The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: !/200 HMS Hood
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:16 pm 

Morning all, Pete here in Rhode Island. I have been following the various Hood builds here and over at Britmodeller for ages. Greenglade-Thank you for showing us all how you made the under deck detail, that is a great lesson. We need an upate! EJ - thank you for everything you do/post/ help with/ and especially your website! the info you share with everyone is invaluable. Many thanks to the HMS Hood Association for their website and info, again, invaluable. This is a slow build, alternating with WW1 aeroplane builds, and the occasional tank and dinosaur ( 1/35 scratch built Allosaur skeleton) all squeezed in to the gaps between work and home life. Anyhoo, on to the build progress. In a nutshell, not much yet to show. The Trumpeter hull trenches have been filled and smoothed, leaving some "ripples" as per photo's. The propeller shaft fairings on the hull have been blended in to remove the square steps, and the shaft supports have been smoothed to a streamline cross section rather than the blunt square edges of the kit. I have added the stern anchor hawspipe, and made hawspipes for the bow anchors. The decks are fitted and all joints filled and smoothed, with the raised detail removed as per the Pontos instructions. The portholes have all been corrected as per the Hood Assn website. I am now trying to figure out how best to reproduce the hull armour plating. Thoughts are ranging from paint shadow shading to building up with 5 thou sheet. ANY IDEA'S OR THOUGHT'S ARE VERY WELCOME! The conning tower has been reshaped to match the AOTS plans, the blanking at the rear and under the .5" gun mounts is gone, and the rear of the Admirals signal platform has been modified as per EJ's model, re the flag locker supports. I have also added the cabin layout detail under the platform as per the AOTS plans. I picked up the Eduard sets to provide the extra PE bits and bobs for area's like this that the main Pontos set does not provide for. (stairs, ladders, hose reels, doors, etc) The hull at the moment is in a coat of primer to show up any blemishes that need attention. So while that's drying, I will try and figure out how to post some pictures! lol. Regards, Pete in RI.

Report this post