1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (COMPLETE)

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, JIM BAUMANN, Jon, Dan K

User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (COMPLETE)

Post by pascalemod »

Hi all, so Im starting on PoW in 1941 fit.

I really wanted to build one in full hull and Flyhawk finally offers one. It will be build up to keep company to my Trumpeter HMS Hood in 1941 fit. So 1941 April-May fit rather than the December Flyhawk offers. Think we can do this. :cool_1:

The kit is pretty detailed, with lots of parts. I will review it as I go.

So far I can make the following observations:

1) Plastic is soft and thin, not like Tamiya
2) Details are excellent
3) PE and resin add ons are extensive and should build into a great ship
4) Hull halves joining is the usual pain in the neck...
5) instructions are fairly clear
6) There is now stand for the ship (im supposed to build one?!)

I am going with the same Tamiya XF66 paint I used on Hood to show her wearing 507b at the time of Bismarck action. But possibly Ill weather her a lot to look like she did after her speed trials and before being repainted.

To do list will be to buiild up 3 UP launchers and less radars.
Attachments
26065881_1768464650129777_7111486250330095616_n.jpg
26065954_979071575579972_4770303678974263296_n.jpg
POW vs HOOD.jpg
26072173_142206949895185_6882363630717763584_n.jpg
Result! after 2 years of building!
Result! after 2 years of building!
Last edited by pascalemod on Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 12 times in total.
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 Prince of Wales - Flyhawk, 5/1941

Post by pascalemod »

So I started with the hull. It fits great when you put it together, but try gluing it and you have issues. It moves a lot, its quite thin. So I you gotta tape it off together tightly and put super thin glue and hope it binds.

I did this but still some seams visible and some joints werent perfect. I guess it wasnt as straight as I hoped, and I believe thin plastic is the reason. On a plus side, the deck just falls into it perfectly. I will add it later, after hull has been weathered but still lots to go before we get to that phase.


So here I am fixing the joints...
Attachments
Here is how it sits out of the box
Here is how it sits out of the box
Sanding and more sanding...
Sanding and more sanding...
This still needs work after primer went on it.
This still needs work after primer went on it.
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - Flyhawk, 5/1941

Post by pascalemod »

Finished weathering the hull with some preshading and chipping.

I have already gloss coated it since this pic, and will start weathering it properly with washes and salt streaks and whatnot. Then Ill also take care of some of the blemishes that stand out too much on the boot topping and some other areas. After that will give it a 9:1 diluted mist coat of oranges and greens and browns on the lower hull and in overall gray on the upper hull just to blend things together. I really wanna get that layered look on the boot topping where there is many whitish streaks on the black part and blackish streaks on the red antifouling part, without overdoing it of course, so will see how much masking tape will be used up in the process. :)
Attachments
PoW wip 4.jpg
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Aberdeenshire, Scotland, UK
Contact:

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - Flyhawk, 5/1941

Post by SovereignHobbies »

pascalemod wrote:Hi all, so Im starting on PoW in 1941 fit.

I really wanted to build one in full hull and Flyhawk finally offers one. It will be build up to keep company to my Trumpeter HMS Hood in 1941 fit. So 1941 May rather than the December Flyhawk offers. Think we can do this. :cool_1:

The kit is pretty detailed, with lots of parts. I will review it as I go.

So far I can make the following observations:

1) Plastic is soft and thin, not like Tamiya
2) Details are excellent
3) PE and resin add ons are extensive and should build into a great ship
4) Hull halves joining is the usual pain in the neck...
5) instructions are fairly clear
6) There is now stand for the ship (im supposed to build one?!)

Painting instructions tell us how 507a and 507b should look in Tamiya paints, which is new. I am going with the same Tamiya XF66 I used on Hood to show her wearing 507b at the time of Bismarck action.

