The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:26 pm 

Hi all, I'm back. :wave_1:

After a few years of too many expensive, overly ambitious and stalled-out/failed projects I was almost ready to throw in the towel and quit scale modeling altogether. I retreated from the modeling interwebs, boxed up and/or got rid of a bunch of stuff and took some time to do other things... but the urge to build came back (it always does, given enough time!) so here I am for another go at it.

One of my biggest modeling regrets of the past was my first Big Bismarck: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=121249 ; I got maybe 80% finished but the model was heavily damaged during a move and I never went back to it.

I did buy a second kit back then however... and as this particular Trumpy kit has probably more aftermarket offerings than any other ship model in existence I succumbed to temptation and have collected various extras for a future build here and there over the years.

As for the kit itself, there are several things I don't like about it OOTB but with some mods and the combined might of the aftermarket I believe it has the greatest potential of all the 1/200 kits and is a fascinating as well as famous subject to boot.

Anyway, I need a winter project to to keep me busy and I feel like it's time to put together my fantasy "Überbismarck" and chase my personal scale modeling "holy grail"; a 1/200 ship that looks convincingly realistic even up close and under magnification. I'll never get there of course, but I'm hoping I can at least produce some serious eye candy.

So, here's what I've got:

The Pontos 1/200 Bismarck sets, both the regular and advanced add-on set.
KA MK1 Bismarck Value pack
Every DKM Veteran Models resin set (including their newly released stuff)
Scaledecks Bismarck deck
3d Printed anchor chains
Archer rivets
various other small doo-dads I may or may not use as well as salvage from Bissy #1

The Scaledecks offering is especially impressive to me... no longer will I have to put up with the unrealistic color, texture and wood grain of older style laser-burned stick-on decks OR go though masking-hell trying to get the look of hundreds of slightly different shaded individual planks... :woo_hoo: Here are KA, Pontos and Scaledecks for comparison:

Now I have done some work previously on this kit and did/am doing quite a bit of modification in an attempt to accurize the "Bissy canoe" Trumpeter gives us and make it my own. I ended up undoing my earlier attempt to copy the squarish hull features on the bottom of the actual ship however as it just wasn't working out to my satisfaction and I'm getting old enough now to realize that nobody really cares what's on the bottom of a ship where nobody can see it so maybe I shouldn't either. :heh:

The original hull also had a bit of a "banana" shape to it and the keel was not totally level like it should be which needed to be addressed.

Anyway, I also have a 1/100 Bismarck hull and plans that I'm saving for retirement or something so I've tried to use it as a guide and am going for my own "artist's impression" of the hull that is closer to reality and doesn't scream "Trumpeter (mal)engineering" but isn't too fussy about perfection shapewise while still looking the part and being convincing scale-wise.

For comparison: lower hull this build, center Trumpy stock (my first build) and upper 1/100 hull:

...and checking the new hull vs the plan cross sections:

I added a lot of material to the hull as well as a lot of sanding; now Bissy sits on a level keel and more closely matches the plan cross sections. I also ground out from behind and/or replaced warped hull portholes and have the bar step holes ready to go:

... step 1 on doing a little bit of stern reshaping to better match the plans too:

... had to fix a couple portholes I did previously as they were slightly crooked:

Finally, some inspiration for things to come using the broken superstructure parts of Bissy #1:

My project goals:

-Aiming for Bismarck as she appeared in the late fall-early winter of 1940 (no stripes, giant swastikas painted on the decks, no rangefinder mounted to conning tower and sans many later small improvements).

-Looking for a very clean and crisp build, very little (maybe no) weathering, adding craptons of details and trying for an accurate appearance while not getting bogged down in rivet-counting or adding details/reshaping mods which detract rather than add to look of the model.

-Doing something on Bismarck no matter how small +adding a thread update at least once a week to keep the project moving forward.

This should be fun! :big_grin:

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

Last edited by Channell on Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:09 pm 

Sounds like you've got a great project planed out! Looking forward to seeing your progress on this. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:10 am 

Guess who's back...
...back again!
Channell's back...
...tell a friend!
Guess who's back...
Guess who's back...
Guess who's back...

