The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:48 pm 

It's gonna be absolutely necessary to keep organized...good thinking, Chris.

Not sure on the booms, Timhan... I'd like to know too.

Sorry but no progress yet; I have "summer stuff" that is taking priority for the moment. Hopefully I'll have more time later in the year to make great strides forward. Hey, you get what you pay for! :heh:

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:24 am 

Oh dear, i think i have found yet another question. Checking photos in AOTS book and Bruce Roberts' "Bio"
book, where the twin stairs descend from the Admirals quarters on the Port side, at the top of the outer
stair, there appears to be a pillar or pole. We know of the existence of the pillars on the shelter deck, but
this one seems to have been overlooked. Did i miss a mention of this in the past, or do i need stronger glasses.
Being winter in the land of OZ, plus being retired, i may be more advanced into this project than most, so will
keep sharing my thoughts.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:28 am 

Apologies to Bruce "TAYLOR". A "Senior" moment.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:09 am 

Really? Undocumented detail on Hood? I would never have thought that to be possible...

Attachment:
mysterypillar.jpg

2 pillars, incidentally.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:06 am 

Of course i knew EJ had the answer. Just testing. Seriously, though, does anyone have the answer to my earlier query
regarding the supports for the 50 ft. boom. I assume that they were "hooks" with a closing mechanism to form a clamp.
Would like to know before i commence with this area.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:01 am 

With the 50ft derrick: I don't know what you mean or what the Pontos parts look like. I typically only reply to posts I understand or that have supporting pics :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:45 am 

Hello everyone!

Tomorrow, I pick up my HMS Hood, the Pontos detail set, the additional Trumpeter funnel sprue and of course the Pontos set has I bought has the additional PE to allow two correctly sized front funnels to be built (and two rear funnels to practice on, obviously! :heh: ).

Anyway, despite reading the forum several times a day of late, I haven't done any modelling for a while, but I have slowly been ramping myself up to building something again... and given I have SO much documentation on Hood (AND a waterline version of the White Ensign Hood sitting in my office looking rather forlorn in its unbuilt state), what better way than something dramatic...

No doubt Jim B will be pulling his hair out at such a huge departure from me doing 700 scale or nothing. However, the fact that there are a few on here building Hood, should be a way of making sure I don't slack... it worked very well when I was building HMS Tiger a few years ago when I did a parallel build with Martin, so lets hope so.

Jason, I am every bit as bad as you at procrastinating, but like you, I can also be pretty obsessive... which, again, can get in the way of actually doing anything... procrastination and obsessiveness do tend to go hand in hand.

The fact the EJ is contributing helps, because he is also just as bad (and yes EJ, I STILL have the turrets you cast for me for the WEM Hood that you sent me the FIRST time you cast them - this was before you did some corrected turrets for WEM themselves - yes, it was THAT long ago!). EJ Foeth, along with Frank Allen obviously, are pretty much the undisputed champions of everything Hood anyway, so we really don't have any excuses when it comes to accuracy, either.

Anyway guys, and Jason in particular, do you mind if I join this thread as a 'group build' or would you prefer this to be yours? I'm perfectly happy with starting my own, but it could be fun to do it together...

BTW Jason... fabulous Nelson... I followed that through every step of the way...

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:40 pm 

Certainly Bill, I'd definitely appreciate you contribution. :thumbs_up_1: Thanks for your kind comment on my Nelson; hopefully I can take Hood up another notch.

Personally, I think a thread with several guys taking on this same project would be far more interesting, useful and lively than just my build and I don't really want to do duplicate posts in two threads so I'm equally happy staying here with several modelers posting their progress or moving over to a new thread in the group build forum.

Any votes?

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:47 pm 

Thanks Jason, in that case I will add my contributions to this thread.. we are seven pages in already and one or two others have already started posting on it... seems pointless starting a fresh thread - besides, anyone following would probably appreciate one thread to follow rather than a few.

As I said, I pick all my bits up tomorrow, so I will post my first thoughts over the next few days. I have already thought about the hull and what to do about the plating.

The plating on Hood IS very prominent, so there is possibly an argument for accepting it as is, but given I haven't actually seen Trumpeters Hood hull in the flesh yet, I couldn't really say. I suspect I will try to modify the hull and I have a few ideas about how to go about it. New armour plate in some sections and reducing it in others seems favourite from what I can see so far, bt, as I say, it may all change tomorrow when I get a chance to look properly.