To do list will be to buiild up 3 UP launchers and less radars.
507B was not in use at time of Bismarck action. By implication of the order to entirely suspend enamel use in 1940, 507B was discontinued as of the same date.
James Duff
Sovereign Hobbies Ltd
http://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - Flyhawk, 5/1941

Post by pascalemod »

SovereignHobbies wrote: 507B was not in use at time of Bismarck action. By implication of the order to entirely suspend enamel use in 1940, 507B was discontinued as of the same date.
If you detach yourself from "507B" for a sec and look at the pic I posted, does that color look wrong to you? I mean Hood Association says that Hood was 507B, based on wreck and photos, and PoW pics indicate it was some medium gray similar to Hood, etc. So im going with some medium gray, call it whatever you want.

Can you post a color chip of what PoW was painted during Bismarck action? And Tamiya alternative?
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Aberdeenshire, Scotland, UK
Contact:

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - Flyhawk, 5/1941

Post by SovereignHobbies »

pascalemod wrote:
SovereignHobbies wrote: 507B was not in use at time of Bismarck action. By implication of the order to entirely suspend enamel use in 1940, 507B was discontinued as of the same date.
If you detach yourself from "507B" for a sec and look at the pic I posted, does that color look wrong to you? I mean Hood Association says that Hood was 507B, based on wreck and photos, and PoW pics indicate it was some medium gray similar to Hood, etc. So im going with some medium gray, call it whatever you want.

Can you post a color chip of what PoW was painted during Bismarck action? And Tamiya alternative?
I can do one better my friend :thumbs_up_1:

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=166889

This should clear up the matter of confused nomenclature of Dark Grey, Home Fleet Shade. It also contains numerous colour renders showing how they compare. I can't help with Tamiya however because I don't own many and indeed it would be contrary to my own interests to do so even if I could because I make paint to sell. It seems a good idea to make our research conclusions available for free because it improves awareness and reduces confusion on what isn't in truth a particularly complicated subject - it has just been made confusing by incorrect information in circulation which failed to reconcile well with other types of reference material such as the Admiralty's original documentation, photographs, cine film reels etc. :thumbs_up_1:

I will contact Frank Allen at the Hood Association and help if I can. They've been trying to keep the site up to date off the back of tid-bits posted here and perhaps elsewhere over the past year or two but like everyone they have been victims of a few decades' worth of confusion caused by the incorrect assertion that 507A, 507B and 507C were three distinct shades. The website used to list 507A and 507B as separate shades as has been the widely understood situation until very recently. I have a personal theory on where that error originates, but will not go in to writing on that to avoid potential for litigation. Published works on Royal Navy WW2 camouflage written in the 1970s (e.g. by Peter Hodges) were better and contained fewer verifiable errors than some written more recently.

This here https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/page ... -june-1942 is the first known reference to a "medium grey" and even the wording used here (written carefully as is the British armed forces way) leaves no room for interpretation. From 1936 to 1941 the Home Fleet used "Dark Grey, Home Fleet Shade" sometimes simply called "Dark Grey" or "Home Fleet Grey". In parallel with this, ships on foreign stations used "Light Grey", sometimes called "Foreign Stations Grey" or "Mediterranean Grey". If there was a medium grey in existence, the Admiralty and DTSD were unaware of it. The context of this unnamed medium grey is also clear. It is expressly for use in emergency camouflage where there isn't time to obtain or apply a proper pattern design in the correct paints. This emergency option is republished again in CB.3098 which introduced the simplified and rationalised camouflage paints system of G5, G10, B15, G20, B30, G45 and B55 in May 1943, then again in 1945. The possibility of a who capital ship being painted in a medium grey is something which could be debated. I feel that's unlikely.

At any rate, 507A and 507B were identical save that 507B had 10 pints of Pattern 11 enamel paint (itself the colour of Dark Grey, Home Fleet Shade) added per hundred weight. Enamel use was ordered to be discontinued in 1940 for war economies, but it is possible that at least some ships had their existing 507B over-painted with 507A or civilian manufactured matt paint of equivalent shade to reduce reflections and glare associated with somewhat shiny 507B which are undesirable traits in war time.

