The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1/487 CV-5 and CV-6
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:37 pm 

Hello again.

It has been a while since I finished my last ship, the 1/426 Revell Pine Island. I know I'm not up to the standards of most of the modelers on the board, but you guys have been very inspirational to me so I thought I'd give this a try... This time around I would like to stretch my skill set a little so I have secured

1 Revell USS Yorktown to be completed circa 1939 (I thought about doing CV-6 in 1939, but the big black Y on the stack got me Yorktown it is).
1 Revell Battle of Midway Carrier to be completed as USS Enterprise during the Battle of Midway and or the Battle of Santa Cruz Island.
2 x GMM Yorktown class PE sets
Various reference books.
F3Fs and SBCs for the Yorktown and F4F-3s for the Enterprise form SNAFU by Echoco on Shapeways
TBDs and 5 in 38 Caliber singe open mounts and the Yorktown CV-5 air group and Enterprise CV-6 air group decals form Star Fighter Decals.

I hope that by posting here I will keep up with the projects but I must warn you, sometimes my progress approaches glacial speeds...

So it begins:

And already I have been beset by the Revell curse..

Gaps

and more gaps
also this is the first time I have removed the "Aztec Stairs" to be replaced, I hope, with some PE ladders for the GMM set.

I wasn't sure if the gaps around the bow and stern were due to my lack of skills or the Revell kits but several other online build reviews said it was more or less the kit...

I am now filling the gaps before adding the "side walls" to complete the hulls. Test fitting several them has revealed they will be just as gappy if not more so....

Anyway thanks for looking and I hope to have some more to show soon...

Mark B.

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: 1/487 CV-5 and CV-6
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:02 pm 

Trust me, the gaps aren't your doing. I remember the same thing happening when I first built those kits in 1987 or 1988. Good luck with this project and please keep us informed.

Jodie Peeler

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:10 pm 

will eventually do my 3 as Yorktown as early war\Midway, Hornet for the Doolittle Raid as the kit came with the Mitchell bombers & Enterprise late war. 2 other Yorktown kits will be kitbashed into the Ranger & the Wasp.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:31 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Excellent! Those old kits have good bones and a great hull shape. The flight deck reasonably matches BoGP plans, too. The basic kit is one of Revell's classic best.

-Steve Larsen

Catalogs of over 2000 products for scale modelers, most in 3D-printed gray resin - https://www.model-monkey.com/

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:53 pm 

Minor update:

I had to do a lot of work with my little sanding stick here..
1) Fill gap.
2) Let filler dry.
3) Sand down to deck.
4) Repeat (again and again and again)
But in the end look ma no gaps.

So on to the rest of the hulls and more gaps. I'm not sure why the gaps are so bad but they will be worked on this week as time permits.

GAPS

and More GAPS

Things went fine with the Battle of Midway kit above but then I encountered a bit of a set back with the Yorktown kit. When I went to cut the starboard hull part that goes under the island (Part #14) I found it was warped...

Top one is from BOM Carrier kit the bottom one is from the Yorktown kit.

Not only warped but shrunk as well. When I lined up the aft end of the part with the hull, there is "huge" gap at the forward end... Not to mention the fact that the warp makes the part look like a really hot fire took place there.... Why do I do this to myself... What do I see in these kits....

Oh well. On the longest of long shots, I did request a replacement part form Revell. Not sure though how I will proceed with this. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Any one out there have one of these old kit as a parts kit?

Any how thanks for looking.
Mark B.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:32 pm 

cut out the bad section & scratch build a replacement section.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:52 am 

DavidP wrote:
cut out the bad section & scratch build a replacement section.

Hey David! That's it exactly...
Thanks for reminding me why we are in this hobby in the first place and why I do this to myself...

Have a great week,
Mark B.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:24 am 

no problem, will try to. currently kitbashing an Arizona hull into the Arkansas.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:20 pm 

Brocky wrote:
Why do I do this to myself... What do I see in these kits....

The same thing I see every time I throw about 70% of the angled-deck Essex kit in the spares box and extensively modify what's left: because these old Revell kits reward you for a project well-executed, and you can't help loving these kits because for all their faults, they still got something right somehow.

Good work on the bow and stern gaps. If you can handle that, you can take care of the hangar deck gaps - and if you can handle that, then scratchbuilding a replacement for that warped part is a good way to stretch your abilities. Give it a shot.

Jodie Peeler

Report this post