The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1/350 Aoshima I-20
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:42 pm 

This Aoshima's Cruiser submarine Type-C (Junsen Hei-gatta sensuikan) of which 5 were built. This a re-box of their I-16 sub with newer Kaiten carrier version I-47 which was the renumbered I-22. All five took part in the Pearl Attack launching their midget subs or "Target Drones" near the harbor. All the target drone crews were killed except one who had the honor of being the first Japanese POW of the war. Out of all of the crews only two were volunteers. The decals let make any of the 5 in the class. I chose to build I-24.

Image2019-01-22_09-45-58
Hull builds very nicely

Image2019-01-22_09-47-32
Bollards and Brass Rod for the propeller shafts were about the only thing added to the hull.

Image2019-01-22_09-46-14
I missed that the Aoshima detail kit came with windows. These were remove and replaced with the detail kits'.

Image2019-01-22_09-30-16
There is a Veteran light on the very front of the periscope base and a deck light on the mast which could be lowered stowed. The wood deck for the tower must be put in before the halves and floor are glued together or you'll have a mess like I did. I had to cut it in half lengthwise to have any hope of installing it.

Image2019-01-22_09-29-33
The mast and flag holder (?) were scratch built using scrapes. What are the horse shoe shaped thing on the side? I am not sure they are placed in the correct location. The PE instructions say to locate on the sides, while the main instructions say the periscope base. If anyone has any insight I would be happy for the info.

Image2019-01-22_09-28-02
Used Colourcoats Sasebo Grey and IJN Hull Red with a Artvox wood deck designed for the I-47. The Artvox comes with 2 decks, one for submerged and the other for surface. It was preshaded and got a dark wash after it was glossed up with Aquaclear. Most PE was spayed with Tamiya Sasebo Lacquer jar paint.

Image2019-01-22_09-28-32
Four of the eight torpedo tubes. Just weathered a bit in the anchor well.

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: 1/350 Aoshima I-20
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:29 pm 

Nice work!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:54 pm 

Oh, man, that's a very sharp looking sub.

The first group of C Types are my favorite I-boats. Just as with the DDs, an 8 fish salvo was considered the most effective means of getting hits. These boats were so poorly used, though. Tethering them to the midgets at Pearl as motherships, instead of letting them free range attack within their designated zones, was a poor set of tactics, IMHO.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:57 pm 

Thanks guys. :thumbs_up_1:

The Target Drone is just two plastic pieces with a small PE sheet for tie downs to cradle and a front nose piece. There are also some fins and maybe a ladder on the PE sheet, but no mention of them in the instructions.

Image2019-01-29_08-23-13
Front PE piece.

Image2019-01-29_08-22-54
I cobbled together the rear prop guard and counter rotating propellers from scape and some Kaiten PE props and shaped a rear hub. The A model had the simpler prop guards. Was never super thrilled with the results. Removed a spacer to tighten the props up. There was also a PE hatch added to the conning tower and a small PE vent toward the back.

Image2019-01-22_09-37-52
Here she is painted up. I put some marking on, but the Pearl Harbor one used by I24 had no markings. The later midget raids used type B, so maybe a prewar trainer. when they were first modified. I wanted to do the props in Bronze, but heard the were black.

ImageMini
Mounted.. I found a picture and it looked like there were only four cradles holding the midget with no side bar. I had already mounted and was worried about I would rip the deck off. I added a Kaiten holder on the tail as the PE only provided 4.

ImageAa
Bigblueboy 25mm for the conning tower. Thank God I only need one...

ImageY
Some of the rigging. The big antenna comes with the Detail set and is tricky to roll. Flickr not taking anymore up loads so.. that's it for now.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:41 am 

Nice work on this one... Always wondered how these rod antenna's were made (scratched), so these come with a PE-set...

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:17 am 

The midget looks exceptional, along with her mounting on the deck.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:47 pm 

Excellent work overall! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Bob Pink. :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:32 pm 

Quote:
Always wondered how these rod antenna's were made (scratched), so these come with a PE-set...

Yes, the Antenna came with C-class (I16) Aoshima Detail set. There are 2 small rings that go on the antenna where it starts to form a cone. I broke off both the antenna leads trying to bend it. The antenna also comes with Common rail parts set. If you are doing a late war B-Class you would need the Photoetch for I-37, I19, and the Common Rail fret. The other thing I see is that B parts sprue is common to all subs I've seen so far. The propellers you use for the D-Class are the same as would use for the larger B and C classes for example.

Quote:
These boats were so poorly used, though. Tethering them to the midgets at Pearl as motherships, instead of letting them free range attack within their designated zones, was a poor set of tactics, IMHO.

I was thinking the same thing... Plus, I believe, that I24 waited in the area for 5 days to see if they heard from the Drone Crew. The other thing I read was that Kaiten Carriers were restricted in dive depth. I would imagine it would be the same hauling around a midget - plus the excess weight and drag it would create. Also here a better view of the cradle PE piece:

ImageMidget

Really it only rests on two of the pieces...

ImageFr
Front rigging completed.

ImageSide
Just added one more line going up the mast.

ImageFull
Full View

ImageCon
Top view

ImageWin
Windows. The ship is still pretty glossed up. Will at least need a some sort of mattish clear coat, weathering, and some touch up. Also, any criticism welcome. I am doing the Aoshima subs to try and improve my painting skills. I like the Colourcoat paints, but am getting a lot of grain when airbrushing. The Tamiya Lacquers (LP-13) are pretty idiot proof to airbrush, but really like the colourcoats colors.

Report this post