The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:06 pm 

The Hull

I've used Ross Wattons Anatomy of the Ship Warspite as the base, assuming that the fundamental structure of this ship class were the same. I chose the Academy Warspite kit simply because it has some of the casemate guns in place which I assume provide a starting point. Hah. But I got it half price in a sale so OK. With hindsight, it would probably have been just as easy to scratch build.
The goal is 'credible detailing' rather than complete accuracy as I have nowhere near enough info for that.
In summary, the hull has been modified in 3 ways:
1) Add the casemate structures that Barham had
2) Correct various shapes to match the AOTS profiles
3) Add/replace surface detail such as plating (non-existent on the Academy kit), drains, portholes etc.
About the plating: unlike the Trumpeter kits, there is no plating detail on the Academy hull parts. Luckily, the AOTS book has extensive information on this including a full plate expansion. I've used paper to simulate the plating interpreting the drawing as best I can. Rather than just using a simple over and under set of strips, I have a wide mix of over and under, clinkered with areas of greater complexity of shapes where the curves fore and aft. In some places I've printed out scaled versions of the expanded plate drawings and cut out the more complex parts and used them directly.
About the portholes: All portholes have been drilled out and lined with brass tube to ensure true circles with sharp edges. Eyebrows are from fine copper wire. Some of the porthole heights above various decks seemed a bit odd, in certain place they were much higher than others whereas the AOTS book has the at a common height.

Attachment:
IMG_2699.JPG
IMG_2699.JPG [ 162.47 KiB | Viewed 3416 times ]

A) The centerline profile was remodel as per AOTS and the prow brought to a finer edge.
B) Anchor hawse holes have been drilled through and lined. The lining has been shaped to provide a smooth transition out onto the deck with th deck ports given the right shape. The exit holes have been lined with copper wire.
C) I read in the CASF for this ship class that one of the things Academy got right was that the front end of Warspite's bulge differed to the other ships. I've assumed that Barham's bulge was the same as the other ships so it has been filled out to match.
D) Academy provide the paravane foot as a separate foot but is incredibly thick and inelegant. I've made a new one from styrene with paper plating and drilled the holes.

Attachment:
IMG_2700.JPG
IMG_2700.JPG [ 172.08 KiB | Viewed 3416 times ]

E) Since Barham still had 6 forward casemate positions, this section had to be cut inward from the kit and given new deck and walls. Additionally the deck forward of the barbettes has a slight incline towards the bow which was added.
F) Warspite retained the center 4 casemates so the forward one had to be made from scratch.
G) As far as I can ascertain, Academy made a big error with the torpedo bulge shape in that these knuckles are supposed to run horizontal for the full length; Academy curves them up fore and aft. Luckily the hull is molded from thick plastic so it is possible to carve out the right shaped from the existing plastic. I did at one point start pricing up Trumpeters Warspite; it was that bad....
H) The grab rails are from this brass wire mounted on copper wire braces so that the rail is about .010" clear of the wall.

Attachment:
IMG_2701.JPG
IMG_2701.JPG [ 169.45 KiB | Viewed 3416 times ]

I) The aft casemate position is scratch built.
J) The casemates themselves are completely scratch built as the kit parts seemed undersized and the supporting structure top and bottom didn't feel right. The casemates are made from rolled paper with the viewing ports cut out.
K) The barbettes were salvaged from the kit decks. The decks were discarded as they has a bizarre ridge running down the center; looks like an incorrect interpretation of deck camber.
L) It looks like there is some kind of foot platform around the outside of the casemate so I've added these from thin styrene. Currently they may stick out too far, but that is easy to change.
M) New decks have been added from thicker styrene and given a slight camber to ensure the center of the deck doesn't subside (though not as much as the real ship - that's one for the future). The final deck layer is from .010" styrene cut to include the overhangs around the casemates.

Attachment:
IMG_2702.JPG
IMG_2702.JPG [ 179.92 KiB | Viewed 3416 times ]

N) The aft casemates were removed from Warspite so this section is all new scratch building. Gun port plate-over has been added using paper.
O) Aft end of the torpedo bulge knuckles have also been modified to run horizontal.
P) Salvaged kit barbettes. For some reason the Y barbette was significantly shorter than the B barbette but it looks like they should be the same height. So this has been shimmed. Oddly, the missing height corresponded to the thickness of the deck part plastic.
Q) These access hatches were not well represented being simply raised blips which completely lost their shape towards the rear as the side molding limited their definition. SO they've been redone using a custom stencil. I didn't have any dimensional info so I guessed; the hatches scale out to about 3' x 2'.
R) Drains were made from paper formed into 'C' sections and trimmed to shape.

