for building a round bridge Fletcher in the mid 50-60´s, D23 Almirante Valdés, for example. But I prefer a D25 Jorge Juan, that is one of the mythical ships of my childhood, when I measured the size of the ship for the number of stacks, and any patrol ship that we could see off the coast made us bike for hours, only to see her a bit more.

My intention is then to build D25 Jorge Juan as she was in the mid 60´s.

The main problem is that --being of the pre-digital era-- there are not too many pics of this ship. I have scratched the web for months, but the result is not very abundant.

But fortunately, this ship is a sister ship of many other Fletchers, rebuilt and not rebuilt, and their equipment was the one in the US Navy, and there is no lack of info on this side.

I will be using two books as a general base: “The Destroyer The Sullivans”, by Al Ross, of the Anatomy of the Ship series and the excelent “The Fletcher-class Destroyers”, by Alan Raven.

As a bonus, two excelent friends at whose place close to Toronto I was living organized --after my proposal of "you pay the gas, I pay the pizzas"-- an excursion to Buffalo, on lake Erie, where USS The Sullivans is moored. And then, while they were enjoying a couple of pizzas and a number of cups of coffee, I spent four memorable hours onboard the ship, with my camera smoking all the time, and could pass to USS Little Rock, to make pics of both sides and even some perspective pictures:
Attachment:
(12).JPG
(12).JPG [ 190.7 KiB | Viewed 5638 times ]

As you can never avoid getting into trouble pretending your English is nil, and therefore getting into the forbidden areas, the museum superintendent, a retired captain, caught me on the USS Little Rock structures, and we had an impressions exchange, something like"What the heck are you doing there, can you not read" -- "Sorry, but I need pics from this place", until we discovered that we had both been in US Naval Station Rota, Spain, at the same time in 1984-85, he at the base flotilla, and I in my frigate, so it was very possible that we had met each other before, and from then on the pics improved in quality --and height, you know what I mean.
Attachment:
(13).JPG
(13).JPG [ 126.11 KiB | Viewed 5638 times ]

So, for the price of two pizzas and some cups of coffee I had a wonderful day, got some 500+ pics for my construction and I made a friend on top of it. I consider this money to be a superb investition :cool_2: .

I will therefore use firstable the specific information that I have of Jorge Juan,, complemented with any info that I have of Alcalá Galiano, sister ship in the Spanish Navy, and if necessary --and it will be necessary-- the pictures of USS The Sullivans, along with the mentioned books by Al Ross y Alan Raven.

So, we can start,

Willie.

Last edited by Willie on Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:10 pm 

Willie,

I'm very impressed with how much effort you are going to in making an ACCURATE 4-Gun FLETCHER model of JORGE JUAN from the 1/144 scale Revell kit. Excellent work. :thumbs_up_1:

You caught the biggest error with the Revell 1/144 scale FLETCHER kits that I find unforgivable, modeling the earlier taper-back Mk 37 director (used on SIMS-BENSON-GLEAVES classes) instead of the square-back Mk 37 director ... the ONLY one in various mods ever used on FLETCHERS. You have done an excellent correction build, which should have NOT been necessary.

JORGE JUAN would have used the same Mk 25 radar on the Mk 37 director as was used on the rest of the Post-WWII FLETCHERs. There may have been an upgraded mod, but likely that didn't involve a new antenna. The 1960 Armament Summary lists USS McGOWAN (DD-678) with a Mk 25 Mod 3 radar on her Mk 37 Mod 52 director.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:31 pm 

Beautiful work, Willie. I moved these posts here, into their own thread, and out of the CASF Fletcher Class thread.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:46 am 

Wonderful work! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:
You certainly set a very high standard for the rest of ship!

Cheers,

Marijn

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:38 am 

Hi all again :

As I am using the 1/144 Revell kit for the German versions of the Fletchers, the next step in the construction of my Jorge Juan (ex USS McGowan) was quite boring: to close the hull and delete all details on the bulkheads to reconstruct them completely according to Jorge Juan. It was necessary to erase everything with different files and sandpaper trying to save as much plastic as possible not to have to fill in the holes later, to achieve this :

Attachment:
(15).JPG
(15).JPG [ 135.34 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

I have to say that most of the structures in this kit are basically correct for a square bridged Fletcher of the mid 50´s-60´s, and they can be used with out much trouble.