Anyway, in the meantime, this is a useful picture showing the (visible) plate along the whole of the side... this is from 1924...

Full size here, which is far more useful... http://i.imgur.com/SylDkWg.jpg

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:56 am 

Bill Livingston wrote:
and yes EJ, I STILL have the turrets you cast for me for the WEM Hood that you sent me the FIRST time you cast them - this was before you did some corrected turrets for WEM themselves - yes, it was THAT long ago!

And you STILL haven't finished it? I thought I took my time :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:18 am 

EJFoeth wrote:
Bill Livingston wrote:
and yes EJ, I STILL have the turrets you cast for me for the WEM Hood that you sent me the FIRST time you cast them - this was before you did some corrected turrets for WEM themselves - yes, it was THAT long ago!

And you STILL haven't finished it? I thought I took my time :wave_1:

LOL!

I actually haven't even started it...

I thought I would use this 200 scale Hood as a reference for a waterline 350 WEM version... that way I can manage my expectations for accuracy and detail without going mad... as the big one will hopefully exorcise all those demons... I may even do the two in parallel.

You see, there is method to my madness... :cool_2:

Hello, by the way... really good to 'see' you again :wave_1:

(I will be using On the Slipway as a major reference through this build... so keep me on the straight and narrow!).

Last edited by Bill Livingston on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:20 am 

You'd find the WEM version is quite outdated I'm afraid. The Trumpeter 200 version is a bit crude (of course I would say so) but quite decent.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:05 am 

EJFoeth wrote:
You'd find the WEM version is quite outdated I'm afraid. The Trumpeter 200 version is a bit crude (of course I would say so) but quite decent.

Kind of what I thought... which is why its been hard starting it. Hence the thoughts above. Some things will be worth working on, some, not so much. Even on the WEM Hood hull I can see so much that needs to be done I would carve it all off and just use the base of the hull... and probably still change that a bit... I can see how you got to where you are with yours... although you should end up with a 350 masterpiece... but that was SO much work.

As a display piece, the WEM Hood will make a nice Hood 'in action' with all the ladders put away, boats covered etc... The 200 Hood looks pretty good and should satisfy my need for detail if not accuracy.

But we both know, in a few years, even more will be known, and even the current 200 scale Hood with Pontos will look outdated. Thats just the way it is...

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:51 am 

Don;t get me started on that old WEM hull. I really have to restrain myself from not throwing it away and starting over...

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:02 pm 

Well, just got home five minutes ago with the Trumpeter Hood and the Pontos set having collected them this afternoon.

I had read that it was a big kit... I hadn't realised just how big it actually is... OMG... What have I done!? :heh:

OK guys... I'm officially joining in this group build... :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:36 am 

A tip...., with respect to the instructions for assembling the two "wildcat" assemblies on page 2 of the instruction sheets, brass part 47 is identified which would appear to be in error. I suspect brass parts 31 are the correct items for the wildcats?

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:16 am 

well done Bill! if you're going to get back into modelling, then do it with STYLE! lol. yep, she's big all right. Welcome aboard, regards, Pete in Rhode Island.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:25 am 

Grizly wrote:
A tip...., with respect to the instructions for assembling the two "wildcat" assemblies on page 2 of the instruction sheets, brass part 47 is identified which would appear to be in error. I suspect brass parts 31 are the correct items for the wildcats?

And where can I find the brass parts 31 Grizly?
I'm affraid I can't find them on the instruction sheets or the etch :scratch: .

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:20 am 

Hi Builder

Part 31 is with the other scribed brass parts. It looks like a piece with two winch?? drums that you cut in half. One piece for each wildcat.

Hope that helps.

I'm still waffling on the 1/200 Hood after spending 3 years on the 1/200 Missouri. Can't see doing that again

Lloyd

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:25 pm 

BBlover wrote:
Hi Builder
Part 31 is with the other scribed brass parts. It looks like a piece with two winch?? drums that you cut in half. One piece for each wildcat.
Hope that helps.
I'm still waffling on the 1/200 Hood after spending 3 years on the 1/200 Missouri. Can't see doing that again
Lloyd

Thank you Lloyd, found it. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next