I'll see myself out... :big_grin: :wave_1:

On the ways:
1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson
1/700 Tamiya USS Yorktown CV-5

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109
1/35 Tamiya "Pibber" Patrol Boat
1/350 Trumpeter USS Yorktown CV-10

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:36 am 

Looking forward to this as I have just ordered the same.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:39 am 

Goodwood wrote:
Guess who's back...
...back again!
Channell's back...
...tell a friend!
Guess who's back...
Guess who's back...
Guess who's back...

I'll see myself out... :big_grin: :wave_1:

Ohhh.. I get a song? I feel so fancy! :big_grin: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:45 am 

Cannonball wrote:
Looking forward to this as I have just ordered the same.

It's a great time to start one... good things come to those who wait 10 years for the aftermarket to finally deliver. :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:01 am 

Good to see you back and on the Bissy again. I've just started off with mine and will be following your build closely.

Need to ask for your advice with something though. I have the KA Mk1 Deluxe Set, I was wondering if the PONTOS advanced set has enough additional details to bother with.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:52 am 

Helm wrote:
Good to see you back and on the Bissy again. I've just started off with mine and will be following your build closely.

Need to ask for your advice with something though. I have the KA Mk1 Deluxe Set, I was wondering if the PONTOS advanced set has enough additional details to bother with.

I guess it really depends on how crazy you want to get... the Pontos set is better in every way in my opinion and the advanced add on set adds some crazy stuff like replacements for the big rectangular louvered vents and PE replacements/additions for all the exterior cabling on the bulkheads. I haven't tried putting one of the louvers together yet but looking at the fret I can see it's got the potential to be a serious PITA.... worth it to me though (I think :eyes_spinning: ).

That said, I did my first Bismarck with the KA deluxe set and I liked it; I found the set fairly easy to work with and it really took the kit to the next level by itself.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:21 pm 

Jason, I read the entire original build and it's a shame that was damaged during your move. Can you explain what was damaged? It looks like some of the pieces that were done on Bissy 1 are salvageable for this project (but like you, I probably would want to start out with a clean slate).

I look forward to your progress!

Current Build
USS Oregon
USS Iowa (mothballed)

Planned builds
USS Wisconsin
USS New Jersey
USS Alaska

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:02 am 

What happened to your 200 scale Hood?. Hope you find the motivation to continue. Have pressed on regardless
with my own project and believe me 'she' makes a mighty fine model. Still a long way to go, but hope you tell
us you will return to this project. You will not be disappointed.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:04 am 

itchygroin wrote:
Jason, I read the entire original build and it's a shame that was damaged during your move. Can you explain what was damaged? It looks like some of the pieces that were done on Bissy 1 are salvageable for this project (but like you, I probably would want to start out with a clean slate).

I look forward to your progress!

Bissy #1 got dropped in a snowy self-storage lot; the superstructure and many small parts weren't glued on yet so the whole thing more or less disintegrated and flew everywhere. Another 5 years in a box finished the process.

My intentions are to start with a clean slate but it is nice that I have options just in case. Besides, I think I can do better these days anyway. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:31 am 

Timhan wrote:
What happened to your 200 scale Hood?. Hope you find the motivation to continue. Have pressed on regardless
with my own project and believe me 'she' makes a mighty fine model. Still a long way to go, but hope you tell
us you will return to this project. You will not be disappointed.

I still have it... I got bogged down in mod hell, ran into multiple issues, made some mistakes and got frustrated, which lead to my "vacation" from scale modeling for the past year or so.

I still have several big projects stashed away for the future and I after I felt like I was ready to jump back into the water I thought long and hard about which one to take on... my choices were down to restarting the Hood, this one, the Trumpy 1/48 U-boat, 1/196 Indianapolis or 1/200 Mikasa.

