The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:21 pm 

Hello everyone! I just start building Tamiya's 1/700 IJN Yahagi with the nicely crafted Five Star photo etch detail set. My plan is a small diorama that shows the ship during operation Ten Go.

Attachment:
IMG_1817.jpg
IMG_1817.jpg [ 365.49 KiB | Viewed 2297 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Yahagi during heavy attack by the US Navy aircrafts during Teng Go. The ship took a terrific initial pounding, the engine room was hit by a torpedoe early in the fight, after that it hovered dead on the water. Soon it was hit by more torpedoes, bombed, and than sank at 7 April, 1945 with all of it's crew.
Yahagi_02.jpg
Yahagi_02.jpg [ 85.77 KiB | Viewed 2297 times ]

This is my first building log - also my first post as well, so before share the first pictures I would like to write some thoughts about myself - be careful boring part is coming:D.
I used to built a lot of models in the past as a kid, but - I guess like most of us - just for my pleasure without any references about the planes, cars, tanks etc. After a 15 year pause I started this hobby again about two years ago, but with a more adultish approach.
During my childhood I wasn't intrested in ships, I built only a 1/350 Bismarck - which was such a waste, I know, I know. A few years ago I started watching modelling videos on the internet, and - I don't know exactly why - I found myself intrested in ship modelling. Then I clicked on modelshipgallery.com and I lost in the beauties of it forever.
In the past two years I have built the italian battleship Roma in 1/700 scale and after that a japanese harbour a with the Shimakaze on it. Okay, it is still on progress, haven't done it yet...
Somehow I'm more and more intrested in IJN ships, that's why I chose Yahagi. I think japanese cruisers were elegant, nice looking ships but I didin't want to start with a heavy criuser like Maya due to it's complexity. I don't want to ruin it. Yahagi seemed just fine for me rigt now. I hope I can learn a lot during this build about ships and modelling techniques and I hope you will enjoy it as well. :)
I will try my best but I am far from a professional builder so who expect a museum quality ship please leave right now (no, please don't :D ).

Anyway comments, remarks, opinions are warmly welcomed. And please keep in mind english is not my native language. Thank you, guys!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:32 pm 

Good luck with your build. Enjoy the process.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:39 pm 

Look forward to this one!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:36 am 

Thank you Dan, Joe!

So let's start!

The Tamiya kit looks fine, but a lot of details should be dropped because the etching. First, the hull. I removed the degaussing cables from the sides. Actually it was pretty, but the FiveStar gives a better, more detailed one.

After that I filled in the lower porthole lines. Based on the reference pictures of the Agano class ships only Agano had those portholes, neither Yahagi’s, nor Sakawa’s or Noshiro’s blueprints doesn’t show the portholes. After I filled them with Mr Surfacer 500, I sanded the whole hull flat. The holes were so small I didn’t want to use Tamiya putty due to its thicker consistency.

Next job was to carve some lines to imitate the platings. In this size, when we observe a model from half a meter it looks like as we observe the real ship from quite a distance. So I tried to make them superfitially done.

Sakawa's hull, the platings looks clearly.

On this photo of Yahagi we can barely see the lines.

I used masking tape for guuidance and… wavy as hell. So I redo it, and... wavy lines again. For the third time I made them acceptable, they looks like staight lines for the naked eye.

Then I sanded the whole deck and glued the etched parts, that method was quite painless, the two parts fits beautifully, only a little seam line was seen in some part.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:31 pm 

Off to a very nice start.....Cheers Mark

Winston Churchill

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:49 am 

Great start, keep posting!

Greetings Christian

1/700 Aoshima IJN Yukikaze 1945
1/700 Rainbowmodel Fuyuzuki 1945

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:07 am 

Hello guys!

Little progress on the ship, last night I have done some bits and pieces together like the one torpedoe launcher, the torp storages - or what is that two boxes - and the frame above them.

And I think I reached the point when I have to figure the sequence of the painting out. The hull and the abovementioned frame part that holds the airplane should be unified totally. That means I'll have to glue and sand them together before the hull painting. But this means I have to paint the linoleum deck first and after I cover it can I start the hull.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:18 am 

Very nice work and attention to detail, accuracy. Yes, those are torpedo reload stowage bays.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:16 pm 

Very impressive. And fast! May I suggest for attaching that large photo etch deck you drill multiple small holes in the plastic deck and wick thin CA into the holes from underneath. Make sure it is pressed down perfectly before starting. This will ensure it is glued well throughout.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:26 pm 

Great work on your P/E. Looking very nice indeed.....Cheers mark

Winston Churchill

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:23 pm 

Thank you guys!

Joe! I have already glued the bottom flat part so I can't try your method, maybe I'm going to make the holes from above.

But now: back to the workbentch!

I primed the deck and also the starboard side. I have chosen black because I wanted to buid up the linoleum colour upon a darker base layer by layer. I am definitely not the kind of person who could search months to find and use the exact original colours on models. As I like to display Yahagi during it's final battle, dosens of effects modulate the final perception of the colours.
First: the size - 1/700 models are like looking to the actual ship from quite a distance. There is a good dissertation about scale painting on this forum, I found it interesting and useful.
Second: the ship was 3 years old and weared, refitted, weared again, refitted, weared... you understand.
Third: During the fight the hull and the deck were probably wet as hell thanks to the incoming bombs.
Four: weather conditions are always a mayor factor on colours. Before Yahagi and the other ships were rushed by the american aircrafts a short rain washed the ships, but during the clash the sun was shining (according the pictures).

