The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:12 am 

Looking good Pete........you're motoring now!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:57 pm 

Phoenix673 wrote:
Looking good Pete........you're motoring now!

I was just about to do the next update and saw your comment, so I first say 'Thank you'..:)

Ok guys....I mentioned that I would be doing some soldering which I most certainly have been, took some time but have now done the various fittings which sit under the shelterdeck. I recall noting in another build thread a comment about the Pontos PE being a little delicate, I would concur with this on some of the items..I've barely touched the Pontos kit to date but part number 445 has very weak folds on the ends. One of them was falling apart as I removed it from the etch so beware those who follow. I got over this by carefully folding the end to it's position and quickly soldering it along the fold, I did each side separately before folding the rest of the part. First picture for tonight shows one of each of the parts concerned finished ready for painting.

And here are all of the fittings required for under the shelterdeck...they were first given a coat of etch primer before having their top coat of 507B, the large bollards seen were later sprayed black.

Two pictures to show the fittings in after being glued to the deck., first an overall view..

And finally a close up, sorry about the quality the light was low, if I can remember, I'll try to get a better shot later in daylight.. note that I have made a start on the plimsoll line, a couple of things to note, for '41' the colour changes from white to black above the waterline. Now Pontos include sets of both colours in their kit but they don't go high enough and they have a numeral which doesn't exist...they have 'XXXX' which should be 'XL' so for now I have only done the white and will give some thought to the black numeral's later.

What's next?...I may finish off the hawser'sand add the metal 'cable' plates to the deck once they are painted which I believe is a 'dark grey' colour. I can also make a start on the framework under the shelterdeck having received my plastruct order yesterday.. Lot's to keep me busy...:)

Thank's for looking in guys...

Pete

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:46 am 

Hi guys

I was going to show these two pictures in next weeks update but decided to show them now as there may be a few for the next update. These pictures concern the supporting pillars under the shelterdeck, I had shown a picture before that covered the inner pillar positions but the light was bad so not very clear...
First picture shows my method of getting the holes in the deck below in their correct positions, I'm lucky here as I have bigger machinery, in this case a mill which allows me to do such things with relative ease but I guess anyone could do the same using a small pillar drill. Before drilling the holes I needed to first glue the 'H' longitudinal beams that the pillars sit under. Having already drilled the holes into the shelterdeck and being happy with their positions I used these holes as reference points for where to position the beams placing them directly over (under) the holes and gluing in place. I'll show this in the update next week once I have fitted all of the 'X' axis 'I' beams. You can see in the picture that after lining the hole up for the mill I carefully drilled through the 'H' beam below and continued down to the forecastle deck underneath, I set the mill so that each hole in said deck only went in a short depth for the pillars to sit in. This is important as I intend to include the white centers on these pillars when painted and need to try and keep this white section uniform throughout. A word of advice for any who wish to do something similar, when drilling in fine plastic use the slowest speed and withdraw to clean the drill bit after going through the first deck before continuing to the next, if you don't you may find the lower holes are too big as plastic melts and may stick to the drill in such circumstances making the lower hole larger.

The second picture to give some idea of how things are looking, the pillars (brass rod) have deliberately been left over length, I will cover my reasons in a later update probably when the shelterdeck is glued permanently in place.

More soon

Pete

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:34 pm 

Good evening chaps/chapeses

I have more photo's than usual tonight, there may be another update before the weekend if I get some painting done tomorrow but I'll show what I've done so far this week to safe myself from too much typing in one go..:)

Last update I showed the pillars being drilled and mentioned that I first fitted the 'H' frame girders underneath so that I could drill through them for the pillars to sit under. I have now fitted the 'I' frame cross pieces, I have tried to follow the prototype and give some feel to how things looked under the shelterdeck. The first picture for tonight shows the state of play so far, it took a bit of working out to allow clearance for the superstructures that sit between the two decks. I haven't fitted 'I' beams everywhere as they can't be seen but I have tried to cover those areas that are easily seem. As best as I can tell and going by dimensions given in the AOTS the 'H' and 'I' frames are pretty much to scale, you guys can judge for yourselves in this picture.

Now, of course the thickness of the deck is way over scale so this frame work sits lower than it should. However when I test fitted the shelterdeck to see how things were looking I was very happy with the overall impression. The 'I' beam that go between the outer 'H' beam and the outer edge of the deck have been tapered so that they blend in to the decks edge. next picture shows how it's taking shape...

Next job was to do the various parts that needed to be fitted before I can paint the shelterdeck, now I probably do things different to most in so far as I like to use natural edges for when there's a colour change. What I mean by that is that I try to avoid needing to mask areas where there's a colour change if there are separate pieces that can do the job much better for me. For example the wooden deck and the PE metal deck sections for the shelterdeck, by leaving these off, spraying them before fitting I can achieve the best/neatest paintwork where deck meets splintershield etc. This has one drawback and that's the parts that sit on top of the metal decks, again these are mainly splintershields so for this reason you won't see the shields fitted before the main painting of the shelterdeck, this includes the rear wall with it's incorporated shield around the rear 4" gun as this sits partly over the wooden deck. Such parts as these will be painted independently and fitted later, hope that makes sense. First thing to determine is the exact position of said decks, most line up with various splintershields and thus are easy to position but the wooden deck needs locating properly first. On looking at the deck and the area around it's outer edge I chose to use the metal deck to locate the forward edge and the two brass strips that are glued on at the rear for the 4" shield to both locate and centralise the deck. Picture shows the deck taped down, with it in this position I glued the two brass strips one either side at the rear.