And the very same process with the hull, as Revell´s offering has got the typical deck rails for the mining operations that did not exist in the Spanish units.

As the rest of the details are not that good either, I erased them as well reserving only the fore and aft square hatches that I had to open with file and sandpaper again.

Attachment:
(18).JPG
(18).JPG [ 123.17 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

Once this process was finished --and it took relatively long, as it is necessary to be very careful-- the next step was to start the completion of the structures. My way of building is somehow unorthodox: When all the basic elements are ready, and instead of starting with the hull and structures and only then the the finer details, I build as completely as possible some of the details first, to set the construction/quality standard for the rest of the ship. You could say it is starting a house with the vane, quite literally in this case because I started with the main fire director, a Mk.37/mod.22, of excelent accuracy and of virtually universal use in the US Navy.

This fire director was born in this first version:

Attachment:
(19).JPG
(19).JPG [ 44.02 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

The fire director of Jorge Juan was a further, quite modified version of the first Mk.37 model:
Attachment:
(24).jpg
(24).jpg [ 18.95 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

I was lucky enough as to find some clear 3D renders that allow to reproduce the poles without further problems:
Attachment:
(21).jpg
(21).jpg [ 69.25 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

Attachment:
(22).jpg
(22).jpg [ 66.69 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

What Revell offers is not much:
Attachment:
(26).JPG
(26).JPG [ 155.17 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

It will be noticed that the director trunk is the earlier, longer one, that has to be cut down, and that the general detailing is quite poor again, so all the details have to be erased too.

The main problem with Revell´s director is that it has got two cuts at the rear that do not correspond with the model to be built, as can be seen in this pic of USS The Sullivans, that had the rear of her director perfectly straight:

Attachment:
(28).JPG
(28).JPG [ 144.36 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

Attachment:
(29).JPG
(29).JPG [ 166.83 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

To be continued in the next post.

Willie.

Last edited by Willie on Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:46 am, edited 8 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:40 am 

Hi all again.

As the thing had to be modified in depth, instead of making a putty mess I preferred to cover the whole structure with styrene; the antenna poles were long to build, but not difficult at all:

Attachment:
(30).JPG
(30).JPG [ 162.98 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

Attachment:
(31).JPG
(31).JPG [ 156.08 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

Attachment:
(32).JPG
(32).JPG [ 123.09 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

Attachment:
(33).JPG
(33).JPG [ 127.03 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

The blast covers are made with Evergreen and stretched sprue rings, carving them with X-acto blades, files and fine sandpaper. They are not identical, as this is not necessary nor convenient because the real ones were not either after being set in place and moved by the wind.
Attachment:
(34).JPG
(34).JPG [ 210.98 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

Attachment:
(35).JPG
(35).JPG [ 180.22 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

Attachment:
(36).JPG
(36).JPG [ 145.65 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

So it has started like this, minus vertical ladders and fine detailing:

Attachment:
(37).JPG
(37).JPG [ 130.15 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

I hope you like it, and best regards from this side,

Willie.

Last edited by Willie on Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:42 am 

Hi all again.

As I said before, this kit offers a German destroyer with round bridge modified in Germany, but Jorge Juan needs a complete squared bridge, what will imply lots of work more, but this is one of the ships that have been with me all along my life. It was one of those ships that made the hair in your back raise when your father took you to visit her. I had plenty of opportunities to visit her when my frigate was in Ferrol, the base of both ships, because a school friend was serving onboard her, and any time I paid a visit I had the feeling of crossing the gates of time.
Attachment:
(38).jpg
(38).jpg [ 144.31 KiB | Viewed 5636 times ]

Regarding comfort and facilities...
Attachment:
(39).jpg
(39).jpg [ 146.81 KiB | Viewed 5636 times ]

... I can only say that my Knox-class frigate F73 Cataluña was, in comparison, the closest equivalent to a 4-star hotel I have seen in my life.

To see Jorge Juan and the other Fletcher-class in ferrol, Lepanto, get to sea in grey weather in 1984-85 is one of the nicest memories I have of our base. Even at the very end of their service, gosh, how nice they were...

Very best regards,

Willie.