Everyone can collectively groan now ... not ANOTHER Bismarck :sleepy: and yeah, I know there are many, many online builds of this kit, but this project checks off all the right boxes in my head, will be different from any "Big Bissy" build I've seen thus far and nobody is paying me to build or post my projects soo.... :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:19 pm 

Weekly log #2:

Moving ahead... most of my building time has gone into trying to get the hull ready to go. After adding some styrene scrap to block light transmittal between the portholes I permanently attached the main deck and have been doing repeated bouts of sand-putty-primer to get everything smooth. Still some more work to do.

While waiting for primer to dry I've also been doing prep work on the first tier of the superstructure:

I previously opened up the portholes, ground them out from behind and have opened up the vents too... next came scraping and sanding off virtually all the kit details, which will be replaced by a scary amount of Pontos PE.

It turns out the 4 rounded forward platform extensions for the 10.5 cm guns are solid no-slip plates just like the rest of the deck around them (unlike the aft 4, which have open grates) but there is a raised line though them that matches the top-down profile of the superstructure bulkheads (you can see 'em on the wreck) and Trumpeter didn't mold them all that great, so to satisfy my OCD I carefully cut them off and will reassemble them with some more added detail later:

One part of the Pontos details that had me worried are the PE replacements for the many large rectangular louver vents. I've seen a couple of crooked looking ones online that obviously put up a struggle against their builders and even more modelers using this set seem to have skipped them altogether so I figured they must be an unholy PITA to put together.

Anyway, I had to try putting a couple vents together just to make sure I could actually do them as the kit moldings are actually not all that bad and the PE would detract more than help if I couldn't pull 'em off.

Happy to report that even though they're a pain I'll manage... the PE vents will add a lot to the finished model! :woo_hoo:

I'm gonna try to update every weekend; my work schedule leaves me 3 whole days a week to play so I should hopefully be able to bring something new to the table every time, though I plan on taking my time on this project and giving it my best effort without cutting any corners.

Comments, critique, advice, random musing and bad jokes are welcome as always! :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:06 pm 

Howdy Jason!

Golly, it's good to hear from you! I was afraid you'd given up and there's far too few of us 1:200 idiots around as it is. :lol_3: I, too, was gone for several months due to my knee replacements but as of late I've been doing a pretty good job of doing something on my ship at least 2-3 evenings a week. My problem right now is that I keep seeing chickens and get distracted on what I should be concentrating on. :whistle: For example, right now I need to finish painting the 5" gun turrets and then start on the 36" spotlights next. Instead, what am I doing? Trying to come up with a way of making realistic looking loudspeakers (The ones in the Pontos Advanced Detail kit are crap!) And before that I was trying to find what a Stokes Litter looked like, as the TFD plans indicate there were several mounted to the sides of the superstructure. But, in spite of all my deviations, I really enjoy this hobby, and I hope you approach it this time with a different attitude that you had a year ago. It doesn't have to be 100% perfect and if you're having fun, that's what's important. I know enough about you to know that whatever you do will be a masterpiece and I can't wait to follow this build.

Welcome back! :wave_1:

Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:37 am 

good luck with your build :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:52 pm 

Hey Jason, glad to see someone taking Bismark 40 on. Another small but interesting detail, is the ammo boxes on S2 & P2 15cm turrets during this time. Veteran ammo box set will come in handy. Also, there was a unique paint scheme used in October 40. Hull had slightly darker paint on bow, back to 1st 15cm turrets, and stern back to muzzles of 38cm D turret guns. Boot topping was not as dark as later, and A 38cm turret had rangefinder hoods. Very cool stuff.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:17 pm 
Welcome back Jason,

Good to see you working on your original monster project. I too have taken a good deal of time off from modeling especially these huge 1/200 projects. Funds have been on the mend after constructing my Bismarck over a year ago.

Well anyhow it's great see the passion again. You have a large following here, I included.

Bill

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:30 am 

steinerman wrote:
Howdy Jason!