Does that help? As far as your model goes, you're probably still in the right ball-park shade wise and I am not saying you need to repaint anything. You'll see from the renders in the first linked doc above that the real appearance of Home Fleet Grey was somewhere between Snyder & Short's 507A (which is too dark) and 507B (which is too light). As a ship commissioned in 1941 many months after the Admiralty ordered the end of enamel use (although using up stocks was ok) it's almost certain that HMS Prince of Wales left to intercept Bismarck wearing a dockyard formula matt paint of Dark Grey, Home Fleet Shade.

Also - the Flyhawk kit looks superb. I might get one for my wife who is enjoying 1/700. I am excited about their forthcoming 1/350 kit of same subject :cool_2:
James Duff
Sovereign Hobbies Ltd
http://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - Flyhawk, 5/1941

Post by pascalemod »

SovereignHobbies wrote:
Does that help? As far as your model goes, you're probably still in the right ball-park shade wise and I am not saying you need to repaint anything. You'll see from the renders in the first linked doc above that the real appearance of Home Fleet Grey was somewhere between Snyder & Short's 507A (which is too dark) and 507B (which is too light). As a ship commissioned in 1941 many months after the Admiralty ordered the end of enamel use (although using up stocks was ok) it's almost certain that HMS Prince of Wales left to intercept Bismarck wearing a dockyard formula matt paint of Dark Grey, Home Fleet Shade.

Also - the Flyhawk kit looks superb. I might get one for my wife who is enjoying 1/700. I am excited about their forthcoming 1/350 kit of same subject :cool_2:
Top post mate. Thanks! Happy to hear Im in the ballpark, thats good. The weathering and washes tend to darken the ship, my Hood looks darker than PoW at this point, due to that. So thats great, as I gather my paint could go a little darker rather than lighter.

At any rate, I think if HMS Hood Association with your help granted, get the matter sorted, and few nice vector graphics put up of each ship in correct shades in different career points it would be massively helpful to modellers. And remove wrong stuff might I add, as the wrong stuff is pulluting a little now.

And on topic of PoW / the thing is super well made but also very very detailed. Should be fun to build but all the extras it carries I find a little daunting!
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - Flyhawk, 5/1941

Post by pascalemod »

Ive restarted the project but redoing the hull plating. Think it will be better that way.
Attachments
55E6E62A-93C7-414E-AB70-AB48716E71D4.JPG
95D22348-F780-45C3-ACAA-D20DEF1DB950.JPG
55E350DA-0362-4082-A8CC-D34AA02C1E25.JPG
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - Flyhawk, 5/1941

Post by pascalemod »

And I also started work on superstructures.

As visible I left the boot for the paravanes off. I dunno if this is correct. If anyone can prove it is wrong please let me know. FLyhawk leaves this up to you to decide. Same goes about anchors. Flyhawk says can be one or two starboard anchors...Strange.
Attachments
221FF3F6-E3F8-48D3-9850-1A44EB956EAA.JPG
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - Flyhawk, 5/1941

Post by pascalemod »

Did a bit of work on superstructures and next onto main armament.

Here is also one image of PoW which I think will model as the paint scheme.
Attachments
81175E06-FD90-46AB-8556-3B04511BC142.JPG
E617D7A3-4CE2-4F0F-9A16-EEED8F912E04.JPG
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
Martocticvs
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:59 am
Contact:

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (Flyhawk)

Post by Martocticvs »

That's essentially the technique I intend to employ on my Duke of York build, for the hull plating/strakes. Will be interesting to see how it turns out on yours! Looking good so far :smallsmile:
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (Flyhawk)

Post by pascalemod »

Martocticvs wrote:That's essentially the technique I intend to employ on my Duke of York build, for the hull plating/strakes. Will be interesting to see how it turns out on yours! Looking good so far :smallsmile:
I found that the texture is enough for dry brushing actually. You can always complement it by sharp pencil with tape applied as a guide - that seems to work. Im far away from painting process though and still assembling.

