The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:40 pm 

"Let us pray that peace be now restored to the world and that God will preserve it always. These proceedings are closed!"
- General MacArthur, September 2, 1945, aboard USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay

In dedication to the service of my late father, Colonel Charles J. Bauer, who served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam in his 33-year career, I am building this model of the BB-63 as she looked on September 2, 1945. The build is being sponsored by several companies, who have contributed parts and equipment; no sponsor is mandating any decisions and I have complete creative control (based, of course, on the limited skills that I have). I am not receiving any payment or commission for this work.

I am starting with 2 sets (momma said always have a Plan B) of the Trumpeter 1:200 Missouri kit (plus parts from an uncompleted kit I started several years ago, with a blond ash deck), photo-etch materials, and other equipment. I plan to build two (2) complete models of BB-63, one for the museum (we'll reveal the name as we get closer to the ceremony), and one for my home. The date of the presentation of the finished model is September 2, 2020, which will be exactly 75 years since the end of WWII occurred. 

I'm hoping for any guidance along the way, particularly on matters of PE and final finish. The museum is helping me with colors (man, was I wrong with the first build!), but I know there have been some issues with this kit and the aftermarket materials. September 2020 seems a long way away, but I know how long this thing will take.

I work as a part-time as a chaplain at a military base in Colorado Springs, and have been working on a project where wounded warriors build kits of their former duty equipment (various flavors of Abrams, Strykers, MRAP's, Bradley's, etc.) together while talking about their service. Like many of us who build kits or from scratch, there is a peace and serenity to this hobby that may just help some people who deserve lots of it. It's a lot of fun, and we joke that some of the stories are even true.

Anyway, to the work. I have my hulls built and am in the painting phase. I'll keep up with the posts and pics as I go along.

Thanks,

Rick Bauer
Colorado Springs, CO

Builds: 1:200 Trumpeter USS Missouri (BB-63) viewtopic.php?f=59&t=168222#p749083

Last edited by rbauer on Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:23 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Looking forward to your build!

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:21 pm 

Welcome Rick! Glad to have you aboard. And I'm especially glad about your choice of what to build. I suppose you already know this is a real beast, and can tax the abilities of the best of us.

I, too, am building this "Monster Mo" and have been at it off and on (more off than on) for almost 3 years. It's a fascinating kit and it being so big, it's a wonderful opportunity to add as much or as little detail as you want.

As you progress, may I encourage you to check out and follow the several build logs that are here depicting progress on this model.

- Kelly Quirk's build log: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=155426
- Voyteque's (Wojtek) log: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=165366
- Mine: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=160312

and probably several others that I forgot. I also would recommend that you check out the "Calling All USS Iowa Class Fans" in the Battleship section of Calling All Fans forum. There is a wealth of invaluable information there about the real ships.

Again, welcome, and I encourage you to post pictures. I believe in posting pictures not only of your successes, but of your goofs and failures as well. That helps us all learn.

Have fun!

Larry

Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:42 pm 

You might read through Hank Strub's Build of NJ from this Trumpeter kit. Though his is a Viet Nam era completion, he did some significant hull modifications which are necessary for an accurate model. In effect the hull is too full aft and also does not have the proper form forward for the semi bulbous forefoot.

Cheers! Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:40 am 

Fliger747 wrote:
You might read through Hank Strub's Build of NJ from this Trumpeter kit. Though his is a Viet Nam era completion, he did some significant hull modifications which are necessary for an accurate model. In effect the hull is too full aft and also does not have the proper form forward for the semi bulbous forefoot.

Cheers! Tom

I consider Hank's skills to be among the best.

Rick

Builds: 1:200 Trumpeter USS Missouri (BB-63) viewtopic.php?f=59&t=168222#p749083

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:02 am 

I am overwhelmed with questions, but right now they boil down to two issues:

1) Hull reconstruction of Trumpeter kit--is it worth the pain? Will the museum be deeply disappointed if the hull is not modified? I have a pretty hardened conscience, and they are receiving this as a gift, not paying me....I am not tremendously skilled in scratch-building or modifications, either.....I have added styrene planks throughout her hull (I am building two, actually) for added strength, but is the error in the design that bad? (I remember some histrionics on a forum a few years ago about this...the back-and-forth was bordering on Sunni/Shia or Catholics/Protestants, but I never walked away with what the consensus was....