I had quite a crazy idea. On the aerial photo I posted earlier sunlight came from portside. Therefore I primed only the starboard side of the ship, because that is the shadowy side and I want a bit harder contrast as normal light will give to the model. I haven't red this before, hope it will works! :eyebrows:

Now, the linoleum. I found this colour as a chip colour on the internet; I tried to mix it from my paints.

I used these colours until I liked the appearence of the mix. I paint it in 2-3 thin layers, then paint 2-3 additional layer with the same to the center of the linoleum surfaces between the fixing plates to get a more saturated and highlighted effect. As it is evening here, I couldn't make proper pictures in font of a white paper due to too big brightness difference.

Hope you like it, next step is to cover it!

See you later!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:37 am 

That is really working well for the Deck. Are you Painting each Brass Strip individually or scraping back to reveal the original Brass of the P/E.....Cheers mark

Winston Churchill

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:54 pm 

Small progress on Yahagi!

Mark! I scraped the tie-downs back, much realistic than paint I guess. More shiny. And easier as well. Next time maybe I will make the tie-downs of streched sprue. These are enormously oversized in this scale. Here are some pictures:

I have made some mistakes that I'll have to repair...later.

Okay, so I started to cover the whole deck with tape pieces. It's a real nerve-wracking job so I made the two big AA guns in the sides.
I found a good picture in the TAMIYA random japanese warship details booklet. Unfortunately it's in japanese so I just guessing that I choose the right picture of the 80 mm/60 Type 98 gun. :scratch:

The original plastic part had a waaaaay to thick splintel shield so I cut it and replaced with brass plate.

The brass tubes were so tiny I barely seen them but luckily they had been placed properly.

I want to shown Yahagi after the first torpedo hit. I found some pictures that shows ships with such damage.

I carved a hole in the waterline on the starboard side. Looks terrible right now, but that was my goal. A nasty, deadly hole just in the middle of the ship.

Cheers!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:00 pm 

Quote:
Unfortunately it's in japanese so I just guessing that I choose the right picture of the 80 mm/60 Type 98 gun.

Yup, that's what the caption says. It also notes that it's the one from the Agano.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:15 am 

Thank You, Timmy C!

I have painted the hull. based the portside with light gray then I make canning effect as I have seen on Koppalakki's marvelous ships. First time I have tried it, not the best but good for this time.

Port side.

Starboard side.

After the paint dried I paint the hull color. I did not have the actual Sasebo gray but AK's High Light Dunkelgrau (AK 165) just worked for me.

Port side.

And again, starboard side.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:21 am 

The overall effect is very well done so far. Those Brass Straps are a little big but they also look great.....Cheers Mark

Winston Churchill

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:50 am 

Most excellent work! The Oil Can effect is perfect for 1/700, subtle to see if you are looking, but yet easy to overlook if you aren't.

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:53 am 

Thanks guys! First try with the canning, on my next ship - don't know wich one yet - I'll try to make them in a denser arrangement.

Small update again, I have had to work a lot recently so didn't have enough time for modelling. Glued some etch and scratchbuilt part today to the lowermost level of the pagoda. - is it called a pagoda? :scratch: For me, it is.

Used matchstick for scale.

The lower bridge deck's antiaircraft platorm had a serious seeming line iissue wich I fix with stirene sheets and a lot of putty. :woo_hoo: Assembling of the paravane was a real challenge. I used rainbow modells paravane set. You can see the result on the starboard side of the shelter deck. This is the 3rd try, the first two are in the litter.

I just started the upper levels of the bridge and I have to say Tamyia done perfect work with that parts. Perfect fitting, good details - for example they molded the gyrocompass and the binoculars, and in the right place - okay, they are basically small spikes but nice job anyway.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:42 pm 

Okay, I did some weathering on the hull.
I have seen several astonishingly good salt, rust and other effect made on hulls recently so I tried to paint something similar. I haven't try chipping technique before and I didn't wanted to try it on this ship - maybe on the next, don't want to try too much new effect at the same time - so I painted everything on the surface with a fine brush. I used highly diluted paints in several layers to build up the effects. Unfortunately this method resulted in a bunch of small splotches revelaled by close up pictures. I wanted a more blended effect but I haven't succeded.

First I made salt streaks and patches with wihite paint. After that I painted the abrasions on the front, below the anchor, above the water line and some other places randomly. I used a colorised reference photo for this of the Hatsuharu. I used different tan, brown, gray and a bit of red colours. At the end I - with a help of a wire - I made small scratches with black. Here is the result:

I have also choosen the picture with the torpedoe hit that I wanted to imitate and made it.

Next time I try to blend the hull painting a bit with different filters.

Cheers!

Áron

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:26 pm 

Very nice. The hull effects are well done!

Report this post