The next picture shows the two brass strips that I'll use to line up the wooden deck, it also shows a start being made on the rear walls, as you can see I have pre-drilled the portholes and in the process of using one of them to help line up the first brass section. For the vent I cut out a larger hole so that you the thin vent section is seen, in hindsight I could have done this for all of the windows to reduce the thickness, oh well..too late now. BTW the Admiral's windows are best left alone as there's a large step between inner and outer walls, the plastic is pretty close to what's required so best leave as is. I was going to glue these with superglue but soon thought better and did all the brass sections with epoxy due to the amount of handling that is still required.

I include this picture just to show the first two parts fitted..

The other side with windows,doors and davit supports fitted, I will leave the accommodation ladders until much later.

Here we have the boom clasps and swivel bracket fitted, I'm not too happy with Pronto's method of fitting these, they supply a template which is good for positioning the slip eye but not so good for the clasps which I'm assuming are supposed to be fitted using the template for positioning, not very practical. A bigger problem is the fact that the clasps are fitted edge on? not a good method for longevity at such an early stage. They could of course be left till later but I'm not a big fan of gluing parts to a painted surface, I just hope that I can get this sub assembly painted and fitted when it will have relative safety without loosing any of the small parts beforehand....

One more picture, I show the under section again as I have added some pipework following photo's, I could add more but where do you stop? there's more pipes/wiring, hammock hangers etc, etc that could be fitted if one so wished...

Tomorrow I hope to get the shelterdeck sprayed and left for a day before gluing in place with epoxy, before I do that I still have the vents to add, which first need modifying, or at least the rear does before fitting.

Thank's for looking in guy's...more soon..:)

Pete

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:15 pm 

Cracking job to date Pete.......your work is proving to be a real source of info for when I eventually get around to starting my Hood. Keep posting mate!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:23 pm 

Hi guys..

I managed to get what I had planned for today done so will update to finish off the week, in fact I got further than expected and have now fitted the sheldeck after painting, I used 'quick drying thinner which does speed things up a little.
First up was the modified vents, the forward pair I just cut out the embossed grill and fitted some scrap PE from the kit. I did the same to the rear vents but also made them look more like the vent in the first picture.

It's not easy to see what's going on in that photo, at first I thought the vent had been replaced with the higher dog legged trunking but on closer inspection it looks like this trunking is attached to the original vent sitting slightly behind as seen in the photo. There's certainly two structures clearly seen with the closest looking very much like the vent as supplied in the kit and so I decided to use it and add the trunking behind. I first reduced the height of the kit vent as it wouldn't work if making the trunk look anything like the photo. The reason is that the height between deck and ceiling is much less than the prototype and the reason for that is the deck being so much thicker than scale, naturally the most important measurement for the designer of the kit is the exterior dimension of the deck heights as these are seen from afar, the interior heights are less important and take second place to whats required to actually produce the kit, of course my added frame work only adds to this issue but it was a compromise that I was willing to make..
Next picture shows the vents as I see them before tidying and paint..

Close up of vents fitted..

This is the closest that I can get to match the angle of the photo, I have some paintwork to tidy up but it's getting their, next job here will be to paint and fit the pillars.

Lastly a picture to show the shelterdeck fitted, I dry fitted this a number of times before finally committing to glue making an adjustment here and there, I'm happy with the result, there's a very small gap where the deck angles down the side of the hull to the quarterdeck...I will take care of this and then dust over with some 507B.

Thanks for looking in guys, more next week...:)

Pete

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:45 pm 

You've got a great eye for details. Those supports under the deck are killer and are a great addition. Well done!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:24 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
You've got a great eye for details. Those supports under the deck are killer and are a great addition. Well done!

thank's Martin..

evening all..

I have been busy over the weekend placing the shelterdeck support pillars and painting/fitting the various metal/wood deck sections, I'm happy with the results and now looking forward to building the sub assemblies and all of the detailed PE.

i have 3 pictures to show, first up is the support pillars which were fitted by placing them through the top hole, a small drop of superglue on the bottom before placing into the lower hole, a sharp tap with a small hammer to ram it home and a larger drop of superglue around the pillar where it poked through the shelterdeck. Once the glue had set the protruding part of the pillar was ground off so it was flush with the deck. This method was used for all but two (one each side) where the pillar comes up within the rear 'UP' splintershields. These were cut to size first and carefully positioned with tweezers. Due to the wide angle lens it looks like the outside pillars are leaning outwards, they aren't, it's just the effect of the wide angle when used in close.

An overhead view to show the deck layout, the metal deck is made up of 4 main sections, another 4 smaller sections that fit inside the 'UP' shields and lastly the wooden deck section. Care is required to ensure they all line up ( I dry fitted everything first to get a feel of how things fitted) but Pontos have got these spot on, for reference I fitted the two large forward sections first, the two smaller side sections next, the 'UP' sections and lastly the wooden deck, this last part needs extra care as it needs to line up with a number of sections. All metal sections were painted prior to fitting, I painted by hand around the various positioning blocks in the appropriate colour to ensure that no foreign colours showed up around the edge of the decking, as it happens the Pontos fit is so good that this isn't really required, unless of course you don't get the wooden deck spot on, prudence states, paint the surrounds anyway just in case. The other place that needs painting is the area under the 'Admiral's platform', well only if you're modified this part to the correct profile.

Just for me, I then trimmed the various housings and placed them where they belong, in all a successful few days work.

It feels like the 'worlds my oyster' now as I can choose from a whole host of parts to do next, I guess that I should get back to the Admiral's platform next although i may fit the 4 stairways that lead down from the shelterdeck first and then the side walls and there supports to finish off the side of the hull......plenty to do...:)

cheers

Pete

Report this post