The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 60  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:24 am 

I can feel with you, I hate masking and the fear that one might rip off previous layers of paint. That's why life of those people, who build heavivly 'weathered' models is so much easier, they can hide all these mistakes.

I had the same problem, when trying to repair chipped areas of paint, that the outline remains visible, because one effectivel increases the thickness of the edges with each new layer of paint. Once solution is to first re-paint most of the area, but not up to the edges. In a second step fill in the rim, carefully painting only up to the ripped each. However, this is much easier said than actually done :whistle:

I would indeed work from light to dark colours and found that on a coat of light coloured acrylic the black usually covers well, when brush-painted.

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:52 am 

Yes! Yes! Yes! :woo_hoo: The colour is coming on...
Will watch this proceeding very closely now...

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:39 am 

Man, that is a lot of masking, but it does pay off. Even with a few taping mishaps. Just beautiful work.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:51 pm 

Thanks guys! :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile:
I will try to post small updates a bit more regularly from now on. ;)

dafi wrote:
Anyway do not bother too much for the correct color of the patches. My estimation - seen by the missing industrial standards - is, that the outside of the ships must have been a patchwork of different colors, as I suppose that each barrel had a different shade ...

Indeed! And ochre being a natural earth pigment, there could be a lot of variation...
For Victory, I tried to aim for her current colour, but a bit on the yellow cream side. It is easier to make it a bit more pinkish later on, more so than get it more yellowish from a pinkish base. Anyway, there will still be quite some variation in her colours added later...

wefalck wrote:
IThat's why life of those people, who build heavivly 'weathered' models is so much easier, they can hide all these mistakes.

Haha! Well, weathering does provide some opportunities for hiding imperfections indeed, and I will most certainly make full use of that here too! :big_grin:
But those opportunities are still pretty limited if the weathering is to be done to scale (regardless of how heavy) and with finesse. And of course well-done weathering also is a challenge in itself, with many possible variations... ;)

wefalck wrote:
I would indeed work from light to dark colours and found that on a coat of light coloured acrylic the black usually covers well, when brush-painted.

Yes, Dark colours cover lighter ones much more easily indeed.
But I also don't do the black in one coat. Instead, I use at least two and often 3 thin layers to get a smooth and even covering coat. It adds to the time spent on base-coating of course, but the result is much better than one thick layer. Light over dark is also possible, it just takes more layers...

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:23 am 

Thank you for the update Marijn!

It is a great joy for me to see this project getting it's battle colours ;)
I have to agree with you with the need of the base colour to be perfect, to accept colour modulation (filters, highlights, weathering)... if you make a poor job earlier it will show, no matter how you try to hide it!

Again THANK YOU
Cheers,
Rui

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:15 am 

arghhh!

... masking tape .... the enemy.
I avoid airbrushing --as you know-- being a brush bludger by preference... :big_grin: :cool_2:

I mist confess I have not had that many positive experiences wityh masking tape...

suffering bleed and lines thar are just not sharp enough !
and on many of my model I have resorted to using a very thin decal strip line as the demarcation edge--
I then paint up and over it
This worked well --the demarcation line between the black and the white on the Normandie
( where any tiny error turns into a glaring errors-- being ... errr ...black and white...!!

I must admit that the low tack DEAD sharp edged metallic foil tapes of the " fingernail " tapes work better than taniya tape

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw ... e&_sacat=0

maybe a combination of all the above media to get better edges ?
best wishes
JB

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:20 am 

I also intend to use this methodf ( try !! )

on my the planned scartch 1/700 BRETAGNE 130 gun ship

==> mucch straighter lines though on this era of ship !

Attachments:
9dh9o952xxl51.jpg
9dh9o952xxl51.jpg [ 135.44 KiB | Viewed 973 times ]
2Fi06382_Port_militaire_de_Brest.jpg
2Fi06382_Port_militaire_de_Brest.jpg [ 1.28 MiB | Viewed 973 times ]

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:28 am 

I've seen people use Bare Metal Foil in place of masking tape to good effect before. Allows for a much sharper line, less of a ridge since it's so much thinner than tape, and I think less prone to bleed too. I do not know how the adhesive compares though so testing would be needed, and I imagine it would be a much more expensive option!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:49 am 

Thanks guys for all the input!

Certainly some stuff to try out on the next project... All airbrushing is finished for this one.