Here is the latest work in progress of guns in place now, radars, directors too.
Attachments
C9103782-C5A6-4DE5-A194-6E56D2EE69CD (1).jpg
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (Flyhawk)

Post by pascalemod »

Actually Ive been wondering what goes here actually in April-May 1941?

Any thoughts? FLyhawk proposes in their 5.41 kit to install PomPom directors but they werent there (the pom poms) yet so this seems wonky, especially aft. Aft had a searchlight as I Can tell. but the hacs tower? Halp...
Attachments
IMG_8050 (1).jpg
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (Flyhawk)

Post by pascalemod »

DavidP wrote:she had 2 in front & 2 beside the forward stack. I can see the platforms in your picture.
Thanks David, got this one sorted out. I was looking for UP directors that goes into the tubs.
https://blog.firedrake.org/archive/2015/01/7521.jpg This pic shows what goes in.

Next question is really about the paravane boot. I see Flyhawk and bunch of modelers leave it out, while others keep it. What should I do with it? Leave it off or scratch build one (I lost the one that was in kit but as far as scratch building things, this one's easy).
Attachments
4435A47E-2610-46AD-BE78-7CF1092EF9A3.JPG
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (Flyhawk)

Post by pascalemod »

DavidP wrote:are you going to install the blast shields around the UP mounts on the main turrets?
Of course, have to scratch build those though. Got the 12.41 kit so...

That's probably last thing I need to scratch build for it plus those tiny UPS radars.
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring 1941 - ready for acti

Post by pascalemod »

And here comes the PE...

I spent few hours building the cranes and adding odd railings here and there. Quite fiddly but feels like a very nice pleasant build so far.. I havent tackled the masts, mind.
Attachments
DD5E7CD7-EB78-4B33-9EAC-73DD88D23CFE.JPG
105E6266-BC28-4628-A122-C4EE6FC74C32.JPG
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring 1941 - ready for acti

Post by pascalemod »

DavidP wrote:have you glued the main deck to the hull or the 01 decks to the main deck as does not appear so?
None are glued. Ive only glued superstructure 1, 2, and 3 themselves, but deck is separate and main structures are dry fitted. Still to do more railings. Im gonna put off painting as much as possible this time, and do it all at once later. I noticed just how much time I waste doing sub assemblies while painted, so Im trying a bit different approach. Above you see is a ship after 5 days of building.

Here how she sits all dry fit. Im not sure how much of the masts I wanna rebuild with brass next.. :S
Attachments
Here how she sits all dry fit.
Here how she sits all dry fit.
94AB4ABD-04E3-42A8-978B-65F64515B8B8.jpg
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
marijn van gils
Posts: 2750
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:24 am
Location: Belgium

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring 1941 - ready for acti

Post by marijn van gils »

Very good PE work, and also good job on the hull plating! :thumbs_up_1:

The base kit looks amazing too BTW.
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring 1941 - ready for acti

Post by pascalemod »

marijn van gils wrote:Very good PE work, and also good job on the hull plating! :thumbs_up_1:

The base kit looks amazing too BTW.
Thank you Marijn! It is a great kit in base form, but we can't help ourself and start detailing it anyway!

I had a pause today but it is an excuse to bust out the light box and snap a few shot of the ship next to its Denmark Strait companions/adversaries.
Attachments
B0294D28-63D7-4079-970D-B015FD5AFA3F.jpg
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
Themongoose
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:28 am
Location: Cincinnati

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - Flyhawk, 5/1941

Post by Themongoose »

pascalemod wrote:Ive restarted the project but redoing the hull plating. Think it will be better that way.
What are you using for the new hull plating? That is looking really good! Can�t wait to see you put some paint on her.
In the shipyard - Trumpeter 1/350 USS Kitty Hawk
Post Reply

Return to “Works in Progress”