Last edited by Willie on Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:43 am 

Hi all again,

Before closing the hull it was necessary to solve the problems with water intakes, exhaust, sea chests and so on. About this there is noting at all about Jorge Juan, so i had to use the docking plans that Mr. Rick E. Davis offers in:

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=8105&start=1540

It is a plan of USS Hazelwood, but as this is again a sister ship of Jorge Juan, they can be used with some guarantees. I thought at first that these plans were somehow incomplete, but after some mail exchange with Mr. Davis to solve some doubts, I have to correct and say that just the opposite, they are the most complete set that I know. There a missing piece, the one corresponding to frames 146-166, but Mr. Davis says there is nothing at all in this area.

It is basic to notice that the plans see the ship from above, looking through the hull, so to say, what is of importance to not reverse the details in 180º. the solution is easy: to reverse the pics using a photograph program to be able to see the ship from underneath, as if we were lying on the bottom of the drydock, looking upwards. This :

Attachment:
(40).jpg
(40).jpg [ 74.82 KiB | Viewed 5636 times ]

Once this was done with every pic I cut and glued all the pics together in order to make a general plan:

Attachment:
(41).JPG
(41).JPG [ 72.76 KiB | Viewed 5636 times ]

From then on it was a kid game with very easy calculations to find and mark the exact position of every drill. Long, but very easy:

Attachment:
(42).JPG
(42).JPG [ 170.22 KiB | Viewed 5636 times ]

Then I made the condensers intakes, which are placed in a very specific position, problem that I solved building a kind of box inside, and completing in from outside:

Attachment:
(43).JPG
(43).JPG [ 154.28 KiB | Viewed 5636 times ]

Attachment:
(44).JPG
(44).JPG [ 141.4 KiB | Viewed 5636 times ]

As for the rest, they are all pieces of Evergreen tube in four different diameters to aproximate the scale to the different sizes of the Fletcher-class scoops. It is only to cut the pieces and refine them with sandpaper until you get a thickness that goes along with the scale, say 0.3 mm.

Everything else is very easy. Of course I made a mistake with the outside parts of the condenser intakes, and I had to repeat all the process. Double fun... :crazy: They are now like this:

Attachment:
(47).JPG
(47).JPG [ 120.66 KiB | Viewed 5636 times ]

With (almost) everything in place the effect is quite convincing. The contrast between grey and white is very sharp, and the pieces look like thicker than they actually are. When painted I think it will be much more realistic.

Attachment:
(48).JPG
(48).JPG [ 102.97 KiB | Viewed 5636 times ]

Attachment:
(50).JPG
(50).JPG [ 74.5 KiB | Viewed 5636 times ]

The "almost" is that I don´t know how to build the sonar dome and the depth finder. I think I will be using McDonald´s spoons, but I am not very sure yet. Anyhow, with everything I have done I can already close the hull and start the structures.

I hope you like it, and very best regards from this side,

Willie.

Last edited by Willie on Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:52 am 

Hi all again, folks,

And then a couple of pics of the Mk.37/22 already finished minus the circular antenna. The wiring at the back, that will be done with stretched sprue and will be quite fragile, will be set after the final paintwork so that it will not interfere with the brush and break.
Attachment:
(51).JPG
(51).JPG [ 149.79 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

Attachment:
(52).JPG
(52).JPG [ 159.15 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

Attachment:
(53).JPG
(53).JPG [ 154.36 KiB | Viewed 5634 times ]

It lacks the antenna, but I am not sure yet what model Jorge Juan displayed in the mid 60´s, the moment of her service life I am trying to reproduce.

Brgds,

Willie.

Last edited by Willie on Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:19 am 

JORGE JUAN would have still had the Mk 25 radar on the Mk 37 director in the 1960s.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:51 am 

Willie wrote:
Hi all again, folks,

And then a couple of pics of the Mk.37/22 already finished minus the circular antenna. The wiring at the back, that will be done with stretched sprue and will be quite fragile, will be set after the final paintwork so that it will not interfere with the brush and break.

It lacks the antenna, but I am not sure yet what model Jorge Juan displayed in the mid 60´s, the moment of her service life I am trying to reproduce.

Brgds,

Willie.

THIS is modeling!

Cheers, Jabb

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:56 am 

Wow, that director looks AWESOME. Nice work, this ship will look great.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:36 am 

Wow, i had not seen this topic until now. This piece is superb. Congratulations

Jorge

USS Nimitz 1/200
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=153310

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:41 am 

Hi there all of you once more,

Due to some family duties --not to lack of interest in the grey thing-- I was not able to work more than at odd times, but I would like to post some of my advances anyhow.