Attachment:
IMG_2703.JPG
IMG_2703.JPG [ 166.31 KiB | Viewed 3416 times ]

S) Stern centerline profile has been reshaped to match the AOTS drawings. It's lucky that the hull plastic was so thick has significant plastic removal was involved; I had to add styrene sheet on the inside in places as it got too thin.
T) Just like the bow, the stern anchor hawsehole has been drilled, lined and shaped.
U) The kit rudder mounts have been removed and replaced with brass tube and paper stiffeners.
V) The propeller shafts have been given a major rework. The shaft mounts and hull-entry bulges were kept but majorly reworked. AOTS shows that all 4 shafts have the same angle down as they go back but the inner shaft are parallel to the centerline but the outer shafts angle in slightly. With the rework of the torpedo bulge (see later), the kit shafts parts were wildly off.
The A brackets were removed, drilled through to take a brass rod shaft and given fillet stiffeners from styrene. The hull-entry covers were drilled to take the end of the shaft and cut down . From that point it was a matter of tweaking the mounts until the shafts matched card templates with the correct alignment angles. Took quite some time....

Attachment:
IMG_2708.JPG
IMG_2708.JPG [ 170.86 KiB | Viewed 3416 times ]

W) To ensure the part of the keel projecting between the propellers had a uniform width (the kit molding had a weird flare in places, as does the 1/700 Trumpeter Barham, which just doesn't seem right., it was necessary to modify the hull shape. using cross sections from the AOTS, this area needed to be filled out, extending the flat bottom area towards the stern.
X) Conversely, this area needed to be scalloped out.
Y) AOTS shows that the rear of the torpedo bulge covers significantly more than the kit with the inside edge running inside of where the outside prop shafts enter the hull. Despite no kit I checked (Trumpeter, Academy or Airfix) having this, I decided to go with the book anyway for giggles.
Z) Bilge keels never seem to be molded right, having a shallow angle (that allows part removal from the mold?) so they've been replaced with a steeper angle and extended forward.

Couple of shots of what's under the covers:

Attachment:
IMG_2659a.jpg
IMG_2659a.jpg [ 143.78 KiB | Viewed 3416 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2660.jpg
IMG_2660.jpg [ 175.25 KiB | Viewed 3416 times ]

Couple of spurious extras:

Attachment:
IMG_2705.JPG
IMG_2705.JPG [ 168.74 KiB | Viewed 3416 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2706a.jpg
IMG_2706a.jpg [ 136.52 KiB | Viewed 3416 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:30 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Absolutely brilliant!

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:51 pm 

For sure someone will now release this as a kit! :heh:

Brilliant work, as usual, Richard.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:24 am 

Aft deck housing
Nice little self contained item. I've taken to scanning plans drawing etc and creating new simplified line drawings from them as this allows me to merge drawings from different sources (and time periods), standardize sizes (have you ever noticed that it isn't that uncommon for certain features to be of a different size in different perspectives on the same plan?) and think about how I'm going to build something. Using a layered program (in this case Photoshop) I can easily separate different features to work on in isolation.
Here's an example of a line drawing for panels to fix to the outside of the base styrene structure with solid bulwarks and location of doors, portholes and a couple of other bits.

Attachment:
afthousingpanels.jpg
afthousingpanels.jpg [ 86.56 KiB | Viewed 3092 times ]

Because it's derived from the original housing drawing, it turned out to be a real good fit.

Attachment:
IMG_2718.JPG
IMG_2718.JPG [ 189.44 KiB | Viewed 3092 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2719.JPG
IMG_2719.JPG [ 168.14 KiB | Viewed 3092 times ]

Under the hood....large strips of styrene stuck inside free edges to stop them from bowing

Attachment:
IMG_2721.JPG
IMG_2721.JPG [ 177.51 KiB | Viewed 3092 times ]

Initial coat of grey reveals a number of small flaws that need to be sorted; glue blobs, gaps, surface blemishes, burring etc.

Attachment:
IMG_2723.JPG
IMG_2723.JPG [ 133.95 KiB | Viewed 3092 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2725.JPG
IMG_2725.JPG [ 193.57 KiB | Viewed 3092 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2726.JPG
IMG_2726.JPG [ 130.14 KiB | Viewed 3092 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:22 pm 

Today's post is dedicated to George Pek. :wave_1:
Attachment:
IMG_2727.jpg
IMG_2727.jpg [ 162.59 KiB | Viewed 2904 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:09 pm 

that is very very very good work!

sharp and crisp

Great stuff

Jim Baumann :thumbs_up_1:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:06 am 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

I like this a LOT! :thumbs_up_1:

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:33 am 

Having been shown various cropped versions, I finally got the complete image:

Attachment:
2307613_orig.jpg
2307613_orig.jpg [ 117.13 KiB | Viewed 2608 times ]

This is a really good shot and assuming that the RN didn't keep repainting bits of the ship differently in 1941, it shows that pretty much every drawing of this scheme gets it wrong to some degree as far as I can tell. Sadly, the Trumpeter scheme I used from their 1/700 kit (no, don't laugh) gets it very wrong.