Because of the whales and other details the lines follow or cross, I did expect very imperfect results from the masking and airbrushing, whatever tape I would use. So anyway a lot of correcting and tidying up by brush of rough edges and other mishaps is necessary. I'm still very much in the process of that, and the above photo's certainly do show many imperfections (and bigger mistakes! ;) ) I still have to work on.
Also, I rely a lot on shading of corners, edges and details to sharpen them up, which will follow later. Especially for the edges of the whales, this will be pretty important.

But the decal strip is a great technique, that I can still use if some line keeps giving me trouble! ;)
And I will get me some metal foil to try in the future. I was rather disappointed with the Tamiya masking tape this time (I had much better experiences with it on the previous projects, but those required less masking).

BTW, I'm looking forward to your Bretagne very much, Jim!
1/700 scale is pretty tiny for the details of these ships. I'm curious how you will tackle them!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:36 am 

Looks great, Marijn! Will you have this with you for some of us to see at SME in three weeks?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:52 am 

Certainly! Unfortunately, it is now in it's least 'presentable' state possible, but I'll bring it anyway... :big_grin:

So I'm guessing that means you'll be there too? It will be great to finally meet in person! :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:23 am 

Devin wrote:
Looks great, Marijn! Will you have this with you for some of us to see at SME in three weeks?

SME? What you're referring to? I missed something?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:18 pm 

It's actually WME (World Model Expo) in Veldhoven.

It is the World Expo that is organized only every three years, each time on a different location and by a different local organization.
This time it is on the location and by the organization of the annual SMC (Scale Model Challenge) show, hence the confusion I guess... :big_grin:

The World Expo is figure-centric, but because of the strong tradition of SMC with plastic modelling I expect a very strong turnout for this too. The strongest will be armour for sure, but it's up to us to get some ship models there too! ;)
Anyway, I'll be there for the full 3 days, and I'm looking forward to it a lot! :)

For more information: https://www.wme2020.com/

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:33 pm 

I'll try to get there, maybe on the Saturday or Sunday, can't tell yet.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:38 pm 

When you come back from Veldhoven, send us a packet of photos! :wave_1: :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile:

Jean

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:34 pm 

j.mahieux wrote:
When you come back from Veldhoven, send us a packet of photos! :wave_1: :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile:

Jean

if I get there, I will use my eyes (and camera) well. My main objective will be meeting Marijn and study his dio in progress!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:29 am 

marijn van gils wrote:
Thanks guys! :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile:

Indeed, it has been two months already… :shock:

Did you forget to degrease the parts or you think the paint peeled because resin was seeping from under the paint? I have used the tamiya masking tape, and even stronger all weather blue tape and have rarely had paint lifting like it did (basically only once, on my Washington build). So Im very surprised you suffered from this, considering your experience. Id guess just a coat was thin on primer and resin was a bit greasy, or just a finger print got in the way. Either way, this has to be pretty rare event to worry about it.

And certainly weathering isnt a tool to hide stuff like this. :)

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:04 pm 

marijn van gils wrote:
So I'm guessing that means you'll be there too? It will be great to finally meet in person! :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile:

Unless something goes horribly wrong, yes, the wife and I will be there. Tickets bought, room booked!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:24 am 

marijn van gils wrote:
It's actually WME (World Model Expo) in Veldhoven.

It is the World Expo that is organized only every three years, each time on a different location and by a different local organization.
This time it is on the location and by the organization of the annual SMC (Scale Model Challenge) show, hence the confusion I guess... :big_grin:

The World Expo is figure-centric, but because of the strong tradition of SMC with plastic modelling I expect a very strong turnout for this too. The strongest will be armour for sure, but it's up to us to get some ship models there too! ;)
Anyway, I'll be there for the full 3 days, and I'm looking forward to it a lot! :)

For more information: https://www.wme2020.com/

I'll be submitting 2 ships as well. Not anywhere near Marijn's quality, but good enough to be proud of.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:29 am 

Devin wrote:
Unless something goes horribly wrong, yes, the wife and I will be there. Tickets bought, room booked!

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
I'll try to get there, maybe on the Saturday or Sunday, can't tell yet.

Janssen wrote:
I'll be submitting 2 ships as well.

Great! More reasons for me to be looking forward to a great weekend! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 60  Next