The central and forward structures come together in a single piece, this one:
Attachment:
(54).JPG
(54).JPG [ 100.81 KiB | Viewed 5526 times ]

As it can be seen, it has got all the necessary trimmings for storing the rafts that the German Fletchers had got, that of course have to be deleted, along with all the rest of details --ammo boxes, hedgehogs, and so on:
Attachment:
(55).JPG
(55).JPG [ 84.17 KiB | Viewed 5526 times ]

The structure is quite complex reg. bulkwards, and has to be adapted to the double curve of the main deck. The general layout of the blocks is perfectly OK, but in order to not force the position when it is glued it should be as accurate as possible from the very beginning, a process that took lots of file, sandpaper and hours.
Attachment:
(56).JPG
(56).JPG [ 156.8 KiB | Viewed 5526 times ]

Once set in place, and instead of being a flat surface or having a light curve upwards at the most, the deck is pretty much like a roller coaster. In order to give it some flexibility I decided to cut the forward section away, and to empty the positions of the stacks and the clip shack. The sides of the forward structure have to be reduced as well, as there were no rafts in this area in both American and Spanish Fletchers.
Attachment:
(60).jpg
(60).jpg [ 186.84 KiB | Viewed 5526 times ]

The aft structure is way more simple and fully usable as well, but has to go through the same process. I have got very few pics of this section in Jorge Juan, so I used the pics I took in Buffalo in my visit to USS The Sullivans. This is what has to be reproduced:
Attachment:
(61).JPG
(61).JPG [ 174.24 KiB | Viewed 5526 times ]

Attachment:
(62).JPG
(62).JPG [ 165.23 KiB | Viewed 5526 times ]

Attachment:
(63).JPG
(63).JPG [ 177.92 KiB | Viewed 5526 times ]

Attachment:
(64).JPG
(64).JPG [ 174.54 KiB | Viewed 5526 times ]

Brgds,

Willie.

Last edited by Willie on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:16 am 

And hi again, folks.

The upper position fort the aft 3in/50 Mk27:
Attachment:
(65).JPG
(65).JPG [ 176.53 KiB | Viewed 5526 times ]

Attachment:
(66).JPG
(66).JPG [ 189.42 KiB | Viewed 5526 times ]

The initial element, with everything that can be used in the kit plus the first modifications, is this:
Attachment:
(67).JPG
(67).JPG [ 133.95 KiB | Viewed 5526 times ]

The previous pics onboard USS The Sullivans will allow to detail the beams to perfection. It is necessary to notice --and I didn´t-- that these beams are not all of them the same shape and are not evenly spaced. The process is very simple, but time consuming, and unnecessary to say, I had to do it twice, until I managed to produce this :
Attachment:
(68).jpg
(68).jpg [ 173.58 KiB | Viewed 5526 times ]

With the available pics the superstructure and the director platform were very easy to make:
Attachment:
(69).jpg
(69).jpg [ 201.44 KiB | Viewed 5526 times ]

Attachment:
(70).jpg
(70).jpg [ 201.42 KiB | Viewed 5526 times ]

Attachment:
(71).jpg
(71).jpg [ 185.21 KiB | Viewed 5526 times ]

Attachment:
(72).jpg
(72).jpg [ 199.69 KiB | Viewed 5526 times ]

Rgds,

Willie.

Last edited by Willie on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:26 am 

Hi all again,

Once I was finished with the basic structures, I got involved with the bidge structure. According to AOTS and my own Buffalo photo album at USS The Sullivans, this is what has to be done:
Attachment:
(75-1).JPG
(75-1).JPG [ 187.18 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

The basic supporting structure of the bridge is the common one to all square bridge Fletchers. As a very welcome help, I used the round bridge structure of the first Fletcher series that the Revell kit offers, as the height is correct. The length of the final block is 1.5 mm. too long, but considering that the hull is virtually 800 mm. long, this is acceptable for me, or at least I can live with it.
Attachment:
(74).JPG
(74).JPG [ 154.3 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

Once the first block was finished, I went on with the bridge deck, using as a guide a 1/144 deck plan that I had drawn before with all the structures that had to be built. This deck is quite irregular, as it can be seen:
Attachment:
(76).jpg
(76).jpg [ 168.82 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

With, again, lots of file and sandpaper I was able to produce perfect bulkwarks, with no open seams and no need of putty. I was very happy and the structure itself was like this :
Attachment:
(77).jpg
(77).jpg [ 177.32 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