2) I have the Eduard Hull Plates (posted below via PhotoBucket; what is the preferred way to post what will be a fair amount of pics for the build--any recommendations? Is PhotoBucket=Evil=But it's cheap (still?) as a part of the "Big Ed" set of PE. Can't seem to find if they were installed before the 1945 surrender in Tokyo Bay. In other words, were they part of the original outfitting of the ship. My research and information from the museum does not have the close ups to make the call accurately. Can anyone help here?

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:32 am 

As you progress, may I encourage you to check out and follow the several build logs that are here depicting progress on this model.

- Kelly Quirk's build log: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=155426
- Voyteque's (Wojtek) log: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=165366
- Mine: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=160312

Larry:

thanks for the excellent references. All of the three builds show a real mastery of PE, which make so much difference in the final look and feel.

I have made a great deal of mistakes in life, but glad there remain very few pictures or video. (Not if, but) When I mess up, I will be sure to post them!

Rick

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:41 am 

rbauer wrote:

2) I have the Eduard Hull Plates (posted below via PhotoBucket; what is the preferred way to post what will be a fair amount of pics for the build--any recommendations? Is PhotoBucket=Evil=But it's cheap (still?) as a part of the "Big Ed" set of PE. Can't seem to find if they were installed before the 1945 surrender in Tokyo Bay. In other words, were they part of the original outfitting of the ship. My research and information from the museum does not have the close ups to make the call accurately. Can anyone help here?

They were part of the original outfit so feel free to add them. For picture uploading/posting I recommend imgur.com!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:01 pm 

Rick,

The hull plates (as noted above) were gusset plates that ARE part of the hull from the beginning - you will need to add those per the instructions that came with them.

As for the hull modifications, I would suggest looking over the hull and then the plans to see where the inaccuracies are located. I will email you a copy of the 1950 Booklet of General Plans USS MISSIOURI as the hull didn't change from 1944 to 1950 - if you can visualize the way the shape of the hull should flow, then you'll see that the model hull is much "fuller" in the after section (the after 19" of the hull are basically incorrect). The forward lower hull is also not shaped correctly but could slide by depending on your personal feelings after looking it over and comparing to the hull plan drawings. I did a small amount of work on my hull up forward and then called it quits. I have attached a few photos to show you my corrected hull prior to painting. My method was to fill the interior of the hull with Bondo, allow to cure, and then grind down the exterior until it matched the hull station templates I had cut out from the scaled plan sheet.

YOU WILL WANT TO DO ALL THIS WORK BEFORE ADDING ANYTHING TO THE HULL SIDES such as the hull plates.

Attachment:
File comment: Lower port side of hull after grinding off exterior excess skin (White Bondo shows thru)
Port Side_3 small.jpg
Port Side_3 small.jpg [ 199.59 KiB | Viewed 1670 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Fwd lower bow with station templates in place
Station Templates on Hull (Large).JPG
Station Templates on Hull (Large).JPG [ 71.78 KiB | Viewed 1670 times ]

In the case about the fwd part of the hull the opposite is true - the lower bow area is lacking the needed width at the bottom of the hull.

Here is the commentary I wrote up back in 2016 when I began keeping a log about the hull modifications:

The hull of the model needs to be mounted upside down on a stationary surface, so I shaped two basswood stands (one fwd, one aft) that could be bolted into the hull cross members with a couple small machine bolts on each stand. I then bolted the stand to my work surface to keep the model steady without movement.

The modeler will need a scaled set of hull templates to work from for the two areas that will be modified. These can be obtained by copying the body plan of the IOWA class from a good set of ship’s plans available from various online sources. You will need t cut out the various station elevations and mount on hardboard/cardboard etc. These will form the shape of the hull at that particular station along the length of the hull. The stations work out to be ¼” apart (1:200 scale) although I probably will only use every 3rd or 4th station (3/4” – 1” apart).
Attachment:
File comment: Mounting brackets located on top of hull prior to turning upside down to begin work
Hull wMounting Stands (Large).JPG
Hull wMounting Stands (Large).JPG [ 46.6 KiB | Viewed 1670 times ]

I hope this doesn't confuse you more, but just take it one step at a time. Decision making 1st to decide whether to tackle this or leave the hull "as is" would be in order before starting anything.

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:07 pm 

Hank:

Wow! Assuming I left the front of the hull slide unedited, how much "thinner" is the reduction to the back flanks of the hull? 10%, 5%, more?

Trying to get a sense of the pain threshold.

Might need some more red paint for the hull, too :)

I have not put the plates on, but that will be after the hull decision.

Rick

Report this post