I've spent quite some time trying to place the pattern with respect to surface feature on the ship such as casemates and portholes and by and large have been able to do so, the only part that has proven very difficult is this :

Attachment:
spit1.jpg
spit1.jpg [ 156.09 KiB | Viewed 2608 times ]

The location is obvious, the alignment of the line is obvious but the rear diagonal is assumed to meet up with the line coming down from the front of the funnel and everyone tries to make it a flowing intersection. I cannot make this work and the area that would explain it is not visible in this picture. Consequently I am assuming that the two lines come together as a corner at deck level; it's the only way I can make it work.

The biggest difference is that the ship must have got heavier at some point as the waterline has moved up considerably (several feet in real terms). Like this:

Attachment:
IMG_2743.JPG
IMG_2743.JPG [ 172.06 KiB | Viewed 2608 times ]

Yes I am working one side before the other to make sure I get what I want. I've narrowed the boot topping a little but because it just looked too fat originally.

I took some picture of each side and pasted them together (I have neither the tools or the talent to do this seamlessly). The top is the the original scheme I did flipped over for comparison against the new scheme on the bottom.

Attachment:
hullupdate1.jpg
hullupdate1.jpg [ 138.97 KiB | Viewed 2608 times ]

The diagonal lines on the update that looked stepped are not, that's simply the camera perspective; looking square on the lines are continuous.

And there were more portholes. They are not completely obvious but there's a couple of pictures (the one at the top plus another bow shot of Barham refuelling in the IWM archives) that have distinct blotches that look to match the location of lower deck portholes (based on Burt's drawing of the QE in 1915(?)). The Academy kit did have portholes (Warspite) but I had filled them because a) I thought that PM/Trumpeter got it right (sigh) and b) they were too close to the casemate level side deck.

Bit of tidying up to do and onto the other side....

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:10 am 

And whilst waiting for the paint to dry....

Main Turrets

I thought the Academy turrets looked pretty god at first glimpse (compared to Trumpeters 1/350), but decided to compare them to drawings. I scanned various overhead drawing (AOTS, Profile M, Burt) and tweaked them to suit the actual diameter of the barbette I had; true dimensional accuracy playing second fiddle to the actual build sizes. I traced the basic outlines in different colors and stacked them. Not one matched the other (worse still, there are at least two references in the AOTS book that din't match each other). The Academy kit turret was smaller than all of them. Additionally, Academy have applied the 'roof-top' interpretation of cambering to the turret tops giving a sharp ridge down the center. It looks like the turret tops are akin to this but the crest is significantly more rounded. And I read somewhere that Barham did not get the mod to allow greater gun elevation.

Attachment:
IMG_2744.JPG
IMG_2744.JPG [ 152.28 KiB | Viewed 2605 times ]

Styrene padding to increase width and length, filler to reshape the roof. Much less obvious are slight changes to the flat front faces which have been reshaped slightly. I'm looking onto ways of adding river detail (assuming the turret tops were riveted....) and the three curved hoods. Once done I'll be casting basic resin blanks which will then be modified for the individual features; 3 Of the 4 turrets have unique fixtures.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:19 pm 

Very thorough approach - most respectable work.
Yours will be the most accurate model of H.M.S. Barham anyone has ever built!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:32 pm 

HI Richard

as usual a work sharp and work made of master hands :thumbs_up_1:
I like it :thumbs_up_1:
cheers
Nicolas

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:45 am 

RichardP wrote:
I'm looking onto ways of adding river detail (assuming the turret tops were riveted....) and the three curved hoods.

http://ontheslipway.com/?p=4

But IIRC, the bolts on the Mk I turrets were not visible.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:14 am 

EJFoeth wrote:
But IIRC, the bolts on the Mk I turrets were not visible.

Seriously? Oh happy day! Thank you.....

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:53 am 

http://imgur.com/I4KbALT.jpg

HMS Repulse, showing the detail the clearest...

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:00 pm 

Amazing work as usual Richard! Can't wait to see her complete.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:57 am 

Beautiful work on this ship. Definitely looking forward to seeing your work progress towards completion.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:18 pm 

Rear deck housing MKIII.

Attachment:
IMG_2562.jpg
IMG_2562.jpg [ 154.04 KiB | Viewed 2105 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2851.JPG
IMG_2851.JPG [ 160 KiB | Viewed 2105 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2852.JPG
IMG_2852.JPG [ 154.33 KiB | Viewed 2105 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2854.JPG
IMG_2854.JPG [ 137 KiB | Viewed 2105 times ]

For some reason the paint on the sidewalls became quite 'rubbery' and a bit tacky (too much handling -> sweat/skin oil????) and collecting dirt so it's been stripped off along with some detail. Easy to redo when I'm done messing around.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:25 pm 

Final funnel structure config

Attachment:
IMG_2848.JPG
IMG_2848.JPG [ 125.69 KiB | Viewed 2104 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2849.JPG
IMG_2849.JPG [ 120.19 KiB | Viewed 2104 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2847.JPG
IMG_2847.JPG [ 214.11 KiB | Viewed 2104 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:25 pm 

Masterful work.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:44 am 

nice !

may I ask you what is your colours choice ?

Report this post