The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:44 pm 

:woo_hoo: I think I made a little error and posted in the wrong forum, so here goes a re-try :D

My name is Igor (Rogi is Igor backwards) and I've been browsing the forum for a year or two now, only recently joining. I usually build model aircraft (Yugoslavian, Soviet, Japanese, US, German, Korean (both North and South) and Chinese subjects). I've also done tanks and figures but this is my first foray into Submarines.
The main modeller that inspired me to start building Naval vessels, Bill, a wonderful gentleman from our IPMS Chapter and a kind soul to everyone around him, passed away last year and this build (being my first Submarine ever) is dedicated to him, R.I.P Bill, you'll be forever missed by us.

The Build
A small amount of history on the PLAN 033 Submarine, the PLAN (People's Liberation Army Navy) acquired Romeo Submarines from the Soviet Union, which they domestically built, these domestic submarines were the 033 variant. Various improvements to the design were undertaken as some of the systems (refrigeration and cooling units) were deemed inadequate for the warm tropical climates in China. Further models were introduced with various upgrades to the design.

North Korea imported 7 boats from 1973 to 1975 and domestically assembled 70 other units from 1976 to 1995 (info provided from the net).
It was on one of these boats that Kim Jong-Un toured and inspected around 2014
Attachment:
kim-jong-un-submarine.jpg
kim-jong-un-submarine.jpg [ 31.34 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]

Attachment:
sub1.jpg
sub1.jpg [ 127.41 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]

Attachment:
sub2.jpg
sub2.jpg [ 145.02 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]

The model will depict a North Korean PLAN 033, maybe incorporating a Harbor scene but we will see how the build progresses and if my updates are frequent, made from a 1/700 scale Hobby Boss PLAN 033 kit.

The kit consists of 2 halves (both fuselage sections joined from the middle of the Submarine, not the top as is common in aircraft, the main "tower" (excuse me for the lack of nautical terms or expertise on them I have to learn as I go along ) which comes in 2 versions.

So far the progress has been gluing the two halves of the fuselage together and cleaning up the seam a little, as well as panel line fixing, due to the excellent construction no putty was needed. One half went in excellently and only required a day of sanding and clean up, the other on the other hand was a bit less forgiving and kept me occupied this last week. Here are the photos so far of the progress and some details in the kit.

The Aft section with the propeller is a separate piece that goes in smoothly and leaves no seam. I use silver paint lightly brushed over the seam in order to check it, a great and nifty little trick, makes sure you did the correction right :)
Attachment:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 65.8 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]

Attachment:
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 50.85 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]

Attachment:
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 82.63 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]

Other side of the Sub.
Attachment:
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 63.14 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]

Attachment:
6.jpg
6.jpg [ 62.56 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]

The top of the sub, beautiful detail in such a small scale, HobbyBoss really nailed this kit perfectly.
Attachment:
7.jpg
7.jpg [ 65.76 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]

Thank you all for any comments and suggestions, if the kit allow me to, I'll add some scratch built parts here and there. :)

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:57 am 
Sorry for the confusion but could a mod move this thread to the "Works in Progress" in the Picture Post section. Its been a tad tough to find the right section for this thread and just noticed that this is the full scratch thread :S not a kit with scratch built components thread. Thanks all :)

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:58 pm 

Guest wrote:
Sorry for the confusion but could a mod move this thread to the "Works in Progress" in the Picture Post section. Its been a tad tough to find the right section for this thread and just noticed that this is the full scratch thread :S not a kit with scratch built components thread. Thanks all :)

This was me but I was logged out of the account. If the topic could be moved it would be greatly appreciated :)

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:34 pm 

All moved! (I had left the "shadow topic" link in the Scratchbuild location so you can find your way to it, but now that you've seen it moved, I can now remove the shadow link)

Report this post