The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:01 am 

Proper thanks go to Sean Hert. If I get a review copy I'll post about it here.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:56 pm 

Brief bit of fun from right to left - the CCKW I forgot to wash & prime, the one I stuck to the tape upside down and forgot to flip, and one of the ones that has it's first coat of olive drab.

Attachment:
AFV_73515_LST_21.jpg
AFV_73515_LST_21.jpg [ 30.09 KiB | Viewed 4514 times ]

Plan is / was to paint the tarped area a faded OD, but I have also been experimenting with pre-shading a bit on armor and after I saw the one I had upside down it occurred to me that I should have left all of them like this so the top of the cab and canvas have a lighter tone. The trucks were painted black afte rthe white Tamiya primer to better bring out shadows, etc. I'm going to paint the one truck in the middle in OD this weekend and I'll post a comparison photo to show if it was a good idea or waste of time.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:11 am 

Some notes based on watching this 1944 LST training / familiarization film.

The tank deck could hold 10 Shermans (weight limitation), or up to 33 CCKW 2.5 ton trucks - clearly the 11 I have is insufficient if I want to stack the space full.

There are some details of the elevator starting here that show if I want to show mine in action I need to scratch build some pulleys and cables from the winch forward. This is visible in operation here. This also shows that the flat plate AFV Club shows you should install in one of the first steps should be left off unless the builder is depicting the elevator as down. My plan to have trucks driving over it is technically inaccurate and I should be showing some of the lighter vehicles that were stored on the main deck being offloaded.

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:13 am 

That is some very work you are doing on a very interesting Kit Tracy.....Cheers Mark

Winston Churchill

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:17 pm 

The last month or so have not been kind to those of us who have to paint in the (unheated) garage. The bow opening has been waiting for the right combination of temperature and time and I'm happy to report that less than a square inch of modelling was completed on Saturday:

Attachment:
AFV_73515_LST_22.jpg
AFV_73515_LST_22.jpg [ 28.37 KiB | Viewed 4384 times ]

I decided to build LST-262 (I'm a fan of the Me-262, plus she was at Normandy, which is also an interest, etc.) and there's not really a ton of good detail information on her paint. We can tell she was in Measure 22, but the actual inside of the bow doors varies quite a bit. The only photo showing this area shows it to be pretty dark:

Attachment:
AFV_73515_LST_23.jpg
AFV_73515_LST_23.jpg [ 100.37 KiB | Viewed 4384 times ]

Not that the LST beyond her has door inners that look a touch lighter. I've seen Haze gray, green, Navy Blue, Ocean Gray, and a Measure 22-like graded with different heights of the Navy Blue on each side. I decided to go with 5-O Ocean gray just to keep the bow area from being a bit of a black hole. The "deck" under the ramp will be better painted in hull red next, along with some weathering, and we should be largely done with the hull at that point - I'll just need to do the doors and ramp themselves.

I do have the AFV Club Photo etch for the kit as well and will be taking a look at that soon.

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:11 pm 

Hi Tracy!
Any progress on your LST?
I just ordered the photo-etch set today.
Will save my rant for another time.
Just wanted to see if you've pushed forward!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:38 pm 

Hey Rob - I had a big model day on Saturday and brought it along (group gathering to hang out and build) but didn't quite get to it. It's actually going to get SOME attention tomorrow or Wednesday because I want to have an update for the D-Day 75th anniversary on Thursday.

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:28 pm 

:puppy_eyes: Okay Tracy...had to poke.
You slipped to page 2...lol

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:36 pm 

Sorry - work's been busy (new owners of the company and they like me and have been tossing projects me way... sorta flattering at first but now I just wanna catch up) and a cold off and on has kept me off the work bench for the last 3-4 weeks.

Those new Black Cat Models sailors look tempting.... might have to pick up a set to sprinkle around. Maybe some soldiers if I do her beached.

Status is that I need another coat or two of 5-H on the superstructure and then I can mask and paint the decks.

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:14 pm 

Great build, I would love to see more!

Work in Progress: USS Arizona and Arizona Memorial

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:13 am 

almost.. aaaalllllmost got to it today.
Hoping to tomorrow.

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:36 pm 

Tracy, I'll be following your review with extra care now, apparently the Lifecolor special prize for the "best ship model" that the USS Princeton has earned me at IPMS The Netherlands contains the next items:

They had apparently overlooked the pack at the event, so at that moment they told me that they would have to send something else home to me. I didn't suspect that it would be anything but a Lifecolor paint set. I just got this picture today, with the message that they found it again... Anyway, I will also look for some photo-etch that can be thrown in.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:34 pm 

Hope you enjoy the build!

I did get a short bit of time today.. enough to have some airbrush problems and get maybe a coat of paint down on the navigating house level. Two things worth mentioning. The tolerances on this kit are extremely high and there's a couple of places where they apparently didn't consider paint or people building differently than they laid out in the instructions. The pilot house has two 20mm ready service ammunition lockers just forward of it, which you can see in the photo below:

Attachment:
AFV_73515_LST_24.jpg
AFV_73515_LST_24.jpg [ 89.96 KiB | Viewed 1955 times ]

The gap underneath forward is 'cause id don't fit no mo.' I had originally wanted to paint the two levels separately so that the ready service locker would look like a completely separate piece and not one attached to the piltohouse bulkhead with tape wrapped around it. I can scrape the paint down, but obviously there's the possibility of messing that up, so I think that for the second kit I have I'll just glue the navigation house down.

Second - the open box on the top was a fly bridge for piloting. There was a door that swung open at the rear for entry and a couple of details inside that super detailers can add fairly easily. The door can be cut with a razor saw, and some of the various fiddley bits are available from third-party companies.

Attachment:
LSTDeckHouseTop.jpg
LSTDeckHouseTop.jpg [ 116.36 KiB | Viewed 1955 times ]

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post