Golly, it's good to hear from you! I was afraid you'd given up and there's far too few of us 1:200 idiots around as it is. :lol_3: I, too, was gone for several months due to my knee replacements but as of late I've been doing a pretty good job of doing something on my ship at least 2-3 evenings a week. My problem right now is that I keep seeing chickens and get distracted on what I should be concentrating on. :whistle: For example, right now I need to finish painting the 5" gun turrets and then start on the 36" spotlights next. Instead, what am I doing? Trying to come up with a way of making realistic looking loudspeakers (The ones in the Pontos Advanced Detail kit are crap!) And before that I was trying to find what a Stokes Litter looked like, as the TFD plans indicate there were several mounted to the sides of the superstructure. But, in spite of all my deviations, I really enjoy this hobby, and I hope you approach it this time with a different attitude that you had a year ago. It doesn't have to be 100% perfect and if you're having fun, that's what's important. I know enough about you to know that whatever you do will be a masterpiece and I can't wait to follow this build.

Welcome back! :wave_1:

Good to hear from you too, Larry! Gotta say, I admire your ability to stick with your Big Mo for such a long time and she's looking amazing. I'm working on growing up finally so I can stop flitting about between projects without ever finishing... that kind of thing definitely ends up sucking more fun out the hobby that adding to it in the long run. :cool_1:

Don't know what it is with me and 1/200 scale... there's just something magical about it so I keep going back despite my insane need to totally re-engineer these big Trumpy kits.

Dan Banks wrote:
Hey Jason, glad to see someone taking Bismark 40 on. Another small but interesting detail, is the ammo boxes on S2 & P2 15cm turrets during this time. Veteran ammo box set will come in handy. Also, there was a unique paint scheme used in October 40. Hull had slightly darker paint on bow, back to 1st 15cm turrets, and stern back to muzzles of 38cm D turret guns. Boot topping was not as dark as later, and A 38cm turret had rangefinder hoods. Very cool stuff.

So far the backdating changes I've identified are:

No rangefinder on conning tower

Louver vents on main level superstructure are full-louvered, not half plated off (Pontos provides the option for either, which is great for me!)

No upper spray shields above the forward secondary guns.

Quad flack guns not yet installed on the the platform above the Admiral's bridge.

Somewhat different orientation of a deck vent stack on the base of Turret Anton.

Rangefinders still on Turret Anton.

I haven't seen or heard about a darker hull color on the bow and stern; was this maybe just the first part of painting the Baltic Camo scheme?

Oscar's (the ship's cat) litter box was located in the main hangar bay instead of Admiral Lutjen's day cabin. :heh:

I'm sure there are more things to find out too... still debating whether I should aim for total historic accuracy or fudge a little for looks and add some bits that weren't yet installed. I really admire Josef Kaiser's 1/100 Bismarck ( http://www.kbismarck.com/models/bismarc ... aiser.html) and am going to at least attempt to get the same kind of look.

On a side note, I did some work on cleaning up/preliminary fitting of the props/rudders yesterday:

Next comes installing the grates for the sea chests and final cleanup of the hull.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:31 am 

mick wrote:
good luck with your build :thumbs_up_1:

Guest wrote:
Welcome back Jason,

Good to see you working on your original monster project. I too have taken a good deal of time off from modeling especially these huge 1/200 projects. Funds have been on the mend after constructing my Bismarck over a year ago.

Well anyhow it's great see the passion again. You have a large following here, I included.

Bill

Thanks for the support! Always thought my logs should start with a "hold my beer" and end with a nut-cruncher but I'll try to not disappoint. :-D

These big kits are expensive, especially when one starts stocking up with aftermarket goodies... entered my 40's not too long ago so when the big boxes show up on the porch and my wife is... *displeased* I just tell her it's cheaper than a convertible and a mistress so she should be happy. :joker:

Lucky for me though I bought most of this stuff piecemeal over the past 5 years or so and the cost has already been absorbed. Unfortunately that makes it easier to buy even more stuff for the kit and I have no budge for this project... :whistle:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:39 pm 

Looks great Jason, the color scheme I mentioned for October 40 comes from a photo. It is available through John Asmussens Bismark/Tirpitz website or his and Eric Leon’s German Camouflage vol I. Blucher had the same scheme around the same time. Very short lived. Defiantly not a shadow but lighter than any of the German dark greys. Check it out.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next