Everything was OK until I noticed that both the pics and the plan corresponded to USS The Sullivans, and I am actually building Jorge Juan, that, as her sister ship Alcalá Galiano, had a different bridge deck plan, with straight lines. Here Jorge Juan with straight bulwarks:
Attachment:
(79).jpg
(79).jpg [ 92.87 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

The difference is not big, but it is there, and it is obvious enough as to need to discard the element and to build a new one. Patience is something that we modellers have got in great store. Double work, double fun...
Attachment:
(80).jpg
(80).jpg [ 81.45 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

This structure is obviously way more simple, and with straight bulwarks, what makes things easier.
When both are placed together, the difference is obvious::
Attachment:
(82).jpg
(82).jpg [ 165.2 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

The bridge block is made with independent deck and ceiling, both cut in 1.0 mm. Evergreen plank to give it strength, and closed with Evergreen stripes in several widths to give it the necessary height.
Attachment:
(83).jpg
(83).jpg [ 179.24 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

Attachment:
(84).jpg
(84).jpg [ 183.03 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

Closed and complete, the pilot house is now like this:
Attachment:
(85).JPG
(85).JPG [ 127.17 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

It is a very easy process, but somehow boring. I hope you like it anyhow.

Brgds to all of you from this side of the North Atlantic,

Willie.

Last edited by Willie on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:30 am 

Hi all once more,

After completing thie pilot house, I started the detailing of the structure. As it is big enough, it allows making things that would be way more difficult to achieve with bigger scales, as the deck beams again.
I have got only e few pics of Jorge Juan herself, so I had to use the USS The Sullivans album. This is what has to be done:
Attachment:
(86-b).JPG
(86-b).JPG [ 203.19 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

There are again differences in shape and length in these beams. The pics are very detailed and of precious help, but they correspond tho USS The Sullivans, not Jorge Juan, and a pic of the last reveals substancial differences in the wings beams and the supports of the wind break:
Attachment:
(91-1).JPG
(91-1).JPG [ 190.22 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

Attachment:
(92).jpg
(92).jpg [ 106.96 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

The beams can be done without further trouble using Evergreen stripes of several thickness, although I had to modify some of the profiles. It is very, very, very boring, as the pieces have to be cut with absolute precision, but the process is extremely easy.
The wind breakers were a good headache, because they are curved in shape, and in very visible position:
Attachment:
(98).JPG
(98).JPG [ 188.04 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

Attachment:
(99).JPG
(99).JPG [ 159.39 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

I was looking for a suitable profile for some time, kind of yoghourt container or alike, but without success, so I had to look for elsewhere. I realized at last that as the outboard part will be almost invisible due to the vertical part, I could make the windbreaker with an oblong section, not necessarily curved, and file and sand the inboard section until the suitable curve is achieved, what will have the side effect of very easy supports for the outdoor plates. This is what has to be done:
Attachment:
(93).JPG
(93).JPG [ 108.22 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

As it can be seen in the pics, the split between the board and the windbreaker will be covered by the kind of tubing that links both elements. It is now like this :
Attachment:
(94).JPG
(94).JPG [ 173.42 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

Attachment:
(96).JPG
(96).JPG [ 141.42 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

The supports for the bulwarks are made according to the pattern that Alan Raven offers in his superb book Fletcher-class destroyers, pag. 87. :
Attachment:
(95).JPG
(95).JPG [ 170.47 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

The vertical plates of the windbreakers are placed a bit lower than necessary. It would be very easy to have placed them higher by making the supports wider, but I made a couple of tests, and they were not very satisfactory, as it ruined the general profile of the bridge; so I had to lower it roughly 0.75 mm. so that the split could be seen without disfiguring the general outline. Once the pilot house is set in place, the general effect is very realistic as well:
Attachment:
(97).JPG
(97).JPG [ 153.21 KiB | Viewed 5525 times ]

And I think that with this, the bridge is ready for more intrincate detailing.

I hope you like it, and warmest regards from this side of the North Atlantic,

Willie.

Last edited by Willie on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:51 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Beautiful work, Willie!

:big_grin:

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:58 am 

Glad to see you're back at the helm, Steamboat Willie! :D

She looks a treat...

On the ways:
1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson
1/700 Tamiya USS Yorktown CV-5

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109
1/35 Tamiya "Pibber" Patrol Boat
1/350 Trumpeter USS Yorktown CV-10

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next